Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Renova .05 discontinued
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Ok, so a tube of Renova lasts me several months, and I've been using .05% at night for at least 5 years. When I got my last refill, they gave me .02%, and I didn't notice till I had already opened it, so I've been using it, but I told the pharmacist to check with my dermatologist to get the right prescription. When I went in today to get it, she told me that the .05 has been discontinued! I'm totally bummed about it. I don't like the smell or the feel of the .02.

For the past couple of months, I've been switching off with Viterol.A and am considering using it all the time instead of Renova. Any thoughts, please?
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
that's odd, catballou

your pharmacist should not have filled that without asking you about the switch first. perhaps call your derm and ask about it? did they write .05 or .02 on the script?

is there something else they can give you if you dont like the .02? Retin A micro has a nice feel to it. they call it a gel but it looks more like a lotion - somewhat creamy. it has a higher pH than the other retinoids and is not as irritating. it has microspheres that allow it to work longer, albiet all day, so the irritation is lessened.

if your derm was aware that the .05 was discontinued, they should have given you some samples of other retinoids to try. my derm gave me about a months' worth of the micro in both strengths.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
If Renova 0.5 % is discontinued, I would opt for Retin-A 0.5 %, which is typically recommended to combat signs of aging.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl and foxe, that's another unsettling thing that has happened lately. My dermatologist retired and turned his patients over to a new derm. I was not impressed w/ my first visit to the new guy and will be searching for another one. Anyway, I thought the mix-up was mine, for not making sure the new doc knew I used .05. Evidently he doesn't even know it's discontinued because my pharmacist said when they called, he gave permission for .05% Rolling Eyes

I used Retin-A .01% years ago, before my doctor changed me to Renova because he thought it was better. I seem to remember that it made my skin very dry, but I wasn't using the other good products that I am today.

Edit: I just read what both of you said in the other thread about Retin-A Micro, and I did some research online. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask for a script for that. Since I've been using Renova .05 for so long, do you think I should start with .1% or start lower and work my way up?
Thanks very much for your replies.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
I had stopped using Renova for a few years and just went back to Retin a Micro which is more like a lotion. If you feel a bit dry at first you can put a fav moisturizer on top.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Catballou,

The same thing happened to me - when I tried to refill my prescription for Renova about a month ago. (Yeah, I'm one of those who makes a tube last a long time too!)

The pharmacy had to call me and tell me that they'd discontinued Renova - and then they had to call my Dr. to get authorization for a generic.

Currently, I'm using Tretinoin Cream USP 0.05% in a 45g tube. It feels quite similar to the Renova - and is in a creamy, emollient base - so it feels moisturizing. This particular tube was manufactured for Triax Pharmaceuticals (Cranford, NJ) by DPT Laboratories (San Antonio, TX). Just in case you were wondering - since there seem to be quite a few generic versions out there.

I'm happy with it so far (as I'm using it in conjunction with the Obagi Nu Derm) - *but* it did seem not as strong as the original Renova. (It could be my imagination - or it could be that I've developed a tolerance over the years. But, usually, I noticed that when I used to start a new tube of Renova, I'd get some mild exfoliation. With this generic - I noticed none of the same effects.

It is nice, though, being on the generic as my insurance pays for it - and they didn't pay for the Renova. ($5 vs. $110!)

Hope your pharmacist and Dr. can help you find a workable substitute! Good luck!
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Rufus and taobunny. That would be wonderful to find a substitute that my insurance would pay for! Mine doesn't pay anything on Renova, and it has been running about $200 a tube lately! Shock
I'm beginning to think it's a blessing that I'm having to look elsewhere.

taobunny, do you buy your tretinoin online?
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
catballou wrote:
Hi, Rufus and taobunny. That would be wonderful to find a substitute that my insurance would pay for! Mine doesn't pay anything on Renova, and it has been running about $200 a tube lately! Shock
I'm beginning to think it's a blessing that I'm having to look elsewhere.

taobunny, do you buy your tretinoin online?

Hi Catballou,

I know what you mean! I would have stuck with the name brand too - had it not been discontinued. As for your question, no, sorry, I get mine straight from the pharmacy. But, I'm sure that your doctor - or insurance/pharmacist can give you some recommendations as to which generic you should go with.

Keep us posted - and best of luck! Smile
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, taobunny. I got to reading in another thread in this forum where several members order tretinoin from All Day Chemist. I felt a little shaky about placing my first order with them, but I used a PayPal single use credit card, and a tube cost less than $4 (plus some pretty steep shipping). I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, I also want to try Retin-A Micro, and I'll ask my doctor for a prescription of that tomorrow.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |