Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi-How long does the redness and peeling last?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kayres

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Today is my 5th day on the Obagi system. I am wondering how long my face will be red and peel. Based on my skin profile, can anyone tell me how long they think it will last?

I am half-Asian, half-Caucasian and my skin type is normal/combination. I have medium to fair complexion. I started the Obagi Condition and Enhance system on the recommendation of my doctor because I have freckles, a few sun spots, and some fine lines around my eyes and mouth that I wanted to get rid of. I am 31 years old. I have never had a problem with acne so I don't have any acne scars or the like.

I have been peeling like crazy the last two days. My entire face is flaking. I feel like an iguana shedding its skin.

Any idea how long a person with my skin condition will peel? I can deal with the redness and itching but the peeling is driving me crazy! Especially because I have a job where I have to be in public every day. I can't hide away in my office. Just want to know how long the tunnel is before I see the light!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kayres,

Welcome to the Obagi (peeling!) Club... I'm on my fifth (at least I think it's my fifth - I forget!) week - and I'm still peeling too. But, I'm pushing my skin a bit and doing the aggressive/moderate regimen... I'm attaching some links that I've found helpful in determining the right regimen for me (but, I work from home, so I'm definitely able to deal with the peeling a bit easier - and can hide when it's really bad!)

The peeling is definitely worst at the very beginning - and I found that the first two weeks were very "peely"... But, I learned that I can back off on applying the products (esp. Exfoderm) on the places where the peeling/redness was the worst until they calm down a bit. I either avoid those areas - or just apply lightly - and use a moist washcloth to wipe the majority of the product off.

I know it's frustrating and a bit horrifying to be peeling so much - but if it helps at all, it means that your skin is definitely improving and working to remodel itself...

Cheers, and hope this helps!

This link will tell you what you might expect during each phase: http://www.obagisale.com/q4.php

This link will tell you the differences between protocols: http://www.obagisale.com/q6.php

This link will allow you to input your particular profile - and will then generate a PDF protocol specifically tailored for you: http://www.obagisale.com/q7.php

In any case - you can always "tone" things down - by lessening the amounts you use with each step. You'll then find you may peel less - and show less redness. This won't stop the process - but may delay your results a bit. But, don't worry - you'll still get results - it just may take a bit longer, is all...

As for how long you will peel - it really isn't something that I think anyone on this forum can judge from afar. It all depends on the prior condition of your skin - how much product you're using - and so on...

You can also use some additional products to help minimize the peeling and redness. Obagi Nu Derm Action is supposed to be a moisturizing product that helps to alleviate the dryness or sensitivity that sometimes occurs at the beginning of treatment. According to Obagi - "As you continue the system, your skin will become healthier and in less need of control agents. Obagi Action should be used sparingly only when your skin is uncomfortably dry. Can be used to cut strength of Exfoderm. Apply Tolereen (a hydrocortisone lotion) whenever needed in the areas where you experience itching, burning, or redness. Note: Control agents should only be used temporarily and sparingly, as they slow down the skin restoration process."

"Use moisturizers and eye cream as needed to reduce skin reaction, irritation, and give more comfort. Keep in mind that frequent use will slow the correction and stimulation process. Comfort Gel can also be used to suppress irritation and sensitivity as it has .5% hydrocortisone. Use as needed for itching and redness. It is common and a positive sign to experience changes in your skin when you begin using the program. Some changes you may experience are redness, exfoliation, dryness, itching, burning, sensitivity, swelling and tightness. The degree of these changes will be dependent on the program chosen e.g. the amount and frequency of Retin-A used."
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
You can also use some additional products to help minimize the peeling and redness. Obagi Nu Derm Action is supposed to be a moisturizing product that helps to alleviate the dryness or sensitivity that sometimes occurs at the beginning of treatment. According to Obagi - "As you continue the system, your skin will become healthier and in less need of control agents. Obagi Action should be used sparingly only when your skin is uncomfortably dry. Can be used to cut strength of Exfoderm. Apply Tolereen (a hydrocortisone lotion) whenever needed in the areas where you experience itching, burning, or redness. Note: Control agents should only be used temporarily and sparingly, as they slow down the skin restoration process."

I just had to pipe in on the Nu Derm Action and Tolereen...I bought both of them, and have not been impressed with either. They both actually made my face sting Embarassed which was not the result I was going for.

I ended up using Neosporin or Aquaphor on any raw spots...much cheaper and they felt better!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I just had to pipe in on the Nu Derm Action and Tolereen...I bought both of them, and have not been impressed with either. They both actually made my face sting Embarassed which was not the result I was going for.

I ended up using Neosporin or Aquaphor on any raw spots...much cheaper and they felt better!

Hiya Bethany < waves "hi" to Bethany! >

Thanks for your excellent input. I haven't used either the Action or Tolereen ('cause EDS doesn't sell 'em) - so it's good to hear from someone who has used them. (Sorry, Kayres for the bad advice! Embarassed)

As for me, I've had good success with using Dermabase Cream (the cream that my dermatologist had me buy for post-Fraxel - and that I secretly think is just Crisco shortening in a fancy jar...) for both the peeling and irritation. I think any nice, neutral moisturizer with minimal additives might help.

Best of luck with your Obagi adventures, Kayres!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Hiya Bethany < waves "hi" to Bethany! >

Thanks for your excellent input. I haven't used either the Action or Tolereen ('cause EDS doesn't sell 'em) - so it's good to hear from someone who has used them. (Sorry, Kayres for the bad advice! Embarassed)

I sure wouldn't call it bad advice! I read the same stuff, and ordered myself up 2 bottles of each because I figured I would need them. I did need them, but hated them, lol.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Tao and Bethany!

I think I will be able to use this holiday weekend to hide away as I shed my skin!

Based on what you said, the amount of Exfoderm I use will regulate the amount of peeling I have? I am using 1/2 gram per day but I think I will decrease it somewhat on the days it gets really bad.

Do any of the other applications I use cause the peeling? (Clear, Blender w/ Tretinoin). I am using a 1/2 gram of each of those daily as instructed. Which one causes the redness? My face is a red as a tomato so I would like to know which step I need to regulate when I get too red.

Thanks so much and have a great holiday!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
kayres wrote:

Do any of the other applications I use cause the peeling? (Clear, Blender w/ Tretinoin). I am using a 1/2 gram of each of those daily as instructed. Which one causes the redness? My face is a red as a tomato so I would like to know which step I need to regulate when I get too red.

Hi Kayres,

You're very welcome for whatever information that you might find helpful! Wink

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe that the products work as follows:

Toner - Helps to normalize skin pH and make it receptive to following products.

Clear - Is the main bleaching product in the Nu Derm line. Contains Hydroquinone (depending on which product you're using - it may not - but if it's the regular Clear - then it does... (if that makes any sense.) Hydroquinone shouldn't really cause too much redness or peeling.

Exfoderm - Is an exfoliating lotion - which, after application - causes the skin to turn over more rapidly. Contains phytic acid (if it's the "regular" Exfoderm.

Blender - Is meant to work in conjunction with tretinoin. Works to stimulate the skin - and to blend pigmentation more evenly. Contains Hydroquinone. The tretinoin (or Retin-A) can cause redness and peeling - esp. if you have never used it before. You can obtain tretinoin in .01%, .05% and 0.1% strengths. You may find that the current percentage strength you're using is too strong - in which case you can scale back a bit. However, it will slow down the process of cell turnover and regeneration.

Sunfader - Is meant to be a sunscreen of 15 SPF combined with Hydroquinone. It does seem that many people on this forum have experienced some stinging and irritation when using this product. It works for me - but I do notice that it does sting. Maybe you could find another sunscreen to use in the interim until your skin calms down a bit.

Of the above - I think you should check the percentage of the tretinoin - and/or, perhaps decrease the amount you use for a bit. Exfoderm seems to cause most of the peeling - but the tretinoin could also be responsible. Perhaps experiment with omitting Sunfader for a bit - just until things calm down? (But, definitely use another sunscreen as the Obagi does make you more sun sensitive)

Hope this helps!
MollyP

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hello All,

I started experiencing slight burning and itching within the first 2 days. And beginning on the 4 and 5 days I am peeling around my lower jaw area by the mouth. My boss came to me today and asked very bluntly what is wrong with your face. (Talk about being discreet). Anyway not that she should be totally into my personal business I told her that it was a reaction that I am having with the sun! She brought it and that's all that matters. But this is a tough deal when I am at work and in front of people all day. I find myself using lotion to help rid of some of the peeling. I am African American and goodness does the peeled skin look horrible. I guess no matter what the skin tone, peeling skin is a hard look period!

But in reading these other posts, this is to be expected. The things we women go through to look, in the words of Blanch Deaveaux from the Golden Girls, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!!!!!
zhoushuhappy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:39 am      Reply with quote
i think it will lat for almost a month,and at least 2 weeks pls. don;t worry it is a normal complexion.

how about your face now? the peel disappear?
Fla_mom

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 am      Reply with quote
I know this thread is super old, but it seems most people have the same questions about Nu Derm so I figured I'd share my experiences.

I'm on week 9 and still peeling. i also have intermittent days of really red and peely and fairly calm and normalized. I am using an aggressive regimen - Exfoderm Forte and 0.1% tretinoin daily and have been since the beginning.

In my 9 weeks, I've only skipped 2 nights of the routine due to soreness/dryness while traveling.

It seems at the week 6-7 mark (end of first skin cycle), my skin normalized. Now that I'm midway through 2nd skin cycle, I've hit the red peeling stage again. I assume that's because I've started to take off last cycle's freshly surfaced skin.

This is all part of the process. Aside from the peelies, my skin does look better underneath it all. Stick with it - unless you think you're having an allergic or unusual reaction. I can tell you, though, there are some very uncomfortable days.
jennifere

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add my experience if it helps anyone.

The first 3 days I used Obagi I was fine. Days 4, 5 and 6 were excruciating. I need to mention that all the products were white in color except the exfoderm which was clear, like a serum.

My face was so red and painful I called my dermostologist who sad to skip the Refissa every other day. I skipped one and when I put on the exfoderm the next day a few globs of white came out. After shaking up the bottle vigorously, the product came out white. After that my face was still red and peeling but did not sting and hurt so bad. I think the exfoderm had separated and I'm guessing I was applying pure chemical to my face.

I am starting week 5 tomorrow and my face is still peeling around my mouth and chin and a little around my eyes. But it is way less than it was. No stinging or pain and the redness has gone away considerably.

I can see the color of my skin has already cahnged! I am definitely sticking with it.
Luciemichelle

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:12 am      Reply with quote
jennifere,

Hi, how are you getting on? I'm quite far behind you on the system (day 5) MY GOD IM IN PAIN!!!! my face from the 2nd day has been peeling, but from the 5th, I've had red patched and now sores Sad I think Im gonna hold off on the blender + tret tonight!

How is your face now? and if any, how long did your pain last?!!?

If anyone has any advise on how to ease the pain, peeling Im not too fussed about, it does look nasty though...Can I use my usual moisturiser on it? (no7 boots lift and luminate)Im not sure if I should just bite the bullet and take the pain, but running around after my one year old even hurts!!!

Please can anyone help my FACE PAIN!!! lol I cant wait to be the one on the other side of the system telling people to keep with it!!!!
Lroche101

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I'm quite new to this forum and the whole obagi system as well.

Well, I've been thinking of using the obagi system to even out my skin tone and hopefully lighten my freckles, but I'm not sure which system would be good to start with. I don't have major acne problems but a lot of freckles.

Any advices?
Honggie

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Luciemichelle wrote:
I'm quite far behind you on the system (day 5) MY GOD IM IN PAIN!!!! my face from the 2nd day has been peeling, but from the 5th, I've had red patched and now sores Sad

I am on Day 5 today and have had exactly the same experience. I am in pain and my skin peels off badly! Every time I take a shower, it's >2X as long, as I spend the majority of the time trying to rub the dead skin off my face, since the instruction booklet says to not use a towel to rub off the dead skin, which frankly, I think would be a lot faster. This evening, it is the worst, SHEETS of dead skin came off! I was horrified when this happened while I was removing makeup (which I desperately needed as there are dry and red patches all over my skin). After getting out of the shower, I was again horrified - my face was as red as a ripe tomato and painful to the touch. I've been trying to hold on to the Obagi routine since Day 2, when dryness, redness, and itch all reported to work, but tonight I did not need a dermatologist to tell me that I need to give my face a break. It feels like someone used a razor to remove a thing layer off my face and exposed all the nerve endings! I slathered on a layer of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and will see if it delivers any magic, as I have a couple of public appearances tomorrow. That said, I am planning on skipping tomorrow morning as well and maybe a maximum of two days to see if the peeling will stop and the skin recovers a bit.

I also found the link to the personalized program that the second post in this forum (from Taobunny) to be extremely insightful. I will scale back to the gradual program when I restart.

Has anyone else had such bad reaction? How did you deal with it? After reading the posts, I am not going to bother with Action or Tolereen, as I didn't believe they would do much to start with from reading the ingredients of these products.
notsobad

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I am going out of town for the weekend. Is there anything that will make me not so red and peeling? I look like I have been burned in the sun. Has anyone ever considered using a medical mask, because I will be out all day with no chance to pull the peeled skin off. HELP. Went out of town last weekend and when I passed a mirror, thought I would DIE!Had to go to the car to clean myself up a bit. I had NEVEr peeled that badly before.

Please, I have been doing this for 12 weeks and look TERRIBLE!Can I just take one three day weekend off?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 am      Reply with quote
notsobad: If it is too much redness/peeling, I suggest that you use half of what you are using right now OR you can use Obagi Nuderm Action Moisturizer. This cream will slow down the peeling process and has formulation to soothe redness, chapping, dryness and will bring relief to dry skin.

Also, don't forget your sunscreen! It is so important while you are on this Obagi regimen. Good luck! Smile
DS

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have read so many people has redness on the face after using the product, I am just the opposite. There is totally no reaction on my face. Can anyone tell me why this one is not working for me?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:37 am      Reply with quote
What product name(s) did you actually use and for how long?

DS wrote:
I have read so many people has redness on the face after using the product, I am just the opposite. There is totally no reaction on my face. Can anyone tell me why this one is not working for me?
Osan

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm on the system day 10 and in terrible pain!!! my face from the 2nd day has been peeling, but from the 3rd, I've had red patches, peeling and now sore. I'm Hispanic 49 and looking to minimize some wrinkles. I would like to ask how more longer, but I know I'm having few more weeks ahead. The worst part is around my mouse and jaw. Any comment that help my beauty journey. Sad
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to this forum, Osan Smile If you are experiencing too much of peeling, I suggest you use half of what you are using right now and instead of everyday application, you may want to use it every other day. I think you are using too much... Let you skin adapts to it....
jennifer35mm

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 am      Reply with quote
So seriously.. this peeling, tightness, redness and itchiness is freaking awful. I can't even open my mouth without the corners of my lips cracking. Do I really have 17.1825 more weeks of this torture? I know that I will start to see some great results by week 6, but the thought of dealing with this forever is killing me. After this regimen plus my regular botox regime I better look like a freaking 20 year old. Smile
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to this forum, jennifer35mm Smile I think using Obagi products will make our skin "healthy", not necessarily as a 20-year-old... This goal is unrealistic as having healthy skin takes a lot of effort and time.... Whatever we do to take care of our skin, it is cumulative over time.....To diminish peeling/flakiness, use a microfibre when washing your skin with Obagi Foaming Gel. If you are cracking around the mouth, I would suggest that you apply a little bit of Argan oil as it will rid of this and moisturize your skin better. Once your skin adapts to the Obagi regimen, there will be less discomfort... I also suggest that you cut the dosage in half so as not to "shock" the skin so much so you will have less peeling & dryness... Also, it is wise to use a sunscreen all the time with an SPF or at least 30.... Good luck! Smile
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
notsobad: If it is too much redness/peeling, I suggest that you use half of what you are using right now OR you can use Obagi Nuderm Action Moisturizer. This cream will slow down the peeling process and has formulation to soothe redness, chapping, dryness and will bring relief to dry skin.

Also, don't forget your sunscreen! It is so important while you are on this Obagi regimen. Good luck! Smile

Alternatively, you can use any drugstore hydrocortisone cream. For example, Walmart sells it for $3.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Actually, to address dryness of the skin while using Obagi products... Alternative to Obagi Action Moisturizer would be to use any type of oil, say Argan oil or Vitamin E oil. These type of oils help hydrate and diminish dryness/flakiness of the skin... A more natural option....
Bellastella
5% products discount

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I have a quick question, I just hope someone would guide me. I have clear skin, no sun spots, just some fine lines around my eyes (crows feet, and one more than the other LOL) and some lines on my forehead...
Now, can I just use Retin A that I can buy from anywhere else? Maybe form obagi maybe from a pharmacy...what is the difference? In my country it is easy to get Retin A.

Whats so special about the obagi range? Do you really need to get the cleanser and toner, clear and everything else or, in my case, I could benefit with a natural cleanser and toner, vit C Serum and / or Retin A?
Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |