Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

menstral cramps
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
luckylady
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
I use to not get them until I reached my mid to upper 20s. The pain just seems to get worse and worse. It's gotten to the point where I literally have to reach out and grab a hold of something to keep me from fainting. I even have the urge to vomit at times.

Am I the only person in this world who gets such bad cramps? What do you ladies do at times like these?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I used to have bad cramps, but they've gotten much more tolerable since I've started takin black currant oil. Evening primrose oil is similar, but black currant oil is more concentrated and better over all. It's all about the gamma linoleic acid. Also, it's good for the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
However, re-reading your post, if your cramps are really really bad and they didn't used to be bad, maybe you should see a doctor. They'll probably recommend birth control pills to you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have every sympathy for you! Mine are really bad, too, and I vomit, faint and get hot and cold. It's hormonal, apparently, in my case. I take Diclofenac - an anti-inflammatory and use a pain relief gel pad. It can still get pretty bad, though.

The thing is that you really should get this checked out to find out the cause. They may be able to do something to help you or even cure you.

There is a certain condition - I'm so sorry, but I've completely forgotten the name of it - which can worsen if untreated. However, they can actually do something about it. So the sooner you go, the better.

I do hope you get it sorted. It's really not fun at all.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about going to a doctor. When my cramps get really bad I have to take prescription-strength medicine to get them under control, so if your doctor does not find that they are being caused by anything out of the ordinary, he/she may at least be able to give you something to help with the pain. In the meantime, I would recommend taking advil BEFORE the cramps get really bad, and having a heating pad or some other heat element at the ready as that helps me quite a bit. My warm whiskers bunny is my constant companion when cramps are bad:
http://www.warmwhiskers.com/products/body-wraps/

5% products discount

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:07 am      Reply with quote
I have to second the heating pad! I couldn't survive that time of the month without mine! I have an electric one that shuts off automatically after 30 minutes so I can fall asleep (safely) with it on. Heatwraps are great for sleeping with also; the ones Manslayerliz posted are so cute, I might have to get one for myself.

Ibuprofen (Advil) is good and it's what most doctors will recommend, but make sure not to take it on an empty stomache or the nausea could be worse.

Hope you feel better!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I ended up with a hysterectomy because of the cramps I used to get. I was told to walk the pain out and found I couldn't move, tried the heating pad and got some relief (well add in the drugs). Turned out I had Endemetriosis and Fibroids inside and outside of the uterus. I couldn't take aspirin or any Advil type pain medication and I was working up to morphine for the pain. Try being bedridden for a week and stoned to boot (being a control freak I hated that feeling of not being myself) I gave up at about 37 and the last resort was a hysterectomy. Get yourself checked out and I'd bet you may have something that could be easy to resolve without having to go through what I did for years.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
My cramps used to be bad before I started on BC. Sodium Naproxen always worked better for me (and still does when I get mild ones), though I know they recommend ibuprofen for cramps. Abdominal massage-- massage right where it hurts. This will help move along the blood clots that are causing the cramps. Catnip tea is a very mild muscle relaxer, and your kitties will love you while you're drinking it. Heating pads never worked for me. I tended to get hot when I had cramps, so it just made me feel worse.
Chocolat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Naproxen works great, that and a heating pad saved me many times!
You could also try taking red raspberry tea or capsules, or crampbark tincture, or rubbing some magnesium oil on your abdomen. I don't know if I can post [due to new forum rules?] where you can buy magnesium oil so if you want a link, PM me. (No, I am not the seller and I don't get commissions.)
fitmama
5% products discount

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi... I'm in my late 30's and have severe cramps since I was 12. You should determine that you don't have endometriosis (sp) or fibroids... as they can both be surg. addressed. I had some small fibroids... and removing them did nothing for me...

I've taken prescription strength Naproxin Sodium Since I was a kid... You can buy it over the counter now... and it's fine to get the generic. Talk with your Dr. about dosing. I start with 2 the 2nd I feel cramps... and take another 2 if the cramps are not gone within 30 minutes...I used to vomit with mine too.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
I take a combination of B6 complex and magnesium citrate the week before my period and during my period. Getting massages help too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Endometriosis - that's the condition I was trying to think of!
luckylady
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ladies for all your replies.

I called my dr's office and her nurse told me to take some motrin. I remember mentioning to my dr some time back that I have extreme pain when it's that time of the month. I did have a ultrasound done and nothing seems be be making the pain. So I just rely on the motrin to make my few days a little more livable. Smile but my goodness, what we women have to go through!! my SO just does not understand!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I would surely discuss w/ your dr to make sure all is well.
Assuming your healthy my dr rec'd starting advil 1-2 days before your period. I will take 3 at at time every 6 hours, this works pretty well for me.
luckylady
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:39 am      Reply with quote
well, now that you guys are telling me i need to go see a dr....

i had some sonograms done. both innie and outie ultrasound/sonogram.. not sure the difference. i had this done a couple of months ago. do you guys think this is sufficient to diagnose if i have some kind of sickness or should i get a mri??

so worried now.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I feel your pain! I used to get the most terrible cramps. I often recommend "cramp bark" to my friends; it's a herb and you take it as a tincture. It's helped me big time.

I would get yourself checked out again, but don't worry. Your cycle will change throughout your life with your hormones and lifestyle. Just keep in touch with your doctor and stay on the safe side. It's always better to be pro-active than to be worried, but I know how scary it can be.

Although cramp bark has helped me, the best thing I've ever done for my cramps is changing my diet.

I don't know if this might be for you, but you might find it useful to take a look at:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/clinres/menstrual.html
http://www.pcrm.org/news/health000131_ftfp_ch.html

I'm passing it on because the people who've written these articles have helped me so much in combating my own health problems; I always want to share this information around. I hope you feel better soon Smile
ceca01
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have a similar problem although it does not hit me with the same pain intensity every month.

Sometimes I will be able to function normally for the whole cycle, other times it will just kill me and I just start screaming. It's horrible.

Unfortunately I can't take hormonal pills as I am allergic to them but I'm taking chinese herbs at the moment and am hoping for a good result. I'll keep you posted.

Also, my chinese herbalist has told me that hormons are imbalanced and that that also affects the way you cramp each month. He said that you have to balance your liver in order to balance your hormones and that that's how it works.

Since I have been taking his herbs, for the last few weeks I have noticed that my skin is becoming a little better.

I'm really hoping it works!
married gal51

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
luckylady wrote:
I use to not get them until I reached my mid to upper 20s. The pain just seems to get worse and worse. It's gotten to the point where I literally have to reach out and grab a hold of something to keep me from fainting. I even have the urge to vomit at times.

Am I the only person in this world who gets such bad cramps? What do you ladies do at times like these?

I did, but I had a hysterectomy.I don't know your age, so I wouldn't say that always is the way to go.I know primrose helps my dd, and a warm bottle on her stomach.
married gal51

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I was reading an article last night, and the girl that had severe cramps, decide on accupunture.She said this has really helped her, might be worth a try
Good luck.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 am      Reply with quote
You poor baby.. I am also a fellow sufferer of dysmenorrhea (excruciating menstral cramps) and can really feel your pain (no pun intended).

First, I agree you need to be checked by a Gyno to make sure you do not have endometriosis. If so, this can make you infertile.

I have been a sufferer since I was 12... vomiting, fainting..it was terrible when I was younger. I spent most of my youth on the pill (age 14 through 22).. then went onto medication that stopped my period altogether for 2 years, but nothing worked (though that did help with regularity)... I was in hospital twice (curette and a laperoscopy to check for endometriosis, but found nothing)

It tapered off in my mid twenties but then came back around with a vengence when I turned 30.. I also remember almost collapsing from stabbing pains whilst out shopping. All I could do was grasp the edge of the display table and pray the pain subsided soon.

I now know the drill of my cycle to a T. Massive shoulder/headache a few days before (day in bed.. useless without 2 codeine and 1 muscle relaxant taken as soon as it approaches). Day 2 of my period is extremely painful and day 3 not much better.
Then they vanish for one day, only to be following by a morning of intense abdominal pain (think hot knife being twisted inside).. followed by brief heavy bleeding and then blessed relief. If I am unlucky that is repeated the next day too. It is not that unusual for me to spend 2 days lying down as even sitting is painful.

Here are some of my hints:

1. get your hormone levels tested. Even in late 20s they start to get out of whack (yes, preparing for the future big M) and I took bio-identical hormones prepared by a compounding chemist for about a year and they really helped. It is so hard to get them in Japan so I stopped, but I am going to try and get a cream version again.

2. REDUCE STRESS. I can guarantee that my cramps will increase 150% if I am very stressed (ie have a fight with DH or freaking out about how much there is to do)... do everything in your power to relax and ask your family and friends to help keep you stress free during your period. Got a friend or family member you just cannot help but fight with? AVOID them during your period (LOL).

3. Take a warm (not too hot) epsom salt bath. There is a correct way to do this.. you need to put about 2-5lb of salts into a tub filled to 1/3 with warmish water. Then you get in and add hotter water till you fill the tub and sit and soak for about 15mins. This helps to draw toxins out.

4. I will second-or um, third, the hot pad.

I cannot recommend any pharmacy medication really for the pain.. the ONLY thing that works for me is Panadeine (paracetemol with codeine) and I am sure that is not everyone's cup of tea.

I will look into the black currant oil, as I have heard something about htat before.. but let me give you a Exclamation Exclamation BIG WARNING Exclamation Exclamation that I also posted once before in a topic similar to this:

If you also have very heavy or long periods DO NOT take Evening Primrose Oil. A side effect of Evening Primrose Oil is that it will thin the blood and this will result in a MARKEDLY increased blood flow and bleeding time.

I made that mistake myself...I had the heaviest bleeding of my entire life (I am 42 and had my first period at 11, so that is a LOT of menstral cycles)... and that level of bleeding continued for TEN DAYS. I actually went to the doctor thinking something was wrong with me.

HTH, if even a little. It might not be much comfort, but know you are not alone every month.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |