Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
hello to melasma friends!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
clinty
5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanna say hi to the usuals, Bethany, Mariave, Septembergirl,Flannery, etc. How's the melasma going? Well, pleased to say, I have 2 new spots on my forehead( heavy sarcasm). Anyone discover some amazing cure yet???
What's annoying is that I've been off the pill, then again Mariav got it and she mentioned that she was neither pregnant nor on any contraception. Nowadays when I go out, I slap about half a bottle of sunblock, plus hat AND umbrella! I mean don't you just love it when derms so casually say 'don't go out'! HELLO!!!I have errands to run, things to do, outside. Anyway guys, just needed to vent a bit. I go home to South Africa in 2 weeks and the first thing I'm doing is going for a glycolic acid peel.Lets see how that work!
Keep me posted ya'll. Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
clinty wrote:
Just wanna say hi to the usuals, Bethany, Mariave, Septembergirl,Flannery, etc. How's the melasma going? Well, pleased to say, I have 2 new spots on my forehead( heavy sarcasm). Anyone discover some amazing cure yet???
What's annoying is that I've been off the pill, then again Mariav got it and she mentioned that she was neither pregnant nor on any contraception. Nowadays when I go out, I slap about half a bottle of sunblock, plus hat AND umbrella! I mean don't you just love it when derms so casually say 'don't go out'! HELLO!!!I have errands to run, things to do, outside. Anyway guys, just needed to vent a bit. I go home to South Africa in 2 weeks and the first thing I'm doing is going for a glycolic acid peel.Lets see how that work!
Keep me posted ya'll. Smile

I think I am definitely going to do a full round of Obagi Nu-Derm...after reading a Dermatology text book that Dr. Obagi wrote, I am convinced that this really is my best option. He mentioned in the book that it can completely resolve dermal level melasma, so I may as well give it a shot.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Clinty - Hi Bethany...

LOL about the derms and their "avoid the sun"... (Why yes, I'll only do things after the sun goes down.. NOT)

After reading everything on this forum - I'm convinced too that Obagi-NuDerm is the way to go too...

Now I just have to figure out what products I need specifically and get my order in while EDS still has that great promo going!

(Did I mention I LOVE this forum??)
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Yes, - I love that too - avoid the sun. You betcha, doc!!!!!

Since I've been enjoying True Blood so much on HBO, I'm thinking living like a vampire is maybe not such a bad option! Laughing

I'm going to try this new melasma kit from Osmosis - I ordered a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping it gets to me soon. If that fails....maybe I'll look at NuDerm. I just really didn't want to go the Hydroquinine route - been there, done that...

Maria Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Hi Clinty - Hi Bethany...

LOL about the derms and their "avoid the sun"... (Why yes, I'll only do things after the sun goes down.. NOT)

After reading everything on this forum - I'm convinced too that Obagi-NuDerm is the way to go too...

Now I just have to figure out what products I need specifically and get my order in while EDS still has that great promo going!

(Did I mention I LOVE this forum??)

You need ALL the nu derm products (steps 1-5). They all work together. If you mix and match, you will not get the best results and you will more than likely be disappointed. Good luck! Very Happy
clinty
5% products discount

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys! Nice to hear from ya'll. I quit using the fungal cream I bought in Mexico cos I got 2 extra brown spots. I will wait till after I return from Cape Town, where I will have a peel, then decide if I'll go with Obagi or Mama. Great reviews on both of them. Toabunny, I love this site too. Keep us posted Beth and Mariav on trying those products!
travelynn

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have been lurking here for several months, trying to figure out if my Obagi regimen was proceeding as it should, so thank you to everyone who took the time to post their experiences.

I just wanted to say that I began Obagi Nuderm in July for treatment of melasma and acne, both a result of Hashimoto's. I am very impressed with Obagi, because after a mere six weeks my melasma was gone! I even had raised patches inside some of the larger spots, and those disappeared as well. I'm on week 14 of an 18 week regimen, and then I'll begin maintenance. I know that I have to keep using it to keep the melasma at bay, but since it has also cured the terrible cystic acne I developed with my thyroid disease, I am happy to stick with it.

If any of you are thinking about Obagi for melasma, all I can say is that I have had great results, and fairly quickly too. My derm has warned me that five minutes at peak sunlight without protection will cause it to return, so I make sure to use both sunblock products every day.

My melasma started with one patch about a year ago, then developed into multiple patches on both sides of my face, from my temples to my lower jaw. I considered laser treatment, but I read that it often required costly multiple procedures and did not always work. Obagi has worked for me, I can at least recommend it.

Take care
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
You need ALL the nu derm products (steps 1-5). They all work together. If you mix and match, you will not get the best results and you will more than likely be disappointed. Good luck!

Thanks, Rileygirl - I ordered the entire set (luckily while the promo was in effect!) so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the great advice...

Hi Travelynn - your post gives me great hope that this melasma can be helped by Obagi.

And, yes - I've been watching True Blood too... Guess vampires don't have melasma issues??? Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome, taobunny. Good luck!

travelynn, that is wonderful to hear of your good results with Nu Derm. I am so happy for you!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Thanks, Rileygirl - I ordered the entire set (luckily while the promo was in effect!) so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the great advice...

Me too! However, I already have the Clear and the Blender, and have started using those while I wait for the rest of the kit to arrive. I also ordered the Obagi Tolereen from SkincareRX with a 20% discount code (pm me if you need it) since I am 150% certain that I will be plagued with itching, etc. Rolling Eyes

After seeing the Nu-Derm Before & After pics in Dr. O's dermatology text book, I was blown away by the results and decided that I had to go for it. However, due to the sensitivity of my skin, I am working up slowly to the 7 days a week regimen...I am alternating with the ZO products at this point in time.

One of the things I learned in the Obagi text book is that it completely resets you skin....once your 18 week regimen is complete, your skin should no longer be as sensitive, you won't need moisturizers as often, etc. It basically reverses the damage we did to our skin barrier, etc.

BTW, for those that do not want to suffer through the 18 weeks, you can do 6 weeks of Nu-Derm, and then have an Obagi Blue Peel (though you are looking at 1-2 weeks down time with that option). Howver, it can also result in some significant skin tightening...I will definitely do one of those before I resort to a face lift!

I have also found that the Obagi products containing HQ turn my fingernails brown, so I put on a rubber glove BEFORE applying the products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
travelynn wrote:
If any of you are thinking about Obagi for melasma, all I can say is that I have had great results, and fairly quickly too. My derm has warned me that five minutes at peak sunlight without protection will cause it to return, so I make sure to use both sunblock products every day.

This is great news!!! I should have just gone for this option earlier and stuck to it!

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
I used the Obagi Nu-Derm with Retin-A and I guess my melasma is too deep. The strangest thing the other day, though, I used some Sea Breeze on a cotton pad and started scrubbing the area on my cheek and got some brownish looking residue on the pad. Sea Breeze has salicylic (beta hydroxy) acid in it. Wonder if this would help speed the process? I don't think my face was dirty, I had just washed it...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
dpbrown523 wrote:
I used the Obagi Nu-Derm with Retin-A and I guess my melasma is too deep.

Did you use all the products in the Nu Derm system and use them all for 18 weeks, as well as use a really good sunscreen daily? If you did that and you used the correct amount of product, you may have just needed another cycle/longer time on Nu Derm to get the desired result.
travelynn

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again,

Thank you to all for the nice messages, I appreciate it. I read some of the other responses and thought I would include some additional details.

I obtained my full Obagi kit from my derm. I paid $395. I know there are discounts on the web, but my derm convinced me that these are medical grade skin products and they must be maintained at a certain temperature to remain effective. If you order online, you are never sure how the products have been stored or even obtained, as apparently the Obagi company does not condone online sales for the reasons described.

In spite of this, I did reorder the eye cream online, simply to save myself the drive downtown to the derm. All other products, especially the Retin A and Clear, I intend to continue purchasing from my derm, in order to ensure product integrity. At these prices, I want the best quality and I want it to work!

My derm does not use the Obagi Vitamin C, as she feels it is too oily, so the only substitution product I have is the Vitamin C -- I use IS Clinical. Other than that, I followed the full protocal every morning and evening. My derm advised me to continue using the Retin A as much as possible even after 18 weeks, as it builds collagen.

I use the Obagi Sunfader AND the Healthy Skin SPF 35 sunscreens every day. I learned that unless a sunscreen product contains zinc oxide and/or titanium oxide, it is essentially ineffective. That was news to me and my Coppertone using self, lol. I use a Clinique sunscreen on my body now.

Someone mentioned sensitive skin, and believe me, mine is extremely sensitive. My face is just now returning to a semi-normal color after experiencing every shade of red for 14 weeks. People would ask me if I needed to sit down, I guess I looked like I was about to have heart attack, lol. Bottom line, it has taken awhile for the full results, but I feel it is worth it. First two weeks were especially trying, and I really appreciate everyone's support on this board, they helped me through it.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
travelynn wrote:
Someone mentioned sensitive skin, and believe me, mine is extremely sensitive. My face is just now returning to a semi-normal color after experiencing every shade of red for 14 weeks. People would ask me if I needed to sit down, I guess I looked like I was about to have heart attack, lol. Bottom line, it has taken awhile for the full results, but I feel it is worth it. First two weeks were especially trying, and I really appreciate everyone's support on this board, they helped me through it.

I am already peeling like a lizard, even though I am only doing Nu-Derm 3x a week right now (I am working up slowly)...then I tried to put on my non-Nu-Derm products tonight, and my face felt like it was on fire.

I'm not sure I'm tough enough for this. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, you can do it. Everyone who goes on nu derm has some kind of issues (red, burning, flaking, etc). Get your "no pain - no gain" hat on. And, remember, this is really just a short time and it won't last forever. You are tough, lady, you can do it!
clinty
5% products discount

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys. I also want to say thanks for all the info posted. It certainly is helpful. Bethany, how is your face feeling now? It's suppose to peel right? I will decide after my peel, which one to go for Obagi or Mama. They both sound good.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Bethany, you can do it. Everyone who goes on nu derm has some kind of issues (red, burning, flaking, etc). Get your "no pain - no gain" hat on. And, remember, this is really just a short time and it won't last forever. You are tough, lady, you can do it!

Okay...you may have to drag me through it kicking and screaming (in pain), but since I have spent almost a year with no noticeable improvement in my pigmentation, I need to give it a shot. I CAN DO THIS!!! Very Happy

(though I would like to remind you that 18 weeks is 4.5 months...or 126 days. That is a lot of redness, burning and flaking! Shock )

Ok...let's just forget I said that, and go back to my previous statement. I CAN DO THIS!!! Very Happy

5% products discount

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
YES! GO BETHANY!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well, look at it this way, Bethany. You have spent almost 1 year, 12 months, 365 days with no noticeable improvement as opposed to your upcoming 18 weeks, 4.5 months, 126 days before your skin will be beautiful! And, you have endured making yourself a pincushion with the dermaroller!! Laughing

In all seriousness, though, if you want it bad enough, you can do it! Very Happy
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany, you should have lesser side effects overall with the Obagi regime because your skin is already primed with retin-A.

Good luck!!!!!
travelynn

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany,

I'm not sure what your previous experiences were, but it sounds like the pain and peeling are really difficult for you. They were for me too, that's why I sought out this forum and tried to figure out if that much pain, blistering and redness was normal. After reading many responses here at EDS, I know that it is!

I felt like I had third degree burns on my face, and the last thing I wanted to do was put retin A on my face at night, knowing how awful it would look and feel the next morning. I actually had gum surgery just as I started Obagi, and I scarcely remember any pain from the surgery, as the pain was all concentrated on my blistered face.

HOWEVER, IT DOES GET BETTER, honest! Go for it, hang in there, apply the full protocol every day and night, and judging from most responses, the very worst of it will be over in about two weeks. You may notice the melasma fading and your skin becoming smoother by that point, and it's only the beginnning.

That's what happened for me. I can finally see that subtle glow that I was hoping for immediately. I know it is so difficult to understand how all that burning, peeling, redness and pain can possibly be good for your skin, but these docs know what they are talking about. Come here for support whenever you need it, I can tell you that it certainly helped me hang in there. You can do it!
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:01 am      Reply with quote
is obagi nu derm hydroquinone based?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Coconut. Nu Derm is a system using Hydroquinone and Retin A.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:17 am      Reply with quote
BTW, for those that do not want to suffer through the 18 weeks, you can do 6 weeks of Nu-Derm, and then have an Obagi Blue Peel (though you are looking at 1-2 weeks down time with that option). Howver, it can also result in some significant skin tightening...I will definitely do one of those before I resort to a face lift! >

Has anyone taken this route..do I need to find a doctor to give me the blue peel??
I tried Obagi a few yrs ago but was very half hearted about it and I was not religious in using it therefore I did not see great results.
My hyperpigmentation isin't terrible but I don't want it to get worse...I live in south florida and can't avoid the sun..YIKES....
I currently use retin-a and 4% Hydroquinone (I get it when I am in Canada)
Lucie
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |