Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Devita Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I talk about Devita sunscreen a lot, but I just realized that (at least according to a search I just did) there's no proper review of it!

My sunscreen of choice is Devita Body Block SPF 30. I use it instead of the facial sunscreen because I didn't see a large difference between the two and there is a significant price differential. The ingredients are mostly the same. For the amount you get, (6 ounces) it's a really great value. Retail value is $28, but the vendor I buy it from sells it at a discount (Internatural Smile ). I don't think the "a little goes a long way" philosophy applies for sunscreen and I use it generously. I go through about 3 oz of it a month. (But more in summer, and probably less in winter, so an estimate is hard to make)

It has 14% zinc oxide, which is pretty good protection, but probably would not be enough for the beach. It's a light cream, not greasy at all. Amazingly, there's no white cast to speak of, it dries clear. It does not flake off, which is my biggest problem with some physical sunscreens. However, it's not mattifying, the effect is very "dewy". It's not water resistant at all. On hot days, the dewy can start looking a little too dewy. I also think it's a good moisturizer, not just sunscreen. It has a lot of good ingredients, like green tea extract, and nothing bad. I don't break out from it at all.

However, if it's applied in the eye area it makes me tear up. I think it's because it's so thin and light- it's easy for it run into the eyes. My solution to that is to mix it with something thicker so that it's not as thin. I mix it with Badger SPF 30 and Dermalogica sensitive SPF 25 (both are physical, and the Dermalogica is tinted). My eye sunscreen is moisturizing and tinted so it's an all in one product. But I use those products only because I have them. When I use them up, I'm not sure if I'll repurchase them or go with something else.

ACTIVE INGREDIENT: MICRONIZED ZINC OXIDE: 14% (TRANSPARENT) Purified Water, Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Japanese Green Tea Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (derived from Coconut Oil), Vegetable Glycerin, Dexapathenol (Vitamin B5), Vitamin E (Acetate), Olive Oil, Lecithin, Shea Butter, Copper Gluconate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Olive Squalene, Vitamin A (Palmitate), Hyaluronic Acid, NaPCA, Essential Oils of Lavender and Chamomile, Rosehip Oil, Centella Asiatica Extract, Seaweed Extract, Riboflavin Phosphate, Carrageenan, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Allantoin, and Grape Seed Extract.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, thank you for the review Smile
a good and objective one Smile
I`d like to add that my Devita solar protective moisturizer SPF 30 (facial sunscreen) contains also "rhatany extract" according to the ingredients list, which is claimed to be a natural sun filter.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
oh, and I find this "dewy" look has somewhat metallic shine - is it because of zinc?? Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva, I think the "rhatany extract" from the facial version was replaced with green tea extract in the body one. At least green tea extract is something we're all familiar with Smile

The dewy aspect: I don't think it's metallic. It really doesn't bother me, actually, especially now that it's winter. But it could be a little annoying in the summer when it's really hot and humid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review Nimue! I love Devita SS too. I don't mind the dewiness at all, and I use Cargo blu_ray pressed powder over it with a kabuki brush for an easy no-makeup look in summer or on weekends. Still radiant, but a little less dewy!
I tested Devita this wkend while riding for 3 hours in the car on the sunny side- usually I end up red and blotchy after sitting anywhere near the sun. I had no redness or tanning at all! YaY! Devita!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review! I tried to search for places where I can buy one, but couldn't find anything. Would you be so kind to tell me where in Canada I can buy this product? Is there an online store? I tried so many products, but haven't found the "perfect" sunblock, may be this will be THE ONE...
Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
Thanks for the review! I tried to search for places where I can buy one, but couldn't find anything. Would you be so kind to tell me where in Canada I can buy this product? Is there an online store? I tried so many products, but haven't found the "perfect" sunblock, may be this will be THE ONE...
Thanks

Lara, I`m in Germany and have bought my second jar of facial sunscreen from ebay - the seller is called aromablossom, here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Devita-Natural-Solar-Protective-Moisturizer-SPF-30-NIB_W0QQitemZ270206063223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkin_Care_test?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

there is also an online shop Internatural -www.internatural.com where they sell the Body Block. The reason I do buy from them - I wrote them a letter asking about international shipment but never got the answer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:27 am      Reply with quote
Aiva,
thank you very much! I will definitely get one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I was using the Devita facial sunscreen. I didn't like that I had to dip my fingers (or other tool) into it to get product out. Not hygienic and does take extra time to apply, IME, when I am in a rush in the morning. Also, there was something in the sunscreen formula that made my eyes sting and tear badly. I did love the consistency of the cream, however, and it applied well.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:05 am      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
I was using the Devita facial sunscreen. I didn't like that I had to dip my fingers (or other tool) into it to get product out. Not hygienic and does take extra time to apply, IME, when I am in a rush in the morning. Also, there was something in the sunscreen formula that made my eyes sting and tear badly. I did love the consistency of the cream, however, and it applied well.

I also do not like the jar concept of facial sunscreen, but it does not last me very long, so I have not had problems with contamination of the product. And I can apply it around the eyes without any problems.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:38 am      Reply with quote
i have been using devita for awhile and agree that it bothers my eyes upon initial application. i think it is more from the "fumes" of the sunscreen which dissipates shortly. for devita ss fans, i highly recommend you check out zenbiotic ss. i just started using it and am sure it will be a replacement for devita. the zenbiotic is more runny while the devita is like a gel/cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
What type of container is the Zenbiotic s/s in? tube, jar, etc.?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marci,

The zenbiotic is in a pump container. another thing i love.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
The body version of the sunscreen is in a bottle, so no jar issues there.

Eyes stinging- my solution of mixing it with something to make it thicker seems to works for me but yeah most people have this complaint about this sunscreen, you're definitely not the only one.

marci65 wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I don't remember offhand what the zinc oxide % is in the Zenbiotic, but I know it's lower than what's in Devita.

ETA: Zenbiotic is 10% zinc oxide. I'm sure it's good, but right now I'm happy with Devita and since the Devita has more zinc oxide and costs less, I don't see a reason to try zenbiotic.

skincareaddicted wrote:
for devita ss fans, i highly recommend you check out zenbiotic ss. i just started using it and am sure it will be a replacement for devita. the zenbiotic is more runny while the devita is like a gel/cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
It definitely does work Smile I've gotten *no* new freckles/sun spots/dots from this summer, and some old ones are actually fading!

When it was super hot in the summer, I also experimented with mineral make up on top of the Devita.

fawnie wrote:
Thanks for the review Nimue! I love Devita SS too. I don't mind the dewiness at all, and I use Cargo blu_ray pressed powder over it with a kabuki brush for an easy no-makeup look in summer or on weekends. Still radiant, but a little less dewy!
I tested Devita this wkend while riding for 3 hours in the car on the sunny side- usually I end up red and blotchy after sitting anywhere near the sun. I had no redness or tanning at all! YaY! Devita!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Internatural does say that it ships worldwide.

http://www.internatural.com/document/aboutus.html

"InterNatural has over 12,000 products which are shipped worldwide the next business day"

(The shipping page is down right now though)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:42 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
I don't remember offhand what the zinc oxide % is in the Zenbiotic, but I know it's lower than what's in Devita.

ETA: Zenbiotic is 10% zinc oxide. I'm sure it's good, but right now I'm happy with Devita and since the Devita has more zinc oxide and costs less, I don't see a reason to try zenbiotic.

skincareaddicted wrote:
for devita ss fans, i highly recommend you check out zenbiotic ss. i just started using it and am sure it will be a replacement for devita. the zenbiotic is more runny while the devita is like a gel/cream.

Hi Nimue,

I felt the exact same way about devita months ago but the texture is starting to bother me as i wanted something less gel/cream and more of a lotion for facial application. the zenbiotic ss has the addition of zero eye irritation for me. plus, i am addicted, and always on the lookout for newer products. glad to hear you're enjoying devita ss though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad that you love zenbiotic. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great option. And it's true that the eye sensitivity is annoying. (I like Devita's texture, btw) But, I reaaally don't want to go to something that has a lower zinc oxide %, since that's the most important thing.

Next I'm probably going to try at Keys Solar sunscreen. It has 18.5% zinc oxide but it's more expensive than Devita (and zenbiotic also). Maybe if it works out I'll even wind up using the Keys around the eyes and Devita everywhere else.

skincareaddicted wrote:

Hi Nimue,

I felt the exact same way about devita months ago but the texture is starting to bother me as i wanted something less gel/cream and more of a lotion for facial application. the zenbiotic ss has the addition of zero eye irritation for me. plus, i am addicted, and always on the lookout for newer products. glad to hear you're enjoying devita ss though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I have tried all 3 of these: Devita (favorite), Keys (not moisturizing enough in the colder weather/too heavy in the humidity), Zenbiotic (nice in the humidity as it's not cream but more of a serum).
The Devita Body Sunblock is more a lotion than the Solar Protective Moisturizer and still is SPF30. I like it better in the colder drier weather, and it's a better value as well.
HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to add that I'm another Devita lover here -- both the bottle and the jar. Because my husband and I both use the jar, it doesn't last long, so I also don't have any issues with it being contaminated. I haven't had the eye trouble, though I don't usually apply to my eyelids, I rely on sunglasses for that... I wear mine over Vit C serum and use mineral makeup over, not sure if that makes a difference... The texture is particularly nice for me, especially in the winter.

I have a bottle of Keys, too, which is quite a bit thicker (IMO). I liked this during the summer when I was super sweaty. But with both it and Devita I haven't had anymore freckling, which is my main way of telling how much sun I've gotten. No breakouts from either, too. Woo-hoo! Cool

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
THanks for the review. I will have to try this brand once I am done with the other brands I'm using right now.
edseds2009
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, it is sunmmer now, I am looking for a suitable suncare product, and thie review give me a more choice.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Devita's come out with new products and there's been more Devita talk recently, so I figure it's time to resurrect this thread. The 2 important things are:

1. Now the sunscreen has 19% zinc oxide instead of 14%.
2. New, improved packaging- the face block that used to be in a jar is now in a pump and the body block that used to be in a bottle is in a tube.

Both are great improvements! The awesome thing is that the prices didn't go up. And *besides* that, Devita is supposed to come out with a line of mineral make up any day now, which means I'm checking their website practically every day. I'm waiting with bated breath to try their tinted sunscreen product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Devita's come out with new products and there's been more Devita talk recently, so I figure it's time to resurrect this thread. The 2 important things are:

Here are the ingredients for the new Devita suncreen:

Contains: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Micronized Zinc oxide 19%. INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (organic aloe vera gel), Purified Water (aqua), Capric/caprylic triglycerides (derived from coconut oil), Glycerin (vegetable), Hyaluronic acid (vegan source), Glyceryl stearate SE (derived from vegetable oil), Stearic acid, Lecithin phospholipid, Tocopherol (vitamin E), Allantoin, Vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract. Ingredient labeling adheres to international INCI standards.

And a note on the particle sizes: Not a nanotechnology product. Average paritcle size is 250 nm

And per Devita's website: DeVita sunscreen formulas are tested using the USFDA Monograph Sun Protection Factor Determination test. We submitted testing to the category SPF factor of 30+. Our lab tests show a stability rating of two (2) years.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |