Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Care Supplements Versus Creams: Which Is More Effective
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DStats19
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Some are saying that taking skin care products (pills/ ect.) is more effective than topical creams. Is this true?

If you are using skin care supplements does it effect all areas of the skin?

Are skin care supplements effected by whether you are on a full or empty stomach? If so, which are the best times to take them?

Do skin care products get to the deepest layers of the skin? With creams, the product only absorbs so far.

These are few questions I would like to know. Any and all useful information would be appreciated.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
- I believe one gets the best result by taking both supplements and applying topicals. I have to say that face brushing and supplements (particularly green foods and krill oil) do more for my skin than any of the topicals I have tried (yet)

- Yes, supplements have effects on all areas of the skin as they go through our digestive system

- It's usually information in the package saying whether to take the supplements on an empty stomach. I take quite a few supplements myself (listed in the thread "Vitamin holiday" from yesterday), but I only take barley grass on an empty stomach. It's supposed to be taken 30 min before breakfast for best absorption.

- The molecule size of the ingredients and the delivery system in the skin care product are vital factors for the product's ability to penetrate the skin. I tend to rely on products from reputable brands with ingredients that have some scientific backing for their effectiveness, like retinol and vit C serum.

HTH.Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I guess supplement is more effective. I take one a day woman each day, which provide vitamins that a woman need.
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with septembergirl on both. 'IF' I had to choose between topicals or internal supplements I would choose the supplements since they theoretically would benefit all tissues/cells in the body including the skin.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 am      Reply with quote
yeah I think doing both would be effective. Taking an internal supplement and applying topicals. I always found that creams only do good temporary on your skin and you have to keep on applying them to see effects. But I feel that internal supplements, it regulates your body so the skin gets better and nicer itself. Not sure if it's true or not but that's just how I feel.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I would say both. I use a variety of topicals and use heliocare and imedeen. Very Happy
may2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I take Vitamin everyday, It is a long time to see the positive effect.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Both. At the moment, I'm being lured by Dr Brandt's green tea tincture containing 15 cups worth of green tea without all the caffeine. I'll have to look into it further before I buy. There might be a cheaper manufacturer of such a product out there.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
Both. At the moment, I'm being lured by Dr Brandt's green tea tincture containing 15 cups worth of green tea without all the caffeine. I'll have to look into it further before I buy. There might be a cheaper manufacturer of such a product out there.

I use the antioxidant boosters with concentrated white and green tea. I have tried different types from Dr Brandt and Pure Inventions, that is the producer of the Dr Brandt's boosters.

They are expensive, and I take half a dropper (equivalent to 7.5 cups of green tea) in a glass of water every day. I have read that one should not exceed the amount of 10 cups of green tea a day.

Supplements are supposed to get better absorbed when taken in liquid form, and it's a great way of adding a touch of taste to plain, boring water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Just my opinion, but I think a good diet is better for skin than any supplement. Easy for me to say, as fresh fruit and veg are my favourite foods and practically all I eat. And I detest processed foods - nothing ever frozen or from a tin .. uggh! This is not so much for skin/health reasons, just that fresh tastes better.

With all the genetically modified crops, pesticides, chemical fertilisers and other poisons used in food production nowadays, who knows, maybe supplements are better? But I still think there may be a lot of as yet unidentified nutrients in fruits and veg, which you may not get from a supplement.

Of course, I still take supplements as well .. and pile on the topicals Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Diet helps to balance the cause of skin issues, and it takes a long time to see permanent results, but topical products will give skin the nutrition and protection it needs immediately.

Eating a diet very rich in bioflavonoids will help improve skin's resilience to daily environmental exposure, but again this improvement will require long term sustained nutrition.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
septembergirl-would you mind listing all the supplements you take? I've been interested in upping my supplements but there is so many out there to choose from. I currently take:

- MSM (about 8000mg p/day in powder form)
- Biotin (1000mg)
- Vit C (1000mg)
- Calcium (600 mg)
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
whoops nevermind Septembergirl. Ignore my message above. Just saw the Vitamin Holiday thread. Thanks for being so generous with you time.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |