Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RAVE: Make Up Forever HD Foundation for light-kissed skin!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I just discovered this High Definition "Invisible Cover Foundation", available at Sephora exclusively. The best way to apply it, I have found, is with a slightly damp kabuki or skunk brush, just on the tips of the bristles. I pump one pump onto a clean CD (like a palette) and swirl the damp bristles of my brush to pick it up, then swirl it onto my primed skin. Then I buff it around using the same brush until it looks utterly air-brushed. I finish with concealer where needed. I don't use a setting powder, but Coastal Scents makes a good Silica Spheres powder that is lots cheaper than the MakeUp Forever HD setting powder that is recommended to use with it.

It doesn't look masky or canvas-like, and it doesn't cover every little spot - that's not its purpose. It contains sericite (mica), which diffuses light so that the skin looks natural, healthy, moist and young, not plastered-over and old. It's suitable for all skin types especially dry, and is oil-free. "Its unusually smooth and elastic texture makes it easy to apply and a pleasure to wear. Skin texture is refined to give a very natural complexion. Enriched with Relipidium, HD foundation moisturizes and prepares the skin for make-up." Made in France.

Ingred: water, cyclopentasiloxane, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, mica, talc, peg-10, dimethicone, biosaccharide gum-1, phenyl trimethicone, sodium chloride, lauroyl lysine, dimethicone crosspolymer, glyceryl caprylate, methylpropanediol, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, chlorphenesin, disteardimonium hectorite, sodium myristoyl glytamate, cyclohexasiloxane, methylisothiazolinone, sorbitan sesquioleate, silver oxide, propylene carbonate, parfum, methylparaben, fagus sylvatica extract (fagus sylvatica bud extract), hydrolyzed yeast protein, titanium dioxide, iron oxides. No SPF listed.

Comes in an air-tight pump bottle. $44USD for 30ml/1.01oz. Colors range from pink to neutral to yellow within pale, light, lt/medium, med/dark and dark shades. Color #120 is perfect for my lt/med skin and is sheer enough that it could blend on different skins.

I couldn't believe what a difference a swirl of this stuff made! Glow-y but not shiny or pearly or disco. Just right.

5% products discount

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad to see a rave about this product. I've been debating b/w getting the HD or the Face & Body (F&B) foundation for a while now. I love the way the F&B feels (despite the perfumy scent), but I think I need the HD for coverage. I love the way they make my skin look, especially since my MMU was making me look super dry, but I've been having some issues trying to find the right color. I think I'm going to mix. I just wish I knew how to figure out the colors without asking for samples of all of them, so I can figure out which ones to mix. Does anyone know how the numbering system is organized?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Saucy,
Sephora.com's shade chart lists the descriptions of the shades, but the colors don't look true at all, at least not on my monitor!

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P217905&categoryId=C13402

I am a light/medium shade and I picked the yellow-toned one. It's not too yellow, not egg-yolk yellow. They are sheer enough to be somewhat forgiving. You can also go to MakeUpAlley.com and under "Product Reviews" search it. Unless you are very pale, #120 is a good basic color to start from. I was wrong about the price, it's $40USD.

I never have tried F&B, altho I've read the great reviews. I think I've tried about every high-end foundation and then some! At some point, I just said, *Whoa!* this is it! I'm happy and I'm not trying one more darned foundation!! It does seem to make a difference wearing a primer under it, however....I use Guerlain L'or, but MUFE makes a pretty good HD primer too to go with it....and the kabuki brush....are you seeing the pattern here?? Wink

hope you find just the right shade! It's Heaven when you do!

5% products discount

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely agree that the shades are forgiving. One of the shades that I tried was way too dark for me, but not in an orangy-yucky mask way, but in a I-somehow-only-tanned-my-face way. Laughing I love that chart, I've looked at it obsessively, along with the shade finder and this blog where someone took photos of the foundation swatched on skin (much better representation of the colors than Sephora's site). I used those to make my sample choices and I got color matched, but I think I'll probably have to mix for the HD. Before I make that economic plunge (which would be worth it for perfect foundation), I'm going to continue using the samples to make sure it doesn't break me out. If it doesn't, then I'll probably also try the MUFE primer Very Happy A Sephora MA said it was the best she's tried and I like how it feels more like a lotion (tried it on my hand) - I definitely could use the moisture. If you decide to get the primer or kabuki, let us know how it goes. I'm so happy for you that you found your perfect foundation! Very Happy
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have to admit I love this stuff. I was put off by descriptions on MUA that it was full-coverage. I'm a TM person. It isn't, at least it dosen't look or feel like it is. With all their colors, it's easy to find a perfect match. This has definitely replaced my Armani LSF which felt quite heavy in comparison...it's a lot cheaper too.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
marina, yes I like it better than Giorgio Armani LSF too - it doesn't give me that "greasy" look and you're right: it isn't full coverage at all. It DOES feel so light on the skin, even on top of all my treatments, SS, & primer!

Sometimes I just smooth it on with my fingers, but it really looks perfect with the damp-kabuki method. It only takes a minute to do, and then a little concealer if I need it. It sets really quickly so I have to work fast to apply it evenly - that's where the kabuki really comes in handy, you just swoosh it on and it sets smoothly.

I did go ahead and buy the MUFE kabuki, but after I washed it once, the plastic around the handle cracked and is peeling. Nice, for a brush that cost $40USD, huh? I think any skunk brush, and even my philosophy Supernatural brush, works just as well, as long as it's dampened a bit. And then buffing (with the same brush after the foundation is all applied and the brush has dried a little) is key too for a really natural look that makes my skin look perfect! (it's really not - but that's the beauty of foundation.) Wink

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |