Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what should I have on hand?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I'm having surgery on june 16 and would like to take all precautions to have the scars heal as invisible as possible. What do you recommend that I get to apply (or take orally) after the bandages have been removed?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
i cant reply to your question, but am interested in the answers as well...

anyway, i wish you good luck, all the best and a quick recovery...

may i ask - and if you like to tell - if you are going to a cosmetics surgery?
havana8

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Check with your doctor, Anomaly, but I've read that taking Vitamin C with bioflavonoids before/after + Bromelain (some say before, some say before/after, some say only after) + Arnica after assists with bruising, swelling/inflammation and healing + Centella asiatica (Gotu Kola) before/after helps with shortening the healing time as well as scarring...

Arnica 12c Homeopathic Support for Trauma and Bruising
Homeopathic Arnica Montana is an FDA approved over-the-counter remedy traditionally used for trauma and bruising. A recent double-blind clinical trial using Arnica 12c in patients undergoing face lift demonstrated a significantly reduced the area of bruising in the treatment group. On average, there was 25% more bruising the in placebo group versus those taking Arnica. A report given in 2002 to the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery showed that patients taking Arnica 12c had significantly less bruising and swelling compared to placebo.

Indications for Arnica 12c include:
• Bruising
• Swelling/edema
• Pain from trauma

Arnica can be started immediately after surgery and is usually taken 1 to 4 times daily for 7 to 10 days. The product is delivered as small pellets that easily dissolve under the tongue.

REFERENCES: 1. Seeley BM, Denton AB, Ahn MS, Maas CS. Effect of homeopathic Arnica montana on bruising in face-lifts: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2006 Jan-Feb;8(1):54-9.
http://your-renaissanceestore.com/?pagename=DisplayProducts&product=CLSARNICA

Bromelain
Although studies show mixed results, bromelain supplements may reduce swelling, bruising, healing time, and pain following surgery and physical injuries. In fact an authoritative body in Germany called the Commission E (similar to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration) approved the use of bromelain for these purposes.

Some studies of animals indicate that bromelain (applied to the surface of the skin) may be useful in removing dead tissue from third-degree burns (particularly burns that go through all layers of the skin). This application has not yet been tested on people, but traditional and current day practices in Japan, Hawaii and Taiwan include use of topical bromelain to clean wounds and burns. Similarly, some clinicians may recommend this topical agent to reduce swelling from insect bites or stings.

Although not all experts agree, bromelain supplements may help suppress cough, reduce nasal mucus associated with sinusitis, and relieve the swelling and inflammation caused by hay fever. Bromelain is approved by the German Commission E for the treatment of sinus and nasal swelling following ear, nose, and throat surgery or trauma.

REFERENCES: many listed on the links below
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/bromelain-000289.htm
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Bromelain.asp?sitearea=ETO

I hope your surgery goes well! Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin A, C and E and zinc are recommended to prepare your body for surgery and speed up healing, according to this article. Personally. I would not use herbal supplements prior to surgery.

http://www.healthy-vitamin-choice.com/supplements-for-surgery.html

It's important to avoid Omega 3 (fish oil) prior to surgery, and a long list of other supplements, found in this link:

http://www.tuckthattummy.com/medication_list.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Very Happy
Hopefully,you have let friends know that you may need a little more attention during this time.
I would check with the Dr (like so many have suggested) I thought I had heard that VitC may thin your blood.
We will be sending good thoughts your way. And what a good time to read that new book,and rest.

Speedy recovery

Very Happy
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
To help scars heal - topical emu oil and/or vit. E afterward.

Check the thread on EDS where the two different types of scars are described and their treatment.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
racheli wrote:
i cant reply to your question, but am interested in the answers as well...

anyway, i wish you good luck, all the best and a quick recovery...

may i ask - and if you like to tell - if you are going to a cosmetics surgery?

Well, I wasn't going to say, but what the heck... I'm having a breast lift.. after nursing for four years and both babies preferring one over the other... I need it... Laughing

Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers... I'm hoping everything goes ok and no complications.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I hope it goes ok!
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I would be very careful with Vit E. It can also cause blood thinning which I didn't know prior to surgery and they had some problems controlling my bleeding because of it. There is a site called yes they're fake with a lot of good info about this procedure.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Also vitamin K -- and stop all blood thinning OTC right NOW Aspirin, Ibuprophen, etc. Your doc should have instructed you about this.

Keep the incisions moist with Neosporin ointment (or similar), and they will heal in half the time without scars.

Good luck and CONGRATS!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest after the surgery vit E and Neosporin ointment. It is a good idea to talk to a doctor (dermatologist) and ask what you can use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Have you looked at Actipatches? I used them with my nose surgery, and felt that they definitely made a diffence.

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product/breastaugmentation/healingdevices/actipatch/index.vm?procid=1&catid=1387&subcatid=1388&gclid=CMKejPzD4ZMCFQS7sgod42gkZA

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, anomaly. I had an upper and lower bleph done on March 20. My plastic surgeon's advice was to stop ALL vitamins, minerals and supplements -- not just the ones that have blood-thinning effects -- and NSAIDs for two weeks prior to surgery. Alcohol consumption was restricted but I can't remember the specifics at the moment, so check with your surgeon. I was also advised to start Arnica 30C pellets the day before surgery (four pellets, every four hours) and to continue them for two weeks after the surgery. I did not use bromelain, but had very little bruising.

For two weeks after surgery, I was required to apply prescribed antibiotic ointment to the incisions. After that, it was suggested I apply Dermatix (silicon scar gel, available at EDS) to encourage the scars to lighten and smooth out. I continue to use it every night and, while my incisions are still pink enough to be visible without concealer, they certainly are coming along very nicely.

HTH. Above all, follow your surgeon's advice. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
ritas
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
Wish you all the best!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi anomaly,

I wish you all the best with your surgery, and a smooth and quick recovery.

Also, I thought I would mention a product my derm's sec mentioned to me after I had some keratoses on my face removed. It's made by La Roche-Posay and is called Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator. I did not get a chance to try it (yet) so I can't comment on hwo it works. If you google 'Cicaplast' you'll find some info. But here are two links you may find helpful:

http://www.skin-etc.com/laroci.html

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:bpqFFL679fcJ:www.justbreastimplants.com/forum/post-op-recovery-forum/22775-3-week-appt-cicaplast.html+Cicaplast&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

All my best,
montrealgal
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all. I will check out all your suggestions.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |