Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Avene Emulsion SFF 50+
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56 am      Reply with quote
This is my favorite sunscreen. I have tried the Emulsion and the Cream, and I like the Emulsion. It is light, contains Pre-Tocepherol which is basically Vitamin E, as an antioxidant. The active ingredient is Tinsorb, which is arguably the most effective sunscreen agent at this time. It also contains a small amount of Zinc Oxide and Titanium Oxide. Not approved yet for use in the US (the FDA takes forever to approve sunscreens) This product can be bought online. It comes in an orange tube. If you put on a ton it can leave a subtle white cast, but not bad compared to other high protection sunscreens I have tried. It is not greasy at all. It is cheap, I buy it online from a French retailer called le guide sante for around 15 dollars plus shipping for the 50mL tube. It needs to be rubbed in well or it can ball up after a few hours. It works best when NOT layered over a bunch of other things. It looks better on my skin when I dont have much underneath it. I do use a small of antioxidant under it, which works fine. I just let it absorb first. So if you want a high protection sunscreen that is not greasy at all, give this a shot.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for this review, amonavis...is this the only SS with Tinasorb??

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
No there are definately others. Roc uses it as well. I am sure other companies do as well... Bioderma comes to mind. La Roche posay seems to prefer Mexoryl at this time. But i did an ingredient analysis of the Roc one containing Tinsorb, and it turns out they only use a very small amount of it, like 2% I think, and it mostly contains other sunscreen agents. Personally I would rather use a product that contains a higher % of Tinsorb, so I can reap the rewards since its a superior UVA filter.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks amonavis,

Does it matter do you think that it contains Tinosorb-S, rather than Tinosorb-M which was used in studies? I'm referring to the study listed by elsaanna in the SkinCare section under the "Tinosorb" thread...the very last study states that the addition of Tinosorb-M is definitely superior to ZnO, TiD2 and the other chemical SS alone.

Does Avene's SS contain the highest % Tinosorb that you've found?

I appreciate your doing the footwork for us here...always looking for more SS protection!!
fawnie

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there. It contains both types, it says right on the orange bottle. Its in french, but fortunately I speak it Wink I really highly doubt you will find higher Tinsorb protection than this. It is SPF 50 using primarily Tinsorb. But SPF 50 is the max you can have in France. It would be like a North American SPF 60 from what I read.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent! And you get it @www.leguidesante,com?? Is that it??

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I order it from there. They ship fast. Shipping is like 20 dollars. So to make it worthwhile I buy like 6 at a time. The ones I got on my last order dont expire until 2011. So it works out for me. Im pretty sure a similar sunscreen in North America would be around 25 dollar at least so it's worth it for me. At least that's how I justify my online shopping sprees which happen way too often! Very Happy
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! I looked for it there, but they only list SPF 20 now! Amonavis: did you buy it all up???????!!!!!! LOL

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
HAHA. No! I just looked it is there! Just type in Avene Emulsion in the search area. It is only 11.75 actually
samuelfrzk
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
now I use the Avene Emulsion SPF20 daily.it is ok,not oily.I tried the SPF50 in the counter,but found it too white.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
amonavis, Oh, now I see it, thanks!

How do you get around the "white effect"..? Does rubbing it in well help it to absorb better?

I use SkinCeuticals C+E ferulic and a hyaluronic acid serum in the a.m. Do you think this SS would work layered over that? My skin is normal, but in the humidity of summer it gets oilier in the T-zone, so I don't want to be an oil slick, but I need moisture. Would this work for me, or should I go for the cream version?

I really want to use this, since it looks like it's proven to be superior in preventing UVA (aging) damage, but hate to buy it sight unseen and have it not work with my routine. So I'm hoping you can help me sort it out beforehand. Thanks for any help!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:28 am      Reply with quote
The creamy version is very creamy. It is best for winter. If summer is humid where you are, emulsion is better. I dont have a problem with a white cast. I dont use too much, I make sure my serum is absorbed. You could always buy both and see which one you like. It works best on a slightly moist skin. I have put it on my skin over another moisturizer and that is when it turned white and looked bad. Over serum was ok. If you want to know what I do here is my routine:
-add antioxidant, let absorb 5 minutes
-spray my skin with Avene spring water spray to give moisture
-add little dots of emusion all over my face
-rub in quick

if you do it like this, the white cast is not obvious. Actually, my skin looks brighter and fresh.

I try to add as much sunscreen as I can. If you add too much, it will go white. Its trial and error at the beginning. But as we know, sunscreen that are high protection, ie over SPF 40, are usually not the most beautiful. So you can't expect it to look as perfect as SPF 15. But its worth it for me with the added protection, matt finish, and it does not look too white. My skin is fair/medium, I am italian.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've used it almost exclusively the past year or so. It gives almost none of the white cast that plagues most high PPD/ SPF sunscreens (yes, I'm looking at you, Anthelios SPF 50!!!)

Don't get the tinted version--it's really dark and unnatural looking if you use enough (1/4 teaspoon) for maximum protection. I made that mistake and ended up gradually adding a smidge of it to the untinted just to use it up.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I did not even know that there was a tinted version! I will watch out to make sure I dont accidently buy it!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
O thanks flitcraft and amonavis! I've ordered some from a friend in Greece, so I can't wait to try it! Thanks for your application tips so that I don't freak when I see it! I'm afraid I'm spoiled by DeVita's 30 SS - it's micronized ZnO and it blends in like buttah - no white cast, no matte effect. But I'm not really sure I trust it in the long run. The Tinosorb has me so intrigued since I am frightened of sun damage.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |