Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Tell me about your favorite makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm pretty new to makeup. I'd love to hear your reviews, but I also have an ulterior motive to starting this thread.

I've posted a little bit about this on the boards before: my teenage years were taken over by illness, and for a long time I was completely bed bound. Unable to move or talk, let alone sit up, I was in pain all the time and completely alone - friends didn't stick around because I was too ill to keep them. I was eleven.

When I was a little better I would see myself in the mirror and not recognise the face looking back at me: pale skin that used to be olive, big black circles around the eyes with blue and green lips. I used to try to wash the blue and green away to look normal again, to try to scrub and scrub the illness away.

Eventually it got to the point where my self esteem was so low and I was so beaten down and wearied by illness, I couldn't look in the mirror anymore. It was too upsetting to see what I'd become. I never thought something like this would happen to me.

Now I'm 21 and while I'm still housebound I'm much better than I was. I still have feelings about being "broken" and "faulty" because of having a broken and faulty body, but I want to begin to get myself back. A new outlook. I want to look in the mirror and start seeing the new emerge: the me who will have a friends over to the house, the me who will walk to the shops and buy books and read them at a cafe. Simple things, but all things I've missed out on.

I'm taking lots of deep breaths as I'm writing this. I've missed out on so much and I hope you won't mind me writing about what's happened. It's too BIG not to!

So... I'm new to makeup, and I though this would be a good place to ask what to buy to create my "new me" look. Lookin' forward to your replies Smile
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Dear you.
It's heartbreaking to hear about your brutal illness and how it has kept you inactive and in pain throughout your childhood and youth.

I believe that what you are doing now; caring about yourself and your looks, is an excellent hobby to have when trying to recover from your illness. I saw in another of your posts that you are dry-brushing your skin and taking herb supplements and green drinks etc. I think that's a great place to start, and it surely will give you a glowing complexion, along with some good topical skin care products like vitamin C serum and retinoids.

Personally, I prefer the natural look with well-groomed eyebrows, some black mascara, a little blush in a natural shade and a beige-pink lip gloss. I think that's all you need, but I am sure other members on this board will give you better makeup advices!

Sending out lots of good vibrations to you over the Internet - with hopes for a bright and healthy future -

All the best to you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! Smile

With all those obstacles you've had, it's fantastic that you have a positive outlook now. The make up that I feel makes the biggest difference when I wear it is concealer. I like the MAC select cover up and the MAC foundation brush 190 makes it look flawless. I'm most insecure about my under eye circles, and with concealer around my eyes it's night and day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fox,

Wow, you're so brave to keep such a positive outlook with everything you've been through.

Makeup is great - but just remember, true beauty comes from within - and it sounds like you have so much inner beauty!

Maybe you could get someone from one of the distributor makeup lines to come by your home and do a makeover? (Mary Kay? Avon?) Their products have gotten better over the years - and it sounds like you could use a little extra color and zing in your life!

Best wishes and good thoughts being sent your way!
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Hello! Thank you for posting - your 'good energy' and postivie outlook are a pleasure to read about!

Your post made me think and consider what my favourite make-up products are - the ones I 'wouldn't want to go without.' I narrowed it down to :

- UGloGirl mineral make-up foundation with Alima #25 brush, and
- Guerlain's Issima Precious Light Smoothing Illuminator.

I don't wear a lot of other make-up (rarely eye shadow, mascara, eye liner etc.) and I haven't come across a sunscreen, blush or lip gloss that has bowled me over. However, the above noted products are utilized every day and each time I marvel at what a difference they make!
Juliemarie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Gee, what a tough start to life! But you have something I would kill for - your whole life ahead of you. Those of us over 50 would love to have all that extra time ahead of us to live Anxious Anxious
I love your attitude
My daily basic is lipstick and perfume. I have my eyelashes dyed to avoid having to apply mascara during the day. other than that I have taken basic regular care of my skin since I was 11. Be consistent from youth and you may not need as much help when you are older IMO.
God bless!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing your story, Fox. I hear in your voice a strength and a determination to define yourself and not let your illness define you. What an amazing person you are!

Your attitude to makeup is a part of that. Some people use makeup to try to hide or erase the person they "really" are, but you are thinking about using makeup as a way to be in control of who you are and how you are seen. Keep that attitude, Fox, it is an inspiration to us all.

I came to makeup late in life, and I enjoy very much *playing* with it--trying out different looks, not to change my essence but to project some aspect of myself. So, keep a playful approach and have fun with it.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I find that the following give me a natural, "enhanced" look for everyday:

1)Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge concealer or Everyday Minerals intense minerals. I dot these onto problem areas like under my eyes and around the nose.

2)Lipgloss or Lipstick. Lately I'm completely in love with the Nivea tinted Passionfruit balm. It's a sheer, plummy shade and smells great. I got mine from Ulta.

3)Mascara! Right now I'm using the Colossal one from Maybelline. It's kind of goopy... I'm going back to their Full 'n' Soft after I use this up.

4)Blush. Right now I'm finishing up a "Coygirl" from MAC.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fox! Welcome and I hope you have fun here!

My favorite secret weapon is Bobbi Brown Corrector/Concealer. It comes in a tiny compact with a peach-colored corrector (which I apply first), a yellow-based concealer (which I pat on over the corrector if needed), and a lemon-colored pressed setting powder. The compact has a mirror for on the go application too.
It's quite moisturizing for the undereye area. I think it feels like a "paste".
A good concealer can make all the difference - that way you don't have to apply a ton of foundation all over the face.

I like Chanel's powder bronzing powder "Sable D'Or". It' a peachy tan pressed powder with a slight sparkle that comes in a compact with a flat brush that you can actually use! Very nice for light complexions, but it's LE.

A spot of a natural colored shadow and some mascara and that's my day look! Depending on your coloring, you can play around with it. Some mineral makeup companies offer tons of samples very reasonably, if you're into MMU. I found it kinda messy, but the prices are great. www.lumierecosmetics.com is a good place to start.

You can also go towww.makeupalley.com and read reviews of products/makeup/etc before you buy, and even swap things you have for what others have.

Have a great time with it!!! Best wishes! fawnie

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Personally, I prefer the natural look with well-groomed eyebrows, some black mascara, a little blush in a natural shade and a beige-pink lip gloss.

Septembergirl, what beige-pink lip gloss do you wear? I love this type of look, as well, and am always searching for that perfect beige-pink shade!

Fox, you have a great attitude. I look forward to hearing all your adventures in this skin/make-up forum!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:
Personally, I prefer the natural look with well-groomed eyebrows, some black mascara, a little blush in a natural shade and a beige-pink lip gloss.

Septembergirl, what beige-pink lip gloss do you wear? I love this type of look, as well, and am always searching for that perfect beige-pink shade!

Hi, rileygirl. Smile
I currently wear LipFusion lip gloss in Bare. I quite like the shade, although the plumping effect is barely visible to the naked eye. I might repurchase this one, but I am always on the hunt for the perfect shade, too, and don't really want the hunt to be over... so I might try another lip gloss next time. Do you have any favorites yourself?

PS. I always return to Dr Hauschka Novum lipstick no 4, which I think is a very nice and very natural sheer brown/beige color with a hint of pink and subtle shimmer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Septembergirl. I have been using Clinique Bamboo Pink, which is pretty nice. I'm still searching for the "perfect" shade! I'll look into the Dr. H #4. That sounds just about perfect!
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you SO much everyone. I have to admit I procrastinated around coming back to this thread because, as I was writing my story, I felt very emotional.

I'm so moved by all your words of encouragement and kindness. It really does mean a lot to me. I nearly cried reading your responses :')

Thank you
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks, Septembergirl. I have been using Clinique Bamboo Pink, which is pretty nice. I'm still searching for the "perfect" shade! I'll look into the Dr. H #4. That sounds just about perfect!

I like the Bobbi Brown Lip Sheer in Bare...my all time favorite neutral with a hint of rosiness!

Fox,

I would definitely recommend that you look at mineral makeup for foundation, and find a great mascara depending on your needs (lengthing, thickening, or both).

Then decide if you want to play up your mouth OR your eyes. I play up my eyes, so I wear more eye makeup, and a neutral lip color.

And hang in there...you are one tough cookie with a great attitude. ((hugs))

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Bethany. I will check out the BB as well then!
lunathefinal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the inputs. By the way, could anyone recommend a good set of make up brushes? Rolling Eyes
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Fox, I realize I didn't answer your specific question. The one makeup line I am most enthused about is Julie Hewett, with much of her line available here at EDS. If you search the forum, you'll find lots of reviews and advice on that line, including some raves by me.

Mineral makeup as foundation is easy to experiment with, especially since many of the companies sell small sample jars very cheaply. I really like it in theory, but much of the year my skin is too dry for it to look right. During the winter I use Chanel Vitalumiere liquid foundation; if you don't have dry skin, though, I wouldn't recommend it.

Other things I have enjoyed playing around with: Bobbi Brown's neutral shimmerwash eyeshadows, Nars eyeshadows, Vincent Longo lipstain lipsticks, Nars Albatross highlighter over the browbone and outer cheekbone area, and Cle de Peau concealer. Also, a good set of make up brushes makes a huge difference in applying makeup.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |