Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
TOOTHPASTE!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 am      Reply with quote
This morning I tried putting toothpaste on a damp facecloth and rubbed it on my clean nails - WOW! My normally yellow, rough and raggedy nails became white and smooth. I used cheap Ultra-Brite toothpaste which has silica and whitening compounds. I rubbed the top of the nail and squished toothpaste under the nail and rubbed it with the facecloth. Not only did it turn the nails white, it smoothed out all the gunk from the cuticles and provided a fabulous base for my clear polish. I think the little bit of silica grit provided the polishing so I'm not sure how another toothpaste would work. If nails are an issue for you try this method and let us know if it works for you.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Good post! There more uses to tooth paste then brushing teeth. Long ago I watched a program when someone was using tooth paste on sculp Shock to grow more hair!!! Anyone heard about it????
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Interesting. I am going to give that a try. I always cut or scrap off my cuticals so maybe I will try this instead. I usually scrap them of with a jacknife which just ends up tearing up my nails. Not the greatest look.
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Now that's extremely interesting! Also interesting is the fact that toothpaste commonly contains sodium lauryl sulphate as a foaming agent. That's the stuff that's often referenced as carcinogenic, by those into healthy shampoos. Not many people realize it's in toothpaste and that's why the manufacturers urge you not to swallow. I only buy health store toothpastes now, but have my brightening toothpaste sitting under the sink still...now I'll have a good use for it!
samuelfrzk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 am      Reply with quote
yes,i just noticed that in shampoo or face cleanser,there is the ingredient "sodium lauryl sulphate".
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I do not remember how exactly they toothpaste it for hair growth. I would assume it should be applied to scalp for some time, but do not know the duration. Confused
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm...I wonder if the reason that toothpaste is recommended for the scalp is the mint in it. I think there are several minty shampoos that are supposed to stimulate the scalp.

By the way, as far as I have found, there is no credible evidence that SLS is a carcinogen. It is, however, definitely an irritant, and many people find that it causes them scalp discomfort. Good enough reason for many to avoid it.
tuna
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:01 am      Reply with quote
samuelfrzk wrote:
yes,i just noticed that in shampoo or face cleanser,there is the ingredient "sodium lauryl sulphate".

it's really bad to our hair and face, just for foaming, I don't understand why almost all manufacturers still add this ingredient into their products.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:20 am      Reply with quote
That makes so much sense. Teeth and nails are basically made out of the same thing. No wonder toothpaste works so well. Good work gang! Wink
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't heard of toothpaste being used on people's hair before, but I have heard of people rinsing their hair with mouthwash.

It's apparently good for dandruff, "smelly" scalps and extra shine.

Quote:
You already knew that mouthwash keeps your teeth cleaner, your breath fresher and is a common morning courtesy if you sleep with a partner. But did you know that it is also a fantastic hair treatment? A mouthwash rinse will immediately add shine and gleam to your hair, even if you do not have time for a regular shower. In this article, we will discuss how to use mouthwash to keep your hair shiny.

Ehow has tips: http://www.ehow.com/how_2322628_use-mouthwash-keep-hair-shiny.html

It doesn't mention dandruff but the last time I saw a discussion on it, that was what it was emphatically recommended for.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Fox - thank you for the tip! I copied the instructions on how to use mouthwash to make hair look shiny from the web site provided by Fox, see below. Can you please tell us how to use mouthwash for dandruff? Thanks!

How to Use Mouthwash to Keep Your Hair Shiny
Step1 - Wash out the inside of the spray bottle. Even if it is new, rinse it with scalding water to remove any traces of production chemicals and dust from storage.

Step2 - Pour 1/4 cup of mouthwash and 1 cup of water into the spray bottle. You can use any type and flavor mouthwash you wish, but avoid juvenile mouthwashes as they can be sticky.

Step3 - Secure the top of the spray bottle tightly. It is important that the top does not come off or leak.

Step4 - Shake the spray bottle vigorously. This will mix the water and the mouthwash together.

Step5 - Spray the mix on your hair. Saturate it thoroughly.

Step6 - You may decide to tell all your friends where your hair got its new shine, or you may decide to keep it a deep, dark secret. You may decide to tell all your friends where your hair got its new shine, or you may decide to keep it a deep, dark secret. Style your hair as usual. Even if you did not have time to take a shower, you will see a marked increase in beauty and shine as your hair dries.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
You're welcome!

There are a few reasons why mouthwash works well for dandruff. Dandruff is aggravated by bacteria and mouthwash is (surprise!) anti-bacterial. This is why tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, certain herbs and even an aspirin hair mask helps to treat this kind of scalp condition. Alcohol-based mouthwash will work much better than one that isn't. Listerine is good.

There are probably more reasons as to why mouthwash works so well here, but these are the main ones I could find Smile

Wash your hair with shampoo as normal. Mix one part mouthwash (Listerine, for example) with two parts water. Some people leave this on their scalp for up to thirty minutes, but you don't have to. Condition your hair as normal and rinse everything out. Done!
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Fox - thank you! I used to use ACV, but eventually stopped. Mouthwash offers an interesting solution Smile
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
You'll have to report back! Smile

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things from other message boards. Alcohol can dry your hair out a bit so if that happens to you (you'd probably have to use it a few times for this to happen) just give yourself an oil treatment of some kind.

*Cough* Molasses mask. *Cough* Wink
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
Now that's extremely interesting! Also interesting is the fact that toothpaste commonly contains sodium lauryl sulphate as a foaming agent. That's the stuff that's often referenced as carcinogenic, by those into healthy shampoos. Not many people realize it's in toothpaste and that's why the manufacturers urge you not to swallow. I only buy health store toothpastes now, but have my brightening toothpaste sitting under the sink still...now I'll have a good use for it!

the reason you shouldn't swallow toothpaste is the fluoride: it can be toxic in large doses. so... it's prolly not safe to make a meal out of most "natural" toothpastes either.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 am      Reply with quote
dagnolia wrote:
Antonia wrote:

the reason you shouldn't swallow toothpaste is the fluoride: it can be toxic in large doses. so... it's prolly not safe to make a meal out of most "natural" toothpastes either.

The toothpastes I get from my health food shop are actually flouride free.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Sodium Laurel Sulfate is a detergent. It is used in many products as a surfactant to cleanse - creates the bubbles/foaming action. If you use a SLF free product it will not foam or sudse as much.

It is indeed in many toothpastes - (foaming action). But I have not heard of it as toxic per se.

Just for the record I highly endorse fluoride in Toothpaste. Fluoride is a naturally occurring ion and is crucial to allow teeth to remineralize on a daily basis. It puts a strong coating (if you will) or outer topical layer on the tooth enamel structure which protects it against the acid attack of bacteria which occurs on a daily basis. As we get older our gums recede which exposes roots at the gumline of our mouth and without the fluoride protection roots are highly susceptible to decay also.

Fluoride - just don't swallow it - very simple.

PS: Yes, I'm in dentistry.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Tom's of Maine is a good product - They offer it both with Fl- and without Fl-. And it has ADA approval. Many natural products have not been tested or researched or approved by the American Dental Association for effectiveness or any other parameters. I'm not saying I wouldn't use them - because I have. I like to try new products. Many natural companies don't have the financial resources to have their product checked out and endorses by the ADA. Therefore they might be very good and in America they have to at least make it past the FDA.
ginderella
5% products discount

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
You can also polish your silver jewelry with paste toothpaste. I don't know if the gel kind works. Just wipe on with a paper towel or whatever and rinse off. Works great in a pinch.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I would think the high alcohol content in most mouthwashes would be too drying for hair.

Fox wrote:
I haven't heard of toothpaste being used on people's hair before, but I have heard of people rinsing their hair with mouthwash.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Jeannine.
It probably would be good for dandruff though. I'd get a mouthwash with a lower alcohol %age.

Jeannine wrote:
I would think the high alcohol content in most mouthwashes would be too drying for hair.

Fox wrote:

ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting post. What made you try toothpaste on nails?
ruk1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
ginderella wrote:
You can also polish your silver jewelry with paste toothpaste. I don't know if the gel kind works. Just wipe on with a paper towel or whatever and rinse off. Works great in a pinch.

Nice to know indeed. Thanks for the tip.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:23 am      Reply with quote
sister_sweets,

Actually SLS is a detergent indeed, and there are suppositions that this product may be carcinogenic and remains in organ tissue if enters the body.

There are other natural products which will lather and create fluff, actually - Coconut oil will do just that.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
This is amazing. I'll have to try this.

How to Use Mouthwash to Keep Your Hair Shiny
Step1 - Wash out the inside of the spray bottle. Even if it is new, rinse it with scalding water to remove any traces of production chemicals and dust from storage.

Step2 - Pour 1/4 cup of mouthwash and 1 cup of water into the spray bottle. You can use any type and flavor mouthwash you wish, but avoid juvenile mouthwashes as they can be sticky.

Step3 - Secure the top of the spray bottle tightly. It is important that the top does not come off or leak.

Step4 - Shake the spray bottle vigorously. This will mix the water and the mouthwash together.

Step5 - Spray the mix on your hair. Saturate it thoroughly.

Step6 - You may decide to tell all your friends where your hair got its new shine, or you may decide to keep it a deep, dark secret. You may decide to tell all your friends where your hair got its new shine, or you may decide to keep it a deep, dark secret. Style your hair as usual. Even if you did not have time to take a shower, you will see a marked increase in beauty and shine as your hair dries.[/quote]
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |