Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do you know if you're just purging......?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
...allergic/sensitive to a product or an ingredient or breaking out due to other reasons?
Say you're testing out a product at night and the following morning you get a few new pimples, how do you find the culprit to that!? Confused
I used to love trying out new products but since I had acne 2 years ago, I dont enjoy using new stuff in case I get more pimples. But you read people saying that they purged when they first started using x product, but soon they had beautiful skin...but when do you know when you've finished purging, couldnt the purging stage be that you're allergic to one of the ingredients or that its clogging your pores Question

I've been trying to analyse and think of answers for this question, so over the past few months, I try to figure it out by seeing whether I had any junk food, I had enough sleep the past few days and what new products I've used. Say, I've been sleeping at 3 or 4 in the morning for the past week, then I use a new moisturiser and it caused breakouts, I would think "oh no it broke me out, I'm not going to use it anymore" but actually that could have been my HG if I had used it on days when I had a good nights rest.

I mean...how do you know if a product is suitable for you???
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi yeah yeah, I think this is hard to explain, but here is how I view my skin and whether it is purging or not. I know what "types" of pimples I get and where. People say that your skin could be purging and bringing up all the underground stuff under your skin, which is true...except in the cases that...if I have never had "these types" of breakouts, or if I never never had breakouts on my temples and now all of a sudden with a new product I am? Well, I would have never had pimples there, so how is it purging? No, it is creating the breakouts. The true test for me, was I was using a product (Albolene) to do an OCM sort of speak. I had more blackheads in two days, then I have ever had in my life. Also, I got three cystic acne pimples on my chin in one day. I have only had about three cystic type acne's in my whole life, so I knew this product was not for me. As soon as I stopped using it, my face cleared, no more cystic acne (finally down to one that I am still babying) and I only have two more blackheads to extract (when they are ready)..I had to get rid of 15 total. This is crazy. So long answer, I think you know your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
well, as I know myself very well, I do get terrible breakouts if I do not get enough sleep. It`s just like my immune system crashes down being deprived of healthy sleep, and the next day I say hello to a lot of pimples Sad
It`s always like that with me, so I wouldn`t judge the product if not had enough sleep - it`s not the culprit for a breakout here...
same with my monthly periods - I just know I have more pimples before it...

but if I`m using a product being rested and in a good health and it causes breakouts, well, I`ll give it a couple of days... may be a week to see, but then will quit. This was the case with Dr.H cleansing cream with me - it was the only one new product then, and I had new pimples every days while I was using it. So it was obvious.
Also it is helpful not to try many new products at the same time, but rather one by one - then you can say for sure which one is causing problems.

I don`t get it how people go through long purging periods though... it really can mean an allergy or clogged pores... Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your detailed replies!

bergquis wrote:
People say that your skin could be purging and bringing up all the underground stuff under your skin, which is true...except in the cases that...if I have never had "these types" of breakouts, or if I never never had breakouts on my temples and now all of a sudden with a new product I am?

So, if starting a new product and you breakout from them on areas that you dont usually get pimples, that's not purging?

My skin is weird though so I dont know where I usually breakout anymore...seem to get pimples every where on my face. When I first started getting acne, it was on my forehead and nose, then to my chin then to my cheeks. So if a random spot appears on my face, I cant really say whether that a products breaking me out.

Aiva wrote:
I don`t get it how people go through long purging periods though... it really can mean an allergy or clogged pores...

Same here. However, unless straight upon contact or within a few hours of using a product, I get an itch or weird feel to my skin then I know that that product isnt right for me. But if its something that I'm DYING to want to like, I usually give it another try Embarassed
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Personally I don't buy into the whole purging thing, at least not from topical products. I'm not 100% sure though, but this is my hunch.

However, I think purging from stuff you do to your insides is very possible. I knew a girl who started some medication for acne she purged awfully, and then totally cleared up. She said that she was supposed to do that. For a little while I was trying oil pulling just to see. (you basically gargle some oil on an empty stomach) I purged with that, and then my skin cleared up and it was obvious to me that it was the oil pulling that was doing it. I did give up on the oil pulling because I didn't feel I was getting much out of it, it wasn't worth it. But it was just something I wanted to try.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't use to think it was possible but after beginning my current regime I've changed my mind. However, I tried OCM when I first came to EDS and my skin burned, itched and began to peel off. Someone suggested that was purging. Luckily, I didn't agree and quit the OCM. If someone says they're breaking out in huge cystic acne, then mho it's not purging. I know when I first tried AHA's I'd get one or two spots that would disappear quickly. That seems more in line with a purging type response and in fact is known to happen with some acids so I do think it can happen but not to a huge extent.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using retinoids and am having pimples!
I used retinoids many years ago and don't recall this problem. They seem to be clearing up now, but my questions are:

1) How do I prevent scarring from the pimples? (red/brown/purple spots that take forever to disappear)

2) How do I keep from getting pimples every time I increase the strength of my retinoid?

FYI - I'm using Green Cream 3 + AOX 10% by SC + Devita 30 sunscreen.
thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I just started using retinoids and am having pimples!
I used retinoids many years ago and don't recall this problem. They seem to be clearing up now, but my questions are:

1) How do I prevent scarring from the pimples? (red/brown/purple spots that take forever to disappear)

2) How do I keep from getting pimples every time I increase the strength of my retinoid?

FYI - I'm using Green Cream 3 + AOX 10% by SC + Devita 30 sunscreen.
thanks

I definitely purged when I started Retin-A...they tell you right up front things will look worse before they get better. There are clogs that have already formed under your skin if you are at all blemish prone, and the retinoid product helps bring them up to the top, AND they prevent new ones from forming.

1. I am in AWE at how quickly tamanu oil took the red out of a couple of breakout scars (results of trying a product my skin hated)...it seems to be WAY more anti-inflammatory than emu oil. Here is the thread that convinced me to buy it:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29849&highlight=tamanu

2. The key to avoiding future breakouts is to use the retinoid product regularly to keep clogs from forming. If it were me, I would ramp up in frequency with the weaker product, and then immediately cut back in frequency with the new stronger product. That might balance it out a bit and hopefully limit any additional purging.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
The ladies that are using new products and getting breakouts the next day; reason is the actives in your new product. Something is irritating your skin. OR could be the change in your skin care. Anytime you bring a change to your skin care routine, skin will react especially if there are actives such as retinoids etc. HTHs!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |