Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Are masks really necessary?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
As titled. There're many eye or facial masks out there that claim to do this and that but are they really necessary or work? I mean if you got a good and effective eye or face cream, then what's the point of using masks?

Or I haven't come across a mask that makes a significant difference yet? Confused
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've only found two masks that have made a difference on my skin. The Clay-Neem Treatment by Earth to Body (amazing deep cleansing mask) and Aloette's Skin Renewal Mud Masque (great for hydration...and those annoying dry patches).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I like using a face mask once in a while. Im looking for a moisturizing mask that isnt too oily that wont make my pores look big! Clay masks irritate my retin A treated skin.
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
If you just want to be simple, DIY water mask with tonic lotion or mineral water.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
i used to think clay masks were absolutely essential to be regularly used to keep oily skin clear. since i started differin and azalex, i find that simply massaging the skin every night in the shower (following lymph drainage patterns) is sufficient to remove all skin build up. for a product like a mask which is left on for only minutes, no amount of ingredients can really give an effect other than something transient.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yiying wrote:
If you just want to be simple, DIY water mask with tonic lotion or mineral water.

Hey so how do I make it? do you just mean water? how is it a mask? Sorry i am confused Laughing
WinnieHo
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
I do like to use mask.I have many masks,whitening,firming,moisturizing...I think mask is a product of emergency and reinforcement. Smile
Yiying
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
Yiying wrote:

Hey so how do I make it? do you just mean water? how is it a mask? Sorry i am confused Laughing

I use facial cotton puffs soaking tonic water and put them on my face for 10 minutes. It's moisturizing.If you want it more whitening or anti-aging,use whitening or anti-aging tonic water. If you want to save money, mineral water is also ok for just moisturizing.

Some brands have mask sheet for doing water mask,such as kose or kanebo mask sheet.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
i used to think clay masks were absolutely essential to be regularly used to keep oily skin clear. since i started differin and azalex, i find that simply massaging the skin every night in the shower (following lymph drainage patterns) is sufficient to remove all skin build up. for a product like a mask which is left on for only minutes, no amount of ingredients can really give an effect other than something transient.

miranets, can u elaborate more on this "following lymph drainage patterns" thingy? I'm interested! Very Happy

I used to think masks do make a difference but I feel that my skin's the same when I didn't mask for more than a month or two...so yeah...
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Yiying wrote:
amonavis wrote:
Yiying wrote:

I use facial cotton puffs soaking tonic water and put them on my face for 10 minutes. It's moisturizing.If you want it more whitening or anti-aging,use whitening or anti-aging tonic water. If you want to save money, mineral water is also ok for just moisturizing.

Some brands have mask sheet for doing water mask,such as kose or kanebo mask sheet.

Thanks for explaining. I have some Avene thermal water so i guess im already set. I do find it very calming and soothing.
starriest
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:59 am      Reply with quote
amonavis wrote:
I like using a face mask once in a while. Im looking for a moisturizing mask that isnt too oily that wont make my pores look big! Clay masks irritate my retin A treated skin.

Exactly the same for me: I like it at times "just because", but I have the same Retin A treated skin and pore concerns.

SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Mask is great for this. It comes in a tube and is a thick, clear gel-like substance. No oil at all, just super hydration.
jadecoin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I do like to use mask.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Not at all. I like masks but I don't do them in the winter.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
I think masks are only essential for those emergency beauty lift that you need before you go out.
I'm torn between Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel and Cellcosmet Anti-Stress and Precious.
cora-lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
To be short - i've never seen much of a difference from any mask i've used. I still cave in from now and then, only to realize that - at least for me - masks are not really necessary.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think masks are rarely if ever necessary. They wont make a long term difference in your skin. I like them as a refresher, say, after work, before going out. Kind of like a little spa treatment at home, to make me feel rejuvinated.
leileieve
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
sometimes works sometimes not
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking the same thing cos I bought a bunch of sheet masks and am in the process of trying out each kind/flavour to see which is the best for my skin type. But I've yet to find any that's hydrating, whitening, suitable for acne and doesnt clog pores Rolling Eyes

I do think that masks are an added benefit to your skin but not essential. Thats just my thought though, as I know some girls who SWEAR by masking every other day or so.
This is kinda like "are toners necessary" question Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
I guess even if you have an effective eye or face cream,you still need some eye or facial masks which give your skin a special care every week.
Nelly4
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think masks are more of a pampering product that may help with skin issues. I have just made a purchase of Thalgo Moisture quenching Mask and hoping it does just that but not sure if it will or not. I also love to try new products so looking forward to receiving it.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I always use lotion pack as mask. The japanese girls occasionally do it.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I think masks are more like a "pick me up" for the skin? Like one of the forum member said, when u r expecting a date or something special and u want your skin to look your best Smile

But one thing that bothers me the most is although after masking, my skin feels well hydrated but once I cleansed it off my face, my skin will feel a bit dry. So does that mean the mask is not effective enough? I mean I have to wash my face somehow...

Any cheap & effective face & eye masks out there that u ladies recommend? Something for the eye circles would be helpful although I know nothing ever works for them! Also, a well hydrating face mask that doesn't clog your pores! & finally, a deep cleansing mask that helps to unclog your pores or clear your skin... I hope this is not too much to ask for Very Happy
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
You have a good point, Stardustdy. Some masks do feel a bit dry and I'm not so sure if those are good. The only real good ones that I have tried are Valmont Renewing Pack, Cellcosmet Anti-Stress and I am going to add Precious & Juice Beauty masks, but maybe they could be drying for dry skin only.

I should correct my earlier post. Masks are essential for "pick me up" , as stated by Stardustdy.
christine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I personally think that by regularly using mask, my skin condition is maintained and actually improved. But, not all masks worked for me. I think it really depends on how your skin reacts to it.

I have quite a few of them but mostly a deep-cleansing, hydrating, whitening and a massage cream. My HG mask is NARS mud mask, I've used 6 or 7 jars already! I've also try the famous Valmont renewing pack but that didn't work out so well so I guess it depends =)
geisha707
5% products discount

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 am      Reply with quote
I think masks are EXCELLENT on well exfoliated skin!!!

Without exfoliating I don't believe the product can work it's way so well into the skin and it can also clog pores some(I speak in my case!).

Some masks can be very short lived and I see more and more state that on the product.

Having said that regular use of masks can be very beneficial....especially if u use one for your skin condition ie dry skin, spotty skin etc.

Don't forget u can use more than one mask in your DIY facial...so a hydrating one followed by a lifting or radiance one can make a lovely difference before a night out.

BUT...exfoliate exfoliate exfoliate. (although be careful if you are using a glycolic or other acid based mask or you will over do it!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |