Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Ageless if you Dare - Loulou's Facial Exercises
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Silver, I have a theory on why some people's faces build up unevenly. Part of it is that everyone's faces are asymetrical. But I think this might have something to do with it:

When you do these exercises, you grip a chunk of flesh to add resistance. The tighter you grip and isolate the muscle, the harder the muscle will work. Since all of us are either right or left handed, I believe that the slight difference in the force of the grip with different hands may be part of what causes this imbalance.

So my suggestion would be to make sure that you're gripping your face with EQUAL force on both sides, so that one side isn't getting a stronger workout than the other.

As to how long it took to see changes - after a couple of weeks I could tell a definite difference. My cheeks were slightly lifted, and my mouth was turning up at the corners. In about the second month, my cheeks had really sucked in, and my cheekbone area was built up more, giving a definite countour to a previous flabby, shapeless cheek.

Now, several months in, my cheeks look wonderful - high and tight cheekbones. The sucked-in look has abated some, but not entirely, which makes me happy because I like that look. Now my cheeks look a bit plumper since they filled in, but I still have a definite hollow underneath my cheekbones. Jowls are long gone! My mouth is much more contoured now, I had a lot of smoker's lines which are either gone or much smaller. My lips look much fuller. My chin is firmer. My eyes are much more open than they were - I didn't think they looked aged, but when I saw a recent pic of myself, I realized that they were indeed aged and the difference there is striking.

Today I went to a hen party and saw some women I haven't seen in a while, and I kept hearing "you look BEAUTIFUL!" Did my heart good!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Oh Immacolata

That’s wonderful to hear that other people recognise your changes.

With the theory though, I want to try and explain in my own terms what has been said to me that made some sort of sense that perhaps you can adapt. With some people and their faces building uneveningly I remember I think someone saying it actually had to do with your muscles being quick or slow to respond due to the particular type of muscle fibres that they are. So for example with some people their mouth muscles – that circular one can be a large portion of fast responding muscle fibres, whereas their chin might be slow responding muscle fibres. I’m probably using the wrong term, but basically the idea was that the muscles which respond quickly are built to respond quickly, whereas the slower ones respond slowly and everyones face is a mix and match of them. Even the muscles that respond quickly aren’t not all quick responding fibres, but a mix and match of fast and slow responding ones.

It kind of made sense at the time, and I know there was sciency bits that flew over my head, but I remember reading it and thinking oh that’s why such and such happened etc. I know the experts say to work out each side equally, but for me, sometimes I’ve ignored that and think I’ve gotten better results as a result. So I think its worth experimenting with. I even remember Loulou telling someone on the old forum that it doesn’t hurt to do a few more reps on the eye that wasn’t responding at the same speed to get it working quicker so that speaks volumes too to me.

Tessie
ckharding

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:36 am      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
ckharding,
Hi, and welcome!
Really interested in your experience with the brow lift ex. How often -days a week, reps.- do you do it? For how long? When did you see results? Sorry for lots of questions. Smile
TIA, A.

Hi A,

I'm glad it's of interest to you!

I started doing the extra ones around 2 months ago, but had always included this along with the other ‘extras’ as part of my general routine (when I do it - I have on/off periods)

I do them every morning while still in bed, unless I’m rushed or forget (maybe lying flat makes them more effective – gravity?) then usually again while watching TV/ at the PC etc. in the evening.

I do approx. 20 reps each time, but only hold momentarily. I say approx because I’ve not been counting so attentively here - as the brow’s ‘low priority’ for me I’ve been a bit blasé about timing and frequency.

(I didn’t notice any extra furrowing from all this, but should add my skin is quite thick up there and I already had some lines, and the 'no11's were certainly visible.)

I can say that I really noticed most dramatically just over 3 weeks ago: in fact, having been talking about my 'experiment’ with a friend I tried to buy beer and was refused! (I’m 44…) I’ve been age-challenged before but have never actually walked out of a store minus my alcohol. I don’t think my brow looks quite as smooth now as it did that day, for whatever reason, but it’s still much smoother than it was.

I realise I’m doing something that’s clearly NOT advised (and would hate to think someone else might try this and get unwanted results), but the brow seemed so far away from my real target area (cheeks), and I was curious.

Wish I could get my cheeks to respond this enthusiastically! I’m still nervous of Crush but have a feeling that might be the one I need most!
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I would be careful not to overdo - keep a close watch. You don't want to end up with a big ridge on your brow, which is what it will look like if it gets too built up!

If it's to your liking now, I would stop at this point and go back to doing them only occasionally.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
ckharding wrote:
I do approx. 20 reps each time, but only hold momentarily. I say approx because I’ve not been counting so attentively here - as the brow’s ‘low priority’ for me I’ve been a bit blasé about timing and frequency.

(I didn’t notice any extra furrowing from all this, but should add my skin is quite thick up there and I already had some lines, and the 'no11's were certainly visible.)

I can say that I really noticed most dramatically just over 3 weeks ago: in fact, having been talking about my 'experiment’ with a friend I tried to buy beer and was refused! (I’m 44…) I’ve been age-challenged before but have never actually walked out of a store minus my alcohol. I don’t think my brow looks quite as smooth now as it did that day, for whatever reason, but it’s still much smoother than it was.

Thank you! It's great you got such good results, I guess I'll start doing the brow ex. more often and treat as an experiment too! Haven't noticed any improvement just doing it occasionally so I guess I'll give it a try.

Immacolata wrote:
I would be careful not to overdo - keep a close watch. You don't want to end up with a big ridge on your brow, which is what it will look like if it gets too built up!

If it's to your liking now, I would stop at this point and go back to doing them only occasionally.

Hi, what do you mean by ending up with a big ridge on your brow? One of the things I like about the brow ex. of Ageless is that as you're doing it, because of the technique, you're not causing the skin to crease, at least mine doesn't crease. I feel the muscle working without causing the skin to crease. As I understand the problem in any case would be if once finished the ex. the muscle stays contracted, causing the skin against it to "fit" the contraction which could set a crease in the skin until it relaxed. What do you think?
Even Loulou herself has mentioned she is divided about this area, mentioning that the furrowing can go on for a long while until the muscle becomes strong and elastic enough to lie flat again.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I mean that the muscle itself can build very quickly. That's why the occasional exercises are meant to be occasional. I was doing them once a week but went back to once a month. My jaw was getting too "hard" of a look about it.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice.

Funnily enough, I naturally have quite a pronounced brow ridge. If anything I feel the extra build - if that's what I'm actually seeing - has helped to pad it out just above the ridge, or make it look less bumpy somehow. I will keep a close eye on what's going on up there though...
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
I mean that the muscle itself can build very quickly. That's why the occasional exercises are meant to be occasional. I was doing them once a week but went back to once a month. My jaw was getting too "hard" of a look about it.

Thanks. And did you notice improvement on the brow from once a week exercising it? Is this not a problem area for you?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I did more reps of the brow lifts on my right side than I did on my left, and it did work to even them out a bit. I have some paralysis on the right, not enough to cause a droop but enough that the muscle there responds much more slowly.

Whatever you decide to do, my best advice is to keep a very close watch on the changes that are happening in your face. If something occurs that alarms you or causes concern, STOP until you can get in touch with the program originator and get their advice.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 am      Reply with quote
So here I am, procrastinating at starting my Hotspots session today.

Today is session 6; the last time I did this, I had noted that some small changes had occurred by session 8, so this is spurring me forward.
but... ouch.

Laughing

Next week, I am starting the 30 day program, which leads in to my holiday on 2 May.
Londoner89

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am a 24 year old man and I have a couple of questions about these exercises.

Is there an exercise to smooth out fatty pouches on the side of the mouth and on the upper lip? I think they are called perioral mounds. I wanted to post a picture to demonstrate this but as I'm a new member, I cant post links. I have what looks like the beginnings of nasolabial folds and marionette lines, but they are actually caused by the fat/muscles around my mouth, and they become prominent in certain lighting as they create shadows. The area looks a bit like the shape of Hulk Hogan's moustache, if you can imagine that! I want this area to be smooth so my cheeks/jaw blend into my mouth. Can this be improved by exercise?

Also, my grip starts to slip after a while when doing these exercises. Is there a trick to maintaining a tight grip?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use those cotton gloves you can buy at the dollar store. They work well on sweaty/oily skin to maintain your grip.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I am new to the forum. Having been reading
everyones post regarding facial exercises. It prompted me to buy the Ageless If you dare download. I have found it helpful around the eye area and some firming in the cheek area. The only thing I find puzzling is one side of my lower face seems saggier and the skin seems loose Sad . The n/l line on this side is quite
pronounced too and seems puffy. Can anyone help with any advice? I would be very grateful. Question
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Pie, if you read the last couple of pages in this thread, you'll see that your question was just addressed. Smile

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks immocolata Smile . Yes I have read the previous posts. I just wondered if anyone had problem with one n/l fold being puffed up sort of higher than the level of the cheek? I am feeling a bit self conscious about it, as it looks quite pronounced.
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pie, sorry for the delay in replying. Puffiness, wonkiness, bit of sag, all are temporary conditions which mean you're perhaps overtraining a little. If you cut back to once per week, or even stop if the issue is giving you a lot of concern, you'll be sorted out, smooth and glowing in no time Smile

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you otherloulou. I will give it a rest for
a while. Smile
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Pie, I'm glad you're having a rest. As well as giving your face time to adjust to its new shape, you can really see your good changes at their best when your face is well rested. You can see yours already, so I hope you'll be in for a lovely surprise.

Loulou xx

5% products discount

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Loulou

I have had some great results from your program. However, one side of my face has pulled up more quickly which means that the hollows are going, my naso-libial lines are diminished and my marionnet lines going too.

Is there anything I can do to rebalance the difference? Someone suggested here that it may be because the side that has changed the quickest is being grasped by my dominant hand.

Do you think that I should cut down the reps on the side that has improved the most to say 15 and keep to 20 on the other side?

Best wishes

Silver
otherloulou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Dear Silver, so sorry for the late reply; here it is at last!

When people have this issue I suggest just thinking about the weaker side when you do your exercises. Deb Crowley gave me this advice years ago and it seems to work better than adjusting reps, trying to squeeze harder, etc.

The only thing I could add is that it's worth looking at how you're sleeping. There's nothing wrong with sleeping on your side, I haven't managed to get back on my back for 19 years since I learned to sleep on my side when pregnant, but you can wake up looking a bit squashed/creased on the side you lie on. If you check your face in the mirror in the morning, bear in mind that this kind of asymmetry disappears during the day.

Anyway, maybe you've evened up by now. Hope so.

Loulou Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Could someone please explain the difference between the book and the dvd? Do I need both or just one? Thanks so much, I'm chuffed by the results I've seen in this thread!
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
You could get by with one or the other, but if you can only get one, get the DVD.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Funnily enough I would say, get the book! I found there was more detail and explaination. It has illustrations of the muscles, which I found useful to visualise what is happening, and an interesting discourse about faces. I usually prefer video, but with this also I can just get to the exercise section I want but read the text again if I want to, from the page numbers, without having to fast forward and then back a bit!!
I'm sure you'll be able to follow the exercises whichever one you choose!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 1:41 am      Reply with quote
To add to the confusion Cool, I would say get the DVD/Download Video.
I have both but I only read through the book in the beginning whereas I still do the exercises using the video (most of the time, that is). I started about 2 months ago. When I do the exercises without video, it actually takes me longer.
little vase
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Too funny. My mind is just as unmade up as it was before I asked. Laughing Thank you for the comments, I will process them again and see if they help!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |