Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Is there sunscreen product with PA+++?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I am looking for a sunscreen product with PA+++. The best if it's all natural.

Right now I am using La Roche Posay. It's not bad, but it's not natural and it has no PA+++ either.

Could any of you give me some suggestions?
Kissmark
5% products discount

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi what do you mean La Roche Posay has no PA+++? PA+++ is just a rating system for UVA protection, used in Japan. LRP products usually have excellent UVA protection, but labeled in PPD rating instead of PA rating. The LRP products in Japan are all labeled PA+++.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 am      Reply with quote
Kissmark wrote:
Hi what do you mean La Roche Posay has no PA+++? PA+++ is just a rating system for UVA protection, used in Japan. LRP products usually have excellent UVA protection, but labeled in PPD rating instead of PA rating. The LRP products in Japan are all labeled PA+++.

yes, Kissmark is very right. PA+++ is just a japanese rating system for UVA protection. I would rather rely on PPD rating, it is more accurate.
LRP sunscreens have a very high PPD and it should be written somewhere what exactly.
and yes, these are chemical sunscreens and "not natural" of course. You might have a look into all-physical (mineral) ss, however physical ones usually have lower PPD. I`ve switched from LRP Fluide Extreme 40 SPF to Devita 30 SPF, which is all-physical sunscreen.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:48 am      Reply with quote
I always feel that sunblock is very greasy, do you have any suggestion of a sunblock which is non- greasy feeling?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:14 am      Reply with quote
LRP is extremely greasy for me too. I have combo-oily skin and am very happy with Devita now. I even use a little bit of another moisturizer under it and it is still not greasy! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
wancy_2000 wrote:
I always feel that sunblock is very greasy, do you have any suggestion of a sunblock which is non- greasy feeling?

Devita sunscreen isn't greasy.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I thought PA+++ only applies to Japanese sunscreens?
Kissmark
5% products discount

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
I thought PA+++ only applies to Japanese sunscreens?

PA+++ applies to any sunscreen that is sold in Japan. So when the European or American brands come to Japan, they have to label their sunscreens in PA system. This is required by the Japanese FDA. Sometimes the European brands also label PPD inaddition.

By the way just for additional info, Clinique's City Block spf 40 is labeled PA++ here, which means the uv protection isn't that high.

For non greas susncreens I like Shiseido or Sofina.
bugfish
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
thank you very much for the above answers. I used to hear that spf means protection from UVA/UVB, while pa+++ means our skin wouldn't become dark from the sun
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:23 am      Reply with quote
bugfish wrote:
thank you very much for the above answers. I used to hear that spf means protection from UVA/UVB, while pa+++ means our skin wouldn't become dark from the sun

not quite right
SPF stands for UVB protection, that is - how long you can stay in the sun without getting burned.
that is - if your skin allows you to stay in the sun without protection 20 min not being burned, SPF factor shows how many times that time you can stay in the sun. (for ex. with SPF 15 you can stay in the sun 15x20 min=300 min - theoretically at least).

while PPD or PA+++ stands for UVA protection. and that`s UVA what is to blame for foto-aging and skin cancer.

that said - if a sunscreen has high SPF number but low PPD or PA number, it`s doing little work for you in fact.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Kissmark wrote:
For non greas susncreens I like Shiseido or Sofina.

Shiseido one is not pure all-physical, it contains chemical ingredient Octinoxate for UVB protection, which can have some weak hormonal (estrogen-like) effects.

here is the thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28764&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=shiseido&start=0

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:17 am      Reply with quote
A PA+++ only has a PPD of about 8, so it's not very good UVA protection. That said, a ton of people swear by Shiseido spf 55 and Sofina Lucent, which are both PA+++. They both supposedly have a matte texture.

If you're looking for great s/s with nice finishes, skincarecentral.biz has the best IMO. My favorites are SVR 50, Avene Fluide 50+, and Bioderma Max Fluide 50+.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
bellasera
5% products discount

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I read somewhere before that PA+++ has a PPD of 8 or above. So, for example, the LRP Anthelios, that has PPD 32, will be labeled “+++” using the PA system and another sunscreen I use with PPD 10 will also be labeled “+++.” I think the PA system is a bit too broad. PPD is a more specific indicator.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 am      Reply with quote
bellasera wrote:
I read somewhere before that PA+++ has a PPD of 8 or above. So, for example, the LRP Anthelios, that has PPD 32, will be labeled “+++” using the PA system and another sunscreen I use with PPD 10 will also be labeled “+++.” I think the PA system is a bit too broad. PPD is a more specific indicator.

yeah I agreed with u too...it's a bit vague to use PA+++ on anything that's PPD 8 & above. I assume the ss in Japan does that and most of the jap. ss is mostly around PPD 8 or 10?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
yes, both Shiseido and Sofina sunscreens have a PPD around 8 or 10... not much Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
yes, both Shiseido and Sofina sunscreens have a PPD around 8 or 10... not much Confused

I guess it would be enough if you're just going out for a bit but not like long hrs under the sun. Try not to stress too much about it. This forum about sunscreen and PPD is driving me nuts. I've been going crazy over which ss to get and it's a hassle to try out different ones and then experiencing breakouts. If Shiseido & Sofina works for u, just stick with it...
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
This forum about sunscreen and PPD is driving me nuts.

me too Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should try physical sunscreen, which offers both UVA and UVB protection. Unlike chemical SS, you can apply and go. No wait time required!

I've been using this moisturizing sunscreen which contain 20% zinc oxide, and am very happy with it.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
ruk1 wrote:
I think you should try physical sunscreen, which offers both UVA and UVB protection. Unlike chemical SS, you can apply and go. No wait time required!

I've been using this moisturizing sunscreen which contain 20% zinc oxide, and am very happy with it.

would you elaborate on this? how is it called? is it purely physical or contains some chemicals? is it greasy? what is your skin-type?
thanks

5% products discount

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

me too Laughing

me third. I was so crazy about PPD until i realize that ppd 10 means 90% protection and ppd25 means 96% protection. 6% really isn't that huge of a difference. Now I just use the one with the finish I like.
pomme_81
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 am      Reply with quote
PA+++ only use in japan,it's the same to ppd... in usa and europe.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Kissmark wrote:
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

me too Laughing

me third. I was so crazy about PPD until i realize that ppd 10 means 90% protection and ppd25 means 96% protection. 6% really isn't that huge of a difference. Now I just use the one with the finish I like.

Kissmark, how did u find out that PPD 10 gives 96% protection? If that's the case, then I guess PPD 10 should be enough for daily use?
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Kissmark wrote:
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

me too Laughing

Kissmark, how did u find out that PPD 10 gives 96% protection? If that's the case, then I guess PPD 10 should be enough for daily use?

PPD 10 gives 90%
PPD 25 gives 96%
I would assume PPD10 to be sufficient for everyday use in a mild-climate zone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:
Kissmark wrote:
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

me too Laughing

PPD 10 gives 90%
PPD 25 gives 96%

Thanks Aiva! Can I ask where u obtained those info? Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:
Kissmark wrote:
Aiva wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

me too Laughing

PPD 10 gives 90%
PPD 25 gives 96%

Thanks Aiva! Can I ask where u obtained those info? Smile

from Kissmark`s post Laughing
I`ve just corrected you - you wrote PPD 10 gived 96%. Sorry if it was confusing Embarassed

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |