Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Suddenly shedding hairs and blocking plughole, help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:37 am      Reply with quote
In the past month and a half I've noticed that I'm losing lots more hairs than usual. The other night, I pulled what I thought was a couple of strands from the shower plughole and out came what can only be described as a huge wad of hair. It was horrifying. I only cleaned the bath a few days before so this this vast amount of hair loss has accelerated in the past few days.
I have been borderline anaemic in the past but it's under control now and I've never seen anything like this.
What could be causing this? To make matters worse, the front section of my hair gets greasy quickly if I don't wash it at least every other day and the thinner it gets, the greasier it gets as the oil spreads more easily and that in turn makes it look thinner.

I'm taking biotin 300mcg x 2 a day, taking 15mg of iron, yesterday I had wild alaskan salmon,the day before lots of chicken, so I'm eating lots of protein. I'm really puzzled and worried that at this rate I will be almost bald, a few months from now. Should I use Rogaine or try an alternative?

My nails are medium length but slightly bendy, could it be related? Does anyone have any experience of such hair loss or know what might cause it?
Any replies would be great.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I read good reviews for Nisim shampoo and extract. http://www.nisim.com It is supposed to be for both men and women. Extract is a star of their line. I got it for my husband a couple months ago. He liked it, and asked to order more.

I do not have hair problem, and got just shampoo for myself. It does contain SLS, but the results supposed to be there.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for replying. At this point I feel like anything's worth a try. I'll have a look at the website right now. Do you think SLS may have something to do with the shedding?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Camelia.
Certain birth control pills and an overdose of vitamin A can cause hair loss. Recently, a woman posted that she suspected that topically applied vitamin A cream (Differin) had caused her hair loss.

You can read the thread here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30533

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Yeas ago I was loosing what I felt like was a lot of hair. I had blood work done and that was normal. I started taking 2,000 mcg of Biotin and it helped alot also helped my nails. I've been taking it ever since.

Also there is a long thread some where on here about MSM. If I remember correctly this helped some with shedding.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Septembergirl. I'm not on any birth control and I don't think I'm taking too much vitamin A although I have heard of it causing hair loss. I take a fair bit of beta-carotene but I thought that was ok because it a precursor of vitamin A? I take it in the form of Green or Red Lightning shakes. Perhaps there's something in the ingredients that's thinning my hair? And there are a lot of ingredients to it so I wouldn't know where to begin.

Oh dear, I think I'm going to have to start being one of those neurotic people that writes everything that passes their lips in a "food diary" Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:24 am      Reply with quote
SLS in shampoos is controversial http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp
http://www.hairlossbuddy.com/20/sodium-lauryl-sulfate/

Some consider SLS to be negative, so I wanted to point it out just in case. At the same time Nisim has good reviews, and my husband is picky about hair products, since he asked about a second order it is a good sign.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl, perhaps I should really up the biotin. I can't find any research to suggest that such a high dose causes toxicity. About 5 years ago I was really into Alpha Lipoic Acid and felt run down, couldn't work out why. I discovered that it can deplete biotin but hopefully it doesn't work the other way around so that too much biotin depletes ALA? I can't find anything to suggest that it does so I will up the dosage.

I might try some MSM too, thanks for reminding me about that. I can never remember the good brands that dissolve in the vinegar test. I'll do a search on here and have a look. Thanks for the recommendation

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Want to add that before Nisim my husband and I used Aubrey Organics SLS-free shampoo. After he switched to Nisim, he found Nisim to be more beneficial then Aubrey Organics.
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I think that stress is playing a role here as well. Even when I divide iron supplements throughout the day, they sometimes they make me feel too fired up and irritable and that's really not me, I'm usually calm and relaxed. Does anyone know of a good, relaxation/meditation i-pod download by any chance? Someone with a beautiful voice that doesn't grate?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Stress definitely is detrimental to overall health including hair state. You can look into herb motherwort http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherwort

Take it as tea especially in the evening. It has bitter taste, but it does work pretty well.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
I don't think I'm taking too much vitamin A although I have heard of it causing hair loss. I take a fair bit of beta-carotene but I thought that was ok because it a precursor of vitamin A?

I agree that beta carotene is most likely not the culprit.

camelia wrote:
Oh dear, I think I'm going to have to start being one of those neurotic people that writes everything that passes their lips in a "food diary" Shock

Well, if you publish your food diary on this board every day for one month, it might spoil your reputation as a balanced person. Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
camelia wrote:

Septembergirl wrote:
Well, if you publish your food diary on this board every day for one month, it might spoil your reputation as a balanced person.
Wink

Laughing That really would be a diligence carried to extreme excess! I think I would stultify myself and anyone else unfortunate enough to read it!

I'm going to up my biotin, not get stressed and lay off SLS and blowdrying for a while and see if that helps. If you see a post saying "Help I'm now bald" you'll know it hasn't!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |