Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
FINACEA findings~ please read
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Hello All
So I ewent to the derm last week about my frustration with my skin issues. It has been going on for most of my adult life, but up until 7 months ago, it was tolerale.

So I have used probably ever OTC product, from Clearasil, Murad, Neutrogena, to proaciv, to all sorts of RX's...Retin-A, Tazorac and Benzeclin. Some helped, nothing helped so dramatically that I continued. So after reading some posts on here and doing some research and asked my derm for FINACEA. I read it was for Roscsa, but many people use it for acne as well.

I picked up my prescription on Wednesday. I have used it Wed (once) Thursday (twice) and Friday (twice). Here are my findings.

I have still had a couple breakouts, places where I normally would, however I have had three pimples in three days. I normally get 6-8 a day. No whiteheads-NONE, how could I have NONE? I get them off and on throughout the day. The best things ever so far, I have had three small (very small) sebaceous cysts, (you know the tiny ones that you think are clogged pores, but you can never extract them?), and I have been applying a small glob of my Finacea cream on them at night and two of them are GONE, I am not kidding GONE. I have tried everything on them. My derm told me that I would probably have to have them removed.
One last thing, I had some old acne marks and hyperpigmentation on the sides of my face that I normally hide from because I can not cover them up, well those are getting lighter already. I looked in my mirror in my car, no makeup on them and they are fading. (even my BF said he thought my skin looked really clear)...
I am very pleased so far. This is a very early review on FINACEA, and we will see if it continues to improve things. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and I will keep you all updated. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
That's great! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 am      Reply with quote
This is wonderful news...I am so happy for you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thats great bergquis...but if I remember correctly, didnt you use Taz with some success aswell?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
I did use Taz very long ago with some success, but even with the success I had with Taz, it was nothing like the success I am experiencing with Finacea. (fingers crossed). The reason I say that is because, Taz I would have to be very careful with. It made me greasy, so although in the beginning it helped with some problems, I was an oil slick. Daily and at night. Plus I got the peelies when I used too much. This is not the case at all with Finacea.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
YEAH Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation So glad it's helping you!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck and keep us posted...
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Great news! Yes, please let us know how things progress with your skin and Finacea. I'm very curious and am thinking of asking my derm for some, but she's on vacation for a few weeks and I can't get in until she's back. I know it's only been a few days you've been using it, but I'm so pleased for you and hope the success continues!
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi bergquis, how is your skin now?

How is the Finacea gel used? Morning and night?
Also can it be used with Retin-A? Cos I'm planning on asking my derm for Finacea for just use in the mornings as I'm already using Retin-A at night
Thanks
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi
Finacea is going WONDERFULLY! I can not be happier. It is not the end all of end all bullet proof correction, but I have only had three breakouts since I start using (only last Wed night, was my first night). I use it twice a day. I have read so much about it on line, that most people say that things get better and better with time. I am doing some extractions on my pores, but I know it is from stuff that was already in there. (I have been keeping track of the areas on my face I have cleaned out my pores on, and I see it is keeping them unclogged.). I also started using Glycolic Cleanser from PRT. The 3%, face cleanser. I like that very much as well. The cleanser dries my face slightly, but once I put on the Finacea, it keeps my skin really moist. I have read that some people get dry skin from Finacea. Not me. Fingers crossed, I don't wake up with whiteheads and pimples daily now. I hope I don't become immune to it. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thats excellent! I will definately ask my derm if he could write a script for Finacea next week- though I'm not sure if we have them over here in the UK Confused
Keep us updated bergquis, love reading success stories Very Happy
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
wow this sounds like the treatment for me!
I have been using Jan Marini acne gel and bioclear cream and they have help in keeping the large pimples under control, but now my face keeps getting these bumps, like cysts that don't seen to erupt, just sit there and make my skin look bumpy. Hopefully Finacea will get rid of them. And good news- just read that this product is in the FDA pregnancy category B- meaning it should not be harmful to unborn babies- I'm going for my first IVF cycle next month!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
Hi bergquis, how is your skin now?

How is the Finacea gel used? Morning and night?
Also can it be used with Retin-A? Cos I'm planning on asking my derm for Finacea for just use in the mornings as I'm already using Retin-A at night
Thanks

I'm using Finacea in the morning and Retacnyl at night. Retacnyl is a cream formulation of Tretinoin (same active chemical as Retin-A). The combination of Finacea plus Retacnyl is a bit drying for me (combination skin), but still tolerable. If you have oily skin, it would be fine. btw my skin is not sensitive. If your skin is sensitive, make sure you are stable on retin-A (used it for at least 3 months and no more peeling or purging) before you start finacea.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
I have been using Jan Marini acne gel and bioclear cream and they have help in keeping the large pimples under control, but now my face keeps getting these bumps, like cysts that don't seen to erupt, just sit there and make my skin look bumpy. Hopefully Finacea will get rid of them. And good news- just read that this product is in the FDA pregnancy category B- meaning it should not be harmful to unborn babies- I'm going for my first IVF cycle next month!

I love my Finacea! It's great for swelling, redness, bumps, you name it! Also, my derm told me it's safe to use even if I get pregnant which is great news! Good luck to you, CG!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Canadian Girl wrote:

I love my Finacea! It's great for swelling, redness, bumps, you name it! Also, my derm told me it's safe to use even if I get pregnant which is great news! Good luck to you, CG!

thanks liz!
I hope both the finacea and the IVF work for me!
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
I'm using Finacea in the morning and Retacnyl at night. Retacnyl is a cream formulation of Tretinoin (same active chemical as Retin-A). The combination of Finacea plus Retacnyl is a bit drying for me (combination skin), but still tolerable. If you have oily skin, it would be fine. btw my skin is not sensitive. If your skin is sensitive, make sure you are stable on retin-A (used it for at least 3 months and no more peeling or purging) before you start finacea.

Thanks m1rox. I'm still waiting for my GP to sign my script for Financea but I should be starting Finacea and Retin-A by the end of the week.
Are you using that combo for acne? If so, how is it working for you?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:23 am      Reply with quote
What percentage are you all using? At alldaychemist it is offering 10 or 20... what do you think?

The active is azaleic acid, btw, which used to be available from skinactives, but doesnt appear to be, any longer. I would quite like to find a source for DIY-ing..
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:38 am      Reply with quote
For those who don't get a prescription for Finacea, here is a non-prescription alternative: Benev Azalex Gel. It contains 10 % azelaic acid, whereas Finacea has a 15 % concentration.

Description:
Azalex Gel, with 10 % azelaic acid, is a soothing, calming, topical azelaic gel formulated to keep rosacea symptoms at bay and reduce the appearances of rosacea, redness, irritated skin, facial flushing and broken blood vessels.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/benev-azalex-gel-p_8822.htm

Sometimes my face flushes and I get some small pustules on my face which I believe is rosacea related. It does not happen often, but I have been thinking about buying the Benev gel to use occasionally. Has anybody used it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:30 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
What percentage are you all using? At alldaychemist it is offering 10 or 20... what do you think?

The active is azaleic acid, btw, which used to be available from skinactives, but doesnt appear to be, any longer. I would quite like to find a source for DIY-ing..

I'm not using it right now but the Finacea is 15% azelaic acid and its a gel whereas the alldaychemist one is a cream. You could try Australian pharmacies cos I read that over there, Finacea is a OTC rather than a prescription med.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:01 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

Skinactives does have an azelaic acid derivative called Azeloyl Glycine. I don't know how effective it will be compared to azelaic acid, but it's said to be anti-bacterial, anti-rosacea, anti-comedogenic, anti-acne and anti-melasma.

Azeloyl Glycine is recently added to Skinactive's product range. 10 ml is $9.50. It's supposed to be added to a cream or SKB to a maximum of 10 % concentration.

http://skinactives.com/products/azeloylglycine.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 am      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
m1rox wrote:

Thanks m1rox. I'm still waiting for my GP to sign my script for Financea but I should be starting Finacea and Retin-A by the end of the week.
Are you using that combo for acne? If so, how is it working for you?

No actually not. I have a condition called syringomas, which are little bumps around the eyes and forehead due to overgrowth of sweat glands. I had to have them lasered and the doc prescribed me retacnyl for reducing the risk of them coming back. I have been using retacnyl on the rest of my face because it's troublesome to apply different products to different areas. I noticed it improved the quality of my skin overall, I presume it's the antiageing properties. But I still have stubborn blackheads on my nose and chin and a few hormonal breakouts on the chin. Plus uneven skin tone due to previous sun damage. So the Finacea is to address those issues.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks m1rox.

Before I using Finacea, would I need to wait x minutes for the skin to dry like the Retin-A?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
So I wanted to update you all on my routine with using Finacea. I have been using it since August 16th, so almost two weeks now. Things are going great. Not perfect, but great, in comparison to my skin before I started using it. My routine is
AM
cleanse with nothing but water
wipe face down with wpure witch hazel
let dry for approx. 15-20 minutes
apply Finacea, rub in gently and allow to dry approx. 15 minutes.
I do not use makeup, except conceslor to cover up a few blemishes

PM
cleanser with Peter Thomas Roth glycolic 3% wash
allow skin to dry 20 minutes, apply Finacea.
wait 20 minutes and apply Neutrogena healthy anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish moisturizer. I use this about 3-4 times a week) so not every night

My skin is looking really good and I am not waking up and coming home with 6-8 blemishes a day like I was prior to using Finacea. I still do get some clogged pores (not as many as I had) and the ones I have can be easily extracted, and that is probably because the Finacea sloughed off the dead skin, and thick skin. I have read so many reviews that state that things continued to get better with at the four-six week mark, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. So, I am happy because I feel like my skin is under control and I don't worry about looking in the mirror and needing to spend hours trying to "hide" from my skin. I will continue to give you guys updates. Thanks to all those who recommended. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
Thanks m1rox.

Before I using Finacea, would I need to wait x minutes for the skin to dry like the Retin-A?

The drying time is not so crucial for Finacea. It is less irritating to the skin compared to Retin-A. As long as it feels dry to you, should be OK to apply Finacea. Do take note that it gives a stinging sensation when you apply it though. Do not be alarmed. It goes away after about 20 mins or so (varies with the individual). I really like the feeling, it's like your pores are tightening up! I hope it works for you.
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Waaahhhh! I can't get in to my derm for three weeks! I'm so anxious to try this!

Bergquis, please continue to update us with your results. I'm happy it's going well for you!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |