Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Is Tretinoin (Retin-A, Renova, etc) unsafe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
volmel
5% products discount

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Well, now I'm rethinking my posts here. I was using the whole Obagi system (I had previously been using Retin-A alone). I started having those lung problems I mentioned. So I quit the Retin-A and Obagi and it got better. I bought Obagi C-RX and used it. I started having the lung problems again. So now I'm wondering if I'm extremely sensitive to something in all of the Obagi products. I don't even know if this is possible or not.

I do want to add a Vit. C, but there are so many. It's hard to know which will do the maximum for my skin.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote
volmel wrote:
Well, now I'm rethinking my posts here. I was using the whole Obagi system (I had previously been using Retin-A alone). I started having those lung problems I mentioned. So I quit the Retin-A and Obagi and it got better. I bought Obagi C-RX and used it. I started having the lung problems again. So now I'm wondering if I'm extremely sensitive to something in all of the Obagi products. I don't even know if this is possible or not.

I do want to add a Vit. C, but there are so many. It's hard to know which will do the maximum for my skin.

volmel, you could be having a reaction to the sodium metabisulfite. There is a warning on Obagi products about allergic reactions from sodium metabisulfite, check the back of the products or the brochure that came with you things.
volmel
5% products discount

Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:33 am      Reply with quote
riley, could this be a cousin of a sulfa drug? I am allergic to sulfa drugs that I've had to take in the past.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
volmel wrote:

volmel, you could be having a reaction to the sodium metabisulfite. There is a warning on Obagi products about allergic reactions from sodium metabisulfite, check the back of the products or the brochure that came with you things.

volmel wrote:
riley, could this be a cousin of a sulfa drug? I am allergic to sulfa drugs that I've had to take in the past.

I sure hope you didn't give up your cats due to the lung issue if it turns out to be Obagi! But if this turns out to be your issue, I would probably give up your doctor.

Quote:
Sulfites are sometimes added to foods to act as enhancers or preservatives. They may come in various forms, such as:
- Sulfur dioxide
- Potassium bisulfite or potassium metabisulfite
- Sodium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite or sodium sulfite

Some humans are allergic to sulfites. It is an undeclared allergen that may cause breathing difficulty within minutes after eating a food containing sulfites.[5] Asthmatics and people with allergies to aspirin (also known as salicylate sensitivity) are at an elevated risk for reaction to sulfites.[5] The reaction can be fatal and requires immediate treatment at an emergency room, and can include sneezing, swelling of the throat, and hives. Sulfites are also known to destroy vitamin B1 (thiamin), a vitamin essential for metabolism of carbohydrates and alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfites

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
volmel, that is a good question! I honestly do not know.

Here is a link that may tell you some more. Hope it helps.

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm
volmel
5% products discount

Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Riley and Bethany, I can't thank you enough for those links. And don't worry, Bethany, the cats are staying, although I have made them quit sleeping in my bed with me.

Those links make sense to me. The sulfites are in some inhalers for asthma and some of the inhalers made me worse, until the pulmonologist put me on the correct ones. I would think this is all in my head, except they have measured lung capacity and have done asthma tests and I have flunked them. So it has to be something I'm using, since other factors have remained the same. I've been in the same house, same pets, same husband (lol) for years, so I have to think it's something new chemically.

Many thanks for all your help!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome, volmel. Good luck to you. I am hoping it is not the Obagi products causing your problems, but it certainly sounds that it may be if you had problems while on Nu Derm and then on C-RX.

I had lung issues when I first started using the nu derm several years ago (flare-up with my asthma). I assumed I had an allergy to the sulfite. But, I was desperate to get rid of my hyperpigmentation, so I tried the products again after a few months off, and I have not had any issues since.

Anyway, it pays to remember everything we put on our skin is absorbed into our bodies, so there is always a chance of some type of reaction!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Retinol is a natural form of vitamin A, while Retin-A and Renova are based on retinoic acid, a synthetic derivative of vitamin A, which is prescription only and considered a pharmaceutical (hence usually is available only on prescription).

Stardustdy wrote:
Is Retin A the same as Retinol?? Confused

SeanyseanUK - this is not actually a true statement. Retin-A is not a synthetic version of Vitamin A, but is a 'derivative'. It is actually an acid form of Vit A. and is called retonic acid. Another word for it is tretinoin. In skin, tretinoin is the form of vitamin A that can actually affect cell production by binding to the tretinoin receptor sites on the cell.

Tazorac is a synthetic form of tretinoin. It is a bit 'stronger' than Retin A too. (according to some accounts).

volmel - rileygirl is giving you some good advice. I hope you get to the bottom of this.

seany - don't want to sound like a preacher. just don't like things to get mis-represented.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
volmel wrote:
Riley and Bethany, I can't thank you enough for those links. And don't worry, Bethany, the cats are staying, although I have made them quit sleeping in my bed with me.

Those links make sense to me. The sulfites are in some inhalers for asthma and some of the inhalers made me worse, until the pulmonologist put me on the correct ones. I would think this is all in my head, except they have measured lung capacity and have done asthma tests and I have flunked them. So it has to be something I'm using, since other factors have remained the same. I've been in the same house, same pets, same husband (lol) for years, so I have to think it's something new chemically.

Many thanks for all your help!

No problem! I'm just glad you didn't have to give up your fur kids. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Retinol is a natural form of vitamin A, while Retin-A and Renova are based on retinoic acid, a synthetic derivative of vitamin A, which is prescription only and considered a pharmaceutical (hence usually is available only on prescription).

Stardustdy wrote:

SeanyseanUK - this is not actually a true statement. Retin-A is not a synthetic version of Vitamin A, but is a 'derivative'. It is actually an acid form of Vit A. and is called retonic acid. Another word for it is tretinoin. In skin, tretinoin is the form of vitamin A that can actually affect cell production by binding to the tretinoin receptor sites on the cell.

Tazorac is a synthetic form of tretinoin. It is a bit 'stronger' than Retin A too. (according to some accounts).

volmel - rileygirl is giving you some good advice. I hope you get to the bottom of this.

seany - don't want to sound like a preacher. just don't like things to get mis-represented.

I don't want to sound like a preacher, either, but

Retin-A is only a brand name. The active ingredient in Retin-A is tretinoin, which is vitamin A acid, also called retinoic acid.

Here is a good explanation on Retin-A and retinol from Paula's Choice.

http://www.paulaschoice.com.au/learn/dictionary.asp?ID=R&TYPE=SEARCH

ETA: It seems like the link is not working. Just search for "Retin-A" and "retinol" in the cosmetic ingredient dictionary.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've asked my derm but he says it's safe... so I'm going to just trust him. I can't live without my retin-A.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for correcting me Foxe, your 100% right, I went back to my textbooks and it does say its a derivative. My memory does at times play tricks on me.... but thanks for clearing it up.

So much info out there and not enough time to learn it and master it all and turn it into knowledge!
foxe wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Stardustdy wrote:

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |