Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MMU for pictures?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
So I read over and over again that "Thou shalt not wear mineral foundations for pictures", because they supposedly make you look like a ghost, because of their reflective properties.

But how much truth is actually in this claim? I've been wearing MMU more or less exclusively for the past four years, and have never noticed that I look especially white in pictures.

Are there any brands that are better/worse than others in this respect?

The reason I'm asking is that we're soon to get married in the Caribbean, and the pictures will be taken outdoors. I've decided to do my own makeup, but don't know which fdt. to choose. I FEEL that Bare Minerals and GloMinerals both make me look flawless, but then, if they reflect light... Embarassed Question Do I really have to take the effort of finding a dedicated foundation for this purpose (or use one of the 6-7 conventional fdts I already own...), or can I simply use MMU?

I don't need heavy coverage, and have dryish skin.

Any experiences, other than hearsay?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:09 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard that before. I use Lumiere and any photos I recall of myself that were taken outside, my skin did appear slightly lighter but it never occered to me that it was the MMU. I assumed it was the sun reflecting on my face. The main thing I noticed though is how flawless my skin looked and since I prefer a paler look I will continue to use MMU. Besides I find it is so much better for my skin.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Nemi,

Congratulations with your upcoming wedding!

What about doing a few experiments?

Apply makeup close to the way you would for a wedding, and on a sunny day try to take pictures of yourself (or get a friend to do it) and see the results?

It is time consuming but will give you a definitive answer.

I, personally, like Glominerals a lot. Also, when I interviewed one of the makeup artists for my daughter's wedding among many brands that he used was mineral makeup as well ( I do not recall the name exactly, but something like Lady Bird), so it may be that not all mineral makeups are created equal. You can try to interview a few and ask them which brands they use.

Sorry for not being more helpful!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I have never heard that about MMU and pictures, but it makes sense now. I remember looking back at pictures from a year ago, two years ago and I was wondering why I thought my skin looked pale/blotchy. I remember a couple pictures in particular and my skin was not horrible on this particular event, but when I look at the pictures I have my skin looks all blotchy. I was horrified thinking that maybe I applied my makeup bad that day and no one said anything. But now that you mention that you heard this about pictures and MMU, maybe that was my problem. But two thoughts to my long post here, one I stopped using MMU because although I hear it is suppose to be really good for your skin, I think no matter what brand I used my skin did not like it. It never stayed put, always making my skin more oily (again no matter what brand). The other thing, so people really love MMU, so if you are one of them, it works for you...that is wonderful, but keep in mind that you do not want to try a new makeup before your wedding day, your skin may not like it and you will have reactions, the second thing with MMU, when the oils in your skin mix with the makeup, it looks better. Apply hour, two hours before your wedding,and then if you need a dab to "touch up" right before the halter, you can do that. Blend Blend Blend.

Congrats to you! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
From experience, I can say that BE is to be avoided if taking pictures. I use Alima, and I never look shiny in pictures, although if it's very hot the t-zone will need some touch up translucent powder every few hours.

I'd say it also depends on the moisturizer you use underneath. Even oil-free ones (I'm thinking La Roche Posay) makes me look greasy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard this. I wonder if Mica is the issue. Maybe you could try a mica free MMU. I think there are a few but the only one I can think of right now is cory cosmetics.
jf
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that mica in foundation and eyeshadows look white too. I would do a dress rehearsal with photos to make sure your mkeup will be ok for your big day.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think when they caution you against using "MMU" in photos, they're referring specifically to mica-heavy formulations like the traditional/original BE stuff that looks shimmery/glowy. There are lots of less shimmery shades of MMU now than there were a few years ago, ya know? So I'm guessing this tip is just kinda outdated. But I agree that doing experiments beforehand can't hurt -- you may notice other non-MMU things that you want to modify, too. Congrats and good luck!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I second Alima. Great coverage, natural looking (if the shade is right) and non-reflective.
Saucy
5% products discount

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
The caution against using MMU in pictures generally refers to taking pictures using a flash. It took me ages to realize why my face always looked so white in pictures, but only those taken with a flash - the culprit? Sunscreen. I would use sunscreens with titanium dioxide, a common ingredient in most MMUs, as a base before my foundation (which as an MMU also has titanium dioxide). Titanium dioxide is very reflective, which is why it makes such a great sunscreen. But because it is so reflective, when a flash is used in pictures, the titanium dioxide will reflect that light off of your face into the camera, giving you that ghostly glow. I think the same thing applies to zinc oxide, which is also in most MMUs.

I agree with Sigma about doing experiments and practicing with your makeup and camera. I feel like since your pictures will be outside and without a flash, you should be fine. You should definitely include taking pictures of your practice makeup with a flash if you think a flash is going to be used - just so you can weigh your options more thoroughly. =)

Congrats on the wedding!! Cool
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |