Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Flu - suggestions please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Yesterday I thought I just woke up with a bad cold. Come to find out I have all the symptoms of the Flu: head congestion, cough, sore throat, headache, muscle ache, fever. I feel awful. :-& Right now I am taking NightQuil/Dayquil.

Saturday I have my niece's wedding. Do any of you have any suggestion to fight the flu and lessen the symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
existential lady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Knock on wood I haven't been sick this season yet. Last year was really bad and to my surprise I discovered the Umcka line. It really helped more than anything, taken the sooner the better.
At that time I only saw it in Seattle (my home base is Chicago), but this flu season it can be found all over, so maybe more people found that it worked. I recommend trying it and hope you feel well enough to go to the wedding. Let's hear how you do.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
once the flu has developed it is very hard to suppress, i could only praise the effects of high dosing on vitamin C, but only the non synthetic type. i was taking around 5,000mg to 7,000mg of vitamin c for a fever and the most debilitating symptoms were suppressed overnight.

if you have access to quality oregano oil, i highly recommend it too, good for clearing the nasal passages.
havana8

Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
...plus a hot bath, lots of sleep and the avoidance of alcohol, sugar or coffee seems to help me whenever I've gotten sick.

I hope you will be feeling better soon, Winnie!
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Nyquil is good during the night but it is loaded with aspirin. During the day I would drink honey and lemon tea. Honey is absolutely amazing since it is a natural antihistamine. It is wonderful for colds and allergies and it really revs up your immune system. Here is what I do I boil 2 tea bags in approx 5 cups water until the tea is very dark then I pour some in a cup and I add fresh lemon, quality honey (not from wal-mart)from a health food store and echenechia(sorry about the spelling). Drink several cups of this during a day! Hope you feel better soon!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 am      Reply with quote
Winnie, sorry to hear you're not feeling good. My arsenals for the flu are: hot green tea with lots of honey and tons of lemon, oil of oregano cervacrol Ex (highest factor of cervacrol I could ever find), and tons of Vit C (at least 3 g per day). If I catch the symptoms early enough, all symptoms are gone within 24 hours when I take the above (sometimes just Oil of Oregano would do, but if the feeling is rather bad, then the hot green tea and vit C will have to help out). If I was busy and didn't take care of taking these things right away such that the symptoms got bad, then it would take a total of 2 full days before I feel all better. If you don't have the Oil of Oregano on hand (got mine from bio-alternatives, so I realize this is not something you can just run to the store and get), then I'd say just take lots of hot green tea with honey and lemon. Once I got an itchy ear and knew something was coming on, I started drinking hot green tea one right after another. After 3 cups in one morning, the itchy ear feeling was gone by early afternoon, and I didn't get a cold or flu.

Hope you feel better soon. Lots of rest when you can.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:57 am      Reply with quote
I don't think anything will get rid of the flu other than bed rest and fluids. And I think the bed rest is essential.
I had a dose of the flu about 6 years ago and vowed I never wanted to feel that sick again. Since then I have always had the flu vaccine and have never had the flu since.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:40 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
I don't think anything will get rid of the flu other than bed rest and fluids. And I think the bed rest is essential.
I had a dose of the flu about 6 years ago and vowed I never wanted to feel that sick again. Since then I have always had the flu vaccine and have never had the flu since.

I had the flu in 2000. Like you, I was so sick that I have never missed a flu shot since. Unfortunately many people here in the US are getting the flu even though they had the shot. Yes I feel sick but not near as bad as in 2000 (thought I would die). My doctor said if I did not have the shot the symptoms would be much worse.

Yesterday I loaded myself with green tea and honey. My sister picked me up loose tea. Thanks for the Vit. C reminder miranets. My DH went to the pharmacy to see if he could find Umcka ...no luck.

Today I feel a tad better but doubt very much I will be able to go to the wedding. Certainly I would not enjoy myself. Lord knows I don't want anyone to get sick.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I, too had the flu just last week which lasted a full 6 days. For me NyQuil, tylenol, etc. only eased the symptoms but I still wasn't well enough or strong enough to venture very far from my bed. I know it's difficult, but rest is the best medicine. It just takes time to work it's way through your system.

Hope you feel better soon.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie

When I don't feel well, and if I feel like drinking it, I make myself a mug of hot water and add 1 T. honey, 1 T. fresh lemon juice, and 1 T. apple cider vinegar (important: the vinegar has to be apple cider, and I keep a bottle of Braggs Raw Organic ACV around for this purpose). Depending upon whether your flu has stomach involvement this tonic may or may not be appealing or helpful to you.

I hope you feel better and that your flu turns out to be of the 24-hour variety, and that you are able to fully enjoy your niece's very special day!

Hugs
Cathy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I just had the flu. Vomited at work for two days then finally took a sick day, went back to work and vomited all day and then went to bed with a high fever and woke up feeling great! Four days of yuck. Not as bad as it has been in the past. I always feel better faster if I stay really active but sometimes it feels really good to just lay in bed and groan.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes. I did not get to go to my niece's wedding. Today I feel much like myself. A bit of a cough is lingering but that's it Smile . I feel fortunate the flu only lasted three days. My doctor told me to take it easy. Apparently secondary infections can set in while run down. I am still drinking my green tea and honey.

brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely listen to your dr. on the taking it easy part, even if you are feeling better. My teenage son and I both experienced 2-3 days of feeling better and then were hit with the fever, aches, headache worse than we had originally. I have never seen a bug flare up like that again but our dr. said that he has seen it happen many times this season with this "unprotected" strain that so many of us picked up. (we too had the flu vaccine and were grateful for any benefits it provided). This was my first experience with the "real" flu (the vomiting/GI thing is not influenza)and I realize how very important that vaccine is!!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Extra Fort

For sore throat: gargle with warm water + 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp sea salt ( I normally use more than that)

To disinfect the whole house ( so that others wont get sick) I walk around the house with a pot of boiling water and vinegar. One Vietnamese woman taught me this trick and I do it all the time.

Cool
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Oh those are some good ones I haven't tried yet RussianSunshine....to prevent the flu in the first place, I'm going to sound like a broken record but :
GET ON THE EPICOR, GUYS!!! It works!!!! Available @iHerb.com and they do ship internationally. It is an oral supplement that comes in capsule form that you take once a day every day of the year - revvs up your immune system to prevent the nasties...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
to prevent the flu in the first place, I'm going to sound like a broken record but :
GET ON THE EPICOR, GUYS!!! It works!!!! Available @iHerb.com and they do ship internationally. It is an oral supplement that comes in capsule form that you take once a day every day of the year - revvs up your immune system to prevent the nasties...

I have never heard of this....I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Popped in to check on Bethany's cat and now Winnie is sick!
Glad you are getting better. If you catch it in the very beginnings Tamiflu is great for having on hand as it will shorten the flu life and make the symptoms less severe.
Sounds like you passed that now, but OJ, Nyquil and zinc lozenges always help me through. Once you have gotten it and haven't got the Tamiflu, no choice but to ride it out.
Went on a family ski trip once, hubby came down with the flu the day we left on the way up and by the end of the five days, we all had it one by one, all ten. And then we drove the 10 hours back home, achy and feverish. Since then we never go on one unless we've ALL had the flu shot!
Glad you're getting better Winnie. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing you need is water, hot water. At least 8 big glasses of water are needed now for you.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:55 am      Reply with quote
leileieve wrote:
The only thing you need is water, hot water. At least 8 big glasses of water are needed now for you.

And with all that hot water, you can take a nice relaxing bath!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Sending you warm and cozy vibes for a fast recovery.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Am I missing something? It looks like Winnie was ill back in April! Smile

I am sure she appreciates the good wishes though!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |