Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Accutane rave!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have been on Accutane for 2 months now. For as long as I can remember I always got a bunch of cycstic acne that left a number of red marks, about a week before my period. Well I just got my period with no warning "its coming" cystic zits. I can't beleive it! I wish I had this many years ago! My skin would be perfect.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I used it in my forties - up until then I had clear skin all my life so it was difficult to say the least to accept the mess my face had become. Accutane was a life/job/relationship saver. I'm glad you are having good luck with it. Dry mouth and eyes were the worst part.
allyssa
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I also used accutane and loved the results. My skin was clear for 5 years!The worst part for me was that the inside of my nose was very dry and severely dry lips (which I still have). It beats acne though Smile My skin is starting to break out now and I went back to see my doctor. Currently I am using spiro and tazorac. Not bad so far but accutane worked better and quicker. Good Luck!
dsq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
i agree, it is a very effective drug for moderate to severe acne, but as always, talk to the doctor first to see if it is right for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:33 am      Reply with quote
i am also consider to try Accutane as i still suffered from the acne ovr nose every month before and during the period...i have tried tone of methods, peeling , topical medicine and a short period of chinese medicine (~3months)but none is effective...what's i worried is its side effect and recurence after i finish the course...would anyone share your experience with Accutane?
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Accutane was the best thing I ever did. I wish I found out about it years ago. Would have saved me from a bad laser peel which left me with some scars. It also got rid of my oily scalp! No more cystic acne either. I was on for almost 5 months, the dry, itchy skin is really annoying but worth it. Now I have a normal skin care regime.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I used one course of accutane in my mid twenties and am so glad that I did. I had the dry mouth but it went away once I stopped. I stayed pretty clear for a year or two once I stopped, but then some returned, but to a much lesser extent. If I could do it over, I would do 2 courses of it, but when I needed the second round I was ready to have children and it's a real no-no when you want to get pregnant. I believe you can get up to 3 treatments of it and if you suffer from severe cystic acne it is a true life changer. If my daughter gets cystic acne like I did, I will turn to it much more quickly than I did, so that she can have the treatments before child bearing age.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Im 20 and iv got mild to quite bad acne im really debating going to the doctors and asking if i can be subscribed onto this but the thing is im a student and well students like to drink, i probs go out with all my mates once or twice a week maybe is this going to effect the drug at all? Thanks vince
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
When I used Accutane, I don't remember being told I couldn't drink alchol, but I can't imagine that it would be good for you. You would be giving your liver a workout for sure. You would have to check with your doctor about this. I you have severe acne at all, it may be worth giving up alchol for a few months to get the results you want. Also, most dermatologist will not prescribe Accutane the first time you walk in the door. They will want to try other things first. It is kind of a last resort drug for those that have tried other methods and failed to get a result. For me, it took several years before I was put on it, but so glad I was! Nothing else can help like this does.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
the effect of accutane seem really good but i'm so scared by the ppl messages on internet...someone even said it would cause vaginal dryness and recurrence after few years... in fact i hv try to take oc pill for a month and my skin really has improved (less oily)...as oc pill may increase the risk of breast and cervical cancer, i am hesitated to continue...
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
masaholly
IMHO - stay w/ the devil you know...

it sounds like your acne isn't bad enough for accutaine - you should check in to the 302 skin care line or IS Clinical for acneic skin - the latter cleared up my regular breakouts and my monthly cysts (curtesy of accutane - which is supposed to stop acne altogether)

i used accutaine almost 20 years ago -
i did not have cystic acne, but once i went on accutane i got it - there i was covered in cysts - be careful, this is a very very serious potent drug, probably to be used as a last resort for persistent and pervasive cystic acne.
Obvously this drug is a Godsend for some people, but it is not for everyone - do your research well and i wouldn't trust your dermatogist - mine prescribed it...and as she had to EXTRACT a cyst that wouldn' BUDGE and stitch me up she said, well, it's clearly not working for you, but you're in it too deep now to stop...
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Does the acne come back if you stop accutane?
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 am      Reply with quote
moongoddess, thx for your sharing....you know i really disapointed every month that the acne always come out over my nose causing it swelling and redness, i guess it is realted to my menstruation cycle...the only method to reduce the redness and scar is laser treatment...once the acne and redness had been improved, next cycle come again! the cost of laser treatment is so expensive and i cant foresee when is the end....that's why i consider accutaine, how long have you take the accutaine?
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:

yes with vengeance, I got much angrier cysts
aquarius86
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I must chime in here with some information on my son. He was on generic accutane from Dec 2007 till June 2008. Within the first month he was 80% cleared up. I felt so bad because I never knew about this. I would take him in for yearly checkups or whenever he was sick to the family Dr and he would prescribe different things all of which did not work. He had a blood test monthly while he was on it and had no problems whatsoever. It will soon be 1 year that he is off it and he does get an occasional breakout usually on his forehead but it is nowhere near what he had for 3 1/2 yrs of high school. When we first went to the derm Dr they told us our family Dr is not allowed to tell you about accutane because of the risks. Had they been allowed to mention it he would have had a much better high school experience. The last half of his senior year, his face was completely cleared up. He is a chocolate junkie which most Dr's tell you it has nothing to do with a clear face, but I can always tell when my husband is eating too much of it. His face doesn't lie. My son's experience with accutane was life changing I just hope it never comes back, and I will someday get over my guilt of letting him go on for 3 years before I got him some help.
pinkpony
5% products discount

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:

mine didnt come back after that. i was on accutane for 6months in my early 20s.
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:

For me, I stayed pretty clear for a couple years after accutane. What came back, was far less severe and less quantity. I feel like Aquarius does about it, that it can change ones life - if you really need it. I wouldn't mess around with it, if you don't have severe acne. Also, you can do up to 3 rounds of it (for 5 month courses, I believe) - so if the first round doesn't get all of it, you can do it again. That is what I wish I had done! I wish Aquarius had been my mom and gotten it for me in high school! Acne can really destroy your confidence.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:

Both, my brother and father have used Accutane 6 years ago, and the acne never come back!
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
how about the side effect? i 'm worried about the dryness everywhere of the skin as well as depression associated....originally i had booked the dermatologist for it but i default on the appointment....
Camille00
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:58 am      Reply with quote
masaholly wrote:
how about the side effect? i 'm worried about the dryness everywhere of the skin as well as depression associated....originally i had booked the dermatologist for it but i default on the appointment....

You may have to use something like Visine for the eyes, and some hand cream, body cream and lip balm every day... but I think it's not that bad, if you consider you gonna have a beautiful skin after all!
aquarius86
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:12 am      Reply with quote
The only symptoms my son had were dry skin and very very chapped, dry lips. He minded the lips the most. There was never any depression, if anything he was anxious to get this over with, because we tried every product you could think of even scripts from the family Dr. I remember he was on Proactiv for about 6 - 9 months and it worked for about 2 - 3 and then it was like he became immune to it, this happened with everything we tried.
In my opinion the 5 or 6 months of some dryness and chapped lips is well worth it because your face will be completely cleared up of this horrible mess and you will feel really good about yourself. I just wish someone had told me about this years ago. Oh one more thing, he hated the blood test every month, but who wouldn't?
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't experience any depression from it. Not that that can't be a side effect, it may well be for some, but I have heard Dr. Dean Edell (talk show Dr. on radio) say that he thinks the bad reputation of depression can stem from the age group that uses it tends to be teens who can have emotional ups/downs and that may play into it. The question of - "was it really accutane that caused it?" If someone was to start to feel depressed, stop the drug. The side effect I had was a dry mouth at night, so I would just have a glass of water by my bed. Also dry skin, so exfoliate and use a moisturizer. But if your acne is not that bad, don't do it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:05 am      Reply with quote
i really dont know how the severity do need the accutane but the acne really affect my self esteem,now i am taking the pill and plan to stop it after my skin has been improved and then go to visit the chinese medicine
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 am      Reply with quote
aquarius86 wrote:
I must chime in here with some information on my son. He was on generic accutane from Dec 2007 till June 2008. Within the first month he was 80% cleared up. I felt so bad because I never knew about this. I would take him in for yearly checkups or whenever he was sick to the family Dr and he would prescribe different things all of which did not work. He had a blood test monthly while he was on it and had no problems whatsoever. It will soon be 1 year that he is off it and he does get an occasional breakout usually on his forehead but it is nowhere near what he had for 3 1/2 yrs of high school. When we first went to the derm Dr they told us our family Dr is not allowed to tell you about accutane because of the risks. Had they been allowed to mention it he would have had a much better high school experience. The last half of his senior year, his face was completely cleared up. He is a chocolate junkie which most Dr's tell you it has nothing to do with a clear face, but I can always tell when my husband is eating too much of it. His face doesn't lie. My son's experience with accutane was life changing I just hope it never comes back, and I will someday get over my guilt of letting him go on for 3 years before I got him some help.

Hey Aquarius

Yes - i do think this can be a wonder drug for some people - you don't mention what kind of acne your son had - was it cystic? Honestly, if my kid was covered in acne i cannot say i would never put him on accutaine...i think if you're whole face is covered w/ acne(oh, the heartbreak of our children's struggle) what have you got to loose....but i think if it's not pervasive, you could be asking for trouble...

masaholly--i completely relate to your acne cycle - just when they're starting to heal the whole cycle starts again (and for me, post accutaine, it was cycts) You really should check into the IS Clinical acneic line - or 302 (which i LOVE LOVE LOVE) - also - (god, i hate to be so pessimistic) there is alot of info out their about expensive lasers making skin worse - Bosky (on the 302 thread) just posted some pics/link (from Acne.org)of a woman that got the newest laser trtment (it's nausiating)-- read up before you choose laser -of course there are always positive and negative experiences - in the end it's just a choice, i guess, and you live w/ the results - it's always good to be armed w/ info. though..
best
m
aquarius86
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:22 am      Reply with quote
moongoddess
Hi, it's Aquarius

I'm really not sure what my son had. I don't know if it was cystic or not. What other kind is there? I know there are many. All I do know is that his face was horrible. The size of some of the pimples were sometimes so large they would sit there for days before clearing up. His face was probably about 65% covered with the crap. I only remember the Dr saying it was definitely a bad case of acne. I was just so happy that he said they could cure it I didn't care about what kind he had. I do remember when he had his senior pictures taken the photographer told us there was only so much touching up they could do, that his face was really bad, but I must say they did a great job because you couldn't see any. I just asked him (my son) and he can't remember if the Dr said what type he had but looking at the different kinds on another web site I would say he had Severe acne vulgaris which is characterized by nodules and cysts. He said the larger ones were very painful and would last a long time. If I had it to do all over again I would still go through with it. It is well worth the little discomfort. He is so much more handsome now that all of it has cleared up. Listen to me being the proud mom, but he really is gorgeous. If anyone has any doubts, don't, it's well worth it.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |