Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Questions about Heliocare Supplement...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I did a search on this and there're so~ many info on it that it becomes too overwhelming. I heard another forum member said that if taking this for more than 6 months, your body will stop the absorption of Vit. D.

I would like to know if anyone is still taking Heliocare or has taken them for a long period already? Do you see a difference in your skin?

So I guess it's more like a prevention or sun protection internally rather than some good nutrients to your skin?

I live in Vancouver and wonder if it's carried in the drug store here...

Any replies would be nice! Very Happy
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:58 am      Reply with quote
Hey Stardustdy,

I have the Heliocare supplements, but I wouldn't say I use it everyday. I use it only before when I know I'm going to be in the sun all day. The supplement shows benefits both to the skin and internally. In fact, the extract polypodium leucotomus was originally used to treat inflammatory disorders of the skin, like psoriasis. Among other things I've learned that it inhibits free radicals internally and externally, inhibits cell death (reduces sunburn), decreases DNA damage in the skin (prevents formation of thymine dimers ie. dna mutations caused by UV light), etc yada yada. On the study about the supplement, it says that the extract increases skin tolerance to sunlight by a factor of 2.81, but most of its benefits come from the role it can play molecularly at the skin level. Internally, its good just to take as an antioxidant supplement.

For use, I would say not to use everyday just for days when you'll be outside for extended periods. There are much better ways to get antioxidants than from heliocare, BUT as for sun protection I think its an amazing supplement with proven abilities to give added protection. I forget where I heard, but I too heard some negative feedback of long-term use, so thats why I would say just take occasionally, plus it saves money. Speaking of money, you can basically buy the extract polypodium leucotomus at a herb store online like healthyprism.com that goes under the name "Calaguala Extract." I think its a liquid supplement, but a lot cheaper!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ocean14 for all the info! Smile

I asked at the pharmacy today. I live in Vancouver btw and obviously they don't carry it and the pharmacist looked at me weird cuz she has no idea what I'm talking about. She probably thought I'm insane too to be taking oral sun protection Confused

But anyways, they don't carry it so might need to order online... So the liquid form is the same as the pills right?... I saw some sites the Heliocare is cheaper than the others so how can one tell which one is genuine or not? Thanks! Smile
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Stardustdy,

There are two versions of the heliocare supplement. The U.S. version, the only ingredient is polypodium leucotomus. The other version available abroad has polypodium leucotomus, beta carotene, and green tea extract. The non US version is cheaper, than the US version which is usually close to 50-60 dollars. So your best bet is online and getting the non US version, if you want it cheaper. When I looked around for the supplement I found that the non US version was much cheaper. I don't personally get the liquid supplement, but I've heard others get it bc of the cheaper price and essentially the same thing. However the cheaper prices you found of heliocare are close to the same amount of money, so its whatever one you prefer and personally I would feel more comfortable with the actual pill (just bc I tend to always buy name brands....even though I waste a lot of money!)

Btw, I got those same looks when I asked my local pharmacy if they had it here in the US. I kept saying heliocare and the pharmacist took me to the sunscreen and said "here helioplex" Sad
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14, I totally understand about buying the brand name part. I just feel more safe doing that cuz I feel a brand name supplement is more reliable even though those cheaper brands probably perform the same if not better... Embarassed

So which site r u ordering your Heliocare from now? I think I wanna get the version where they include beta carotene and green tea extract too. If I only take it when it's sunny that day, it should last for awhile.

BTW, I wonder how many hrs does the pill protect u from the sun? For example, if I take it at 8am, it takes 1-2hrs for it to take effect, right? But how long am I protected then? Ocean14, what do u take this with? Water, juice, milk? Empty stomach?

hehe sry for asking so~ much but I'm getting quite excited about this sun protection in a pill... Very Happy
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14, I found here on this site that they're selling the pills cheaper @ $47 for 60 pills. It's even cheaper if you buy more. I think that's in CAD since it's in BC?

http://www.heliocarepills.com/
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Ocean14,

That sounds really good! Especially the non-US version with the extra goodies in it. I'm tempted to look into it myself. I wonder if you need to take it for a certain period in advance of being in the sun? Or is it fine just to take it the morning of a beach day, not having ever taken it previously?

Ocean14 wrote:
Hey Stardustdy,

There are two versions of the heliocare supplement. The U.S. version, the only ingredient is polypodium leucotomus. The other version available abroad has polypodium leucotomus, beta carotene, and green tea extract. The non US version is cheaper, than the US version which is usually close to 50-60 dollars. So your best bet is online and getting the non US version, if you want it cheaper. When I looked around for the supplement I found that the non US version was much cheaper. I don't personally get the liquid supplement, but I've heard others get it bc of the cheaper price and essentially the same thing. However the cheaper prices you found of heliocare are close to the same amount of money, so its whatever one you prefer and personally I would feel more comfortable with the actual pill (just bc I tend to always buy name brands....even though I waste a lot of money!)

Btw, I got those same looks when I asked my local pharmacy if they had it here in the US. I kept saying heliocare and the pharmacist took me to the sunscreen and said "here helioplex" Sad
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Also, where should I go for the cheapest Non-US version?
havana8

Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
I take one a day during the summer months. If you search for "Heliocare" and "Dips18", she posted a good source for buying it at a very reasonable price with easy delivery to the US/Canada.

Interesting bit on it...
http://www.thecancerblog.com/2006/07/23/heliocare-sunscreen-in-a-pill-fights-skin-cancer/
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Here are some comments from the DermaDoctor doc:

Quote:

Futuristic Sun Protection

Heliocare

A vitamin that protects the skin against ultraviolet light damage? I have to admit I was incredibly skeptical until I read two studies performed by the Department of Dermatology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School.

Dermatology patients are often faced with the decision of whether to undergo light treatments to treat a variety of skin conditions ranging from psoriasis and vitiligo to a lymphoma of the skin known as mycosis fungoides (MF). While this therapy is beneficial, the markedly concentrated ultraviolet rays combined with oral psoralen therapy can result in the same types of future skin concerns associated with tanning beds.

Enter Heliocare, (Polypodium leucotomos extract) derived from a South American Fern.

In two small studies, taking Polypodium leucotomos extract prior to medically therapeutic PUVA light treatments “an effective systemic chemophotoprotective agent leading to significant protection of skin against UV radiation.”

This is very good news, (and something that PUVA patients should certainly discuss with their doctor). However, I would caution that the use of Heliocare is not a license for anyone (PUVA patient or not) to skip other traditional sun precautions including sunscreen, sunglasses, wide brimmed hat and sun protective clothing.
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter321.asp?AID=30

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
BTW, I wonder how many hrs does the pill protect u from the sun? For example, if I take it at 8am, it takes 1-2hrs for it to take effect, right? But how long am I protected then? Ocean14, what do u take this with? Water, juice, milk? Empty stomach?

hehe sry for asking so~ much but I'm getting quite excited about this sun protection in a pill...

Quote:
That sounds really good! Especially the non-US version with the extra goodies in it. I'm tempted to look into it myself. I wonder if you need to take it for a certain period in advance of being in the sun? Or is it fine just to take it the morning of a beach day, not having ever taken it previously?

Hey Stardustdy and Nimue!

Heliocare provides additional protection from UVA and UVB rays, but instead of just on areas like where you apply sunscreen, it goes EVERYWHERE. Thats why I love it. It covers the scalp, lips, possibly eyes, all over the body.

As for dosage, I think the packet says its 240 mg (1 pill) but the human study they did research on they used 480 mg (two pills). One pill will give you protection for 3-4 hours,but then repeated if you are going to be in the sun longer. The other alternative (which I do) and what I think is more common since most people don't know how long they are going to be in the sun is to take 2 pills in the morning, which should be sufficient for the day. Dr. Baumann recommends 2 pills as well: "Luckily, though, you don't need to take this supplement every day to enjoy its benefits - just take two capsules one hour before you plan to spend extended time in the sun." (from her blog)

I take it 30-40 minutes before a meal to not hinder absorption. Side note: don't take with alcohol! bc alcohol deacreases the effect of the polypodium leucotomus extract (accord to the patent descrip). And yes Nimue, it can be taken in the morning of say a beach day, not having every taken it previously! Thats why I like it, but again I only use on days when I'm going to be outside all day bc I dont really like taking too many supplements and its cheaper.

In the end, the supplement lessens erythema, protects elastin, and decreases collagenase and just a quick search on pubmed turns up 30 papers, so its well documented.

Oh and I get mine from my local pharmacy, but my next order will probably be from this site in NZ: http://search.netpharmacy.co.nz/search?site_tree_id=70&w=heliocare
Might be cheaper somewhere else, but this place seems like a reputable source.
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ocean14, I totally understand about buying the brand name part. I just feel more safe doing that cuz I feel a brand name supplement is more reliable even though those cheaper brands probably perform the same if not better...

Doesn't this bother you! I even do this with my retinoids and CE ferulic. I almost always get the name brand retinoids instead of generics, even though way more expensive. I am tempted to get the sample size CE Ferulic or just regular CE Ferulic on Ebay, but still can't convince myself to do it bc of course my paranoia and end up buying at a much more expensive derm office or reputable site. I need to get over this...everyone is saving money and we arent! Crying or Very sad
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
As for dosage, I think the packet says its 240 mg (1 pill) but the human study they did research on they used 480 mg (two pills). One pill will give you protection for 3-4 hours,but then repeated if you are going to be in the sun longer. The other alternative (which I do) and what I think is more common since most people don't know how long they are going to be in the sun is to take 2 pills in the morning, which should be sufficient for the day. Dr. Baumann recommends 2 pills as well: "Luckily, though, you don't need to take this supplement every day to enjoy its benefits - just take two capsules one hour before you plan to spend extended time in the sun." (from her blog)

as for dosage, I`ve got a Heliocare booklet and it recommends dosage according to your body weight. Here is the table:

body weight 30 kg - 1 capsule/day
40 kg - 1
50 kg - 2
60 kg - 2
70 kg - 2
80 kg - 3
90 kg - 3
100 kg - 3

where one capsule contains 240mg PLE and the dosages are calculated as for 7,5mg pro 1 kg body weight.
Also it is said that if you - according to recommended dosage for your body weight - have to take 3 capsules, they recommend to take 2 in the morning and 1 around midday.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
Quote:
Ocean14, I totally understand about buying the brand name part. I just feel more safe doing that cuz I feel a brand name supplement is more reliable even though those cheaper brands probably perform the same if not better...

Doesn't this bother you! I even do this with my retinoids and CE ferulic. I almost always get the name brand retinoids instead of generics, even though way more expensive. I am tempted to get the sample size CE Ferulic or just regular CE Ferulic on Ebay, but still can't convince myself to do it bc of course my paranoia and end up buying at a much more expensive derm office or reputable site. I need to get over this...everyone is saving money and we arent! Crying or Very sad

Ocean, I think it is quite safe to buy sample sizes from e-bay as far as a seller has a high positive feedback. Faking sample sizes has little sense.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for all the detailed info but I still have some confusion here as always Embarassed

According to Aiva's post, if u weigh 40kg, then 1cap/day, 50kg then 2caps/day. I weigh 47kg, so I guess I should take 2 right? So if 1cap can protect u from the sun for 3-4hrs, then if I take 2 in the morning before I go out, I'm protected for around 6-8hrs? If I'm planning to stay out like say for 10hrs+, then does that I mean I need another capsule later in the day or should I just take 3caps altogether in the morning to obtain the 9-12hrs protection?

Sry if I sounded a bit stupid but since the capsules are so expensive, I want to make sure I'm taking it the right way.

Btw, I just checked out a site called Sasa, it's HK based and they're selling Heliocare at $55 for 60caps. They're doing a promotion now that if u buy 2 bottles, u get a free 50ml SPF 50 Heliocare sun gel. So might consider that Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the detailed info but I still have some confusion here as always Embarassed

According to Aiva's post, if u weigh 40kg, then 1cap/day, 50kg then 2caps/day. I weigh 47kg, so I guess I should take 2 right? So if 1cap can protect u from the sun for 3-4hrs, then if I take 2 in the morning before I go out, I'm protected for around 6-8hrs? If I'm planning to stay out like say for 10hrs+, then does that I mean I need another capsule later in the day or should I just take 3caps altogether in the morning to obtain the 9-12hrs protection?

Sry if I sounded a bit stupid but since the capsules are so expensive, I want to make sure I'm taking it the right way.

Btw, I just checked out a site called Sasa, it's HK based and they're selling Heliocare at $55 for 60caps. They're doing a promotion now that if u buy 2 bottles, u get a free 50ml SPF 50 Heliocare sun gel. So might consider that Smile

Stardusty, the dosage here should be approximated, as the difference is surely too big.
So taking their formula: 7,5mg pro 1 kg body weight - you will need 47*7.5= 352.5 mg / 240mg (in 1 capsule) = 1.47 capsule
as you cannot take 1.47 capsule, you should take either 1 or 2 capsules per day.
This means PER DAY, I have not found anywhere that you should take another one later in the day, that is said to be your daily dosage, and you should take it 1-2 hours before sun exposure. Either haven`t I found anywhere that the capsules give protection only for 3-4 hours. May be Ocean knows more Confused
anyway, I think you will be able to find all the info as how to take them on the insert of the box when you`ll buy it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Aiva. I guess it makes more sense to me now. perhaps I should just get a box and see but need to see which online site is a better deal first.

Also, anyone know if the Heliocare can be taken with other supplements such as Multivitamins or Omega 3? Thanks! Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I can be really impulsive. I already ordered it!

Ocean14 wrote:

Hey Stardustdy and Nimue!

Heliocare provides additional protection from UVA and UVB rays, but instead of just on areas like where you apply sunscreen, it goes EVERYWHERE. Thats why I love it. It covers the scalp, lips, possibly eyes, all over the body.

I take it 30-40 minutes before a meal to not hinder absorption. Side note: don't take with alcohol! bc alcohol deacreases the effect of the polypodium leucotomus extract (accord to the patent descrip). And yes Nimue, it can be taken in the morning of say a beach day, not having every taken it previously! Thats why I like it, but again I only use on days when I'm going to be outside all day bc I dont really like taking too many supplements and its cheaper.

In the end, the supplement lessens erythema, protects elastin, and decreases collagenase and just a quick search on pubmed turns up 30 papers, so its well documented.

Oh and I get mine from my local pharmacy, but my next order will probably be from this site in NZ: http://search.netpharmacy.co.nz/search?site_tree_id=70&w=heliocare
Might be cheaper somewhere else, but this place seems like a reputable source.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
haha Nimue, so was that around $30US for a bottle? Also, how much is the shipping? Thanks! Smile
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Good choice on buying it Nimue! Accord. to the company website the pill is active after 30 minutes of taking it. As for taking with other vitamins/omega 3's I don't see why it would be any problem. Our body is very efficient at digesting and distributing particular compounds throughout the body. In fact, I bet the fat in the omega 3's can give better absorption bc they help vitamins get absorbed in the system more efficiently, so possibly with the heliocare too. I wouldn't worry too much about that though.

There are two options for taking the supplement as I mentioned before. Either split the doses during the day (ie. one in the morning and one in the afternoon) or just two in the morning, which I find easier as well. But again if you arent going to be outside all day, the site says one pill would suffice.

Here is the quote about the 30 minutes it takes for the supplement to be active. And also Nimue, it mentions an answer to the question you had about using the supplement without ever have taken it previously...

The Heliocare supplements are taken daily. They are active within 30 minutes of the first does (unlike many oral antioxidants which take months to build up sufficient levels in the skin.) Also, because they are taken orally they are effective in protecting cells deep in the skin. Damage to these deeper cells is responsible for many of the signs of photoaging (e.g. wrinkles.)
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ocean, I think it is quite safe to buy sample sizes from e-bay as far as a seller has a high positive feedback. Faking sample sizes has little sense.

hahaha I know I need to just bite the bullet and do it. I guess I was just more worried about the expiration dates of the serums, but most people say they recieve them and the serum is clear so I thinks its def worth it.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
haha Nimue, so was that around $30US for a bottle? Also, how much is the shipping? Thanks! Smile

I ordered 3 bottles for $86 + $9.70 shipping USD fromwww.netpharmacy.co.nz

That works out to $32 a bottle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Aivaas for dosage, I`ve got a Heliocare booklet and it recommends dosage according to your body weight. Here is the table:

body weight 30 kg - 1 capsule/day
40 kg - 1
50 kg - 2
60 kg - 2
70 kg - 2
80 kg - 3
90 kg - 3
100 kg - 3

where one capsule contains 240mg PLE and the dosages are calculated as for 7,5mg pro 1 kg body weight.
Also it is said that if you - according to recommended dosage for your body weight - have to take 3 capsules, they recommend to take 2 in the morning and 1 around midday.[/quote]

FYI:

30 kg = 66 lbs - 1 capsule/day
40 kg = 88 lbs - 1 capsule/day
50 kg = 110 lbs - 2 capsules/day
60 kg = 132 lbs - 2 capsules/day
70 kg = 154 lbs - 2 capsules/day
80 kg = 176 lbs - 3 capsules/day
90 kg = 198 lbs - 3 capsules/day
100 kg = 220 lbs - 3 capsules/day

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

I ordered 1 bottle, and counting shipping it came out to about $40US. I was hesitant to buy more than one buttle, since it's my first foray into Heliocare. If I have no problems with it, next time I'll get the 3 botttles deal.
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Does Heliocare's protection work only at the cellular level or does it actually prevent your skin from tanning too???
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |