Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do you give away your beauty secrets?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have to admit I quite like having "beauty secrets." I never thought I'd have any for a start, but it's always nice when people comment on how good you look and ask why. (I'm actually writing this with a face mask on...)

My secrets are mostly herbal preparations; I make my own face wash, hair masks and moisturisers. They all work really well.

I don't own a dermaroller, but I can imagine my best friend's reaction if she asks what I've been doing different lately and I reply, "Oh, just rolling my face with a bed of needles!"

Do you keep or spill your secrets? Wink
fitmama
5% products discount

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes... as the things I do aren't mainstream... and quite frankly, it doesn't matter how great I may look.. I know people that can't wrap their minds around anything but a Magic cream... and discount my skin to DNA... Their loss... at the same time, I have friends totally interested in my personal success and trust me to inform them to the best of my knowledge.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think anyone asks me. Laughing Hopefully after I take the advice I'm reading on this forum, I'll be able to answer differently. Laughing
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
When I am asked I do not have problems sharing, and hope to get similar response when I ask for advise myself.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fox!

If you have DIY recipes to share, go to the DIY section here and add your 2 cents!! Many many of us make our own and would love to hear your results!!

Best Wishes!
fawnie

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Hi Fox!

If you have DIY recipes to share, go to the DIY section here and add your 2 cents!! Many many of us make our own and would love to hear your results!!

Best Wishes!
fawnie

Hey Fawnie! I will do that; I have a kick ass face cleanser recipe I could share with you all Wink

I keep thinking about buying the Baby Quasar. Everyone's seemed to stopped posting on the thread now, and only one person has responded to the questionnaire. I've given myself three weeks to stew over it and then decide.

What do you think? EDS gave me a $50 coupon and I don't want to waste it. Decide for me, Fawnie! Laughing
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
If people ask, I happily share my beauty "secrets." Not too much to share these days though---- by and large I attribute my success to staying out of the sun, my Clarisonic, tazorac, and vegetarian diet.

And speaking of secrets and toys, Fox--- I could be mistaken here, but aren't you youngish? If so, I don't think you need to shell out for the BQ, personally. Instead, why not take the plunge and try the Clarisonic? That baby has seriously changed my life!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:05 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:

And speaking of secrets and toys, Fox--- I could be mistaken here, but aren't you youngish? If so, I don't think you need to shell out for the BQ, personally. Instead, why not take the plunge and try the Clarisonic? That baby has seriously changed my life!

Ohh, I am youngish, yes! But I have all these bruises you see, joint inflammation and I scar easily because of a type of collagen deficiency. (That's actually how I found these message board; the deficiency I have is called EDS Razz)
That's what's made me consider the BQ because people rave about how it's helped with all of those problems.

You've intrigued me about the Clarisonic though. *Looks for threads*
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Fox, just so you know, Pretika has significatly cheaper versions of those two devices. I have the pretika brush, a knockoff of the clarisonic. I'm sure it's not exactly like the real thing, but I like it.

Fox wrote:
manslayerliz wrote:

Ohh, I am youngish, yes! But I have all these bruises you see, joint inflammation and I scar easily because of a type of collagen deficiency. (That's actually how I found these message board; the deficiency I have is called EDS Razz)
That's what's made me consider the BQ because people rave about how it's helped with all of those problems.

You've intrigued me about the Clarisonic though. *Looks for threads*

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Id spill because i think its great when other people learn something useful. Too bad no one takes my advice Sad haha.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Whilst I do tell people what I use, I never disclose everything. I dont know why I'm like that, but I can just imagine their expressions when I tell them that that facial cloth is not an ordinary cloth, its a microfibre cloth. And that I have to wait at least 20 minutes before applying my retin-a.
Although my skincare regime is a lot simpler than it used to be, when someone does ask me anything about my regime, I just briefly answer and change the subject Embarassed
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
For me, I don't mind giving away any information or advice to anyone. But I do worry that it's easy to give a lot more than the recipient wants. So, when somebody says, "Wow, you look good! What are you using?" I have to make a judgment about when to launch into a discussion of what Vitamin C, retinoid, LED, etc. etc. I am using and when to say, "Chanel foundation" and leave it at that.

It's a bit like responding to someone who says "How are you?" Sometimes it's appropriate to give an update on one's latest health crises and sometimes a simple "fine" is what's needed.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Fox, just so you know, Pretika has significatly cheaper versions of those two devices. I have the pretika brush, a knockoff of the clarisonic. I'm sure it's not exactly like the real thing, but I like it.

Aah, they're face brushes! I use a face brush - just a handheld one I picked up at the drug store. It isn't fancy but it does the trick. My skin looks so much better when I use it.

All EDS members should own one Wink
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:38 am      Reply with quote
yeahyeah wrote:
I can just imagine their expressions when I tell them that that facial cloth is not an ordinary cloth, its a microfibre cloth.

It is? Embarassed
bondgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I find it is like with anything else: the earlier you start the better the results. Routine in skincare is the key for me. Aromatherapy and herbal preparations are the best really as they work with your skin in harmony. There is nothing wrong with an egg mask on your face no and again Razz
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
Nimue wrote:

Aah, they're face brushes! I use a face brush - just a handheld one I picked up at the drug store. It isn't fancy but it does the trick. My skin looks so much better when I use it.

All EDS members should own one Wink

Absolutely... the face brush rocks!

To answer the initial question, I don't bother telling people anything much as everyone is convinced they know about the skin.

So if I say something like, brush it, handle it a bit more roughly, tug it a bit, they claim I'm totally wrong and this ruins the skin. But these people who are asking me about skin care follow all the so-called rules, I don't, and they want to know why my skin looks nice.

Perhaps people think I'm trying to get them to ruin their faces because I'm mean! Laughing Lou
Saucy
5% products discount

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I don't want to keep my beauty secrets secret, but I've recently learned the hard way that everyone's skin is different and like otherloulou said, everyone thinks they know best (I know I used to think so and maybe still do Wink ). It's awkward and disappointing for me because when I find something great, I want everyone to have a great experience with it, so I hate hearing that they don't. I want everyone to have great skin! I will still, however, comment on a particular product if I feel strongly about it and besides, if we all kept our beauty secrets to ourselves, this forum wouldn't be as great.

On the flip side, I've learned to take other people's beauty "secrets" with a grain of salt. I cannot tell you the number of times I've read that something is someone's HG or miracle and then look back and learn that they've only been using it for a week. Even worse, I'll then learn months later that they only used it for 2 weeks because it didn't do anything. I now only take into account people's opinions who have been using it for a while and continue using it - sadly, this was a hard learned lesson and even harder to stick to because I love the enthusiasm of a new user for a product. Have I mentioned that I'm a sucker?

That said, I totally bought the Baby Quasar as a holiday gift for myself tonight. Embarassed It was an offer I couldn't refuse (said in Godfather voice). Laughing
FitFifty
5% products discount

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Aren't we all suckers?
Most of the inquiries about my "beauty secrets" have to do with my body, and the answers don't seem popular. (Five hours a week in the gym, half spent lifting weights, and a very healthy diet.) Hopefully, some day I'll lose my jowls and saggy neck, and have a secret to share.
Last October, I saw a friend who'd just had eye surgery, and exclaimed in amazement about her outrageously long eyelashes, which had always been hidden behind coke-bottle glasses. She said it was a side effect of her glaucoma meds, and some research put me on the road to Revitalash. I cheerfully passed that favor on to the friend who remarked on my lashes several months later.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:26 am      Reply with quote
I always share! It's stressful when you are having an issue with your appearance and struggling to fix it or when you may not know how. I hate that feeling. I wouldn't wish it on anyone else, so if someone compliments me I offer it up. Wink There are so many beautiful people in the world I can't expect to try and be the prettiest of the prettiest. LOL So why not share? Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Over the years, I have loved sharing beauty secrets, mainly in response to, "What do you put on your skin?" Way back before I reached 50, I was doing the public education for the dermatology association and I used only sunscreen. I remember on one occasion, I had four ladies all chomping at the bit over lunch to find out my "secret" and I was playing them along. When I finally told them it was Coppertone and cost just pennies a day, the disappointment was tangible. No one decided to buy it or apply it. This was a valuable lesson in marketing. Had I said, "It's a very expensive cream made from snake sn*t and wart-hog brains with a touch of an exotic flower found only in SE New Guinea and it costs $400 an ounce," they would all have bolted to buy it. I'm at the end of writing a novel at the moment called Skin Deep. I use a similar story in there for my beauty-obsessed protagonist. I'm still friends with two of those ladies and their skin is quite hyperpigmented. I wonder why... Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I usually have no problem sharing my "secrets". If someone compliments me sincerely, I enjoy sharing.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |