Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz)
2009/10 Weightloss Support Thread
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Woo hoo!! More people = more support for everyone! Very Happy

I am getting a few cravings out of the way this weekend, and am going grocery shopping tomorrow to ensure that I have plenty of healthy edibles.

The weaning off the DC isn't going so well though, sigh. I may have to just buck up and do a few days of Advil Liqui-Gels next week instead of weaning myself off gradually without any need for headache relief. Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi girls,

I get night cravings for sweets. I can afford not to lose more weight but I don't want to gain either. I want to keep my waist tiny, right now is 26 and a half inches but I want to go down to 25 or 24 and I could do that if I was to lose more weight, problem is I don't want for fear to lose fat on my face and look hagged. Also, my arms are a bit flabby. I am 5'4 and my weight is 126 lbs.

Do you think I can do waist and core exercises skipping the cardio and have success and also weights for my arms or do I absolutely need the cardio (treadmill/walking)?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:

Do you think I can do waist and core exercises skipping the cardio and have success and also weights for my arms or do I absolutely need the cardio (treadmill/walking)?

I don't think cardio is necessary (except for ones heart and lung health!). If you aren't looking to lose any weight and just looking to firm up, possibly lose some inches, I think you could have improvement in the waist area with something like pilates or yoga (yoga will also help your arms), and throw in some weights for your arms. That is my opinion. Very Happy
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
margarett wrote:

I don't think cardio is necessary (except for ones heart and lung health!). If you aren't looking to lose any weight and just looking to firm up, possibly lose some inches, I think you could have improvement in the waist area with something like pilates or yoga (yoga will also help your arms), and throw in some weights for your arms. That is my opinion. Very Happy

Thank you rileygirl, I always value and appreciate your opinion. Good to know cardio is not necessary so I can do some of the exercises/weihts at home whenever I want and stop the membership $$$$$$ (saving for botox...LOL) at the gym and go for walks once a day.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:

Thank you rileygirl, I always value and appreciate your opinion. Good to know cardio is not necessary so I can do some of the exercises/weihts at home whenever I want and stop the membership $$$$$$ (saving for botox...LOL) at the gym and go for walks once a day.

You're welcome. I also forgot to say that for the arms, I think push-ups are #1 and better than weights for toning. It takes a while, but I have had better results with push-ups than I did with the weights for my arms.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
margarett wrote:

You're welcome. I also forgot to say that for the arms, I think push-ups are #1 and better than weights for toning. It takes a while, but I have had better results with push-ups than I did with the weights for my arms.

Especially if you do the pushups they recommend in the 90 Second Fitness book where you stop and hold 5x on the way down, and 5x on the way back up! Shock (you are on your toes when doing that, NOT your knees)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Especially if you do the pushups they recommend in the 90 Second Fitness book where you stop and hold 5x on the way down, and 5x on the way back up! Shock (you are on your toes when doing that, NOT your knees)

That definitely would be a killer!
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
okidokie Rileygirl and Bethany! on my way to savings $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!! Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm gearing up for Diet Day tomorrow! Very Happy

- Overall, my diet will not be changing much (ex: I had brussel sprouts for dinner tonight), though I will be watching my calories and my carbs via Fitday. (Fitday.com is FREE for those that are not familiar with it)

- I already opened up Fitday as a reminder to log my weight as soon as I get up, so that I know how bad the situation is, sigh.

- I stuck my Rx drugs and supplements right in front of my face at my desk so that I remember to consistently take them so that I can feel good enough to exercise. Confused

- Diet monitoring takes place this week, and then I start exercising next week after the initial energy decrease from the carb cutback goes away. But I will still be trying to be more active this next week...even playing with my kittens every night is a step in the right direction. (That usually entails chasing them all around the house...they LOVE it, and it wears me OUT, lol.)

- OH, and I am also going to try and go to bed earlier which means lights out at 11pm. Now that may kill me, lol....I usually go to bed about 2am. Embarassed

Ok...off to bed right now.

Night! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 3:47 am      Reply with quote
WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF SUMMER WEIGHT LOSS 2010, EVERYONE!
wave
bethany -
What great planning! I know planning meals and shopping weekly really helps me to keep on track. But this weekend has been so nice, I've spent the majority of my time outside gardening, so there is not much good stuff in the fridge currently. Rolling Eyes

I did get a dog last Thursday, which means I am walking much, much more. She's a cute little Yorkie named Tootsie. She's five years old, and needed a new home due to her owner having health problems.

My plans for today:
1. Officially weigh in - done
2. Measure body fat and waistline
3. Get on the TreadClimber for 30 mins so I can watch Dexter (already have my workout clothes on).
4. Drink 8 glasses of water
5. Track everything I eat/drink on Sparkpeople.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Nadine, congrats on the new doglet!!! We'll need pics of course. Very Happy

My day went pretty much as planned...weighed myself, drank too much Diet Coke, ate well and entered my food into Fitday. The key for me is getting rid of that darn Diet Coke (no progress there yet, sigh) and limiting my carbs intake.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

My day went pretty much as planned...weighed myself, drank too much Diet Coke, ate well and entered my food into Fitday. The key for me is getting rid of that darn Diet Coke (no progress there yet, sigh) and limiting my carbs intake.

And I failed to go to bed on time. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 04, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

;

I'm hooked on Coke Zero -- drinking one right now as I'm checking out the forum! Don't know what to do about that either.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Hey diet pop drinkers. I found this article while searching for something else, so I thought I'd share it here. Good luck with your efforts to quit.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 8:17 am      Reply with quote
rubby wrote:
Hey diet pop drinkers. I found this article while searching for something else, so I thought I'd share it here. Good luck with your efforts to quit.

I read that article when it first came out in 2008, and I 100% believe it is true...yet I STILL drink it!!! Shock

Thanks for the reminder...I have REALLY got to get a grip on this. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
rubby wrote:

I read that article when it first came out in 2008, and I 100% believe it is true...yet I STILL drink it!!! Shock

Thanks for the reminder...I have REALLY got to get a grip on this. Confused

I am a Huge coffee drinker, and I am pretty sure they found something similar with the coffee and holding belly fat. But, I just will not give up my coffee!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Here you go Riley. Smile

http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/adverse_effects_of_coffee_drinking

Coffee and Weight Gain
Caffeine increases the risk of long-term weight gain by increasing stress hormones and creating a greater risk for hypoglycemia, which stimulates appetite. Although caffeine can assist with short-term weight loss, in the longer term, heavy consumption is more likely to lead to weight gain. Also, studies have indicated that green tea is better for maintaining a healthy weight than coffee.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, DM. I remember Perricone in his one book telling people to drop the coffee and switch to green tea. While I really like green tea, it doesn't compare to coffee!
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 am      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Hi girls,

I get night cravings for sweets. I can afford not to lose more weight but I don't want to gain either. I want to keep my waist tiny, right now is 26 and a half inches but I want to go down to 25 or 24 and I could do that if I was to lose more weight, problem is I don't want for fear to lose fat on my face and look hagged. Also, my arms are a bit flabby. I am 5'4 and my weight is 126 lbs.

I think for the arms you can definitely improve your the tone by doing just weight.

Now for the waist... if you want to reduce one inch or 2, I can't see that happening without you losing some weight. Toning it will make it look better but not necessarily lose inches.

Also if you can... I wouldn't give up cardio excercise just for health reasons... maybe you can do something at home so you don't have to pay for a gym membership?

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 9:11 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks, DM. I remember Perricone in his one book telling people to drop the coffee and switch to green tea. While I really like green tea, it doesn't compare to coffee!

I know where you are coming from, I used to drink coffee all day and into the night. I now have one HUGE mug in the morning and that's it most days. I don't even know how or why I cut back it just sort of happened? Same with coke I just rarely have any and used to love it big time? Weird huh???? Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

Just adding in my 2 cents: Doing cardio is really essential in loosing weight.

My trainer recommends interval training - where you do intense bursts of cardio (5 min) followed by a short rest of low intensity exercise (also about 5 minutes). Keep alternating throughout the duration of your workout. If your heart rate is at 80% of the maximum (for your age/weight) then you are in the fat burning zone.

Another health benefit of cardio is the sweating - purging your body of toxins.

I did also learn this from experience. Until I added cardio, I only had moderate success with weight training and walking.

I hope this helps, Good luck to everyone!
Emily

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

OK this is absolutely anecdotal but this is what happened to me.

I have a friend who's an ayurvedic dr. and very "new agey" Smile

She calls sometimes telling me "oh i was feeling these vibes and thought I should call you". So one time I was freaking out because I was about to finish my thesis and then suddenly i realized the data had some problems, etc, etc... it was horrible. I HAD to work on the thesis but I was so stressed out I could not concentrate!

So anyways, she calls me and tells me to take colubrina 30CH (I can't remember how many times per day). I was so desperate I took it. I did not think they were going to do anything since they're these tiny tiny round "pills" that just taste like sugar.

So I take it and then after a week or so... I wake up in the morning... and I did not want to have my morning cappuccino! Mmm.. that was weird but ... whatever I could have been having an off day. But the same thing continued to happen all week. BTW, I do not wake up hungry in the morning and it's really difficult for me to have breakfast. But the ONLY thing I CRAVE and I'm looking forward to when I wake up is my cappuccino. Is the only coffee I drink during the day and I just LOVE it and ENJOY it so much! This is such a ritual to me that my husband knows he cannot speak to me before I have my morning cappuccino. Yet, here I was with no desire whatsoever to have it!!!!

I was really freaked out. The only different thing was the colubrina thing so I asked my friend if colubrina was known for this and she looked at me with her "kind guru eyes" and said "yes", followed by one of her "wise phrases" Smile And then she proceeded to explain how the colubrina balances God knows which energy thing and so then it will not want you to drink stimulants and I don't know what else. To be honest, I don't believe in all those things much, but at least I know that for me, it really took away the pleasure of drinking coffee Sad

I actually stopped taking it because I LOVE my morning coffee and now I can report that I still look forward to my morning cappuccino every day Smile The universe makes sense to me again Smile

So for whatever it's worth, if someone wants to reduce their caffeine intake, you might want to take a look at this...

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 10:21 am      Reply with quote
How interesting, Josee. Heck yeah I will check into those "sugar pills"! I am not really big into the supplements/alternative type things, but I do swear by a few homeopathic products. You wouldn't have any idea where to buy these would you?
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
How interesting, Josee. Heck yeah I will check into those "sugar pills"! I am not really big into the supplements/alternative type things, but I do swear by a few homeopathic products. You wouldn't have any idea where to buy these would you?

Oh Rileygirl if you knew me you'd know that it was only under those circumstances that I actually listened to her (which must have been a sign of how crazy I was!) My friend is so nice she puts up with me every time I roll my eyes when she starts talking about all her ayurvedic things, and pitta thing and vatta what not.. I have no clue.

I bought the colubrina in the pharmacy. They're usually behind the counter but just ask for them and they'll give it to you.

BTW, I don't think it did anything for the stress levels though Laughing

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

If your pharmacy doesn't carry it any health food store carries a rack of homeopathic remedies!

I had one I always kept in the house (got tired of kids running to mom just to puke ON me!) It's called Nux Vomica lovely name I know, but I would toss it under the kids tongues mid gag and poof no vomiting? I don't know if it's mind over matter but that stuff did the trick every time! Laughing

Fri May 17, 2024 3:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |