Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
Where did you guys buy your distilled water from? Is it the same as the distilled water for drinking?

I buy mine from the supermarket in 2 litre bottles for a couple of dollars. We have it in our laundry/ironing section.
tortoiseshell
5% products discount

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi, rank beginner here - Would it work to mix up an E plus Ferulic base in distilled water with a bit of vodka as a solvent, and then add C to a bit of the base fresh each day? If I did that would the E/Ferulic mixture need a preservative? - Oh - another question - I've noticed the Skinceuticals products for the eye area don't go above 5 percent - is it a bad idea to use anything stronger around the eye? Thanks...
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:47 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
funkydory wrote:
Where did you guys buy your distilled water from? Is it the same as the distilled water for drinking?

I buy mine from the supermarket in 2 litre bottles for a couple of dollars. We have it in our laundry/ironing section.

Thanks Mishey!! I remember back in chemistry class, they had distilled water that comes in this special container so it doesn't contaminate, just wondering if its the same as the bottled distilled water for drinking. I just bought a bottle! YAY!
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)
6 drops of Vitamin E oil

Dissolve the C in the water stirring frequently till no crystal remains (10 minutes or so), to that now add the powders; (MSM + Ferulic) and stir till dissolved. In a separate little glass stir together the remaining ingredients; (SKB, Vit E, + DNA cream) + stir till mixed well. Now add it all together stirring for 3 or 4 minutes, and transfer it into a dark blue or amber 1oz dropper bottle. (Two glass shot glasses are perfect for mixing up this serum.)

A 1oz bottle last's me between 7 + 9 weeks and I apply to face, neck, decolette' + hands. I keep it in my bathroom, but it's good to keep any C products in the fridge.

I buy my ingredients at several different places. Here's a couple;

http://www.skinactives.com/

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=46

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/index1.html

The last one is especially helpful as there is a ton of info and advice, as well as good conversion charts for the DIY'er!

CareKate's recipe is exactly how I got my start down the DIY path. I love her recipe's and have learned much from her posts in general. Her vitamin C recipe is especially nice recipe for getting your feet wet. It's easy to make and effective. The ingredient your trying to remember is 'propylene glycol'. It gives the serum a nice consistency and stabilizes it somewhat. I don't like it though personally, because I feel it just lays on my skin and hinders penetration. Glycerin is great for mature/dry skin, but most people find it too greasy unless it's used in a very tiny amount..

Quick question, has anyone tried to add Niacinamide and Glucosamine to their C serum?

Also another quick Q, can I use Seamolient instead of Seakelp for base of C serum?
DLI
5% products discount

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Okay here it goes... I tried my Vit c serum for the first time, and it looked like poridge.. now it looks like milk.. what have I done wrong?? Confused
Help !!! I followed the recipe, bit seemed to take along time for the "C" to dissolve.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:37 am      Reply with quote
DLI wrote:
Okay here it goes... I tried my Vit c serum for the first time, and it looked like poridge.. now it looks like milk.. what have I done wrong?? Confused
Help !!! I followed the recipe, bit seemed to take along time for the "C" to dissolve.

You are good - everything sounds like it worked! Very Happy Yes the LAA takes forever to dissolve.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:32 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Yes the LAA takes forever to dissolve.

My LAA from Personal Formulator dissolved in seconds.
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I went to CVS today and found uncoated aspirin. I've looked several places but didn't think of CVS until now. While I was paying for the aspirin I saw that they had the airline size bottles of vodka for 99cents behind the counter so I picked up one of those as well. That is one more ingredient off my shopping list.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:22 am      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
I went to CVS today and found uncoated aspirin. I've looked several places but didn't think of CVS until now. While I was paying for the aspirin I saw that they had the airline size bottles of vodka for 99cents behind the counter so I picked up one of those as well. That is one more ingredient off my shopping list.

They sell alcohol at your CVS? Get a martini bar in there I would shop there a lot more often. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:

Are these ingredients for the C serum? Question
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Bira: Vodka is an ingredient in Kassys 15% C, E, + Ferulic Acid. I believe it is used to dissolve the Ferulic Acid which is not water soluble. The uncoated aspirin is an ingredient for an exfoliating mask I wanted to try.

Alley: Yep, all the supermarkets, Walgreens, etc. sell alcohol. I never paid much attention but it seemed a good opportunity to get the travel size bottle while I wait for the SKB to arrive. For 99 cents I figured I couldn't go wrong...LOL...
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
I never paid much attention but it seemed a good opportunity to get the travel size bottle while I wait for the SKB to arrive. For 99 cents I figured I couldn't go wrong...LOL...

The plus with the little bit of vodka in the serum is that it makes it more stable, and it is also a very *pure* type of bacteria fighter.. Win, win, that bit of vodka is.. Wink

Don't forget to use the tip I gave for heating the SKB, vodka + FA in a little glass in the microwave for 6 or 8 seconds.. (Makes a huge difference to the final serum..)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Anybody have any recommended recipes for making a serum similar to the 302 skincare lightening drops? I'm quite certain the mint extract in their product will break out my skin, otherwise I'd purchase it in a heartbeat (or maybe not as their ordering process is too much to deal with) so I was thinking of mixing some jojoba oil, the oil based vitamin c, and some niacinamide...but I don't think that the niacin will dissolve, will it?
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
The plus with the little bit of vodka in the serum is that it makes it more stable, and it is also a very *pure* type of bacteria fighter.. Win, win, that bit of vodka is.. Wink

Hi Kassy,

As you know that I have made myself one Vit C serum based on your patent-pending formulation. I love it!!!

From bulkactives, it is said that we must add preservative in the serum as the water content is so high.

Thus, what you said that we don't need any preservative because of the presence of vodka, am I right?
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering about Hyaluronic Acid.

4 oz 1% solution:
$31.75 at Personal Formulator
$11.50 at Essential Wholesalers

At LotionCrafters and Skinactives they sell it as a powder $4.75 and $7.50 for 1 gram.

"1 gram of Hyaluronic Acid Powder will make 100 grams (3.53 ounces) of a 1% solution"

I am thinking of purchasing the powder and mixing it in distilled water. This cuts the cost of this ingredient to less than half.

Am I missing something and way off base here?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
Anybody have any recommended recipes for making a serum similar to the 302 skincare lightening drops? I'm quite certain the mint extract in their product will break out my skin, otherwise I'd purchase it in a heartbeat (or maybe not as their ordering process is too much to deal with) so I was thinking of mixing some jojoba oil, the oil based vitamin c, and some niacinamide...but I don't think that the niacin will dissolve, will it?

Check your PM for your very own 302 imposter.. Wink

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

As you know that I have made myself one Vit C serum based on your patent-pending formulation. I love it!!!

Thus, what you said that we don't need any preservative because of the presence of vodka, am I right?

The vodka, SKB + vitamin E all help to keep it more stable.. Keeping it in the fridge, and storing it in a dark or amber bottle also helps.. I've yet to have one change color, before the 6 to 8 weeks it lasts. (Not even one teensy, weency bit.. Very Happy )

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
Just wondering about Hyaluronic Acid.

4 oz 1% solution:
$31.75 at Personal Formulator
$11.50 at Essential Wholesalers

At LotionCrafters and Skinactives they sell it as a powder $4.75 and $7.50 for 1 gram.

"1 gram of Hyaluronic Acid Powder will make 100 grams (3.53 ounces) of a 1% solution"

I am thinking of purchasing the powder and mixing it in distilled water. This cuts the cost of this ingredient to less than half.

Am I missing something and way off base here?

If you make a 4oz serum you will have to add preservatives in it..

I'm also thinking it's turning out to be a swift PITA for all us DIY'ers, because there are so many different ways to purchase it.. There are even 2 different strengths, and it isn't always clear when purchasing..

At this point, I am just going to buy a 4oz HA serum (probably Nanci's at NCN which is nice), and just use it accordingly if I want to thicken up my serums..

It's a nice enough ingredient, but is causing a lot of trouble for some.. And with me being mathematically challenged, I don't want to give anyone the wrong advice..

Whatever you decide to do, just be sure that you know how to figure what amounts to 1% in any DIY ventures.. Rolling Eyes Laughing

milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, now your talking preservatives and right away it is over my head Confused

I'll purchase the liquid with the preservative in it. Easy.... I like things to be Easy...

Thank you Kassy for all your help!!! I wouldn't even try DYI if it weren't for you.
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Coconut wrote:

Ooh ooh-- can I have this too? Very Happy

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 am      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Coconut wrote:

Me too please Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
generally HA is in concentrations bet'n 1 - 3%. I have no idea how you figure that out with regards to the powder. The liquid is measured in ml's; I couldn't be wrong but I don't think you can measure the powder in the same way. Kassy will probably know what to do.

ps I just noticed your post about the suppliers list, you will find a million things "you have to have"

lol soooo true...I'm trying to fill my shopping cart with items for a C serum but i keep thinking there're other things I must also need. Laughing
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
InkyProse wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Coconut wrote:

Me too please Smile

Moi, too, please pretty please. Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
You guys are killing me..

In regards to the 302, I gave Coconut a DIY recipe, based on the ingredients posted on the website... I do not know if that is a complete list or only the active portion... (If any of you have the actual product with full ingredient disclosure, PM it to me).

Based on the ingredients I saw posted, anybody should be able to make a comparable serum easily;

Ingredients
Phyto-lipids of avocado, organic jojoba oil, tetrahexyldecylascorbate, lavender oil, tangerine and mint extracts

The oil will act as the emulsifier, and also offers some preservative qualities.. The tangerine and mint are more for the fragrance and tingle effect..(Any time you see mint, menthol or the like, it's there for the tingling quality, that makes us assume it must be working. In my humble opinion of course!

Personally I love the simplicity of this type of serum, and if I were looking for a retail line to use, 302 would probably be it. It has all the good stuff our skin needs and craves, and none of the crap we can all do without.. (I'm impressed with simple + effective.)

I prefer not to post the recipe I gave Coconut because I feel it is not in any one's best interest to offer what is simply my interpretation of the serum. Many members use and love the 302 line, and the advise given by Boski, Dr H and other's in that thread should be adhered to for the very best results.. I feel it would be totally inappropriate for me to upset that apple cart with a DIY formula posted publicly on the forum.

The ingredients noted above are fabulous, and I leave it to you to experiment a bit with a lovely serum.. I'd also offer that you go with 7% for the THDA (which dissolves right into the oil)... Very Happy

milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I had no idea that SkinActives was located in Gilbert, AZ. I found out in the wee hours this morning after I placed my order. So instead of waiting for my order I am driving down (about 20 min) to pick it up on Monday morning
Dancing
System
Automatic Message
Fri May 03, 2024 1:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |