Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Keys Soap Solar RX Therapuetic Sunblock 30
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
I just broke down and purchased the number one sunscreen on the cosmetic safety data base,Keys Soap Solar Rx Therapeutic Sunblock, SPF 30. They actually had it at a local health/wellness center, which is amazing, since we don't live in a large area. At any rate, it seems to go on lightly and is not sticky, like most zinc formulas. The scent is very "organic" and may bother some people initially.....however, it fades rapidly. Hopefully this will be a good every day alternative to block out the rays while doing errands, driving, etc. At any rate, the active ingredient is nano zinc oxide, 16%. May I use mineral make-up over this sunscreen? I do not want anything to degrade the formula. Thanks!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
belledivine67, which local store did u purchase this from? I believe you're not in Vancouver??

As far as I know, only Avobenzone will degrade MMU. If the active ingredient is Zinc Oxide, you're fine. Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
belledivine67, you can safely use mineral make-up over mineral sunscreen Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
It's definitely a sunscreen I'm keeping my eye on now! KBLang tried it and she really liked it. Share with us what you think of it. Smile Oh and don't worry about using MMU with it.

5% products discount

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I too use Keys...have been for a few months now and it really is great - actually all their products are wonderful and perfect for highly sensitive skin. The eye butter is wicked! I highly recommend them all!
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
It's definitely a sunscreen I'm keeping my eye on now! KBLang tried it and she really liked it. Share with us what you think of it. Smile Oh and don't worry about using MMU with it.

Nimue's right: I'm a fan! I've been using it for a week now, and while I agree that the smell is a little like one's spice drawer at first, I found that it fades very quickly. I really like how easily it rubs in and that it seems to have good "staying power." For me, the fact that it's not super-moisturizing is a good thing, especially for summer, and no breakouts either. Also, some good news: I contacted the co. and found out that the zinc level is actually 18.5% -- so you're even more protected. Cool I posted a fuller review on another sunscreen thread recently; head over to The 2 Safest Sunscreens (http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28588) if you're interested. It's a physical sunscreen lover's heaven over there. Very Happy

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang, it says on their site that the % is 15.5... so which should I believe? Confused

http://www.keys-soap.com/Keys_Skin_Care.pdf

scroll to the bottom of the page
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
It's 18.5%. KBLang contacted them and they said it was a typo. Unfortunately, it looks like they still didn't fix it.

Stardustdy wrote:
KBLang, it says on their site that the % is 15.5... so which should I believe? Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Ditto Nimue, it is a typo (which you think they'd fix!!) Here's the email:

It is 18.5%. I will let our website folks know about the error

Sorry for the confusion!

Regards,
Mickey

Keys Customer Service

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 am      Reply with quote
So the bottle didn't state the % of Zinc Oxide? I guess it's fine. I wonder if it's carried here in Vancouver...hhm
belledivine67
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Stardusty,

I purchased it from a local healthfood store in neighboring Eastern Ohio. I can't even remember the name, since I never go there. If you go to the Keys website, you can enter your zip code for the nearest representative. That is how I found the healthfood store!

So far so good....no breakouts! All zinc products have a residual "tackiness", but this product has far less than the others. The scent dissipates rapidly.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
So the bottle didn't state the % of Zinc Oxide? I guess it's fine. I wonder if it's carried here in Vancouver...hhm

I actually just was checking the % based on the discrepancy on their website. And I ordered a sample first, which didn't have the full product info. I just ordered a full bottle today, so I'll let you know when I get that.

You can also do a dealer location search from the home pagewww.keys-soap.com -- that might help you find a Vancouver retailer. I'm in the middle of nowhere USA, so I had to order online.

Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies, they do carry it at my local pharmacy but they're out of stock!! Sad So they'll call me once it's in again. Not sure how long I have to wait...

I was thinking of ordering a sample like you too KBLang but it costs around $7 including shipping for 0.5oz. Since my local store carries it, i'll wait patiently then.

Btw, what's the texture of this sunscreen? Runny or cream like? I hope it's not too runny as I always have trouble applying it. So how effective is it in terms of sun protection? Thanks! Smile
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
btw, I just read another post from a forum member here that says nano size uncoated Zinc Oxide is harmful to the skin as it produces free radicals that're absorbed into the skin... And Keys Soap SPF 30 is using uncoated nano size Zinc Oxide Shock so should we be aware of it then?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
btw, I just read another post from a forum member here that says nano size uncoated Zinc Oxide is harmful to the skin as it produces free radicals that're absorbed into the skin... And Keys Soap SPF 30 is using uncoated nano size Zinc Oxide Shock so should we be aware of it then?

I don't think so. Zinc oxide, (in whatever size, shape, coating, etc) has not been shown to be harmful to the skin, ever.

Anyway if you're still unsure it's your decision... If you feel better with coated zinc oxide and/or with micro rather than nano sizes, then you can look for a sunscreen with that. As for me, I don't worry about it because I'm confident that it's safe enough for me, your conclusions may be different.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Hi ladies, they do carry it at my local pharmacy but they're out of stock!! Sad So they'll call me once it's in again. Not sure how long I have to wait...

I was thinking of ordering a sample like you too KBLang but it costs around $7 including shipping for 0.5oz. Since my local store carries it, i'll wait patiently then.

Btw, what's the texture of this sunscreen? Runny or cream like? I hope it's not too runny as I always have trouble applying it. So how effective is it in terms of sun protection? Thanks! Smile

Glad that you can find it locally Stardustdy! It is indeed very cream like -- not runny at all, so that's good for you! Smile

As for the nano question (which, as you know, seems to be bouncing around on a lot of threads right now!), I will agree with Nimue, based on my own research, that zinc (nano or otherwise, coated or not) is safe and effective, and at the very, very least, the lesser of sunscreen evils.

So glad you've had good luck with it too, belledivine67! (And the more people who are breakout free, the less paranoid I get about my face suddenly turning on me. Smile)

Greenhillgirl32
5% products discount

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

I ordered mine fromwww. hornetmountain. com. Their website says they're located in Grand Forks but since I am from Ontario I have no idea if that is close to you or not...But, you're lucky that your local pharmacy carries that brand!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Greenhillgirl32 wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

I ordered mine fromwww. hornetmountain. com. Their website says they're located in Grand Forks but since I am from Ontario I have no idea if that is close to you or not...But, you're lucky that your local pharmacy carries that brand!

I just checked the site and noticed that the % of Zinc Oxide is only 16%. Somebody mentioned earlier in this post saying it's 18.5%... so which is correct now? I don't think that's a misprint?
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
I just checked the site and noticed that the % of Zinc Oxide is only 16%. Somebody mentioned earlier in this post saying it's 18.5%... so which is correct now? I don't think that's a misprint?

Hi Stardusty,

I emailed Customer Service at Keys, and the rep replied that it's a misprint on the website: 18.5% is indeed the correct percentage. And I just rcvd. my first full size bottle today, and it also has 18.5% Why they haven't changed their website yet though is beyond me! HTH

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Would love to find this in my area, but no.
The sample size, on the website is $4.49 for 2 0z, while the full size bottle is $26 for 3.4 Oz. Plus $4.80 for S&H.
Cheaper to get a few sample sizes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:25 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
The sample size, on the website is $4.49 for 2 0z, while the full size bottle is $26 for 3.4 Oz. Plus $4.80 for S&H.

Fawnie, I just wanted to clarify for you that the 2 oz. is how much they'll charge for total "shipping weight" -- the actually amount (as pictured on the bottle) is just .5 oz. Razz Not sure why they list the weight that way -- it's very confusing! I just didn't want you to get it and be surprised. Also, I bought mine at http://www.purebodysolutions.com where the price is the same and shipping is based on your location (mine was like $2). HTH!

Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 am      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
fawnie wrote:

Fawnie, I just wanted to clarify for you that the 2 oz. is how much they'll charge for total "shipping weight" -- the actually amount (as pictured on the bottle) is just .5 oz. Razz Not sure why they list the weight that way -- it's very confusing! I just didn't want you to get it and be surprised. Also, I bought mine at http://www.purebodysolutions.com where the price is the same and shipping is based on your location (mine was like $2). HTH!

KBLang, have u try their UV Natural SPF 30? It used 24% micronized coated ZnO. So for those that worry about the nano size ZnO, this might be a better alternative?

Also, on their site, they were saying that Titanium in any forms is harmful to the skin whether is macro, micro, or nano. So that leads me to the question of what about MMU?? Confused
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang
Well I'm glad you clarified that! I sure didn't see 0.5oz anywhere on that site.
Yes, I'll order from PureBodySolutions in the future.
Thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
KBLang, have u try their UV Natural SPF 30? It used 24% micronized coated ZnO. So for those that worry about the nano size ZnO, this might be a better alternative?

Also, on their site, they were saying that Titanium in any forms is harmful to the skin whether is macro, micro, or nano. So that leads me to the question of what about MMU?? Confused

I got a sample of UV Natural from PureBodySolutions a couple weeks ago in my pursuit for the best sunscreen. I haven't been personally as concerned about coated vs. uncoated, though I know others will disagree with me on that. In any case, I can't say I was real impressed with the UV Natural. On the Cosmetics Database reviews by consumers on the top 10 sunscreens, this one did not fair well, and I think it lives up to its not-great reviews. The consistency is like Elmer's glue, and it's slightly tinted. While it rubs in ok, my husband used it while out on a long bike ride, and he reported what I can only imagine is the flaking others have experienced by the end of one of his rides -- he just didn't use that vocabulary, imagine the guy-version of flaking. Laughing He's had much better luck with Soleo for more longterm coverage, but that's uncoated also.

Hmm, as for titanium dioxide in MMU, I haven't actually been that worried about it, though I haven't looked into whether the kind I use is nano or not. I personally try to disregard whatever gets said on a site that's trying to sell something, unless I can back it up with real research. I mean, UV natural wants you to buy their product, which is zinc, so naturally (pun intended) they'll tell you titanium dioxide is evil. Now I won't use titanim in nano form myself, but I just don't know if that's the case with MMU. Anybody else have input on this?

Sorry about your experience fawnie!

Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
hhm can anyone compare the Keys Soap to Epicuren ss? They both have around the same % of ZnO. Epicuren 17% and Keys Soap 18.5% somebody mentioned b4 but the SPF is 20 for Epicuren and 30 for Keys Soap. I wonder why's that? I remember Nimue from another post said she contacted the spa and asked the size of the ZnO in Epicuren and it's around 50nm or less so it's considered nano size?
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 20, 2024 11:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Bioelements Collagen Rehab Mask (50 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |