Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What are the signs of over exfoliation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Aside from just clearly red raw skin, what are some signs of over exfoliation.

Thanks
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote
For me that would be increased sensitivity, redness, dryness. My skin when over exfoliated becomes swollen and start to flake.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Malishka
Oh I hope it didn't happen to you! Cuz it just did to me...I overused my retinoid product, but got some great advice from the ladies here: Baby diaper ointment containing cod liver oil + zinc oxide, Maalox, Zenbiotic moisture products, Arcona hydrating serum, Burt's Bees resQ balm, Aquaphor ointment, and emu oil. A gentle cleanser and no acids til it heals. Anything to seal in some moisture while it eventually peels off. Hope this helps you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
large pores, lines (due to dryness...they go away), uneven skin tone etc.

just let your skin calm down for about a week.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
For me, overexfoliation seems to lead to increased redness, sensitivity, irritation (with a feeling like a sunburn) and, afterwards, my skin seems to get a bit more wrinkly... (Just temporary, though - until the trauma subsides...) Embarassed
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Yep i did it!

Dam it, too many new products all in one week that i just HAD TO TRY!

First the epidermx.

The next day the clarisonic arrived along with the Professional grade Micro Polish from Skinceuticals .

And all of this went on my face when it arrrived, and i even used the calirosnic twice in one day because it feels nice.

My skin feels very tight, oddly red... very smooth .. and sort of just awkward

I am not very happy, no matter how much moisturizer i seem to put on it feels tight and dry .. i also got some weird scaly patches. Sad
essq2w3e4r
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
After a mini peel from the spa, I did the aspirin mask the next day.
My DH noticed my skin was super shiny. Of course coming from him, it sounded like a compliment, but i just felt a little weird.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Malishka31 wrote:
Aside from just clearly red raw skin, what are some signs of over exfoliation.

Thanks

- Burning/tingling especially around eyes, when you apply a topical (other than pure oil)

- Shiny skin that's on the verge of being trasparent

- A tightness that doesn't go away an hour after cleansing, when your PH has normalized

And of course the red, raw skin you mentioned.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Malishka31 wrote:
Yep i did it! I am not very happy, no matter how much moisturizer i seem to put on it feels tight and dry .. i also got some weird scaly patches. Sad

Try laying off everything till your skin barrier gets back to normal.

I know I sound like a broken record with what I'm going to say next, but tuff .. Laughing Laughing Get yourself some cold pressed Avocado Oil, and just apply a gentle film A.M. + P.M. It's loaded with lots of nourishing goodies, that will help repair any damage, and promote skin turnover very naturally.. (Squalane is very soothing as well, and you could mix the two.)

Moisturizer can be a double edged sword, and actually cause a dependency... You'll find if you get your skin normal and healthy, you won't need it altogether.

Also go for a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil, that won't strip the natural oils like it's detergent counterparts.

It might be good for you to not use the Clarisonic more than every other day, and only do a quickie with it.. You might also benefit from using the OCM in your routine also. (Several threads are floating around about it!)

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
what is OCM

I knew i was going to over do it anyways, i just HAD to try everything.

I have been just applying the Decleor rose oil and using decleor cleansing milk, which feels really good relative to anything you wash off
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Malishka31 wrote:
what is OCM

OCM stands for 'oil cleansing method'.. You can use various cold pressed oils, i.e. castor, olive, avocado to cleanse your skin.. Apply, massage, + remove..

It's very gentle and effective. Some folks find it makes them congested, but for the very dry skin you're dealing with, it may be just the thing. Lots of gals here really love it!

There are tons of threads if you do a search. Here's a couple of older threads, but lots of good info is in them; (If you do a search there are a gazillion more, including the not so good reviews..

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8539&highlight=oil+cleansing+method

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9717&highlight=oil+cleansing+method

amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Some of the signs include sensitivity, redness, dryness, wrinkles looking worse (temporary), skin that can't tolerate many products. You might see scratches where you exfoliated too hard. There could be scarring in really bad situations.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
How are you doin Malishka?? we're probably in the same boat about now....rough and dry! What is working for you?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Red, feel painful for everything, and sometimes you could even see that.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
For me, redness, shiny almost plasticky looking skin, dryness and extra sensitivity to touch. Oh, and stinging when I use almost any product other than a bland oil.

Hope you feel better soon.
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using decleor cleansing milk and rose oil and everything has improved tremedisouly.

The over exfoliated feeling lasted only a couple of days but right now my skin feels great.

My only complaint right now would be my skin tone, it is still very rosey red, especially when i go outside in the cold weather .
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
UGGG i think it happend again.

It is like EVERYTHING is too rough to be used as often as stated. Mad

My skin appears to be much worse than when i started really taking care of my skin.

Not happy!

It feels smooth but looks awful.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you are going through. I used to be much too harsh with my skin. I would use 30% glycolic peels, retin A, I would do a peel then put on 2 layers of different ingredients some of which had fragrances, and all the while, my sunscreen wasn't stable even! (I didn't know about sunscreens and just assumed they would be fine). Now I am much more aware and realize that pain and suffering is not necessary and more is not always better. Now I am much more gentle with my skin, and I wont touch do it yourself glycolic peels anymore. I really didnt see many results anyway. They made my skin look perfect but it only lasted a couple days. Not worth potentially damaging my skin. Now I dont use manual exfoliants anymore. I can either do manual or chemical exfoliation, and I choose chemical. I really feel its more than enough for me.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Malishka31, put everything down and back away slowly. (joke) But seriously, stop everything you're doing. You hit your skin too hard, too fast. Never add too many things to your routine all at once. If you were to have a reaction you wouldn't know which product caused it and your skin really can't take that kind of abuse anyway.

First off, continue to use a very gentle cleansing milk or OCM without castor oil (olive oil is good, but use sparingly) once a day in the evening to help cleanse your skin of the day's grime. In the morning only rinse your skin with tepid water...no washcloth!

Second, you mentioned rose oil. I hope you meant rosehip seed oil. It is the most healing of all oils. Use it sparingly twice a day.

Third, foundation is not your friend right at this moment. Yes, I know there are good ones on the market but, for now, you must do without. If you have a light powder (preferably mineral-based), use that to help even your skin tone when you go out. Use it sparingly, too!

This is going to take time, sweetie. Treat your skin very gently for several weeks, possibly up to 4. It make LOOK healed before it really is.

Hope this helps.

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
You know what is really great, along with rosehip seed oil like was just mentioned? I like the Avene eau thermal spray. It really calms soothes and makes my skin heal faster. Once i popped a pimple and it was all red and gross. After a couple hours of spraying the eau thermal on it, the redness was gone and the healing was well on its way. I was impressed.

I think you would be surprised how well it works if you spray it all over your face 2 times a day.
nekosen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Ur skin will get thin and is easily sensitive to the climates or other things.
Malishka31
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Luckily I dont wear make up because I am home with my baby most of the time and if i go out to the supermarket or for a walk i dont wear make up anyways in most cases, no reason.

I meant Decleors Rose D'orient Oil.

It is hard for me to lay off the prdocuts because i feel quilty if i dont use them becuase i spend so much money on them. But hopefully if i stop everything it will recover.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Once your skin has healed, you can use them again...but use them gently one at a time. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
sensitive, red, and dry.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
i've had the same experience of my face being much much better with just the simple natural regime i was using for many years..before i started focusing on how to 'improve' it.

what has worked wonders for me when my face is over exfoliated..or over 'anything'..is botanically active oils like rosehip seed oil, with just a bit of tamanu oil, and hemp seed oil or borage oil (these can be purchased as intensely rich and potent organic oils at mountainroseherbs.com at wholesale prices for volumes as small as 8 oz's)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |