Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Essential oils for oily skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cc428
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all,

i have heard from many many people that essential oils does not clog pores. Does anyone actually know why it doesnt? Or does anyone know the science behind essential oils for oily skin? The reason why im asking this is because i've started using Alqvimia's facial oils (which smells heavenly btw!!!) , i've began to see a few blocked pores on my forehead and cheeks and nose...yuck.

when i apply the oil, even after a while, i still feel as if the oil is still just sitting on my skin and not absorbing it? I think essential oils does clog pores? Confused
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Certain essential oils actually limit the amount of sebum that is produced by the skin. Here is a list of oils for oily skin that I found at: http://1stholistic.com/beauty/skin/skin_oily_skin.htm#Essential

Essential Oils For Oily Skin
Bergamot
Cedarwood
Cypress
Frankincense
Geranium
Juniper
Lavender
Lemon
Sage

If you Google this topic you will find allot of useful information for treating oily skin with essential oils.
alexol
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:38 am      Reply with quote
The YlangYlang oil by DECLEOR is much helpful for oily skin.
WinnieHo
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 am      Reply with quote
alexol wrote:
The YlangYlang oil by DECLEOR is much helpful for oily skin.

Yes!The YlangYlang oil really works on my T-zone.This "oil" makes my "oil" disappeared. Laughing
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies, you CANNOT apply essential oils directly to skin! There are only a few that can be applied directly to skin - like Lavender and tea tree. Lavender is to be applied directly to skin in case of burns.

Your eye area is veeeery gentle, and you need to KNOW what you are doing. Do not choose your eyes as your first experiment with essential oils.
chicot
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Actually,it depends on how you apply the oil on your face.
You could apply 5-8 drops on the skin followed by the gently massage, after then wipe the extra oil off by tissue with flore water.Otherwise, just add 2 drops in your regular cream, and apply on the face. Both way need the throughly massage, and then you will not feel the oil.
As you have oily skin, do not add too much oil, and remeber to wipe the extra amount.
chicot
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
And by the way, the essential oil I mean is the facil oil, which is mixture of the real essential oil and the base oil.
The real essential oil COULD NOT BE APPLIED ON THE SKIN DIRECTLY.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Essential oils should be diluted by based oils before you can apply them. Personally, I don't use essential oils on my face, for one exception: rose oil. The best base oil that worked for my skin is Camelia oil, which is recommended for all types of skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Chicot,

I am sorry to say this but doesn't seem like you know much about the subject of essential oils.
Essential oils are just that - plant's essenses.
What you referring to are carrier/fixed oils like Almond etc. They are NOT called essential oils.

Essential oils like Rose Otto, like Lavender etc are either pressed, solvent expressed etc and are not oily at all in comparison to fixed oils.

So not to confuse the public, you need to be very clear of what each one is.

ESSENTIAL OILS CANNOT BE APPLIED DIRECTLY, UNDILUTED TO SKIN.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 am      Reply with quote
IMO essential oils don't really belong in skincare, but there are some that do provide some benefits but many can just be irritants. You also want to be careful if you purchase EO's dont apply directly to the skin, they need to be diluted down to about 1-5%.
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
cc428 the actives are in the oils. Many people with oily skin avoid essential oils that are good for them, and then use products with all kinds of junk in them that are the real problem. They can really have moisture starved skin. Look for the purest products.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
IMO essential oils don't really belong in skincare, but there are some that do provide some benefits but many can just be irritants. You also want to be careful if you purchase EO's dont apply directly to the skin, they need to be diluted down to about 1-5%.

Essential oils have been used in the preparation of skincare and medicinal potions for thousands of years so the fact that they're still used today in our high-tech world must say something for them. Obviously, if you're going to make your own products, you need an understanding of their individual efficacy in the same way you would if you were using chemical compounds.
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Essential oils have been used in the preparation of skincare and medicinal potions for thousands of years so the fact that they're still used today in our high-tech world must say something for them. Obviously, if you're going to make your own products, you need an understanding of their individual efficacy in the same way you would if you were using chemical compounds.

the essencial oil can be mixed with the moisteriser and make the effect stronger. but be carefor, it must be the pur essencial oil. not the DELCEOR one, thet are not pure essencial oil.
lilyflower
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:31 am      Reply with quote
While excess sebum is not directly responsible for acne,it can contribute to clogged pores.The key is using the right products to help your skin maintain the ideal amount of oil in the skin.Toners often help to remove more oil that cleansers alone.Look for light,oil-free moisturizers with sunscreen,or try a powder sunscreen.
rainbowcheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi, try the sundari kapha oil. the best oil for oil skin

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/sundari-essential-oil-for-p_6784.htm
chicot
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Chicot,

I am sorry to say this but doesn't seem like you know much about the subject of essential oils.
Essential oils are just that - plant's essenses.
What you referring to are carrier/fixed oils like Almond etc. They are NOT called essential oils.

Essential oils like Rose Otto, like Lavender etc are either pressed, solvent expressed etc and are not oily at all in comparison to fixed oils.

So not to confuse the public, you need to be very clear of what each one is.

ESSENTIAL OILS CANNOT BE APPLIED DIRECTLY, UNDILUTED TO SKIN.

Thanks for pointed out that.

However, although essential oil is surposed to defined as the plant's essense, lots of people like to use this word to discribe the ready to use mixture of essential oil with the carrier. You may say that is wrong in the science field, nevertheless, as you could not stop it, you'd better tell the user both idea.

I actually do not think any one will buy the real essential oil, and apply on the face. First of all, the essential oil is commonly 5ml for one bottle, it is seems so expensive for each ml, second, if a lady really did that, she will go to the doctor first, from whom she could learn the lesson, and do not need to come to the forum to ask this kind of question.

What most people used is the facial oil, the ready to use mixture, as they always call it essential oil, I accept that way, and discuss it in their way. Just point out that it is not the real essential oil, which could not be used directly. Then, that is it. We all understand the idea, do not have to show the magic and confuse the user, what people what to know is how to use and how does it use, not how scientific you are.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:45 am      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29936
Hi cc428, here is another thread about oils and oily skin that might be helpful. It is about argan oil, which, technically may be a carrier, not an EO...my bad.

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
The use of essential oil blends is not restricted up to aromatherapy, as it is also a one of the main ingredient used in cosmetic, cooking, medicines, perfumery industry etc.You can get more information from www(dot)essentialoilsonline(dot)co(dot)uk.
Ferfer
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:23 am      Reply with quote
If you suffer from allergies or have highly sensitive skin, it is advisable that you do a patch test before applying a new essential oil or essential oil product. Most people benefit from using essential oils, but occasionally someone may have an allergic reaction. It is advisable that you always do a patch test if you have any doubt about your sensitivity to an essential oil to assure there are no adverse reactions. Apply a sample of the diluted essential oil to the pulse point on the wrist or to the crook of the elbow and observe for a reaction over the next 12 to 24 hours.
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:55 am      Reply with quote
i would think tea tree oil would be good because it wouldnt be clogging pores or so i think because of its antebacterial properties!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 am      Reply with quote
cc428 wrote:
Hello all,

i have heard from many many people that essential oils does not clog pores. Does anyone actually know why it doesnt? Or does anyone know the science behind essential oils for oily skin? The reason why im asking this is because i've started using Alqvimia's facial oils (which smells heavenly btw!!!) , i've began to see a few blocked pores on my forehead and cheeks and nose...yuck.

when i apply the oil, even after a while, i still feel as if the oil is still just sitting on my skin and not absorbing it? I think essential oils does clog pores? Confused
Than you are using too much. For some persons, 1 drop is all you need. If you apply too much just dab off the excess. If you have oily skin to begin with, it makes no sense to add more oil on top of an already oily skin.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I read on Wikipedia that lavender essential oil is toxic to cells and also causes photosensitivity.
carrymelikewater
5% products discount

Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi all! Very Happy

I think what this all boils down to is the Oil Cleansing Method, which involves the use of pure essential oils like Jojoba oil, Olive oil, Castor oil...and NOT the commercially produced cleansing oil like from Shu Umera, Fancl, etc.

Different types of skin requires different blends of essential oils.

Do check this "link" out.
theoilcleansingmethod dot com
Razz
cc428
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Wow some very very interesting and helpful replies here. Thank you all for your input. i think i will be sticking with using essential oils. Currently i am mixing rose hip oil with lemon and tea tree oil. i have found that maybe i was using a bit too much before and it made my skin to clog. i am only using 2 drops now for my entire face.

I still do get clogged pores but they seem to dry up and fall off itself sooner than before since i've been using essential oils- the right way
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |