Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oils that help with headaches
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone know of certain oils that help with headaches? Some oils are supposed to be soothing if you inhale them and place them on the temples or something. I have bad headaches and someone advised me to use lavender oil. Anyway ever try this? If so does it really work?
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:01 am      Reply with quote
For bad headaches, I take peppermint oil and rub it on my temples and the back of my neck. People who have sensitive skin shouldn't do this, as they might experience a lot of irritation from peppermint oil. I did a patch test first. I'ven ever had any problems and it works wonders for me. I've never used lavender like that for headaches, but I have used it before bed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
peppermint or speariment oil is the best for this.
abbytab

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Castor oil is used for muscle spasms, it may help if you massage some into your temple area, hope you feel better!
kez
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Badger make a headache soothing balm, which you just rub on your temples. Smile
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
try tiger balm, eagle oil (both of these are pretty much like peppermint and spearmint) and emu
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
In my experience with headaches, nothing that I've smelled has made them better, and most smells actually make them a whole lot worse. That being said, lavender seems to be one of the few oils I can tolerate when I have a headache, so trying it can't hurt. My advice would be to try an eye pillow that blocks out the light (light sometimes exacerbates bad headaches), is cold (cold helps headaches in my experience), and has lavender for aromatherapy. I like to use something like this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=14155915

I keep it in the freezer in a ziploc until I need it, and then when a headache hits I lie down and place it over my eyes. It helps a lot!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
In my experience with headaches, nothing that I've smelled has made them better, and most smells actually make them a whole lot worse. That being said, lavender seems to be one of the few oils I can tolerate when I have a headache, so trying it can't hurt. My advice would be to try an eye pillow that blocks out the light (light sometimes exacerbates bad headaches), is cold (cold helps headaches in my experience), and has lavender for aromatherapy. I like to use something like this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=14155915

I keep it in the freezer in a ziploc until I need it, and then when a headache hits I lie down and place it over my eyes. It helps a lot!

Yes, I think that seems like the best idea. My friend from work purchased something similar to this. She bought this gel eye mask thing from The Body Shop. Before using it, she would place it in the freezer. My headaches are really bad. I think due to stress. So I will try the eye pillow out, plus, lavender oil as well.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard about lavender oil helping - massage a little into your temples. With any essential oils a little goes a long way so be careful not to use too much or the smell can be overpowering.
I hope this helps. Headaches and especially bad ones or migraines are just unbearable sometimes Sad
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it is an awful and miserable experience. I'm exercising regularly again and eating healthy foods. Hopefully that will make a difference. Learning how to relax will make my life much easier too. In the mean time, eye pillow and lavender oil will help aid in the relaxation process.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I used to have one of those lavender buckwheat pillows (I know I've seen them at mall kiosks..) they are fabulous!
Heat works better on my headaches...that thing was a lifesaver for ahem...cough coughhangoverscough cough.

As I don't drink anymore (November 14...one rough night...oy!) the ex got it in the divorce as he has much more use for it than I Laughing
Yes...we discussed a buckwheat lavender pillow...that's how good they are!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Many health food stores sell a roll-on made distinctly for this purpose made with peppermint and lavender oils (diluted, of course). One such is Health by the Sun's Migrastick (that's the one I see most frequently in stores). www.migrastick.com/en/index.php
http://wholesalesupplementstore.com/migrastick.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
This isn't an oil, but it works for me, have you tried Bryonia? It's a homeopathic remedy. Or Zyflamend?? Zyflamend is a GREAT natural anti-inflammatory!!
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Roll on. That sounds very convenient. I'll check that out at the local health food store.

I'm into homeopathic medicine, but, I haven't tried those two remedies. I'll have to look them up.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
If you can't find the Migrastik, if you have a Bath & Bodyworks near you I stopped in today and found they now have aromatherapy roll-ons for $10. Their headache blend is peppermint and rose geranium:
Bath & Bodyworks Instant Aromatherapy - Headache Relief
http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2922072#reviews

Another soothing combo is by Aveda:
Aveda Blue Oil Balancing Concentrate (roll-on) .24oz $13.50 www.aveda.com/templates/products/product_search.tmpl?KEYWORDS=blue+oil
Ingredients: Blue chamomile, Menthol, Peppermint, Vitamin C, Vitamin E

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Awesome! You have been a great help.
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi- I love lavender oil.

Internally if you are having headaches and they are at all "hormonal" as mine are Borage oil taken internally will help tremendously.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
platinumrose wrote:
Hi- I love lavender oil.

Internally if you are having headaches and they are at all "hormonal" as mine are Borage oil taken internally will help tremendously.

The hormonal point is a very good one (though I know not all migraines are from this) I never got migraines until I had hormone deficiencies so I feel very certain they are the key reason for me.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Sophias1920, I've spent a lifetime battling disabling migraines. At one time, my "migraine journal" showed I had a migraine 70% of the time, and that usually meant I was drugged, lying down in a dark room with an ice pack on my head. I also battled the doctor at the headache clinic because she wanted me drugged 24/7, and I didn't want to be drugged on those rare painless days. My darling husband and I really didn't have a life because we couldn't make plans. I would probably be down with a migraine. I tried absolutely everything I read about or heard of, and nothing helped. Then one day a customer in a health food store mentioned a book called The Maker's Diet. Well, heck, I had tried everything else on God's green earth, so I bought the book, began the diet, and ordered about $400 in supplements (yes, they're very pricey). Within 2 weeks, I was somewhat better, and over the next year, I gained control of my life again. It may not be for everyone, but I found my main trigger was sugar or even sugar substitutes. I no longer follow the diet to the letter or use the Garden of Life supplements exclusively, but I do believe they saved my life because I was at a point where I didn't really want to go on, in constant pain like that.

Don't give up. You answer is out there. Send me a private message if I can help in any way.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |