Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Burn from retinoids
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have scalded myself! That is exactly what it looks like..please help me if you've had this problem!
I overused my retinoid (Green Cream) and now am left with a dry, red, cracked, painful face. Everything stings and all I have been able to use is Vaseline petroleum jelly, which isn't the loveliest....anyone have any ideas what I can do til and while this all peels off??

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Blargh fawnie, I'm right there with you! I was an idiot and thought I could still stay on my regular tazorac schedule, even though we are experiencing a cold snap here in Boston with really brutal, drying winds. As a result, I ended up with a problem very similar to yours. For the initial stage I would recommend getting your hands on some Brave Soldier Antiseptic Healing Ointment ASAP:
http://www.skinstore.com/p-2026-brave-soldier-antiseptic-healing-ointment.aspx

The texture is very similar to Vaseline (petroleum jelly is the first ingredient), but it also has a little lidocaine to take the sting out of your face, and ingredients to help re-hydrate your skin and heal things up more quickly such as macadamia nut oil, aloe vera gel, etc. I swear by this stuff--- it is VERY healing. If you are having trouble getting your hands on this stuff and/or you don't want to wait for it to come in the mail (although I'd really recommend going ahead and getting some for emergencies), the next best thing is Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment. Again, texture is going to be similar to vaseline (no petro in this one though), but it's very soothing and healing, and also helps re-hydrate since it contains olive oil, cocoa butter, etc.

Once you get yourself past this initial cracking, painful phase, you can start to move up to leaving the ointment off during the day, and using it only at night. During the day I like to use Arcona's Hydrating Serum first (very basic, non-irritating hydrating serum full of healing honey), then layer on your regular moisturizer IF it is basic with NO actives (I use Zenbiotic's Phyto Moisture and Moisture Enrich), and then seal everything in with Arcona's Chamomile Balm on any and all rough spots. (Arcona's Chamomile Balm has been another life saver--- it has healed up my poor face in a hurry!) I then re-apply Phyto Moisture and Chamomile Balm as needed through out the day.

You probably already know this, but definitely stop all exfoliation and actives until your skin has recovered. It's taken me a couple of weeks to get my skin to completely heal, so hang in there and take it one step at a time. It's also helped me to use John Masters Organics Hydrating Mask in the shower---- I wash my face as soon as I get in the shower, then I gently massage the mask on and rinse it off before I get out of the shower. Don't try anything like this though until your skin has healed a bit more. Hang in there Fawnie--- things will get better!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Ouch!

If you can get ahold of zinc powder (I bought some from garden of wisdom, but you need relief asap) you can mix it with the vaseline for a zinc paste/ointment. Finally, some diaper rash creams have really have % of zinc oxide, so you can get try to get one of those. Have you tried using the keys sunscreen- I hope it didn't sting...

Also, how about an aloe vera and honey mask? Or just honey, honey should calm the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
I 2nd the diaper rash cream or Aquaphor.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Try some liquid Maalox on a cotton ball, it's great for reducing the inflamation...Even more soothing when refrigerated!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I love that Key's sunscreen, although I dont use it for the sun. I use it as a recovery moisturizer. NOTHING I have every used compares. But diaper rash cream should be similar. Basically you want Zinc Oxide in a very non irritating base. It will help with the redness.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
thanks guys....I actually do have some of the things you all recommended: honey and Keys....so I slapped on some Keys and it does feel better....going to do a honey mask and order some of the other things now...thank you so very much! Oh! yes liz! I forgot I had some ZB phyto left....good idea!
I just wasn't ready for this brutal midwestern cold and wind!! It peeled the hide right off my widdle face! brrrrr Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
In addition to all your great help, I did find this article, posted previously by another EDS member, which does recommend an ointment of cod liver oil and zinc oxide (baby butt paste) after peels to help with re-epitheliazation: http://janssenbeauty.com/us/skincare.html#9.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I would just apply Emu Oil - its supposed to be wonderful for burns. Very recently, I was a little too over zealous with my Lactic Acid and I also burnt my face - Emu Oil fixed it in no time.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I would just apply Emu Oil - its supposed to be wonderful for burns. Very recently, I was a little too over zealous with my Lactic Acid and I also burnt my face - Emu Oil fixed it in no time.

Same here...emu oil has great anti-inflammatory properties and definitely helped heal my skin when I overdid it with the Retin A/Nu Derm protocol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
thanks keliu and bethany....I do have some emu oil!! I'll give that a try too! Good thing DH is not home tonite....I look like a piece of greasy fried chicken!! nom nom

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Emu oil sounds interesting. I wonder if it would make pores bigger though.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:20 am      Reply with quote
How about an update Fawnie--- how are things looking? Thankfully, my skin is just about back to normal now, just slightly drier and flakier than usual but that's something I can totally deal with. Just in time for all the holiday pictures too! Hope your skin is healing up nicely too--- hang in there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:34 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I have scalded myself! That is exactly what it looks like..please help me if you've had this problem!
I overused my retinoid (Green Cream) and now am left with a dry, red, cracked, painful face. Everything stings and all I have been able to use is Vaseline petroleum jelly, which isn't the loveliest....anyone have any ideas what I can do til and while this all peels off??
Oh brother Fawnie! I would just stay with the Vaseline and use NOTHING else. Everyone has their own opinions. In this case gentle skin care at the moment is what you need. So Cetaphil cleanser and a light coating of your vaseline for the next 2-3 weeks should do the trick.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
thanks liz, I still have rough skin but not as tight. The peeling is minimal, but I wish it would get over & done with!

I put some hyaluronic acid on over my ZB phyto moisture, then the emu oil, then some Keys sunblock. I put my MATIS eye/lip mask over that frequently during the day.
I found that my foundation, MakeUp Forever HD, does do a pretty decent job of toning down the redness and locks in some moisture too.

At night the emu oil alone is helping.
I ordered some Arcona Hydrating Serum for the future, thanks! grrr I hope I don't do that again! thanks for the advice and follow-up!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |