Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Way to restore hair??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I got about 7 inches cut off my hair a few months ago, because it was really damaged, and already it seems damaged again, since I highlight it, and I also flat iron and blow dry it mostly every day.
Is there any thing I can use to restore a healthier look and feel to my hair?
I sometimes put jojoba/rosemary oil in it at night, and sleep with it in, but the next day I don't notice much improvement.
Any one have any great hair mask ideas?
Thanks!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Lanza hair repair is fab, but tbh, unless you stop ironing etc it won't make that much difference Confused

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, unfortunately not blow-drying your hair and not ironing it will be your best bet.

I have also read, however, that massaging your scalp increases the blood flow which is supposed to promote hair growth. I know you mentioned you didn't necessarily need growth, but the new hair growth will be healthy if you stop the blow-drying and ironing. Another plus to the scalp massaging - its stress-relieving Laughing

Another thing to try might be Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment by Burt's Bees. I had a small sampler size that I used and I thought it worked well.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
unrefined extra virgin coconut oil makes an awesome hair mask and leaves hair super soft. i just heat it up a little (it's solid when it's a bit cool here) and slather it on all over and put a plastic cap on. i sometimes sleep with it. it's also pretty cheap compared to hair treatments out on the market too. i ordered a gallon from mountain rose herbs a few months ago.

Kristen~

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
hi amylola,

try the phytospecific line of products... they are targeted toward repairing dry, brittle hair... just tried the illipe butter and barley shampoo, and i really liked it!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks everyone for all the great ideas - I have the coconut oil, and do use that sometimes over night, and I also use the phytodefrisant stuff from phyto. Unfortunately if I do not blow dry or flat iron, my hair looks like SH*T!! So I don't know how to stop.
I think the worst part is the combo of the highlights + flat iron. It really fries my hair.
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
i forgot where i read it, but there's a video of a model recommending using avocado oil to soak the hair for a day.

Arrow video
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 am      Reply with quote
Amylola,

These products are a completely different line from phyto, actually they were formulated for black hair:

http://www.phytospecific.com/phyto_usa.html

Also, maybe you want to go to a salon and have them put a restructuring treatment on your hair? I went to a redken salon recently to have my hair chelated (not legal to buy chelating shampoos in France!), and then they did some sort of "chemistry" treatment to my hair, which somehow immediately made it very strong and heavy, from literally almost breaking off and being light and frizzy and dull... It was not expensive, either.

Also, aren't there products you can use to prevent some damage from happening with your heat/styling products? Like a barrier product or one in which the ingredients are activated by heat?

I haven't tried avocado oil, but I've done the coconut and it never seems to make that much of a difference. I heard a mayonnaise hair mask is super for really dry hair.

also, you may wanted to get your hair 'analyzed' to see if it is porous, etc.--we sometimes are completely in the dark about what our hair needs to 'bounce back.'

--amylola

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:43 am      Reply with quote
avocado oil is supposed to be very good, but coconut did zip for me. Just made it feel crispy Confused

Avalange that treatment sounds really good what is it exactly? I'm quite cuffed though because I went to the hairdressers on monday for the first time in YEARS and he said my hair was in incredible condition and to carry on as I was. Not bad for chemically coloured waist length hair on an old head Very Happy

Mind you I've only used irons on it about 3 times and seldom blow dry any more. I can see the dilemma if your hair is so fried you HAVE to keep doing it to look halfway decent. Could you take a pixie cut Amylola?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:22 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
avocado oil is supposed to be very good, but coconut did zip for me. Just made it feel crispy Confused

Avalange that treatment sounds really good what is it exactly? I'm quite cuffed though because I went to the hairdressers on monday for the first time in YEARS and he said my hair was in incredible condition and to carry on as I was. Not bad for chemically coloured waist length hair on an old head Very Happy

Mind you I've only used irons on it about 3 times and seldom blow dry any more. I can see the dilemma if your hair is so fried you HAVE to keep doing it to look halfway decent. Could you take a pixie cut Amylola?

Hi guapa,

I'm not sure! You can do a search, and here's the link, but it only comes up in French for me Sad
http://www.redken.fr/services/chemistry/index.htm

The cute hairdresser asked me sweetly if i wanted to do some "chemistry," and I said, sure, why not? I didn't really ask what it was for or which "shots" they mixed up in my chemistry cocktail. My hair was like super-hair for about a month, until the hard water got at it again... I might go back!

--avalange

amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I wish I could find a place that did something like that - Ill have to look around.
My hair is not THAT bad, if I put a ton of Biosilk in it, then it feels OK. I think I have just gotten so used to flat ironing it, that now when I don't do it I don't like the way my hair looks. Not as soft & sleek.
I will try the avocado, and maybe even the mayonnaise. I'll also look into that phytospecific line - I think they carry it at amirahg. Thanks for all the help!
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi amylola,

I used to have the same exact problem that you have. I highlight my hair frequently and must blow dry and flat iron for it to look good. Does your stylist use bleach in your highlights? For awhile mine was and when I figured it out and asked him stop and use only color my hair started to gradually get better. Of course color is still bad for your hair, but not as bad a bleach. I also have a much more natural looking color now.

Another thing that I have done is to only wash and style it every other day. One the second day I use a bit of baby powder at my roots to get rid of any oil and then use large velcro rollers to re-straighten and add body. Sometimes I'll use the hair dryer on a low setting with a big round brush if my hair has become wavy over night.

Finally, I use Biolage Ultra-hydrating balm every time I wash my hair. For hair that has normal damage you aren't supposed to use it as frequently, but I use every time I wash my hair in place of conditioner. I leave it on while I shave my legs and finish washing up in the shower.

Good luck!!
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Snow White, thanks for your advice, is the biolage balm stuff for sale at a place like Target? I will def. check it out.
I will also ask my stylist about the bleach - I honestly have no idea what she uses!
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
amylola wrote:
Snow White, thanks for your advice, is the biolage balm stuff for sale at a place like Target? I will def. check it out.
I will also ask my stylist about the bleach - I honestly have no idea what she uses!

Yes, I think that Biolage is available at Target in the section where they keep their salon quality brands. Good luck!
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:40 am      Reply with quote
amylola wrote:
I wish I could find a place that did something like that - Ill have to look around.
My hair is not THAT bad, if I put a ton of Biosilk in it, then it feels OK. I think I have just gotten so used to flat ironing it, that now when I don't do it I don't like the way my hair looks. Not as soft & sleek.
I will try the avocado, and maybe even the mayonnaise. I'll also look into that phytospecific line - I think they carry it at amirahg. Thanks for all the help!

You should really try avoiding the heat styling! This is what I do-- if I don't have time to air dry and I MUST use the dryer, I blow dry with an ceramic ionic blowdryer (the revlon one is good) for a short while and then the rest on a cool setting. When hair is nearly dry but still a bit moist, I use big velcro rollers. You can get these at any Walmart or Target. I don't have a lot of hair so this doesn't take long. I leave these in for 10-20 minutes while I do other stuff like put on make-up, brush teeth, or eat breakfast. When I pull off the rollers, my hair has tons of volume, it's shiny and smooth. I usually don't need to do any more styling at that point. I might use a big curler on the lowest setting to adjust a lock of hair or something, but besides that, nothing.

I also leave in a mix of coconut oil, olive oil, and SKB for 15-20 min before I shower and it leaves my hair glossy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Best product on the planet (for me, anyways) is OJON Restorative hair treatment. It is a solid that you scoop and warm is your hand, then apply and comb through your hair. You can leave it on as long as you like (at least 15 minutes), and putting on a shower cap will help it penetrate deeper.
This product is available on the Canadian Shopping Channel, as well as Sephora...I am sure it is also on the American & British shopping channels too. Very Happy
amylola
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I have been dying to try the Ojon stuff, Its just so expensive!
SnowWhite, I got some of the Biolage Hydrating Balm, and you are right, it is great, Ive used it for 2 days now and my hair is much softer and healthier looking.
I also have been putting this Rosemary & Jojoba Hair Oil from Wild Sage Botanicals in my hair every night at bedtime and sleeping with it, then washing it out in the morning, it really seems to help.
marygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I also had very damaged hair and highlight as well. I started using Cholesterol (been around forever) again - that and taking extra Biotin has really helped my hair grow like crazy and is much healthier and I blow dry every day. I use the Cholesterol almost daily and it makes my hair easier to style also. Razz
SnowWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
amylola-

Yay!! I am so happy it worked for you too! Where is Wild Sage Botanicals sold? I would like to try since I am getting my hair highlighted again tomorrow.
thestepfordwife
5% products discount

Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
I am in the same boat when it comes to how my hair looks if I don't at least blow it dry with a paddle brush...if I am going to any social event I really need to iron it too. I love the Ojon treatment and slather it on, put on a plastic cap and bandanna and sleep on it...then shower with the cap on (steam seems to help it penetrate) and then shampoo with the Ojon shampoo last thing before I get out of the shower.
I have also made my own overnight treatment which seems to work just as well by mixing shea butter, olive, jojoba, brazil nut, babassu, camilla and watermelon seed oils which I scented with some lavender eo. I have found that the watermelon seed oil is light enough to use on my ends pre-blow dry to keep them from drying out without weighting down my hair. I mix it with distilled water in a spray bottle and just shake it well to mix right before I spray it on. I also use the Ojon revitalizing mist sometimes before heat styling...but the watermelon seed oil works pretty good too and is a heck of a lot more cost effective! Laughing
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Rilae wrote:

Another thing to try might be Avocado Butter Pre-Shampoo Hair Treatment by Burt's Bees. I had a small sampler size that I used and I thought it worked well.

I second that - I could see the difference after one use.
Sakana
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 am      Reply with quote
A mixture of extra virgin olive oil with honey (the thick difficult to spread kind) is helpful if you could keep it on for at least an hour. Also, i think if your hair is so fried, you might want to try building protein with an egg mask.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Hey Amylola, I have very dry hair - not from heat treatments and processing, it's just naturally dry so I have to treat it as if it WERE chemically and heat damaged.

I use 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of raw, unrefined coconut oil and honey and apply gobs of it to DRY hair. Massage it in, comb it through, then apply a terry cloth turban and leave it in all night. I place a towel on my pillowcase to prevent drips, then shampoo gently the next day. Hair is unbelievably soft afterwards!

Occassionally I'll mix up a batch of home-made mayonnaise using avocado and grapeseed oil as a base; that really gives it a boost as well.

Umm, I have to concur that the daily ironing is not doing any favors for your hair, no matter what kind of treatments you use, but aren't there any kind of heat-activated thermal serums you could apply before you iron it?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 am      Reply with quote
the best ways is to restore the lustre and shine to your hair is using coconut oil. What you do is go to a sauna. stay there approx. 30 minutes with coconut oil on your hair. the oil will be absorbed by your hair instantly. then using a good shampoo, and perhaps a good hair conditioner, your hair will improve. But not overnight! Takes some time of course, not to use, hot iron curlers, because this tend to dry your hair....

Cheers.

amylola wrote:
I got about 7 inches cut off my hair a few months ago, because it was really damaged, and already it seems damaged again, since I highlight it, and I also flat iron and blow dry it mostly every day.
Is there any thing I can use to restore a healthier look and feel to my hair?
I sometimes put jojoba/rosemary oil in it at night, and sleep with it in, but the next day I don't notice much improvement.
Any one have any great hair mask ideas?
Thanks!
Cadia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Mustard oil is also supposed to be excellent for hair.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |