Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Suggestion for early 20s~ Thanks!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi there...

I've a couple of questions here.. what are the products that u'll suggest for an early 20s girl? I've fairly sensitive, acne prone and normal-oily skin... and quite a good bit of scarring..

I'm thinking of incorporating some retinol-A products and maybe a mild eye cream to my regime.. Any suggestion for brands?

I'm now using The Body Shop aloe foaming cleanser and jurlique herbal recovery gel and jurlique calendula moisturiser..

Thanks!!
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm early twenties too and have found a routine that will hopefully help you. My skin is slightly dry/normal.
I use:
1) CE ferulic (antiox/photoprotection)
2) Olay Total Effects (good source of niacinamide)
3) Anthelios SX (when not in sun)or Bioderma Fluide/Anthlios Fluide Extreme (in the sun)

At night:
retinoid (i use renova bc my skin is slightly dry)

So i would suggest for you:
1) Vitamin C serum- CE ferulic is a GREAT one, but if your skin is prone to breakouts/oily you might want to try Phloretin CF by SkinCeuticals, its their newest antiox serum
2) Moisturizer w/ niacinamide- niacinamide has numerous clinially proven effects (even shown to help acne)
I would suggest an olay moisturizer, or a really great one is Clinique Continous Rescue Antioxidant Moisturizer (3 diff types- get the one for oily/combo)- its has one of the best antioxidants: Eukarion-134 which is renewable and has niacinamide (lower conc. to olay however), i personally get the olay bc its cheaper and I want high % niacinamide.
3) photostable sunscreen like bioderma of la roche posay, anthelios sx available in U.S is a good spf 15 daily, but its very moisturizing so may not be good for oily skin.
4) retinoid- I was at first concerned about using a rx retinoid at only 21 but numerous studies and derms have said its best to start early and believe everyone should start a retinoid in their twenties as the BEST preventative anti-aging treatment. Rx retinoids w/ tretinoin are much more potent than retinol products, however retionol is still a good choice esp. since you are young.
5) gentle cleanser- Cetaphil and Cerave make great ones

Hope this helps,
Ocean
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
IMO eye creams are a waste of money. Dr. Leslie Baumann states to use whatever you use on your face under your eyes. In addition, I just reread your post and want to mention that an rx retinoid would be your best bet for helping to get rid of scarring/acne. It accelerates skin cell renewal to diminish scars, blemishes, and hyperpigmentation on the skin. Retinol is not strong enough and is usually in a moisturizing base that can clog pores.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ocean14
Retinol is not strong enough and is usually in a moisturizing base that can clog pores.

Question, although I am not in my 20's, but Ocean 14 you made a comment about Retinol can clog pores. Why do you say this, do you have experience? Do others use or have used products that contain Retinol like in a base moisturizer and it is causing clogged pores? Just Curious!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Since you have acne prone skin, I highly recommend you look into the Clarisonic skin brushwww.clarisonic.com It's an expensive initial investment that's worth it. Many posters here consider it one of the best things they have added to their skin care.

If you can't afford the Clarisonic, there is the cheaper Pretika which seems like a Clarisonic knockoff. HSN has it for $45 with customer reviews available:

Pretika Sonic-DermaBrasion Facial System
HSN Item: 278-319 $45
Cleanse, Exfoliate, Refine and Polish
http://beauty.hsn.com/pretika-sonic-dermabrasion-facial-system_p-3702251_xp.aspx?web_id=3702251&ocm=sekw
This handheld facial care system uses sonic technology to gently exfoliate and deep clean your skin for a radiant, younger-looking complexion in just 4 minutes! The water-resistant SonicDermabrasion™ Facial Brush has a 30-second timer ensuring even exfoliation with the Microdermabrasion scrub, while the Hydrating Firming Complex combats fine lines, wrinkles and discolorations. With two Micro-Fiber Bristle Brush applicators for a fast, easy way to get beautiful, smooth, rejuvenated skin. Rechargeable.
HSN video on it:www.mefeedia.com/entry/pretika-sonic-dermabrasion-facial-system/7895237/

If you can't afford that, invest in a microfiber/microdermabrasion cloth or sponge. You can get the PSF one here at EDS or do a search here on EDS and you'll find info on many sources. I like the "microdermabrasion" sponges sold on Ebay by Stan or his wife YummySweetz:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthankyoustan
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZyummysweetz

For the scarring, you might consider Epidermx which is a microdermabrasion cream
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/naturderm-epidermix-ii-p_7519.htm
Also, you can read about dermarollers here at EDS (use .75mm and up for scarring):
LONG dermaroller thread
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22460&start=0
Discounted Dermarollers for EDS members
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29392

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I am early twenties. I use the pretika brush with a gentle cleanser. I make my own, but you could just get a gentle cleanser. I do honey masks. For most stuff I like 100% pure products. My eye cream is the caffeine one from 100% pure. I have some PSF (pure skin formulations) that I bought from EDS. The R&R toner is awesome. If you want a whole new routine, the PSF kit for combo skin would be good to get I think. I love Devita for sunscreen. I love Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum for acne, and recently also the PSF acne mud masque.
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi..

I see.. thanks for the suggestion ocean.. So which brand of retinoid do u suggest i use? Roughly what percentage is it? Also, for olay total effects.. is there like a different brand? what's niacinamide for?

Yup.. i do have a clarisonic.. But i do feel that my cleanser is not foaming enough.. and really feel the clarisonic brushing on my skin.. is that normal? cause i dun remember i've that feeling when i first use them..

I've tried epidermx before.. somehow i get redness all over.. i'm one of the rare ones who can't use tolerate the active ingredients in it.. =(

Thanks for the help!
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Just to clarify.. i mean.. for olay total effects,, is there like a different range? for sensitive skin or oily etc.. thanks!
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
Olay Total Effects has a number of diff types but make sure to look at the ingredients to see if it as niacinamide. For example Total Effects Blemish Control seems good but lacks niacinamide, vitamin B5, green tea extract, and other ingredients.
Total Effects line may be a bit heavy for acne prone skin, so try looking at the Olay Definity or Regenerists lines which also have niacinamide.
Another choice, is Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel, which also has niacinamide and lots of antioxidants
Clinique Continuous Rescue Antioxidant Moisturizer is for oily skin is a great choice too.

For Retinoids, I use 0.25% but plan to move up to .5%. Its always best to start slow bc its very irritating and u should apply every other night for the first few weeks. There are lots of cheap places to buy online without a rx. RX retinoids are the best treatment for acne and anti-aging.

Berquis:
Retinol does not clog pores, I was just saying some products have ingredients in the moisturizer that can clog pores bc they try to reduce irritation that retinol may cause by making it very emolient and moisturizing. Retinol is actually good for pores- stimulates skin cell renewal
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Reasons why niacinamide is a great ingredient:

Effective moisturizer

Treats inflammation

Helps repair DNA damage caused by UVR and can lessen UVR-induced erythema

Improves skin firmness, skin tone, fine lines, and wrinkles

It helps skin resist photodamage and delays onset of certain types of photodamage

Reduces yellowing, wrinkling, red blotchiness, and hyperpigmentation

Stimulates synthesis of collagen, involoucrin, filigrn and keratin

Increases biosynthesis of ceramides and other strateum corneum lipids to improve skin barrier

Decrease hyperpigmentation and increase skin lightness

***all these facts were proven in research trials that can be seen in articles on pubmed and other sites that publish science journals
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 am      Reply with quote
I see.. thanks for the information..

Can i know which brand of retinoid do u suggest? Thanks! .25% sounds good to me.. seeing that i've always have problem with using strong products..
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:02 am      Reply with quote
I have similar skin as you, but I am very prone to dehydration (while combating oiliness, great!) and I don't have much scarring, although I do have porous skin which has in the past a tendency to develop pitting from poorly healing blemishes/congestion.

My suggested skincare aims -
1. effective moisturisation to strengthen the skin barrier, which will in turn help balance the skin and decrease sensitivity
2. (are you still breakout prone?) if so, Differin may help with existing acne related issues, otherwise a mild retinoid would probably be good for refining skin texture
3. find products with functional actives like vitamin C and niacinamide, and nice humectants like glycerine and other plant sugars
4. sunscreen especially if you are going to start a retinoid
5. a better cleanser than one from the Body Shop!
6. and of course, it is nice but not a necessity, include a product which has good anti inflammatories and anti oxidants, like a green tea serum
7. depending on if your skin likes it, an effective exfoliation product to help enhance skin turn over

I definitely recommend an eye cream, honestly once you start seeing mild degredatin to skin texture in that area a few years down the track, it will be too late to "prevent" further development of lines... just because you can't see aging it doesn't mean it's not happening!

Also another thing I have learnt is, just because you have oily skin it doesn't mean you need to over cleanse or under moisturise. I moisturise intensively at night and whenever possible during the day.
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if i'm under-moisturising at the moment.. I'm only using herbal recovery gel and very little calendula cream to moisturise..

i can fully understand what u mean by dehydration while combating oiliness =)

I always have that issue when i use products dealing specifically with acne. .which tend to worsen the situation after slightly improving..

Yup.. i used to stay from the body shop products.. but while searching for something which is foaming.. i find this rather OK.. seeing i only cleanse my face with it.. don't find this too stripping..

i do exfoliate with rice bran powder + other stuff..

Thanks for the suggestion. any recommendations for retinoid?
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:09 am      Reply with quote
What about eye cream/ gel? But i tend to get milias from these.. otherwise... it stings..
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 am      Reply with quote
alimwj wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. any recommendations for retinoid?

Retinoids are prescription strength. Retin-A, Differin and Tazorac are recommended for oily, acne-prone skin, and Renova is often prescribed for anti-age purposes.

If you want an OTC retinol product, PSF 0.5 % or 1 % Retinol or SkinMedica Retinol complex are quality products, carried by EDS.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote
alimwj wrote:
Yup.. i do have a clarisonic.. But i do feel that my cleanser is not foaming enough.. and really feel the clarisonic brushing on my skin.. is that normal? cause i dun remember i've that feeling when i first use them..

Maybe you are pressing the brush into your skin which is not necessary. Let the Clarisonic do the work versus hand pressure.

Regarding your cleanser not foaming enough, every cleanser is different. Some don't foam at all. But since the cleanser you use has foaming in its name (The Body Shop aloe foaming cleanser), does it foam more when you apply it to your face manually? If not, then it's the cleanser not "living up to its name". I don't find the need for a foaming cleanser though - especially with the Clarisonic.

For moisture, have you ever tried emu oil? It works for most people of varying skin types and seems to help balance the skin as the oil is similar to human oil. You can get a sample of it at Diana Yvonne. You could also try samples of some of her cleansers if you are unhappy with your current one:
http://www.dianayvonne.com/category/179availablesamples/

Nanci of NCN has a new foaming cleanser you might want to try - it has a foaming pump too (even the sample size). She sells samples (and her customer service is excellent - you might email her with your skin concerns and ask for her recommendations). She also has a rhassoul cleansing bar that might be good for you as well (you could ask for a sample to try):
All NCN Cleansers www.ncnproskincare.com/skin-care-products/exfoliate/cleanse-tone.html
NCN Sample Page
http://www.ncnproskincare.com/skin-care-products/skincare-product-catalog/samples.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Before you add anything try drinking more water and eating less or no processed foods. I've found those small changes made a huge difference in my skin! I've used the acne treatment gel from Best Bath Store with success but seriously try drinking more water and cut out processed foods before you spend extra money on anything.
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
So it's not possible to get OTC retinoids products? does that mean any OTC will be retinols instead? Thanks!

I see.. so i just glide through my face with the clarisonic?

Yeah.. that comes in a foaming bottle.. so basically i get foams with the cleanser.. I'm waiting for the emu oil to arrive.. I've ordered one with rosehip... Hopefully they help with scarring..

THANKS!!
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
yea all OTC products are retinol. To get retinoid (tretinoin which is the active ingredient) you have to have a prescription. I got a prescription for mine for Renova seeing as it is the less irritating of the diff types of retinoids bc its in an emolient base. However, it was very expensive ($150+) bc insurance didnt cover it, so I am going to be ordering mine online next time at sites such as medsmex, inhousepharmacy, alldaychemist etc, where you dont need a prescription. Or I will just get a rx for a generic Retin-A which is cheaper.
If you wanted to go OTC definitely try a product with retinaldehyde like Diacneal. Retinaldehyde is stronger than retinol.
alimwj
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
ocean, what do u mean by rx for a generic Retin-A?

Thanks.. sorry.. i'm so confused with the many different forms of vit A cream..
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not Ocean14 but Rx stands for prescription. Generics are cheaper but still prescription drugs.

In the U.S., you need a prescription (Rx) for retin-A/retinoids. Or you can get them thru online venues thru other countries like medsmex, alldaychemist, etc.

In the U.S., you can get retinols and retinaldehyde (like in Avene's Diacneal) in over the counter products. The highest retinol product I've seen (and I use) is Leaf & Rusher Active Serum which includes 2% retinol and ester C. The Leaf & Rusher Sensitive Active is the same product but 1% retinol. www.essentialdayspa.com/original-tx-m_709_710.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
How do u find the leaf rusher? so it's like a serum?
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
alimwj wrote:
How do u find the leaf rusher? so it's like a serum?

I already posted an EDS link to the Leaf & Rusher Active Serums.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks..
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
yea all OTC products are retinol. To get retinoid (tretinoin which is the active ingredient) you have to have a prescription. I got a prescription for mine for Renova seeing as it is the less irritating of the diff types of retinoids bc its in an emolient base. However, it was very expensive ($150+) bc insurance didnt cover it, so I am going to be ordering mine online next time at sites such as medsmex, inhousepharmacy, alldaychemist etc, where you dont need a prescription. Or I will just get a rx for a generic Retin-A which is cheaper.
If you wanted to go OTC definitely try a product with retinaldehyde like Diacneal. Retinaldehyde is stronger than retinol.

Avene Diacneal is not that simple - it contains 0.1% retinaldehyde + 6% glycolic acid.
It irritates me very much may be due to glycolic and I`m still struggling with it.
if you are US- or Canada-based, I would rather suggest Avene Retrinal - it contains the same 0.1% retinaldehyde, but without glycolic acid.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |