Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is Vit C serum inactive once exposed to light or air?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 am      Reply with quote
I once heard that L-Ascorbic Acid (Vit C?) will become inactive once it's exposed to light and air. I just purchased the CellularSkinRx Vit C serum. It comes in a 30ml tinted glass bottle and I find it a bit hard to travel with it. I was thinking of transferring the serum to a smaller tinted drop bottle. I'm wondering if the serum will be affected during the transfer process? Or will it still remain fresh? Confused Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C does oxidise over time - usually indicated by it turning a yellowish colour. However, it's not going to instantly happen by you transferring it from one container to another. However, a 30ml bottle is the standard size for Vitamin C serums and I have never had any trouble with it going off and surely it's not that much trouble to travel with is it? Just remember that if you pour half of it into a smaller bottle - the remaining serum will then be in a half empty bottle filled with air and more prone to oxidisation. So it would make more sense to put it into two 15ml tinted bottles.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, you're right. I guess it's too much hassle to transfer it back and forth. But if it oxidize with the air in the 1/2 empty container, what about if I used it 1/2 way then?

I accidentally spilled some out this morning when I was using it. I forgot to close it tight after using and my hand accidentally knocked it over. That's enough for 2wks supply I guess Sad oh well...

A bit off topic...but what about other serums then? The non Vit C serum. Would it be oxidize if it's exposed to air and light? Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
A bit off topic...but what about other serums then? The non Vit C serum. Would it be oxidize if it's exposed to air and light? Thanks!

That would depend on what ingredients were in the serum. However, many serums include ingredients that act as a stabilizer. Vitamin C just happens to be notoriously unstable. But as a rule of thumb, it's always best to keep any serums away from the light and air tight.
sisiley
5% products discount

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
it's always best to keep any serums away from the light and air tight.i think so
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
The CellularSkinRx Vit C serum is described by the company as "stable." However the only ingredients listed are L-ascorbic acid and Butylene Glycol. I do not know if the company is required or not to list any other ingredients that may make this product "stablilized" or if they are just marketing it as stable. Many have said that this product does not turn yellow orange or brown for a long time (like 6 months) which is considered good and is rare in a serum. However I am surprised that there are only 2 ingredients, and that this would be enough to stabilize vitamin C, which is notoriously unstable. Any chemists who can explain this? Confused
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think they should have other ingredients too I believe. But probably they're not listed like what you said amonavis. Perhpas we should contact the company to find out?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:36 am      Reply with quote
No other ingredients in the Cellularskin-rx serum. The butylene glycol itself is what makes the serum stable--it's when l-ascorbic acid is mixed in water than the stability problems arise. So, by using butylene glycol rather than a water based solvent for the Vitamin C, a far more stable product is created.

And, as for tranferring a bit to a smaller bottle--that's what I do when I'm traveling. I use a Vivier C sample bottle that holds about 2 weeks worth of Vitamin C. I realize that the original Cellularskin-rx bottle isn't all that big, but I do carry-on only travel, and I need all the space I can get in my 1 quart liquids-and-gels bag for all my skincare and makeup goodies!!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Flitcraft, do u by any chance know the size of your sample bottle? I want to know approximately how big the bottle should be to hold 2wks of supply! Would 5ml be too small? Thanks! Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I always store C serums in the fridge and they last much longer this way. I transfer only about a weeks worth into another dropper bottle that I keep with my skin care.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
No other ingredients in the Cellularskin-rx serum. The butylene glycol itself is what makes the serum stable--it's when l-ascorbic acid is mixed in water than the stability problems arise. So, by using butylene glycol rather than a water based solvent for the Vitamin C, a far more stable product is created.

Butylene Glycol is a solvent. Found this at:

http://www.healthy-communications.com/butylene.htm
However, in the small doses used as a solvent in pharmaceuticals and nutritionals, there are no known side effects. In water-based products, a concentration of 0.5% butylene glycol, as a solvent, would be safe for topical use.

If Cellularskin-rx is just Vitamin C and Butylene Glycol then the serum would have to contain about 85% of BG. That couldn't be so surely?
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
flitcraft wrote:
No other ingredients in the Cellularskin-rx serum.

In water-based products, a concentration of 0.5% butylene glycol, as a solvent, would be safe for topical use.[/i]

If Cellularskin-rx is just Vitamin C and Butylene Glycol then the serum would have to contain about 85% of BG. That couldn't be so surely?

Yikes! You raise a good question, Keliu.

I have been using the Ice-CE Booster from Ice Elements for several months now. They found a way to encapsulate the l-ascorbic in jojoba esters for stability. The balls are suspended in a jojoba/Vit. E serum and break open when you apply it to your skin. Supposedly, it is only then that the l-ascorbic is activated. Does that sound reasonable? It is so hard to know since Vit.C's benefits are seen long term. My skin LOVES the jojoba esters, that's for sure!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
I have been using the Ice-CE Booster from Ice Elements for several months now. They found a way to encapsulate the l-ascorbic in jojoba esters for stability. The balls are suspended in a jojoba/Vit. E serum and break open when you apply it to your skin. Supposedly, it is only then that the l-ascorbic is activated. Does that sound reasonable? It is so hard to know since Vit.C's benefits are seen long term. My skin LOVES the jojoba esters, that's for sure!!

I had a look at it, it sounds very interesting. However, I couldn't find the percentage of Vitamin C it contains. Also, if the Vitamin C is encapsulated in the little balls, how do you know how much Vitamin C is being applied each time? However, this is probably irrelevant to it's overall efficacy.

Has anyone thought of using oil soluble Vitamin C. You can buy it from BulkActives and add it to any facial oil - I add it to Pomegranate Oil. Oil soluble Vitamin C is supposed to be extremely stable.
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
i use bio oil and sprinkle some l'sorbic acid into it and use that all over my body face included
i keep my vit c in the fridge along with all my other actives
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
hhm this is confusing..... But if the CellularSkinRx Vit C serum is not stable, why does so~ many ppl used it with good results? Confused

Or it's stable cuz they have other ingredients in it too and not just the butylene glycol?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
The mini-dropper I use for traveling is an old sample bottle of Vivier Kinetin C and it is 7.5 ml. That is enough for 2 weeks for me.

I have had terrific results with the Cellularskin-rx serum--no question it is highly stable.
baby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Vitamin C has been known to oxidize when exposed to oxygen so keep the lid closed right after you squeeze some of the product out! Smile
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
yes always be aware of vitamin C products. esp the expiry dates, because they degrade and oxidise faster, and thus, lose their effectiveness!
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
is skinceuticals C&E ferulic stable?
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
yeah i wanted to ask that! i just won a bid on 5mlx10 =50ml of Ferulic CE for 29 euros! and im wondering if its a good deal or if it has oxidized!!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Skinceuticals CE Ferulic is stable but it has to be fresh. If it is not fresh, the color will be dark yellow or brown and it is ineffective at that point. The problem with the samples is they are not sealed and I don't believe there is a date on them, so who knows how old they are. That is the problem with ebay. I think CE Ferulic is a great product but it needs to be fresh or its a waste of money.
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, i will check the samples. What color is it naturally or when it's fresh? Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
Ok, i will check the samples. What color is it naturally or when it's fresh? Smile

when CE ferulic is fresh, it should not have any color.
I bought once CE Ferulic sample pack from Ebay, samples were clean and I was using them for 2 or 3 months, and they were still clean, may be with some "champagne" tint.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
calorblind wrote:

when CE ferulic is fresh, it should not have any color.
I bought once CE Ferulic sample pack from Ebay, samples were clean and I was using them for 2 or 3 months, and they were still clean, may be with some "champagne" tint.

Actually I think fresh CE Ferulic has a slight, light yellow tint to it. It isn't clear like the B5 serum.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
It is impossible to fully prevent some oxidation but personally I would only use it until it is light yellow. If its dark yellow or brown, id throw it out.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |