Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)
Glucosamine and Niacinamide Cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
monarch
5% products discount

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a recipe for making a cream using Glucosamine and Niacinamide? I have been reading about the combination in helping with discolorations on the skin.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
You can ask the "Chemist" a question regarding recipe's at:

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com

If you decide not to go the DIY route, check out the Olay Difinity products, several have both of those ingredients.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:35 am      Reply with quote
This is from the Skinactives website:

Properties: Use for: atopic dermatitis, itching, sebum control, skin lightening

Use: add one teaspoon to 4 oz. of cream or lotion and mix. The powder will dissolve very quickly.

Further Information:

The biochemical effects of niacinamide include increased concentration of NADPH, the donor of reducing power in cell biosynthesis, an effect that translated in incraesed synthesis of collagen, involucrin, filaggrin, and keratin. Topical application of niacinamide also decreased UV-induced skin cancers and prevented immunosuppression by UV irradiation.

The effect of niacinamide on inflammation is through inhibition of histamine release by mast cells, neutrophil chemotaxis, and release of inflammatory mediators.

Niacinamide will also help with skin infections in diabetics. Please note that application of niacinamide is contra-indicated for people affected by Parkinson disease.

I would imagine that you could just add the glucosamine into the mix.
monarch
5% products discount

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the info. I am going to try to make a cream using both ingredients. I have read some info about the lightening of pigmentation spots using this combo.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Olay has recently launched a cream, Olay Definity Deep Penetrating Moisturizer, with fairly high amounts of glucosamine and niacinamide. You can read a good review of it here:

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/05/28/product-review-olay-definity-deep-penetrating-foaming-moisturizer/

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
This is an interesting topic that I shall keep an eye on. Thanks for bringing it up.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Olay has recently launched a cream, Olay Definity Deep Penetrating Moisturizer, with fairly high amounts of glucosamine and niacinamide. You can read a good review of it here:

http://www.futurederm.com/2008/05/28/product-review-olay-definity-deep-penetrating-foaming-moisturizer/

This product is mentioned in "The Science of Perfect Skin" book as a good product for repairing DNA.

I'm thinking of picking this one up and adding a couple of goodies to it... hmm

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I'm thinking of picking this one up and adding a couple of goodies to it... hmm

From the photo on the link it looks as if its a pump pack - it's a foaming moisturiser. You might not be able to tamper with the packaging. I'm thinking of ordering the niacinamide and making a serum with it.

Kassy, is there a rule about what you can and cannot add to oils? I added some wheat protein to my emu oil and I think it's gone off because it smells putrid.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
My rule if it the smell changes to something bad, pitch it out.

As for what can be added to what, an oil can be added to anything that has an emulsifier in it. In a pinch, I've also used a couple of drops of vodka to mix oils with other ingredients.. As for the Emu oil, that's kind of stinky on it's own..

If you have a base cream to work with, try using that with your actives. Or if you have a great cream or serum laying around just add the wheat protein to that.

As for the Olay, I'm planning to add it to a serum I made with A, C, E + Avocado oil. (The Avocado Oil has A, D, E + also a few other good things already in there.)

I'll tell ya Keliu, I absolutely am in love with Avocado Oil. I'm experimenting with the serum and my LightStim right now in fact.. It feels like heaven on my skin... it!

Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
My rule if it the smell changes to something bad, pitch it out.

As for what can be added to what, an oil can be added to anything that has an emulsifier in it. In a pinch, I've also used a couple of drops of vodka to mix oils with other ingredients.. As for the Emu oil, that's kind of stinky on it's own..

If you have a base cream to work with, try using that with your actives. Or if you have a great cream or serum laying around just add the wheat protein to that.

As for the Olay, I'm planning to add it to a serum I made with A, C, E + Avocado oil. (The Avocado Oil has A, D, E + also a few other good things already in there.)

I'll tell ya Keliu, I absolutely am in love with Avocado Oil. I'm experimenting with the serum and my LightStim right now in fact.. It feels like heaven on my skin... it!

I love avocado oil too, I'm using it with the Vaculifter - in fact I love most oils. Incidentally, emu oil shouldn't have any smell to it - mine only stunk after I put in the wheat protein. I don't like to use any creams (although I do use Retin-A) but everything else seems to congest my skin. Since I switched to oils I don't get breakouts anymore and my skin is no longer dry.

I already add CoQ10 to the emu oil, I think I'll try adding the niacinamide because that comes in powder form as well.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:26 am      Reply with quote
I've been having a read of the Skinactives website and they recommend combining 5gms glucosamine with 4oz SKB or Aloe Vera. So now I'm thinking I'll add the niacinamide as well to the mix. As I already use SKB this will avoid me having to apply yet another serum.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I've been having a read of the Skinactives website and they recommend combining 5gms glucosamine with 4oz SKB or Aloe Vera. So now I'm thinking I'll add the niacinamide as well to the mix. As I already use SKB this will avoid me having to apply yet another serum.

That would work!

I love SKB, I've been using it as a base with good results. The other thing I really like is the "Juice Beauty" serum. Those two together, with a couple of actives makes a really nice serum.

The main thing to keep in mind is to incorporate vitamins A, C + E as much as possible.. They really are the dynamic trio IMHO, and they work synergistically!

Keliu, you wouldn't believe how great my skin is looking, and it's as smooth and soft as a baby's no fooling. Between the LED and my simple scaled down serums, I'm enjoying the best skin of my life.

ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Keliu wrote:

That would work!

I love SKB, I've been using it as a base with good results. The other thing I really like is the "Juice Beauty" serum. Those two together, with a couple of actives makes a really nice serum.

The main thing to keep in mind is to incorporate vitamins A, C + E as much as possible.. They really are the dynamic trio IMHO, and they work synergistically!

Keliu, you wouldn't believe how great my skin is looking, and it's as smooth and soft as a baby's no fooling. Between the LED and my simple scaled down serums, I'm enjoying the best skin of my life.

Where do you buy your SKB? How do you use it?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:

From Skinactives:
Sea kelp can be used as a great nutritive active or as a base for our other products.
As a base it is perfect for users with oily skin types as it moisturizes without supplying extra oil.

Macrocystis pyrifera is a sea macroalgae rich in caragenaan, algin, minerals and many active chemicals. Fermentation makes the cell contents of this algae readily available to your skin, moisturizing it and providing the nutrients required to synthesize new components. This is the key ingredient (the Miracle Broth™) in Crème de la Mer, it is fermented by the same microorganisms that convert milk into yoghurt.

Use: may be added to your bath, applied directly to your skin or mixed with your favorite cream or lotion to give your skin the minerals, vitamins, amino acids and sugars that it needs for renewal. All this in a translucent, lovely "lotion" that is a pleasure to use.

Skinactives, Garden of Wisdom and NCN Proskincare are a few of the places you can purchase from.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:

I buy mine at NCN. Her prices are the best I've found, and her customer service can't be beat. She has several sizes available as well.

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/skin-care-products/skincare-product-catalog/sea-kelp.html

It's a wonderful clear gel substance loaded with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and sugars. It can be used as is on skin and hair, or mixed into just about anything. I use it as the base for my home made serums, and it's fabulous. Whatever I mix with it, just absorbs right into my skin.

It's also for sale at
http://www.skinactives.com/products/seakelp_bioferment.htm

but the price is higher than at NCN. This would be a good place to read more about it though.

ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
ruk1 wrote:

I buy mine at NCN. Her prices are the best I've found, and her customer service can't be beat. She has several sizes available as well.

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/skin-care-products/skincare-product-catalog/sea-kelp.html

It's a wonderful clear gel substance loaded with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and sugars. It can be used as is on skin and hair, or mixed into just about anything. I use it as the base for my home made serums, and it's fabulous. Whatever I mix with it, just absorbs right into my skin.

It's also for sale at
http://www.skinactives.com/products/seakelp_bioferment.htm

but the price is higher than at NCN. This would be a good place to read more about it though.

Thank you, Kassy. This skb stuff sounds like a really good thing for the skin. I will have to check it out.
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 13, 2024 7:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |