Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Sunscreen is ineffective for me... and I am going crazy!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
beanelia

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Los Angeles, where the sun is constantly shining and very strong. I am fair with blue eyes, so everyday I wear a wide brimmed hat as well as a strong SPF. I have tried EVERYTHING in terms of sunscreen.. skinceuticals, lancome, and lately Neutrogena's sheer touch 85. I don't spend a particularly large amount of time outside... just running errands and mainly sitting in the car. Well... even with 85 lathered on, my face clearly has a glow and my sunspots (few but still there) are definitely more visible. I look in the mirror and my face, at the end of the day, has color.

What am I doing wrong? I am completely compulsive about staying out of the sun, but nothing helps. Does sunscreen simply not work? Has anyone else had this problem? I am using Cellex C High potency serum to hopefully offset the damage. Any imput would be appreciated!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
That must be really frustrating! There could be stability issues with some sunscreens, I'm not sure if that's what's happening with the susncreens you're using. I recommend trying physical sunscreens, and that's what I use. Zinc oxide is a good physical sunscreen for both UVB and UVA, so it's broad spectrum protection.

My favorite physical sunscreen is Devita, and most people that try it really like it. If Devita is not enough protection, Mexitan spf50 is another choice. I did use Mexitan spf50 before I switched to Devita, but it does have some white cast and flakiness.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I live in FL, and can definitely relate. I have even put one of those cling-on baby sunshields on my driver's side window (2 for $3.98 at Target) even though my windows are already tinted.

Do you have an opportunity to reapply during the day?

I use the Neutrogena SPF 85 as well. On Saturday I put it on 30 mins before I left the house, and then drove 45 mins to meet my parents for lunch. After lunch, I reapplied it on my hands, and drove 45 mins back home.

I didn't appear to burn at all, which is shocking because I am VERY fair skinned. Without sunscreen, I will burn in 5-7 mins (I am not kidding...it just happened last week, sigh)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Do you apply enough s/s? Make sure you use at least 1/4 tsp for your face and make sure you measure it out. Also, you can try to get your car UV-coated. If you don't mind wearing a mask, you can buy one of those face-masks from coolibar.com. You'll look like a "robber" though but it will definitely help protect your face. Have you tried the higher PPD European sunscreens? If you have no issue w/ s/s irritation, break-out, or don't care about elegance you should look into Avene, Bioderma, LRP. Good luck.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:04 am      Reply with quote
I use an antioxidant spray under my sunscreen...I tend to burn on my neck and this has stopped...maybe use some extra antioxidants?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:31 am      Reply with quote
I would like to add "internal sunscreen" to the list of suggestions. Tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and green leafy vegetables (or supplements of lycopene and beta carotene) will give you some extra sun protection. You can read more about it in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29165&highlight=tomato+pesto

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi Beanelia,

I would say if the main problem is the sunspots/aging then you definitely need a higher protection against the UVA rays w/ a higher ppd (UVA quality) than Neutrogena (which is still good, but not for those who are very sensitive to the sun). Bioderma is the best sunscreen with the highest ppd used for people that are sensitive to the sun and pigment (ie freckle or sunspots) easily. However, cosmetically its not as good as LRP which is probably equally as good as Bioderma with ppd slightly less. The reason you might be getting burnt (caused by the UVB rays) could be that the sunscreen is has already rubbed off or it has absorbed under the top layer of skin and needs to be reapplied (incidental exposure you wouldnt need to apply). So if your going to be in the sun, reapply every two hours. Additionally bioderma uses Tinosorbs, tinosorb M acts like a physical blocker and stays on the surface so probably wouldnt have to reapply. LRP has TiO2 which is also physical and chem sunscreen, so the TiO2 stays on the surface as well. LRP and Bioderma are ur best bet bc they are combo chemical and physical sunscreens which offer the best protection.

How about using a product like LRP/Bioderma over makeup with physical blockers. Chem plus physical sunscreen offer best protection. Use antioxidants like vitamin C (effective in the UVA rays) and vitamin E. The combo of the two enhance the efficacy of your sunscreen. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic is the best and give 8x photoprotection from the sun. I would highly recommend that serum and many people on here use it.

And Septembergirl had great advice, when you know your going outside use supplements that offer protection. The best for you to use would be Heliocare, which has the most proven and researched ability to protect from the sun. Dr. Baumann on her blogwww.skinguru.com recently put a post about it that you could check out. Its expensive so maybe just use it before you go on a run or outside for significant times.

Get rid of the the sunspots with a retinoid! Retinoids also repair damage caused by the sun so would be very effective in your routine. Make sure you use sunscreen while using this though!

Hope that helps!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
Bioderma is the best sunscreen with the highest ppd used for people that are sensitive to the sun and pigment (ie freckle or sunspots) easily. However, cosmetically its not as good as LRP which is probably equally as good as Bioderma with ppd slightly less.

if Bioderma cosmetically even worse than LRP, I can forget about it Sad
The LRP is so greasy on me, what happens when I apply Bioderma? Shock it`s a pity...

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
if Bioderma cosmetically even worse than LRP, I can forget about it
The LRP is so greasy on me, what happens when I apply Bioderma? it`s a pity...

LOL! What LRP sunscreens have you tried? For the Bioderma, I was actually just refering to the Bioderma Lait version that I have used, HOWEVER I can say that I got the new fluide version and it seems to sink in fairly well and not as greasy. So you can def try that one. Alot of people like the spray too, the AKN and the Family size one, in fact a lot of people prefer the family size spray Bioderma bc its a great bargain for the price, and they've had good experiences with it. I personally use LRP fluide extreme which works well for me since I have dry skin. Don't worry there are still options!

oh forgot to mention another sunscreen that I've read good reviews about. Nivea Sun Light Feeling Sun Lotion SPF50. Its supposed to have a very good UVA value as well.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I`ve tried LRP Fluide Extreme 40. I`m still using it on my chest, arms & shoulders, but cannot use it on my face - it`s too greasy. I have combo skin and it never sinks in, just sits and shines Shock
it is really tricky and tiresomely for me to find a cosmetically elegant sunscreen providing high PPD.
So i`m sticking to my Devita now, however have ordered some LRP kids spray for the vacation on the seaside.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I use Shiseido's SPF 55. It's got Z cote in it so, my face does look like a white mask, but I feel better knowing that I'm protected by a physical block.
havana8

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I would like to add "internal sunscreen" to the list of suggestions. Tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and green leafy vegetables (or supplements of lycopene and beta carotene) will give you some extra sun protection. You can read more about it in this thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29165&highlight=tomato+pesto

plus Heliocare...
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:28 am      Reply with quote
How about a sun block instead of sunscreen? I use Avene's Extreme sunblock cream. Also colorscience's mineral powder. I have also been trying Peter Thomas Roth's Uber-dry Sunscreen SPF 30. There are so many procducts to try. On body I always use Ombrelle.
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
I think sunblock and sunscreen are relative terms -- exchangeable. In the U.S. it's not illegal to use the term sunblock because nothing blocks the sun "100%". Also, it's illegal to use the term "water proof". It's now must advertised as "water-resistant". Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with all rec's: 1)eating well (antioxidants) 2)take supplements 3)practice sun-smart habits (stay away from the sun between 10a-3p, stay away from ALL windows, etc), 4)wear sunglasses 5)wear wide-brimmed hat 6)dust physical sunscreen on top of your normal sunscreen 7)use high PPD sunscreen 8)apply ENOUGH sunscreen -- at least 1/4 tsp or more for face and 1/4 tsp for neck. Make sure you measure it out because it's a lot more most people think. I used to get tanner using the same sunscreen, but since I've been applying at least 1/4 tsp, I haven't gotten darker at all. I even play outdoor sports everyday. I wear sunscreen and I wear an ultra sport hat from coolibar which basically cover everything from neck/ears/face except for my eyes.
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I`ve tried LRP Fluide Extreme 40. I`m still using it on my chest, arms & shoulders, but cannot use it on my face - it`s too greasy. I have combo skin and it never sinks in, just sits and shines
it is really tricky and tiresomely for me to find a cosmetically elegant sunscreen providing high PPD.
So i`m sticking to my Devita now, however have ordered some LRP kids spray for the vacation on the seaside.

Aiva, was the fluide extreme the face version? I've heard a lot of people say LRP was greasy as well so I know its a problem. Its really hard to find a high ppd sunscreen that is cosmetically elegant. However, I think it was a good choice to try the LRP Kids Spray as I've heard lots of pple love that sunscreen and say its not as greasy as say a lotion. So give that one a try. But honestly if you cannot find a sunscreen that you would wear everyday bc of the look etc, than stick with something that you would, like the Devita you like. It means you'll actually be more likely to wear it everyday and which is better than using a higher ppd, but not applying enough or using not as often bc of the look of it. Perhaps use the Anthelios when you know you'll be in the sun all day, and Devita as an everyday sunscreen. Good luck and hope you find something that works for you!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about that, that it's a good idea to have an every day sunscreen and also a heavy duty sunscreen for a day at the beach.

Ocean14 wrote:
Quote:
I`ve tried LRP Fluide Extreme 40. I`m still using it on my chest, arms & shoulders, but cannot use it on my face - it`s too greasy. I have combo skin and it never sinks in, just sits and shines

Aiva, was the fluide extreme the face version? I've heard a lot of people say LRP was greasy as well so I know its a problem. Its really hard to find a high ppd sunscreen that is cosmetically elegant. However, I think it was a good choice to try the LRP Kids Spray as I've heard lots of pple love that sunscreen and say its not as greasy as say a lotion. So give that one a try. But honestly if you cannot find a sunscreen that you would wear everyday bc of the look etc, than stick with something that you would, like the Devita you like. It means you'll actually be more likely to wear it everyday and which is better than using a higher ppd, but not applying enough or using not as often bc of the look of it. Perhaps use the Anthelios when you know you'll be in the sun all day, and Devita as an everyday sunscreen. Good luck and hope you find something that works for you!
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I meant to say that it's NOW illegal to use the term sunblock in my post above. Sorry for the mispell -- totally different meaning
beanelia

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the great info. I went to the Coolibar site and I am going to buy that shield... it's brilliant! Also will look into a different sunscreen and physical sunscreen powder. I just hope I haven't done damage in the meantime.
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
FYI Coolibar currently has a free shipping promotion until Wednesday or Friday I think. Free4 ($25 or more). I just placed over a dozen hats/sungears for family and friends.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
Quote:

yes, my LRP fluide extreme is a 50 ml bottle made specifically for the face. And it`s written "Non greasy effect" on the bottle LOL! they must be kidding! Ok, it is really NOT greasy on my arms & shoulders, but on my face! OMG! Shock
yes, this is exactly my strategy - I live in a mild climate with no extreme sun, so I think I will be fine with physical non-greasy everyday sunscreen, but will surely use smth stronger - chemical one - for the beach-time. Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am using sunscreen everyday (spf30). Although I found my face won't get red under the sun, but it becomes darker and blacker everyday-- now I am looking like a potato..., does anyone know which sunscreen is able to do whitening job?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
januarui wrote:
I am using sunscreen everyday (spf30). Although I found my face won't get red under the sun, but it becomes darker and blacker everyday-- now I am looking like a potato..., does anyone know which sunscreen is able to do whitening job?

What sunscreen are you using? If your skin's getting darker from the sun I think your sunscreen's not doing its job.
chesterfield
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely agree. You shouldn't get darker (maybe slightly at most) if you wear a STABLE sunscreen and apply ENOUGH (at least 1/4 tsp). I play outdoor sports everyday and haven't gotten darker at all. But I apply many layers of sunscreen and I wear a hat.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
i agree with some members here, i'm thinking about how much sunscreen you are applying and how often you reapply it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:07 am      Reply with quote
I think you should reapply the sunscreen every 4 hours and also make sure you have apply enough sunscreen.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |