Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to cleanse to remove Devita sunscreen & mineral make
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I've seen threads about the way you cleanse being important to make sure you fully remove sunscreen and mineral makeup.

Is it you should use an oil-based cleanser to remove mineral based sunscreens and make-up because they are not water soluable? What makes something a true "oil-based cleanser"? Just something with any trace of oil or a certain amount?

I use Devita Sunscreen which has zinc in it. Do I need an oil based cleanser to remove it?

I have been using avacado oil straight out of the bottle first followed by Exceptionally Gentle Cleanser by skincarecentral which contains:

Rose Hydrosol, Decylpoluglocoside, Distilled Water, Laurylglocoside, Geranium and Rosewood Oils, Crothix, Germall Plus

Do I need the avacado oil to remove Devita? I'd love to cut out a step if I can but don't want to end up with a face full of bumps as the result of not fully removing the Devita.

Also, would a cleanser with the below ingredietns be good for removing mineral based sunscreens/makeup:

Natural wheat germ oil castle, coconut oil castile, vegetable glycerine, citrus seed extract

Thanks.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:12 am      Reply with quote
You don't need an oil based cleanser to remove Devita. Anyway zinc is really good for you so you don't have to be worried about it. My favorite gentle remedy for ance is zinc paste.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I use makeup remover to remove the sunscreen, coz I think sunscreen is difficult to cleanse by face wash
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I use an oil based cleanser to remove my SS and MMU. I like Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm. It dissolves easily without leaving a residue.

If you have a cleanser and it remove makeup; most likely it will your sunscreen.

I disagree about zinc sunscreen residue being beneficial to the skin. I think it is potential pore clogging.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
autumn95 wrote:
I use an oil based cleanser to remove my SS and MMU. I like Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm. It dissolves easily without leaving a residue.

If you have a cleanser and it remove makeup; most likely it will your sunscreen.

I disagree about zinc sunscreen residue being beneficial to the skin. I think it is potential pore clogging.

(no offense intended) where did you get the information that zinc could be bad for the skin?
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:12 am      Reply with quote
I use sunscreen and mineral make-up and for a while was doing something similar to your current routine (herbal complexion oil first and then followed by Dermalogica cleanser)

I purchased a tube of the Karin Herzog Professional cleanser and really like that as I don't need to do 2 steps. Its a thick product like vaseline that takes all of my sunscreen and minerals off in one step.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I found that a cleansing milk does a good job of removing my MMU and sunscreen. I usually find those ss that are water resistent or waterproof will require a cleansing oil to remove...otherwise, it should be good?
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
autumn95 wrote:

(no offense intended) where did you get the information that zinc could be bad for the skin?

If you read my post carefully I said "zinc sunscreen" NOT zinc can be pore clogging. I wear MMU that contains zinc (dry form powder) and I Love MMU. I would not leave any traces of sunscreen on my face overnight. I think a face should be properly cleansed of sunscreen, dirt, makeup (regular or MMU) every night. Proper cleansing methods was learned when I took my esthetician course.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I read your post... I agree that mineral make up and such should be washed off. You were responding to a statement by me (about zinc not being bad for skin), with "I disagree" so I did assume that you were talking about zinc...

autumn95 wrote:

If you read my post carefully I said "zinc sunscreen" NOT zinc can be pore clogging. I wear MMU that contains zinc (dry form powder) and I Love MMU. I would not leave any traces of sunscreen on my face overnight. I think a face should be properly cleansed of sunscreen, dirt, makeup (regular or MMU) every night. Proper cleansing methods was learned when I took my esthetician course.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:37 am      Reply with quote
I think a big part of why sunscreens (including zinc ones) developed a rap as needing to be washed with an oil cleanser is because of other typical filler ingredients. So many physical sunblocks have tons of silicones that really gum onto your skin (to help the cream stay on).

But Devita doesn't have those occlusive ingredients, so it's not as hardcore to wash off. I use a cleansing milk or oil-based cleanser simply because that's what my skin likes best -- but I never bother with more than one type of cleanser. I think whatever you normally use should do the trick.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
I think a big part of why sunscreens (including zinc ones) developed a rap as needing to be washed with an oil cleanser is because of other typical filler ingredients. So many physical sunblocks have tons of silicones that really gum onto your skin (to help the cream stay on).

But Devita doesn't have those occlusive ingredients, so it's not as hardcore to wash off. I use a cleansing milk or oil-based cleanser simply because that's what my skin likes best -- but I never bother with more than one type of cleanser. I think whatever you normally use should do the trick.

I 100% agree. I use the Devita sunscreen and find that it isn't hard to take off at all. Just my regular cleanser works just fine. As for mineral makeup, it should also wash off easily with a gentle cleanser.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah. I think Devita can even be washed off with water.

ginnielizz wrote:

shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. I can now move onto a simplified cleansing routine with confidence!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |