Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Moroccan Oil - hype or worth it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
The sales person at my local beauty supply store was raving about Moroccan Oil. He said it's all the rage now. It's supposed to be very good for dry, damaged hair. It seemed pretty good when I tried it on dry hair. I was wondering if anyone here has tried this for a while. If so, what do you think?
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:31 am      Reply with quote
hmmmm, I've never heard of it. Is it a stand alone product called Moroccan oil or is it an ingredient within other products called something else?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:35 am      Reply with quote
It's probably argan oil. You can purchase pure argan oil from places like garden of wisdom.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Kiehls also has a version of Argan Oil....it is called "Dry Touch Oil." It is a mixture of oils, but the primary ingredient is Argan Oil from Morocco. A little goes a long way and it has a nice, organic scent. I was mixing a bit of it with Emu Oil and applying it to my face, but a major breakout ensued. Now I just use it as a body oil.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
The brand is actually called Moroccan Oil. I was specifically referring to the dry oil, but they have some styling creams, too. Amazon.com had some really great reviews on it. One said something about the oil taking care of her split ends once and for all (?). The older I get, the drier my hair has become and I just want to get some relief without resorting to a lot of silicones and the buildup that comes with it. This dry oil isn't supposed to leave buildup and has no alcohol, although I haven't checked out the ingredients to confirm.

I think I'll buy some from ebay (regular retail is $38.99) and will report it here.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that the oil is supposed to make hair soft and smooth, also. I've tried natural oils and silicones, but I'm not totally satisfied so I'm looking for alternatives. I was hoping somewhere here had tried it before I buy.
kismet

Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I really enjoy this product. It was recommended to me by hair stylist. I have dry, color-processed, thin hair, and putting it on instantly adds shine, elasticity, and silkiness that I never thought could be achieved with my hair. It also minimizes my frizz.

It does not leave my hair oily or sticky, nor does it weigh it down. I am especially thankful for that last property since my hair is already thin. I do not feel any build up on my hair either. It is alcohol free and despite the pricey tag on the bottle, a little goes a long way. I use a dime to nickel size amount on my hair that rests mid-back.

Reviews suggest it works well on all hair types.

Bottom line: I definitely recommend this product.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
My stylist that has thirty year experience says it is truly worth the price, but of course she is selling it. I did watch her style several people with highlighted hair that looked very damaged before the styling and afterwards looked fabulous. All three of these women were new clients that had gotten damage from a previous stylist and were desperate for some help. The oil also makes the hair dry much faster. This has been used widely in certain areas of the US for several years. It is just now coming to my hometown in the sticks Laughing
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Never heard about it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very interested in trying this. It says you can put it on the hair before colouring.

Kismet, if you have a bottle, could you tell me what the ingredients are. I had a look on the website but it doesn't list them. I do already use Argan Oil on my face. I wonder if this is the main ingredient? Could you let me know. TIA
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Any update on the Morrocanoil ingredients?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:46 am      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
Any update on the Morrocanoil ingredients?

I emailed the company and asked them for the ingredients but didn't receive a reply. Anyway, I've ordered some from Ebay because I want to try putting it on my hair before I bleach it. When it arrives I'll let you know if the ingredients are listed on the bottle.
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Definitely worth the cost - I love this product. My hair is thick but baby fine & is in an ear length short bob. It's coloured, hi-lighted, flat ironed & blow dried (tres natural Embarassed ). Drying time is somehow drastically reduced when I use the oil. I use a very small amount (1/3" diameter) rub my hands as if putting on hand lotion & then drag my hair between my fingers for a bit. I just spread on top what's left on my palms on the rest of my hair. The website lists the main ingredients - you may need to cut & paste
http://www.moroccanoil.com/About.htm
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote
This product, IMO, should be called liquid gold. It does not weigh your hair down, gives a shine and softness that I have never received from any product. I wash my hair on Sundays and do conditioner only on my hair Monday thru Saturday. This product does not build up. I use about a quarter size on my semi short hair that is very thick and course. I absolutely love this product and would recommend everyone give it a try. I give it 10 stars.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using this product for two weeks and am very pleased. It smells very nice and doesn't weigh my fine(but thick) hair down. I have had a perm from HELL Laughing and don't know what I would do without the addition of this product for help correct the damage, or at least make it look and feel less damaged. What we do in the name of vanity Rolling Eyes
Toby
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Here's the ingredient list (thankyou Sark):

Ingredients in MoroccanOil:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl, MethylPropional, Argania Spinoza Kernal Oil (Aragan Oil), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Fragrance Supplement, D&C Yellow-11, D&C Red-17, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone

As I said in another post, I'm not going to worry about the 'cones - my hair is bleached to within an inch of its life so I don't think the 'cones are going to do any more harm! Just wish it would hurry up and arrive!
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I used pure argan oil as a leave-in and it is amazing. I haven't had such a good hair day for years. I have fine hair, prone to frizz and it certainly didn't weigh it down.
I am very happy.
Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:26 am      Reply with quote
The Moroccan Oil arrived - so far I've only used it three times but I have to say that I'm very happy with it. Over the last few weeks I've bought a number of hair serums that all claim to add shine to the hair, but none of them have done much for my bleached, dry locks. The Moroccan Oil, however, has made a visible difference - my hair doesn't look so parched, but it doesn't leave the hair oily either. This is definitely a winner.
cathy_jean
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I do agree that Moroccan Oil is pricey but I love it and I'm on my third bottle. Not only do I use it on my hair everyday, but I also use it on my hands (overtop of moisturizer) and it has helped keep them in great condition so far this winter. Also, it smells lovely!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
My opinion is that this is another emollient ingredient for skin which is good if you need it. Meaning if you have an oily skin, no oil would be good for it. If you have dry skin, it would be a good moisturizer; I'm not certain if it has any antioxidant quality to it though.
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear some have good experiences with Moroccan Oil. As for me, it doesn't do much. Sad My hair is coarse and thick. I actually think this stuff gets my hair frizzier. I just don't think it's heavy enough. For its price, I'd stick with my Redken Smooth Down products and a bit of jojoba oil.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone advise of ingredients of Moroccan oil? I don't believe there is such a thing by this name...
Blaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Can anyone advise of ingredients of Moroccan oil? I don't believe there is such a thing by this name...

The brand is Moroccan Oil. Keliu posted the ingredients above.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Here is what i found:

The Tiout cooperative produces about 5,000 250-milliliter bottles of the edible oil a year. 250 ml of oil sells for as much as $30 a bottle. The oil can be purchased at the Cooperative in Tiout but the neighbouring city of Agadir sells the oil for a fair price as well.

[edit] Press-extraction

Now increasingly important for oil produced for sale, as the oil will keep 12-18 months and extraction is much faster. Using mechanical presses, mixing of the dough and water is unnecessary and the dough can be directly pressed. All other steps remaining unchanged, the oil is obtained in about 43% yield (calculated from the kernels) and only two hours are needed to get one litre of oil that preserves correctly.

[edit] Solvent-extraction

For industrial or laboratory purposes, argan oil can be extracted from ground kernels using any volatile lipophilic solvent. After evaporation of this latter, and one or two cycles of extraction, the oil is obtained in 50 to 55% yield. This type of extraction furnishes an oil with unsatisfactory organoleptic properties compared to the traditional or press extraction, which is exclusively reserved to prepare argan oil for cosmetic purposes.

Be careful when you purchase the oil to NOT use solvent extracted oil.....
GreenDiva
5% products discount

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used the silicone based MoroccanOil myself because all the chemical additives irritate my scalp. I am a huge fan of the 100% pure argan oil for my color-treated very curly hair. I use Kaeline L'Huile de Beaute and simply love it for my skin, hair, and nails. http://www.ArganOilUSA.com

It is not solvent extracted and is part of Kaeline's line of high quality argan oil based products. I find that my color stays longer and hair is silkier when I regularly use a few drops of the pure argan oil after towel drying my hair.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |