Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Sunscreens might cause cancer according to this site?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

An interesting site written by a dr. that I came across online.

It talks about how sunscreens can actually cause cancer and melenoma instead of preventing it. Just want u ladies here to give some feedback? Thanks! Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Basically, I agree that chemical sunscreens are not safe and can be very harmful. This research isn't new to me and a substantial part of why I use only physical sunscreen.

Stardustdy wrote:

It talks about how sunscreens can actually cause cancer and melenoma instead of preventing it. Just want u ladies here to give some feedback? Thanks! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think people should be scared away from using chemical sunscreen just based on this single article.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
There's a whole lot more out there on the same topic than that one article. If you want to research, the information is there. But yes I agree, I don't think anyone should form a judgment based on a single source.

pinkberry wrote:
I don't think people should be scared away from using chemical sunscreen just based on this single article.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
You guys are right, this has been out for about 10 years now. Started with the methxylcinnamate or something that was developed to be similar to a pathway in the body that ended up being a problem. It is still used in many products. I read somewhere by some doctor - sorry it isn't helpful, here, but that suncreens absorb, and sunblocks delfect. Anyone know if this is right? The titanium and zinc oxides are blocks. I just read that the FDA is still stuck on what changes they are going to make with rankings too.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Lilybear,

In general, the chemical sunscreens absorb and physical sunscreens block. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are safe. Titanium dioxide (nano sized) is slightly less safe though, so your best bet is to stick with zinc oxide. Then you don't have to worry. But I think that using titanium dioxide in sunscreen is still ok, btw but zinc oxide is just better.

For me personally the chemical vs. physical debate is moot because my skin has had bad reactions to chemical sunscreens. So even if it turns out that it isn't *that* bad, or even if I could believe that some of the chemical sunscreen formulations out there are safe, I just don't want it on my skin.

lilybear wrote:
You guys are right, this has been out for about 10 years now. Started with the methxylcinnamate or something that was developed to be similar to a pathway in the body that ended up being a problem. It is still used in many products. I read somewhere by some doctor - sorry it isn't helpful, here, but that suncreens absorb, and sunblocks delfect. Anyone know if this is right? The titanium and zinc oxides are blocks. I just read that the FDA is still stuck on what changes they are going to make with rankings too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
One thing that I've wondered about is whether the use of high UVB/ poor UVA sunscreens might be linked to higher skin cancer rates. If the sunscreen protected against burning but not the deeper penetrating UVA rays, perhaps one might spend more time in the sun, erroneously thinking that no damage was occurring.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
Although I still use them, I agree that chemical sunscreen will eventually harm your health. I can't go without sunscreen and chemicals are less greasy than physical ones.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
They're really different though and it's all about the formulation. If you ever want to venture into the world of physical sunscreens, here are some non greasy suggestions: Devita, Keys, MyChelle, and Epicuren Zinc.

Lara1 wrote:
Although I still use them, I agree that chemical sunscreen will eventually harm your health. I can't go without sunscreen and chemicals are less greasy than physical ones.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue , thanks! I use Lavera, it is physical, but a little greasy. I reard a lot of good reviews about Devita. Do you know where I can buy Devita and others in Canada (Montreal)?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
I get Devita from internatural. I'm pretty sure they ship internationally. Also I get the body version because it's a better value.

http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/ingr/ingr169034.cfm

Keys: (ships internationally)

http://www.keys-soap.com/xcart41/product.php?productid=31

MyChelle: (ships internationally)

http://www.mychelleusa.com/sunshield.aspx

With Epicuren, I don't know- maybe you could go with e-bay. Here's a link to the product, it's at the top:

http://www.epicuren.com/PuvPrtcton.htm

Lara1 wrote:
Nimue , thanks! I use Lavera, it is physical, but a little greasy. I reard a lot of good reviews about Devita. Do you know where I can buy Devita and others in Canada (Montreal)?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Gosh I would hate to think what the alternative could be. Heres a great link complete with journal references.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=176
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 am      Reply with quote
From a consumer protection article on KOMO News website, Seattle:

How do you choose a sunscreen? Maybe you have a favorite brand, but chances are you look for a specific Sun Protection Factor.

Here's the rub: That SPF number doesn't give you enough information.

The Environmental Working Group, an advocacy group, looked at the ingredient labels on about 1,000 sunscreens.

"We concluded that nearly four out of every five sunscreens are either ineffective in their ability to protect you from the sun or contain ingredients that are hazardous in and of themselves," said Sean Gray, a senior analyst with the Environmental Working Group.

"We found that they do a great job of protecting you from sunburn, but they do a terrible job, in most cases, of protecting you from long-term effects - sun aging and sun cancers," he said.

So what do you do? It's important to use sunscreen to protect your skin.

When shopping for sunscreen, you should look for the following ingredients: parsol 1789, avobenzone, mexoryl, zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. They screen out those UVA rays.

The Environmental Working Group says you should avoid products with oxybenzone, and skip the sprays because you can inhale the sunscreen mist.

The group has a list of more than 100 products it recommends. Check out the product you use or find a good one a the group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database.

I can't post the URL yet, but it's cosmeticsdatabase then the dot com, followed by /special/sunscreens2008/

Smile
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
After reading this, I am completely baffled. Nothing is safe! I am finally pleased with a facial sunscreen (LRP Anthelios Fluid Extreme 50) that does not break out my acne prone face. Now this! The breast cancer association is particulary troubling. But than again, what DOESN'T cause cancer. I live on a golf course and I am sure that the chemicals are horrible for me. But than again, you see older women who have sunned, smoked, and "cocktailed" for most of their lives! You can only do so much before your genetics and the heavens ultimately determine your health! I guess everything in moderation....
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
But we can't go out without sunblock, since UV would cause skin cancer...
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
It seems that every day there is something new to fear. It never ends!

For me, living in Florida doesn't leave much choice in the matter as far as sun protection goes. It's really a must. In the last couple of years, I've used more physical barriers, i.e. light cotton clothing, sun visors, wide brimmed hats. I also stay in the shade as much as possible, and don't go out altogether between noon and 4p.m if at all possible.

I'm also thinking of using MMU rather that lotion, just to be *perhaps* a little safer.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I do use Aveeno SPF 30 whenever I'll be out for a couple of hours or more.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:08 am      Reply with quote
This is confusing, and it's making me kinda mad, to tell the truth.

In addition to the chemical content hazards, now there's early warnings about nanoparticles, which they've done to zinc oxide so it's so tiny it doesn't give that white mask look anymore - but they may be small enough to be absorbed, and will they cause problems??

On the Bits blog on the NY Times, new article dated today August 6th, about potential nanoparticles in sunscreens:

it's bits.blogs.nytimes then the dot com, then /2007/08/14/nanoparticles-in-your-sunscreen-too-hot-to-handle/

I agree we need enough sunshine for Vitamin D, and that our skin needs protection from exposure to UVA and UVB rays beyond that - my friend who is a breast cancer survivor had her oncologist tell her that just getting sunshine on her arms, or her legs, for 15 minutes a few times a week was a good thing for the vitamins; beyond that, sunblock. As her cancer was one that thrived on estrogen, she's had to strip everything estrogenic out of her routine (and she's on Tamoxifen). I'll ask her but I'd bet she has to be careful with things like the parabens, which mimic estrogen stuff and have, in preliminary studies, found to absorb through the skin and remain chemically intact in human breast tissue.

More studies are needed on all this stuff; in the interim one can drive oneself nuts trying to choose! I feel like a dog chasing its tail - I bought the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sunblock SPF that is broad spectrum with one of the highest titanium dioxide contents — 9.1% and PABA-free, but I wish I'd read more thoroughly because it has 4 of the parabens in it. Oh shoot—and probably nanoparticles! Confused

***The Neutrogena container also has a little "Help Block Out Skin Cancer" graphic with the American Cancer Society logo on it; I think a lot of consumers could assume that's an endorsement from the ACS but unless you read the teeny, tiny 4-point type at the very end of the text on the back of the bottle, you don't see that "The ACS does not endorse any specific product. Neutrogena pays a royalty to the ACS for the use of its logo." Does this bother anyone else, or just me?***

Was interested in the Remergent DNA Repair A.M. moisturizer with SPF 15, but its first two active ingredients are Octinoxate and Octisalate. Bleah. Not wild about that as a daily routine, either...

if I'm going to be in the direct sun for half an hour or more, I'll certainly slather something on...Honestly, I might as well just rub on enough zinc oxide to resemble a Kabuki mask and call it a day!
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:31 am      Reply with quote
On one hand, I can get really agitated about chemicals and preservatives.

On the other hand, well, currently I have that hand wrapped around a Mojito, and my lifestyle will never involve living in a Clean Room while shunning makeup and hair care products (or alcohol!). Smile

Thank you, Nimue, for the suggestions and links to non-greasy sunblocks, those look good and I'm definitely going to try a couple.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I get Devita from internatural. I'm pretty sure they ship internationally. Also I get the body version because it's a better value.

http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/ingr/ingr169034.cfm

Keys: (ships internationally)

http://www.keys-soap.com/xcart41/product.php?productid=31

MyChelle: (ships internationally)

http://www.mychelleusa.com/sunshield.aspx

With Epicuren, I don't know- maybe you could go with e-bay. Here's a link to the product, it's at the top:

http://www.epicuren.com/PuvPrtcton.htm

Lara1 wrote:

Nimue, the Mychelle ss only contains 11.6% ZnO and less than 1% TiO2 but it's a SPF of 28. The Epicuren has 17% ZnO and it's SPF 20. I wonder why's that? Does anyone know?? Confused
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Nimue, the Mychelle ss only contains 11.6% ZnO and less than 1% TiO2 but it's a SPF of 28. The Epicuren has 17% ZnO and it's SPF 20. I wonder why's that? Does anyone know?? Confused

I don't think it's strictly regulated. I ignore the provided spf values and just pay attention to the % of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. That said, it is true that titanium dioxide can produce large spf values even in small concentrations. Titanium dioxide is very effective on UVB.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hey all! I know alot of ppl are concerned about getting vitamin D deficiency with prolonged sunscreen use but honestly, I think the chances of that are rare! I was really concerned about that for a long time as well but after taking a Biochemistry Nutrition course I realized that our daily intake (simply from food) is more than enuf to meet recommended requirement. Especially with our quality of life, it is pretty hard to be deficient in any nutrient really...I mean, we're more prone to being over-fed or having a nutrient over-dose (especially bc the gov like to fortify everything with some kind of nutrient to make sure we are always HEALTHY!!) :-& LOL! However, if ur a vegetarian, then vit.D deficiency might be a risk with or without the use of sunscreen! It is also prone in pregnant mothers and the older population as well so ppl in these categories should be careful too. I know that alot of heavy sunscreen users also take supplements to help compensate for vit.D shortage but they should avoid using Vit. D2 or Ergocalciferol bc it is found to bind poorly to vit.D cell receptors, hence, it cannot enter the cell to do it's job.

As for carcinogenicity issue, it's only a problem here in North America. Most Asian and European countries have developed sunscreens that avoid this issue completely! I know that there are two ingredients that North American brands use that are carcinogenic. One is oxybenzone and the other one is....I forgot! Oops! Rolling Eyes So try to buy sunscreens from countries located outside of Canada and the States! Very Happy Hope this helps! It's how I approach the issue!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |