Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can skin be dehydrated & also producing oil @ the same t
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I feel that my skin is dehydrated or dry sometimes as it's flaky but it also produces enough oil to melt off my makeup. Especially my nose...it produces quite a lot of oil. I heard that if you have enlarged pores, you'll tend to produce more oil...true?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, your skin can be oily and dehydrated at the same time but probably not in the same exact area. I feel that I have this condition, too. I tend to be oily in the t-zone but dehydrated on cheeks. What about you?
bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is also dehydrated, but maybe not as oily as your nose could get.

Try hydrosols like rose water or orange blossom water. When our skin gets hydrated, it will know that it doesn't need to produce so much oil
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
If the areas are dry and oily then its most likely cause by some products that you are using. When your skin gets too irritated or dry it can produce excess oil to try to compensate.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I think your skin can be oily and dehydrated at the same time. Even in the same area. What it really is: your skin is dehydrated and is overproducing oil to try to compensate. Often you get stuck in a bad cycle with this if you treat your skin harshly. Best bet is to use a good balancing moisturizer. Emu oil works well for most skin types.

Don't know the answer about enlarged pores though. Best bet is to see a good aesthetician or dermatologist and see what they say.

I do know from personal experience: using the Clarisonic face brush and spot treating my flaky nose with a "microdermabrasion" sponge from Ebay Stan (to get in the nooks and crannies) has made a big difference in my pores (look more refined, smaller). A one year after visit to the same aesthetician as my 1st ever professional facial, and she commented how much better my pores were - especially my nose! She hardly had to do any extractions this time around!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely. Oil and water are two different things. Topicals can confuse the skin and result in too much oil, not enough moisture, etc.

I have ALWAYS had oily skin, but treated it, um, sternly, which resulted in dehydration.

What you're going for is a balance. Simple, kind skin care. Which usually has to change with the seasons and your environment.

And don't forget your water intake. Every makeup artist I know has mentioned at one time or another, they can tell immediately if an actress is drinking her water. Especially actresses they work with regularly.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
Definitely. Oil and water are two different things. Topicals can confuse the skin and result in too much oil, not enough moisture, etc.

I have ALWAYS had oily skin, but treated it, um, sternly, which resulted in dehydration.

What you're going for is a balance. Simple, kind skin care. Which usually has to change with the seasons and your environment.

And don't forget your water intake. Every makeup artist I know has mentioned at one time or another, they can tell immediately if an actress is drinking her water. Especially actresses they work with regularly.

That's interesting, Sidda. So what were the signs of low water intake as reflected on the skin?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I recognize the combination of blackheads and excess of oils and dry flakes on the nose. I agree with the advices from lunarmm. My choice of exfoliation is facial dry brushing. It removes dry flakes, and I believe it contributes to reducing sebum production.

Harsh peelings and acids are no-no for this skin condition. The key is to get the skin back into balance. Your best choice will be a hydrating moisturizer that's not too rich in oils.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
<<So what were the signs of low water intake as reflected on the skin?

Basically, plumpness. I guess we call it "elasticity." I remember one makeup artist friend called it "bounce-back-ability." Laughing She said when she applies liquid makeup, the hydrated skin has more "give and take," and makeup slides on more smoothly.

I think we all know this, intuitively. What we DON'T know (I'm talking about myself here, of course) is what the ideal amount of H2O for each of us is. Yesterday I felt so dehydrated, I could not drink enough water. And I didn't get up to pee in the night or anything. I don't know where it came from, or where it went.

I have a friend whose skin is dry-Dry-DRY. He never drinks water. He pees once a day. Unsurprisingly, as he ages, he is becoming more and more like a little hard nut. I've bought him Hyaluronic Acid capsules and creams and lotions. He says he always feels much better when he uses them. But he still refuses to buy them, himself.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack a thread.

It's a balance. The oil and water thing. Which changes with climate, season, environment, age, diet. Different for everyone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hydration Calculator
http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Or, easy tip. Hope I'm not being too graphic but watch the color of your urine. You don't want it getting dark!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Except right after taking a multi vitamin or B complex. That will give you a deep color. It tends to shock me when I see it, then I think, "Oh. Right. I ingested a while ago."

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, my friend has the same problem.
The beauty advisor told her to use more hydrating products.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Actually I'm hydrating my skin, even my nose too but still. I feel that overnight, my face especially my nose will become slightly greasy. I feel that my MMU is dehydrating my skin in the morning but still it doesn't seem to stay on my t zone... sigh I'm so annoyed by my stupid skin... Sad
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem! I'm not so oily everywhere else, but my nose gets pretty darn oily, so I usually oil blot my nose and face sometimes throughout the day...But some have said that oil blotting sheets makes you produce more oil? Has anyone here ever experienced that or think that is the case? I'm kind of addicted to oil blotting my nose... Sad And I too do get blackheads on the nose as a result I think...Urghhhh...why can't we all just have perfect skin!!! Wouldn't that be the day!
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with everything people had said on this topic. I was having such problems with whiteheads and so many clogged pores, more than usual and I kept treating them with topicals and harsh face products thinking that my skin needs products to dry it up, cause I kept getting more and more oily skin. I mean in a matter of minutes my face was an oil slick. What I learned from a derm was my skin was very dehydrated and my skin was overcompensating by producing more oils because I kept trying to dry them all up and the clogged pores, whiteheads and breakouts was because I was using harsh products. I finally learned it was about balance, and try not to get on the cycle of drying your skin, because the drying goes really deep and it does take a while to get your skin back to "balanced". Although I still have some clogged pores and small breakouts, I just spot treat them and try to keep my hands off of them!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree that it's about balance too.

bergquis wrote:
I agree with everything people had said on this topic. I was having such problems with whiteheads and so many clogged pores, more than usual and I kept treating them with topicals and harsh face products thinking that my skin needs products to dry it up, cause I kept getting more and more oily skin. I mean in a matter of minutes my face was an oil slick. What I learned from a derm was my skin was very dehydrated and my skin was overcompensating by producing more oils because I kept trying to dry them all up and the clogged pores, whiteheads and breakouts was because I was using harsh products. I finally learned it was about balance, and try not to get on the cycle of drying your skin, because the drying goes really deep and it does take a while to get your skin back to "balanced". Although I still have some clogged pores and small breakouts, I just spot treat them and try to keep my hands off of them!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:04 am      Reply with quote
what a great thread! than you, Stardustdy for bringing it!
I would never imagine that my skin gets this oily just because it is dehydrated. and yes, it was "logical" for me to try to dry all the oil up, always getting just more and more oil Embarassed
while all my skin needs is more moisture. ok, I`m smarter now Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 am      Reply with quote
My answer is HECK YEA! Oily but dehydrated skin is probably the worse combination of skin problems, you cannot moisturise without causing more congestion but without moisturising it worsens oil production...

This winter I switched to all cream/emulsion based products and I rarely ever use gel cleansers or astringents.

Basically I bit the bullet and switched to a rich cleanser, actually my skin is so comfortable now that I can use cream massage packs without even rinsing off.

I also started using serums underneath my moisturiser, they really help to push moisture deeper into the skin.

In the meanwhile I did not dare to neglect exfoliation, I use a combination of a gentle physical scrub, an enzyme peel, and a control cream. I have to exfoliate very regularly and that ensures I am removing any environmental build up on my skin, and also boosting my skin turnover to avoid developing white heads and microzits.

I use Differin about 2-3 times a week and it really helps to regulate skin turn over and in turn results in more subdued sebum production, but I've also added a constant source of niacinamide and occasionally vitamin C which also helps to regulate sebum production and strengthen the skin to help achieve some sort of long sought after homeostasis!
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:42 am      Reply with quote
yes, they can appear at the same time.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I believe that many people with oily or partly oily/partly dry skin would benefit from using rich cleansing creams in stead of cleansing gels, that always are recommended...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Actually, I believe that many people with oily or partly oily/partly dry skin would benefit from using rich cleansing creams in stead of cleansing gels, that always are recommended...

I`m so accustomed to foaming cleansing gels that I don`t feel my skin is cleaned enough unless it is "stripped" clean. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Stripping your skin clean is what is causing all your oil production. I was like you Aiva. I thought too, I need to strip it clean, but your skin freaks out and tries to put the moisture back in itself. You give the moisture to your skin by balance. It may time some trial and error to figure out which products balance your skin and does not cause the breakouts, but you skin will feel so much better when it is balanced. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:11 am      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
Stripping your skin clean is what is causing all your oil production. I was like you Aiva. I thought too, I need to strip it clean, but your skin freaks out and tries to put the moisture back in itself. You give the moisture to your skin by balance. It may time some trial and error to figure out which products balance your skin and does not cause the breakouts, but you skin will feel so much better when it is balanced. Very Happy

thank you, bergquis!
I love this forum!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I have to agree with what others have said. I suffered from oily t-zone and dry cheeks. So hard to find a balance that worked. I was told that my problem was that I was stripping off all the oil my skin needed and so it overcompensated by reproducing more and more. I reluctantly took the advice of using oils on my skin. After a month now, my skin is very balanced, my pores are hardly noticeable and it is rare to wake up with that very oily t-zone.
I think it is worth considering as we age, that it is time to reevaluate these issues and break away from what we have always done in the past. I had not really changed much since a teenager, except that blemish treatments were way too drying, so I just put up with them and covered them as best as possible. (no breakouts this month either!) The whole idea of using oil to combat oil seemed crazy, but it has worked well for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
This is a great thread! Very Happy

So ladies, do u think I should use a hydrating foundation opposed to an oil controlling mattifying foundation during the day? The funniest thing is no matter what I do, my nose is producing so much oil that it's enough to fry an egg!! Confused

Other parts of my face is quite neutral I found.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |