Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Credit card theft
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
QUOTE from lunarm:
"This info is thanks to Scali and helps protect against having your credit card info stolen. You have to have a PayPal account:

Quote:
For safer online shopping, PayPal has a plug-in. It's installed on your browser (you have to login to use it, each time) but it can generate a card number for you for single or multi-use with the MasterCard logo.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vdc-hub"

I thought I would re-post this helpful info, since they are still at it.

Has anyone else used this plug-in and does it seem to be a safe way to thwart thieves?

My Visa company called to inform me that from somewhere in Moscow - yes Russia - my account had been charged a tidy sum.

In the news today a Russian hacker is going after bank accounts that allow online transfers, among other things.
Also, thieves can plant an undetectable device on ATMs and self-service gas station credit card scanners to steal CC info.

As if we needed something else to watch out for. You just can't let your guard down for a minute.

Any other helpful info for us?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:05 am      Reply with quote
fawnie i had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago...........my visa company also called me to tell me someone tried to use my card somewhere in sweden!!! and im in NZ. they made many attempts but dint have my 3 security numbers Shock

my credit card company cancelled the card and i been issued a new one.

i just have to wonder how they got hold of my number anyway..........i dont buy from many sites only....only EDS and ebay in that particular month

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:20 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
i just have to wonder how they got hold of my number anyway..........i dont buy from many sites only....only EDS and ebay in that particular month

Even though you may be careful about destroying your own personal receipts, doesn't mean that all stores you purchase from put the same effort into destroying receipts. I would assume there are also credit card number "guessing" machines that theives are using (since you mentioned they didn't have the security numbers on the back of your card, and many online/in person merchants require this number).
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I've used the Paypal plug in a few times and it works great.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
A news item today in USA Today lists stores that have had their customers' CC and debit card info compromised:

TJMaxx (again)
Marshall's (or any of the TJX holdings)
Barnes & Noble
Office Max
Boston Market
Sports Authority
Forever 21
DSW
Dave & Buster's
BJ's Wholesale Club

A slimeball from Miami has been charged with hacking, along with others from Ukraine, China, Belaris and Estonia. But you know, it's an epidemic and there's lots more out there who haven't been caught.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
When my credit card number was stolen, I was told that one of the popular ways for it to happen is at restaurants. We all know to guard our credit cards with our lives but then we don't hesitate to hand it over at a restaurant where the waiter/waitress then takes it out of our sight for 5-10 minutes!! Honestly, I had never even given that a thought.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
alice~in~wonderland wrote:
simran wrote:

Even though you may be careful about destroying your own personal receipts, doesn't mean that all stores you purchase from put the same effort into destroying receipts. I would assume there are also credit card number "guessing" machines that theives are using (since you mentioned they didn't have the security numbers on the back of your card, and many online/in person merchants require this number).

i understand that numbers can be stolen when shopping...........but for this particular occasion it wasnt locally..............because my credit card company told me someone was using my card in Sweden not New Zealand. So definatly the number was stolen online in that particular month.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
When my credit card number was stolen, I was told that one of the popular ways for it to happen is at restaurants. We all know to guard our credit cards with our lives but then we don't hesitate to hand it over at a restaurant where the waiter/waitress then takes it out of our sight for 5-10 minutes!! Honestly, I had never even given that a thought.

Yeah isn't that sneaky? I've heard this too and still hand it over....what's the alternative? Cash? Check? It's sooooo easy just to whip out the plastic, that we are lulled to a false sense of security. Whenever possible I pay at the desk where I can keep my eye on who is doing what. But still, anyone can make copies...

So how do you handle the restaurant situation?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
brenpatsa wrote:

Yeah isn't that sneaky? I've heard this too and still hand it over....what's the alternative? Cash? Check? It's sooooo easy just to whip out the plastic, that we are lulled to a false sense of security. Whenever possible I pay at the desk where I can keep my eye on who is doing what. But still, anyone can make copies...

So how do you handle the restaurant situation?

I don't. Laughing I still do exactly the same as you do because I don't see an alternative, at least at some restaurants. The police officer (who specialized in fraud) that told me about this said that some employee/thieves have their own tiny, scanner "gadget" that they quickly and subtly use to record your card's info.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, Mary, I heard about that little scanner too. I'd thrash them to pieces if I caught them at it.

It's so Luddite to write a check, and I know it slows things down, but I think I will be doing it more now after this last scare. Although to WAMU's credit, they notified me immediately this week that something was fishy. They also put a hold on my CC once when I tried to use it in Vegas - I had to call them and let them know it really WAS me out there spending like a drunken sailor!! Reassuring, but I don't depend on it. I still go over my receipts with my statement every month.

Keep me posted please if you know of any other scams I should be aware of!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:59 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
alice~in~wonderland wrote:
simran wrote:

i understand that numbers can be stolen when shopping...........but for this particular occasion it wasnt locally..............because my credit card company told me someone was using my card in Sweden not New Zealand. So definatly the number was stolen online in that particular month.

My credit card was being used to book italian rail tickets and I'm in Australia!
I worked out it was the Roses Only site. Abit of a worry as you only used ebay and EDS. Any luck finding out who? where?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't it something!
Most cards have a Fraud Protection Department, and if you let them know of any unauthorized charges, they should be able to help. WAMU has been on the ball with mine. They are the ones who notified me this time about the Moscow charges (I'm in USA). But still it pays to go over your charges with a fine-toothed comb each month.
I sure do.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Paypal Plug in, and have started using it at any new websites, and especially international pharmacies.

I am also going to look at getting a Citi credit card because they will also generate random one-time credit card numbers for you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
There are a couple of things you can do. Use credit cards and not your debit card, that way the credit card company will take the loss if you find the charge in time.

Next when you recieve your receipt make sure your card number is not on the copy you give back to the merchant, and if it is, scribble out the middle 4-5 numbers.

Make sure you review your credit card statement monthly for charges you did not make. I always find something, freak out, and then figure out it was me charging something afterall. lol The reason you need to review your statements is that some credit card companies will not re-imburse you on charges 250.00 or less unless you report it within 60 days. Amex is one of those companies.

I'm not comfortable using my checkbook anymore, since I see on a regular basis, criminal are using the checking accts electronically to pay for stuff.

Oh, I work in the fraud dept for a wireless phone company, so I see some pretty sad stuff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I’m not convinced that online shopping is any riskier than other forms of card use. Every time you use your card anywhere you are giving your card info out. Which is one reason I always grovel to waiters, bar tenders, shop assistants and all service staff. I like to imagine they’ll only “borrow” the card info of customers who are rude ...or don’t tip

But it’s not always the staff’s fault and it doesn’t happen just in those suspect/dodgy places or websites. I heard through what I consider a reliable source of a 5 star hotel where staff had been “persuaded” by the kind of people you don’t want to argue with into providing credit card details of customers.. ie they were paid to provide a certain number of card details on a monthly basis.

You could say the staff involved had a choice, but if I was a hotel employee on base grade pay and had to choose between bending the law a little and receiving a few extra bucks or having my mother beaten up, well ...

Unfortunately, credit card fraud is a big earner for organised crime.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
bethany - thanks, I will look into the Citi card. I have a Mac, so the PayPal plug-in won't work, they say. Drat

zyggy - haha I got a laugh out of your signature..".....they get nervous and give the wrong answers". And thanks for the great tips from the "horse's mouth".....sorry, couldn't resist, with your animal theme...I appreciate your insights.

appletini - boy! that's an eye-opener for me about the organized crime leaning on staff at the 5-star hotel. Altho I don't know why I'm so shocked. We really have to be savvy anymore, and the more info we have the better armed we are.

thanks so much for posting!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |