Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Question for Biotin users.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I recently bought some biotin for improving my hair. They are 300mcg and on the bottle it says to take 1 tablet a day. Is this the sort of dosage that most of you are taking?
Thanks heaps.
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
Biotin is water soluble so taking more than 1 tablet will simply be excreted thru urine.
Your body will absorb what it needs at the time and rid the rest.

If you want to take more than 1 dose, spread it out throughout the day.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Miss Shoes. Smile
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 am      Reply with quote
I have biotin too, never know that it is water soluble. Thanks for the info...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I take 2,800 mcg daily. It takes several weeks to really notice a difference though.
anomaly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Didn't someone say that this causes acne?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
anomaly wrote:
Didn't someone say that this causes acne?

I have not read that but I'm very acne prone and this does not cause a problem for me.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I take 2,800 mcg daily. It takes several weeks to really notice a difference though.

Wow! That's 9 times the amount I've got. Can you buy it in that strength?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
GNC sells it at 2500mcg strength (Biotin only) or a Hair, Skin and Nails formula (2 tablets providing 3000mg plus other vitamins).
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I take Biotin by Jarrow Formulas and it's 5000 mcg. I take it once a day. I do notice a difference in my nails when I take it. They're a lot stronger. I haven't notice a difference in my hair though.

Check out this link if you have any questions regarding vitamins/minerals and their dosages.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Yen: the link is missing?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Yen: the link is missing?

Sorry, I totally forgot to paste it in. Embarassed

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2461007.html#V

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, that's very useful!
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Years ago, I took the GNC brand 2500 mcg capsules. I have a tendency to get an acneic cyst 2-3 times per year. However, while on the biotin, I was getting several at one time and when they seemed to be healing, new ones would start up. When I cut out the biotin, the cystic acne finally went away and didn't return (other than the rare appearances they usally made when I wasn't on biotin). I haven't been on extra biotin since then, although I do still get some in my regular daily multi-vitamin.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link Yen I've bookmarked it.

Thanks for the info mlrox.

So it seems I completely wasted my money on the biotin then. 300mcg what a joke!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Yen - for that great link...

My derm just recommended I take Biotin for my nails - so this is very helpful...

Interesting to read from your link:

Researchers have estimated that 30 mcg per day appears to be an adequate intake for adults.7 Typically, consumption from a Western diet has been estimated to be 30–70 mcg per day. Larger amounts of biotin (8–16 mg per day) may be supportive for people with diabetes by lowering blood glucose levels and by preventing diabetic neuropathy.8 9 Biotin in the amount of 2.5 mg per day strengthened the fingernails of two-thirds of a group of people with brittle nails, according to one clinical trial.

(But, as my doctor says - if you take too much of a water soluble vitamin - your body excretes it - and you have what basically amounts to expensive pee!) Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 am      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
(But, as my doctor says - if you take too much of a water soluble vitamin - your body excretes it - and you have what basically amounts to expensive pee!) Laughing

I totally agree. Need to pay attention to the amount needed, otherwise you are "peeing your money away"! Laughing
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Good to know. I never knew that if you took excess amount of water soluble vitamins you just pee it out. I knew this is true for vitamin c. Thanks for the heads up Smile
Angelique422

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I take 5000mcg of biotin 4X/day and don't break out. It makes a huge difference in my nails within 2 weeks and shows in my hair after many months.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |