Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

2009/10 Weightloss Support Thread
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
All you have to do to help is download a free chapter from The Spark book. Nothing else. To do so, simply go to http://book.sparkpeople.com/book.asp?u=NADJAZZ
and click the button to download your free chapter.

If you would be willing to help me with this, I would truly appreciate it, and I also think you will enjoy reading this free chapter from "The Spark".

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it!

Done!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:

All you have to do to help is download a free chapter from The Spark book. Nothing else. To do so, simply go to http://book.sparkpeople.com/book.asp?u=NADJAZZ
and click the button to download your free chapter.

Downloaded for you!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone seen Kirstie Alley's new "Organic Liaison" program? Here is the link to the page AFTER her video on the home page where she READS off a bunch of cue cards. Rolling Eyes

http://www.organicliaison.com/intro#membership-benefits

I found it interesting that she specifically referred to "meals she can keep in her closet" which is obviously a slam toward the Jenny Craig program. I guess she forgot that she DID lose all that weight eating those closet meals, lol, and even recommended that her close buddy Valerie Bertinelli join the program because of her own success. Bad Grin

Her new program is basically expensive supplements, access to tools like a journal and weightloss graph (that you can get for FREE on other sites), listings of local organic resources (like you can't find those on your own via the web?), and a support game (of all things) where you have a Chubby Buddy Shock to partner with. Oh and make sure to eat organic to avoid toxins while you look at all the site graphics that are Finding Nemo knockoffs. And if the pics in the testimonal section are of the ACTUAL people giving the testimonials, I'll eat a roll of paper towel for dinner tomorrow.

Cost:
- $10 a MONTH to be a member
- $139 for the supplements

I definitely wasn't impressed with what I saw. It appeared to be very light on content and heavy on the marketing. This is all info that is readily available in a bevy of books and online. I'm floored that it took her TWO years to come up with that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
An interesting article on MSNBC regarding exercise...this is basically what my 90 Sec book recommends.

Interval training can cut exercise hours sharply
Intense, brief workouts twice as effective as other regimens, experts say

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35581793/ns/health-fitness/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely love Kirstie when she appears the Oprah show! She is funny, down-to-earth, and very likeable. I WILL be watching her new show.

I was looking forward to the big reveal of her weight-loss program, but I'm with you, bethany...I can do all that on my own. I do think the Phitter concept has great potential, though!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
I absolutely love Kirstie when she appears the Oprah show! She is funny, down-to-earth, and very likeable. I WILL be watching her new show.

I was looking forward to the big reveal of her weight-loss program, but I'm with you, bethany...I can do all that on my own. I do think the Phitter concept has great potential, though!

I think she is hysterical as well, which is why I was so disappointed in the offering...I guess I just expected more from her. I think she made such a big stink post-JC about launching her own offering that she HAD to deliver something, and unfortunately it ain't all that.

However, that is not to say it won't work, and if it helps people eat in healthier manner, it's all good.

Phitter is interesting, but it kills me to see them say it is a "gift from Kirstie" when it's more like "funded by your $$$ spent with Kirstie," lol. Gotta love marketers! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 am      Reply with quote
We just had our 7-week weigh-in yesterday. I am STILL in last place. Sad

But I have lost a total of 10 lbs! Dancing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:

Wow, that is great, Nadine. I am plugging along, but sadly have not lost any more weight than my initial 1 lb!! I have been very good on my "diet" and have really been watching the portion sizes, etc. I am hoping I am just a slow started and something will kick in soon!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
nadjazz wrote:

Wow, that is great, Nadine. I am plugging along, but sadly have not lost any more weight than my initial 1 lb!! I have been very good on my "diet" and have really been watching the portion sizes, etc. I am hoping I am just a slow started and something will kick in soon!

Ugh...I'm plugging away as well. But I know exactly why my loss is slower than in the past...I am not limiting my carbs. Confused Granted, the only carbs I am taking in are via fruit, beans, etc. but cutting carbs is my tried and true weight dropper.

I guess at this point in time I am more focused on the detox aspect, and the fruit on an empty stomach is an important part of that. I think I will continue focusing on getting my body to operate more efficiently, and THEN lower carbs if I still need to do do. At least then I will be able to better metabolize the toxins released during my ketosis-based fat burning! Very Happy

Riley - Have you lost any inches?

Nadjaz - 10 pounds is still a major deal, and definitely reason to celebrate! How much longer on your contest?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Riley - Have you lost any inches?

I have not measured for a while! Embarassed I will measure this weekend, but I am thinking no. Rolling Eyes
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl and bethany -
thank you so much for your support! This thread definitely helped me prepare for contest.

rileygirl, I've given some thought to some things that have made my weight loss stall in the past: not drinking enough water (I still don't, but 6 glasses/day is a big improvement); anti-depressants; hormones out of whack; stress. I'm currently working on getting enough sleep!

bethany - You and I are using a very similar strategy. I focused on the detox first, and at that stage, really didn't worry about weight loss or limiting carbs. Then I followed Dr. Aronne's plan, where fruits and other good-quality carbs were balanced with protein. It seemed like a natural transition from the detox plan...all I had to do was add in some healthy protein.

I feel like South Beach phase 1 is undoing some of the detox work, since I am using artificial sweetener now (although sparingly)and consuming way more dairy than usual. But it's working, and I know I can transition back to "clean" eating gradually. In this phase, beans are also my main source of carbs, but I have cut out fruit for now.

We have 5-1/2 weeks left in the contest!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
rileygirl and bethany -
thank you so much for your support! This thread definitely helped me prepare for contest.

rileygirl, I've given some thought to some things that have made my weight loss stall in the past: not drinking enough water (I still don't, but 6 glasses/day is a big improvement); anti-depressants; hormones out of whack; stress. I'm currently working on getting enough sleep!

Hmm, well I have a ton of stress right now, and I am sure my hormones are out of whack due to perimenopause. I actually have been thinking about this and wondering if something hormonal could not be at play here. It just may take me a longer time. I'll keep plugging away and see how it goes!

Good luck with the contest, Nadine, and you are doing great!! Very Happy
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:

We have 5-1/2 weeks left in the contest!

If you really want to rachet up the weightloss for contest purposes, you could go liquid...my 90 Sec book emphasized that, as well as an ALG post today (see below).

But unless there is a chance you can win, slow and steady is always a better choice.

http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2010/03/03/a-safe-way-to-shed-10-to-15-pounds-and-fast/

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 am      Reply with quote
Ooh, I may have to seriously consider ALG's product! I suspect all of us will resort to liquid diets of some kind during the last 10 days of the contest. These boys are a competitive bunch! Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Ooh, I may have to seriously consider ALG's product! I suspect all of us will resort to liquid diets of some kind during the last 10 days of the contest. These boys are a competitive bunch! Confused

I'll look and see what the 90 Sec book recommended in general and then you can decide if you need her product, or if you already have what you need! Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
hi folks,,,jsut wanted to know if there is someone who did this diet and loss a significant amount of weight ???
I need to lose weight,,,honestly i need to lose a total of 50 pounds Smile any ideas...everything fails.,,every diet,,,cuz my will power seems to be so weak,,,,hate working out...what to do,,,,Helppppppp......
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
maheen1 wrote:
hi folks,,,jsut wanted to know if there is someone who did this diet and loss a significant amount of weight ???
I need to lose weight,,,honestly i need to lose a total of 50 pounds Smile any ideas...everything fails.,,every diet,,,cuz my will power seems to be so weak,,,,hate working out...what to do,,,,Helppppppp......

Maheen1, most of us are doing different diets/eating styles due to varying preferences, etc.

Honestly, no diet is going to work until you:
1. Change your relationship with food. (I found that I was a stress eater AND a boredom eater, and now I try to NOT eat due to those reasons)
2. Decide that you are committed to making a lifestyle change (baby steps can work...start by eliminating one unhealthy thing a week)

It's not easy, and at the end of the day it really comes down to how badly you want to be at a healthier weight. (I haven't wanted it badly enough in the past, but am definitely moving more and more in that direction)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with what bethany said. I've tried so many different diets, and lost interest within a few days because I didn't address the root cause: I am an emotional eater, and my relationship with food was overriding any commitment to lifestyle change.

Another thing that helped me: understanding how your food choices and combinations affect your blood sugar and hormones, which in turn affect your appetite and cravings.

I recommend two books to educate you:
1. How to make any diet work: this requires you to do alot of work, tracking things on spreadsheets just to understand your own physical/emotional reactions to food. Then there's a section that compares several popular diet plans, and helps you select the one that's appropriate for you. If you don't want to go through all that, her favorite plan overall is the Fat Flush Plan. I’d say Bethany is the expert on FFP, so perhaps she can recommend a book for you.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Almost-Diet-Work/dp/1592853579

2. The Skinny on losing weight without being hungry: this one is so easy to follow, I never felt deprived or hungry. I followed the plan and exercised 3-5 times a week. I lost 7 lbs in 5 weeks, which is an amazing success for me!

http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-Without-Hungry-Ultimate-Success/dp/0767930401/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267892410&sr=1-1

Also check outwww.sparkpeople.com for success stories and support for every diet plan imagineable!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Another thing that helped me: understanding how your food choices and combinations affect your blood sugar and hormones, which in turn affect your appetite and cravings.

Oh yes...oh soooo true! Eating carbs/sugar/fake sugar (asparatame, etc) chemically makes you crave more carbs. And giving in just sets you up for ongoing failure, sigh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Ok...the detox concept is great, but I am just not seeing the weightloss I need to see. Mad Plus the fruit is aggrevating my systemic candida. Mad Mad Mad

It's time to limit the carbs for me, and also ensure that I am not getting too much protein (which can also be stored as fat Shock ).

My doctor recommends 5-10 grms (15 MAX) 5x a day (every 3 hours) so I will tracking everything in Fitday just to make sure I am being compliant.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
bethany, I noticed the same thing, the last time I did my detox plan...no weight loss at all! Limiting myself to the right kind of carbs has been much more effective. I do feel, though, that the detox plan helps get rid of cravings, and puts me in the right frame of mind to prepare for any diet plan I choose to follow.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
bethany, I noticed the same thing, the last time I did my detox plan...no weight loss at all! Limiting myself to the right kind of carbs has been much more effective. I do feel, though, that the detox plan helps get rid of cravings, and puts me in the right frame of mind to prepare for any diet plan I choose to follow.

I am going to try and combine the two to the best of my ability. I think I also really have to eat more leafy veggies and less protein.

We'll see how it goes! Confused Embarassed Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone... I haven't checked in here for a good long while.

I guess part of it was disappointment that I couldn't lose that much weight. Whereas in 2008 I lost 30lbs (trust me I had a LOT to lose), in 2009 the needle on the scale was barely budging. Optimistically I lost maybe 10 lbs... though it's closer to 7-8 really.

So I was pretty disappointed... until I went into a department store and tried on dresses. In the beginning of 2009 I fit into a size 16. Well, seems like I'm down to a size 12. (Yes I went to the same store and the same brand of clothes, even tried on very similarly designed dresses).

Of course this made me really happy. Very Happy It also made me realize something... I think maybe there's too much focus on weight alone, while maybe we should be thinking about size and what clothes we fit into rather than the number on the scale? It certainly did astound me when I realized that I did actually shrink without losing the weight.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm back seriously dieting to lose 10 pounds before summer. I started more serious yoga (2 hours strenuous workout per week with a group and smallerPilates every day). I am pretty continuusly on a low refined carb diet but will become more serious now.

I really like the plan where you have a snack (high protein/fiber) every two hours or so. Makes things easier. I'm making Cauliflower fried rice tonight (this tastes great the only hard part is grating the cauliflower).

Everybody has to find a way that works for you but four things I find help:

1. Keep blood sugar constant (I have whey shakes hard boiled eggs and celery with peanut butter in my fridge at work so when I'm hungry I always have a good snack.

2. RemoveALL prepared junk from your home.

3. Plan distractions for when you are weak. Put a list on your fridge. (like call a friend, go on EDS forum,go for a walk, give yourself a manicure). I know this sounds hokey but I reward myself and this distracts me from eating.

4. Join an exercize or yoga group.
Doing it alone can work but comitting to a group keeps me honest and is frankly more fun.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
maiea - Good for you on the inches lost! Much more meaningful than lbs on a scale.

Sharky - great advice! I'm pretty good about keeping the blood sugar constant, but I have all kinds of junk in my kitchen that really needs to be purged.

It's so good to see you both on this thread!

I have now lost a total of 12 pounds!

Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |