Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
To pick/squeeze or not too?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Now I know what you are all thinking, "NO" of course, and for the most part I agree, Although it is difficult not too, especially when you have a big "whitehead" on the surface, how can you go without squeezing it? I can't, I have to "get it" plus how do you cover something like that up. But on to my question really. It steams from the fact that I notice sometimes when I get pimples, that I use products to dry them up, but some of them if I don't squeeze it and get the junk out of it, it just appears again in a week or so. I know this for a fact, because I did a small test. I had a pimple on my forehead, under my bangs towards the top of my hairline. No one could see it, but I applied products and dried it up, the redness went away and the bump was gone, but before it left me, I circled it with a marker. And guess what, it is back this week. I woke up this morning and it is the exactly pore that was clogged before, but I had left it alone. So my theory is, I have to pick/squeeze in some cases, if I don't want it back. Anyone else experience this or have a theory?? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
I use an extractor tool. Tweezerman and other companies make them. Sephora makes their own as well. But I don't use a lancet although they make one with a lancet as well. You can find them cheaper than this but you can see what they look like at:
Sephora Double-Ended Blemish Extractor $16
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0417
Sephora Complexion Extractor with Lance $18
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0013
Quote:
A deep, cystic pimple should not be opened with the lancet. When dealing with deep acne, it's best to visit a dermatologist. A doctor may use a sterile needle, but only after a pustule has formed. Additional treatments depend on the severity of the acne.

I find I need to use this on my nose pores as a preventative. I approach the pores sideways with the flat side and just press down (no popping), excess comes out and helps clear the pore. Of course, I'm open to other suggestions - products, etc.????

Bergquis, what are you using to get the sebum build up out?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried various "tools" and they just do not work for me. I think I really know my skin (and blemishes)very well. If that makes sense, I can look at them in the mirror and know what type they are. They are whiteheads, clogged pores (that can be squeezed) cystic (although I do not get many of these, every time I always think I can extract them, and I NEVER can)..whatever type they may be. I have a whole system for removal, meaning I get my pores open (sometimes depending on the type of blemish) it may need to be squeezed without warming up the skin, because the skin will tear. I just use my nails, I can tell at first squeeze whether I think it will be stubborn or not. The crazy thing is, I sometimes still try to get the stubborn ones, even when I know the end result will be horrible. I tend to try to "get those" when it is the weekend and I have no major plans. For the most part I know I need to throw away my 10X mirror, but I can't. People look at my skin and think, wow nice skin....trust me, if they only knew. I get really good at the bondo job daily. I wish I could just STOP IT and have clear skin...I envy woman with nice skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
For the most part I know I need to throw away my 10X mirror, but I can't. People look at my skin and think, wow nice skin....trust me, if they only knew. I get really good at the bondo job daily. I wish I could just STOP IT and have clear skin...I envy woman with nice skin.

Yeah, maybe you should take your own advice Laughing If no one elses can see it....

My nose pores have always been congested but are much better since using the Clarisonic, a "microdermabrasion sponge" and dermafile to help with the flakies. But I still am frustrated. There was a product posted here on EDS that was recommended over Biore pore strips for the nose pores called Beyond Belief Clean Pore Nose Peel sold at Sally's Beauty - but there's not one near me and I haven't found it else where... I'd like to try it!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I always squeeze them after my bath, inside the bathroom, where ur pores open up and its easier to extract it.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I do squeeze when it turns into white stuff. I tolerate the white as long as I can stand it then I squeeze it out. After I wipe it off, I sterilize with iodine and then dab some honey on it to heal the little wound. I think that as long as you don't squeeze too early it's not going to scar. When it's good and ready to be squeezed it's really easy to do and I think it's best to get the gunk out of it and move on.
jag
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried any of the extractors but when I do get a whitehead I use a sewing needle. I use the tip of the needle to poke the whitehead and just gently squeeze the stuff out. Just to make sure it doesn't scar I put some BP lotion on it. The whitehead does leave a small mark which fades away after a couple of weeks. I haven't had any scars yet! Thank God!!

bergquis, I always get a pimple on my chin right under the lip when I have my period. It's always in the same spot as well which really sucks.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:14 am      Reply with quote
If you are going to do this -- I'll give you some excellent advice I received. Wait for the whitehead to appear, apply a warm compress, and then use the individual disposable lancets sold in drugstores for diabetics to use to test their blood. These are tiny, sterile, inexpensive, and will prick the skin without tearing it to pieces. If you just squeeze, you will definitely injure your skin. Think of it, BLOWING pus out of your skin? Not a great idea. Wait till it's a real whitehead, use the sterile disposable lancets, apply heat to bring the pus to the top, and be sure to get all the pus, and follow with antiseptic. Tea tree oil actually is better than anything, and will not irritate.

I advise, of course, that you not do it. But, IF you are going to do , do it this way.

5% products discount

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:06 am      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
For the most part I know I need to throw away my 10X mirror, but I can't.

Do it!
At the very least downgrade to a 5x.
your skin will get better immediately!
heima
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:28 am      Reply with quote
I thought that do not use the hand to go to the extrusion, must use the tool. Or the health, certain extrusion cannot have the very good effect
MTRLB
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:14 am      Reply with quote
One tip...

Once u squeezed any content out, press ur finger on the spot for 2 mins
It is to stop blood from flowing to that area resulting to redness.

If ur skin occur some redness, use eye redness relief or any eye anti-redness solution, they work.
Sidda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 am      Reply with quote
And YES, throw away the 10x mirror.

And for those of you looking at your LIFE under a 10x mirror, too -- toss THAT. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I am convinced that I could never throw my XX mirror away. That is the only way to know if my blemish is ready to "take care" of or not. Plus those pesky little hairs, those have to go as well, and I can only see those with the mirror. I have to become disciplined enough to not squeeze at every imperfection. That is a problem for me, now I have more red spots than I have blemishes. agggh, now on to how to get rid of those.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I would say do not squeeze. I used to pick and squeeze my pimples and it has left huge pores on my cheeks which till now, I can't get them to shrink. Squeezing leaves scarring on the face. No matter how tempted u are, leave ur face alone and let the pimples heal by themselves.
babyb
5% products discount

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I love the idea of finding that little needle to help with the white heads.....thank you! AND interesting to hold your finger over the area to keep the blood away. I am learning all the time here! Thank you! I do worry about scarring, so I know to be very careful!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
I've gotten into many arguments over this but my experience (and I've done many side by side tests) is that for white heads, soaking then puncturing with a lancet and covering with a good antibacterial agent is MUCH better than leaving them alone (which can also result in scars). I've healed things in 2 days versus over a week and a half.

The red lumps without heads should not be squeezed but do benefit from salicylic acid and a warm compress.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
If you are going to do this -- I'll give you some excellent advice I received. Wait for the whitehead to appear, apply a warm compress, and then use the individual disposable lancets sold in drugstores for diabetics to use to test their blood. These are tiny, sterile, inexpensive, and will prick the skin without tearing it to pieces. If you just squeeze, you will definitely injure your skin. Think of it, BLOWING pus out of your skin? Not a great idea. Wait till it's a real whitehead, use the sterile disposable lancets, apply heat to bring the pus to the top, and be sure to get all the pus, and follow with antiseptic. Tea tree oil actually is better than anything, and will not irritate.

I advise, of course, that you not do it. But, IF you are going to do , do it this way.

This is the basic process I follow, except that I do use a sewing needle dipped in alcohol.

You do not want to squeeze without poking a little hole in it first, because the skin tears and then takes longer to heal.

I also have one of the Tweezerman tools for blackhead removal, but I far prefer a regular old bobby pin.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
What? A bobby pin? What? I need more information on that, please! Especially since it is something I already have and do not have to run out and purchase. A bobby pin, huh?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi bethany, can you explain the "bobbypin" trick. I know it will be hard since this is not visual, but I am curious how you use a bobby pin for extractions.
thanks Shock

5% products discount

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, good! I am not the only one wanting more info here! We will all be sitting and taking notes on this one!!!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I use the bobby pin for extracting blackheads, or any little sebum bumps. Honestly, the extractions are the ONLY fun thing about having clogged pores! Very Happy

I just take a regular bobby pin, and clean the round end (inside the circle and out) with a Q tip dipped in alcohol. Save the Q tip...you will use it again to clean the bobby pin after you are done poking.

Then I just place the little circle end around the blackhead, and press down gently...it puts pressure around 3 sides of the blackhead, and forces it out very easily. And if it doesn't come out easily, don't push too hard!!

HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the description, good to know. I will try it, but I doubt if the "tool" does not work for me, this probably won't either. It ends up leaving red bruised marks, but if I use my nails, it comes out immediately with no marks.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
OK, so you do not use the ENDS of the bobby pin? You use the part where the two sides come together, so to speak?

Wonder if I were to apply my jojoba oil first and then try this, I would have success. Might have to 'play' later and see.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
babyb wrote:
OK, so you do not use the ENDS of the bobby pin? You use the part where the two sides come together, so to speak?

Here you go:

5% products discount

Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
This is toooooo funny, but I do thank you! Sometimes I just need things spelled out, especially when there are not exact words or vocabulary always used for some things!!! Now my hubby is wondering what I am chuckling about and I am trying to decide how to explain all this to him!!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |