Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Is it safe to take vitamin supplements ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sats
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everybody,

I am newbie to this forum.And this newbie is a 26 yr old Ph.D student from chicago.I have 12 hr workdays and as you can imagine,skin care was never my priority.Until now that is!It suddenly struck me,one morning when I was looking into the mirror,that my skin is not the same anymore and my face is not what it used to look like.dang it!I am becoming old!!SadI can't maybe go back to those good old days but I would atleast like to pause further damage.So,here I am to learn about skin care and such.I hope you veterans would impart a little bit of your knowledge and help me.

Since,good skin essentially needs a healthy body underneath,I would like to start my long list of queries (Smile) with vitamin supplements.If you do take,it'd be helpful if you can give me a few details.
1)Is it ok to take them?
2)Do you just take a multivitamins pill or individual pills for various viamins?
I came across an article .To quote "Also, high doses of single nutrients may be harmful. Large amounts of beta-carotene supplements have been shown to increase the risk for lung cancer in male smokers). High doses of one nutrient could possibly offset the health benefits of another nutrient. Moreover, supplements do not contain fiber."What is your thought on this?

Thanks a lot for your time.I appreciate your help.Pls include me in your prayers to "skin god " to let collagens stay supple and nice always !!.:P Smile
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sats and welcome, I'm sure you'll get great feedback here which I, too, will watch for because that's something I've been wondering too. One thing I can suggest that was the first suggestion made over and over to me when I first arrived, DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! It was the beginning of my new skin care regime and I know that its good for the rest of my body, not just my skin. You're smart to start young (and trust me, 26 is young!), I wish I had but I think there are amazing new products out these days that can really help. So good luck! Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the Board!
Though internal supplements are important, UV light (besides genetics) probably plays the biggest part in aging skin over any other single factor. So, get a good sunscreen and use it on a daily basis. A good stable one is Coppertone Faces Oil-Free spf 30. UV light, pollution, smoke, and stress all prompt creation of free radicals, unstable molecules that are anxious to "hook up" to become stable. Most do - with your collagen layer. Thus the wrinkly, crepey, papery look of the sun god and goddess of your dorm. Antioxidants work as "quenchers" of these free radicals - specifically Vitamin C has been tried and tested. So adding a C serum to your routine will help to repair collagen damage (it is necessary for collagen synthesis) and prevent future damage from environmental assaults! Smile
Finally, Rx meds: Retin-A (tretinoin) has been around for 30 years or so now. It is the hands-down winner for erasing fine wrinkling, thickening your dermis, and actually reversing sun damage. It does take a good six months to really show results and you have to continue to use to maintain results. These are all daily use products. You could also think about weekly use of a glycolic acid product to help remove dead skin cells at the surface level.

Feeling overwhelmed yet? Smile
Next - water, water, water. Hydration is important for plumping the skin and removing toxins. NO smoking. (Harder for some than others.) Moderate alcohol intake.

Internal vitamin supplements: C and E are supposed to work very well in conjunction with each other. But to actually affect the skin, would have to be taken in such high doses...much easier to apply topically to achieve high concentrations in the skin.

....That's probably enough to choke on about now...I'm sure others will chime in with info on moisturizers and cleansers....
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:49 am      Reply with quote
You are right about the beta carotine danger to smokers, you should also be aware that vitamin A generally has been found to be harmful in even moderate doses and as the body needs so little of it, it is better to avoid supplements with high doses (ie containing the RDA) as most people get enough from their diet. On the subject of skin supps, I would recommend EPO. If you do a search you will find a very illuminating thread on the benefits of this wonderful supplement!
Liz Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Hello Sats,

I am 50 yrs. old and have been taking vitamins since I was in my very early twenties when I read my first nutritional book written by Adele Davis. I have always taken more vitamins than recommended by the FDA because I felt that for myself I was always too busy and too on-the-go to be able to eat a balanced diet. I don't really follow "studies" because they all contradict one another and the study done with beta carotene was very misleading since one needs a beta carotene supplement with "mixed corotenoids" and not just "beta" - no wonder the study was flawed. I'm very suspicious about the "controls" used in studies. So many factors play into a study including who sponsors it in the first place. My opionion differs from the ones above because I feel it is very difficult to get enough Vitamin A & D in the diet. One can manufacture these vitamins from the sun, but then we all wear sunblocks so that takes care of that.

The only thing that I can say is this: Since about your age I have taken a very high amount of Vitamin C, Beta Crotene, Vitamin E, etc. and many other vitamins as well because it's just a personal thing with me - that I believe in vitamin supplementation and its correlation with good skin and good health and good aging etc.

I've just had my annual check-up and my blood pressure is perfect, cholesterol as low as it can be, hormones in top shape. My doctor told me to keep doing what I'm doing. Yes, he knows I take vitamins and is certainly not against them.

The decision to take vitamins is a personal one. I have been taking vitamins all of these years because I feel it has really helped me or else I wouldn't bother spending the money. However, ultimately, the choice is yours.

Hope this helps you a little.
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:31 am      Reply with quote
remember there are lipid soluble vitamins and liquid soluble vitamins.

vitamin c is liquid soluble...meaning if you have an excess you'll just pee it out

vitamin a (the oil kind) is lipid soluble meaning that you will store it in your fat.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |