Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can someone recommend some really scary horror movies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'd like to have some on hand for the upcoming Halloween season! I'd like something really creepy--- not just a generic slasher.

To help give you an idea of what I like, here are some horror movies I LOVED:
The Descent
They (Super creepy--- Wes Craven is a genius!)
The Ring (American Version) (Definitely the scariest movie I've ever seen)
Jeepers Creepers (Maybe one of the scariest movies I've seen. LOVED it!)
Taking Lives
Identity
Candyman
Psycho
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm St
The Grudge (Japanese version)
Magic (Love Anthony Hopkins)

And some movies I don't/did not like:
Anything with zombies
Generic slasher movies
The Shining
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (Not scary or creepy, just gross)
Hellraiser (No real plot, too "artsy")
Silent Hill (I thought it was similar to Hellraiser--- convoluted plot and too "artsy")
The Exorcist
The Grudge, American version (too silly)

So... any recs, horror fans?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, did you like Silence of the Lambs? It's one of my faves... anything with Anthony Hopkins is sure to be good!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Liz, did you like Silence of the Lambs? It's one of my faves... anything with Anthony Hopkins is sure to be good!

Oh ho ho, I LOVE Silence of the Lambs! It's a total classic!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah. The Jodie Foster-Anthony Hopkins chemistry just works so well!! He's so elegantly malicious isn't he! And so completely evil. You just can't sympathize with him.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I recently saw a video called Funny Games. It's not entirely horror but more like a mystery and suspense. I kinda enjoyed it although it's a bit disturbing when I finished.

I also love the Ring too! Did u watch The Ring2 then?

hhm...wat else I saw that scared me? well The Saw and Hostel I watched those too but they're more like gross rather than scary.

I can't seem to think of anything at the moment but I'll sure post again when I think of something! Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:26 am      Reply with quote
The Skeleton Key
The Messengers
The Sixth Sense

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Mr. Brooks w/Kevin Costner.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I work in the movie industry, I would recommend the following:

8 Films to Die For -8 separate titles
Mr. Brooks
Saw series
Hostel

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Ginger Snaps
American Werewolf in Paris
Teeth
The Others
The Strangers
The Orphanage
Sweeney Todd (fave movie ever made)
Fido
28 Weeks Later (one of my fave scariest movies)
Apocalypto(not a horror but it's suspenseful enough!)
Lady Vengeance (subtitled)
Little Children (it's disturbing enough- def a fave!)
Signs (umm, yea that made me almost pee my pants lol)
Pans Labrynth (subtitled and is an adult fairy tale that's pretty suspenseful)
The Host (subtitled monster movie, it was pretty neat)

Well, if you want more suggestions just ask!! Smile You can look up all my movies on movies.yahoo.com to look at the ratings.

manslayerliz wrote:
I'd like to have some on hand for the upcoming Halloween season! I'd like something really creepy--- not just a generic slasher.

To help give you an idea of what I like, here are some horror movies I LOVED:
The Descent
They (Super creepy--- Wes Craven is a genius!)
The Ring (American Version) (Definitely the scariest movie I've ever seen)
Jeepers Creepers (Maybe one of the scariest movies I've seen. LOVED it!)
Taking Lives
Identity
Candyman
Psycho
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm St
The Grudge (Japanese version)
Magic (Love Anthony Hopkins)

Anything with zombies
Generic slasher movies
The Shining
Silent Hill (I thought it was similar to Hellraiser--- convoluted plot and too "artsy")
The Exorcist

So... any recs, horror fans?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Weird thing is im not even a fan of horror movies - used to HATE them - but my best friend had me watch almost every one growing up together.

I can honestly say any horror film from the 70s is your best bet. Chainsaw Massacre - original for sure. TERRIFYING. Friday the 13th One and Two. The original Halloweens too are very scary!!! Evil Dead was creepy - any zombie movie from that time would be a good choice.

Horror movies made today are just goofy and for kids - nothing like they used to be for sure.

Although I loved the Blair Witch - people either love it or hate it. I thought it was spectacular. If your the type of person who gets into the story - than this one will scare you.

Also I agree about the Orphanage. GREAT Story. I dont know if its actually a horror film. Although I screamed 3 times and that was while I had my eyes covered with my hands (i used to use a pillow). But this had subtitles so I had to have some way of viewing the screen. Smile

I can ask my best friend - she would definitely know of any others....
mb935
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
OPPS sorry - i got excited when i read your post and didnt actually read it very well

So ignore the zombie comment and various slasher films i suggested.....
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
The Devil's Backbone (Spanish)
The Vanishing (the original Dutch version, not the dreadful Hollywood remake)
The Orphanage (Spanish)
Wolf Creek (it's really, really unbearably horrible, though - I don't think I could bear to watch it again myself)
Nosferatu
Night of the Demon
Threads (again, unbearably horrible and very realistic, especially considering its age - it's actually a warning against nuclear war)
mominparis

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no one has yet to mention Black Christmas, a good old Canadian standby. The end is exceptional because it leaves you hanging...(ha ha)
LJ604
5% products discount

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Most disgusting movie I have ever seen is the movie *feed*. I am not really sure what genre it fits into...but it is really gross.

I prefer the older horror movies..they are much creepier. Pet Semetary, Ghoulies, Amityville..those are some I like.

My husband jumped in his seat when we went to see *the hills have eyes* a few years back.

If you would like to see one of the stupidest horror movies ever made rent *basket case*.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I'll be naming some Jap ones.

I'm a super horror movie FREAK and I've seen most of them.

All time favs - they are more psychological horror than actual grudge-type horror but:
Strange Circus
Suicide Circle
all time goriest - Ichi the killer

Now if you want the most awesomest recs: www.snowbloodapple.com

Most extensive list and reviews - they are AWESOME reviews though spoilers in the synopsis

I've gone through the list alphabetically and have seen most of them, so gimme a shout if you have any in mind on that list you might be interested in.
Warning though - THEY WILL BE HARD TO FIND, but good luck Smile
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:01 am      Reply with quote
LJ604 wrote:

If you would like to see one of the stupidest horror movies ever made rent *basket case*.

Basket Case is not without its charms. Saw it many many years ago but, as I recall, I did enjoy watching the little imp escape from his basket and wreak bloody havoc Laughing
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:45 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I'll be naming some Jap ones.
Now if you want the most awesomest recs: www.snowbloodapple.com

Thank you so much for your recommendation of "snowbloodapple." Incredible compilation. I've located a few...WELL worth the hunt!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Judging from your list of faves and not so much, I would have to say "The Woman in Black", hands down.
All time creep factor for me and MOST scarey movies do not faze me. This one I had my eyes covered MOST of the movie.
Enjoy (if you can, bahaahhaa)!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Wow! This is an old thread, but great movie suggestions. And perfect with Halloween being right around the corner.

I've seen many of these but will have to Netflix the rest. One movie I didn't see mentioned here that is one of my favorite horror films it 13 Ghosts. It's definitely in my top 10.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I like creepy horror or horror "based on a true story" instead of gory horror

"Rosemary's Baby" by Roman Polanski(a classic!)
"Susperia"
I liked "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake as well

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Anything with zombies
Generic slasher movies
The Shining
The Exorcist

Why didn't you like The Shining?
ashlee
5% products discount

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:02 am      Reply with quote
you should watch saw series. disgustingly scary Sad
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |