Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Hyaluronic Acid---good or bad?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Periwinkle, not sure if you noticed or not, but John hasn't posted on this since 2008. He might not be here or see your ?
periwinkle7
5% products discount

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
Periwinkle, not sure if you noticed or not, but John hasn't posted on this since 2008. He might not be here or see your ?

Yeah, I saw. Thanks though. I went to his site and sent him a message.
Tiny
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
periwinkle7 wrote:
Tiny wrote:

just wasn't sure, I am curios too. can you let us know what he says? TIA
periwinkle7
5% products discount

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Tiny wrote:
periwinkle7 wrote:
Tiny wrote:

just wasn't sure, I am curios too. can you let us know what he says? TIA

I will!
Pretty_Simple

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
periwinkle7 wrote:
Pretty_Simple wrote:
Hyaluronic acid itself has very great benefits to the body since it acts as a lubricant for your joints and other tissues. The problem with purchasing a product/cream containing hyaluronic acid is that the molecular structure is much too large to penetrate through the skin. So when you apply a product containing hyaluronic acid, it is basically lying on top of the skin and in some cases can draw moisture from within which does the reverse of its intended use.

This is why fillers, which are composed of hyaluronic acid, have to be injected into the skin since that is the only way it is beneficial.

Pretty_Simple, does this mean that it would work well with a Derma Roller?

Hi Periwinkle7, Unfortunately, no. The Derma Roller is a great tool for allowing products that are able to absorb into the skin to penetrate even deeper.

Since almost all hyaluronic acid that is used in products is animal based and are too large in molecular structure, you should look into lines that carry "vegan" versions of hyaluronic acid. These version have a much smaller molecular structure (Research Marshmallow Root) that would allow for it to be absorbed into the skin -(and the Derma Roller would work well with!). The problem is, very, very few brands have hyaluronic acid that is derived from plant sources.

5% products discount

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Pretty_Simple wrote:

Since almost all hyaluronic acid that is used in products is animal based and are too large in molecular structure, you should look into lines that carry "vegan" versions of hyaluronic acid. These version have a much smaller molecular structure (Research Marshmallow Root) that would allow for it to be absorbed into the skin -(and the Derma Roller would work well with!). The problem is, very, very few brands have hyaluronic acid that is derived from plant sources.

This is a vegan brand, so I am told. It doesn't mention it on the site though. Have you heard of this brand, Pretty_simple?http://www.hyalogic.com/personal_care_products/episilk_pha_serum
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Devita is a vegan brand that carries a lot of products with HA.
Pretty_Simple

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm. I've never heard of that brand before, however, I checked the website, and it appears as though the source is animal-based.

Here is one brand and product that contains the "vegan hyaluronic acid" with the Marshmallow Root I spoke about in the previous post. It is from Eminence Organics called the Strawberry Rhubarb Hyaluronic Serum. (Sorry, I can't link the site since I'm a new member apparently!) I've worked with this line and their products are incredible!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a wikipedia article about hyaluronic acid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyaluronan

The article also discusses its benefits and potential side effects.
periwinkle7
5% products discount

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
How low does the molecular weight need to be? I looked up marshmallow root extract, and I couldn't find anything to do with Hyaluronic acid, except for with that serum. Pretty_Simple, I don't want to put strawberry juice on my face. What will the flies think? Neutral It's a nice thought though.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Heard good things about it, so I bought HA serum recently. Will provide you a feedback in a month or so. Just so you know, will also give 1 bottle to my mother. She has wrinkly skin. She probably is a good candidate for HA serum Smile
I am always looking for products to improve my skin, always researching for good products, as I can not really afford plastic surgery or laser treatments or any treatments. I would like and hope to grow old gracefully (my goal). Also, I am scared of going through the knife... Smile

yeahyeah wrote:
I'm now trialing a HA serum, as I read how HA can plump up the skin and is excellent for dry, dehydrated skin. And my skin is in NEED of moisture! Lots of products/brands are promoting HA, so it must be good right Confused
However, I've read that HA can damage the skin Question I cant remember if its on this forum or somewhere else, and I cant seem to find that thread here.
Can anyone shed some light on this issue?
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Here's an article on the benefits of ha by pharmacist Suzy Cohen

http://www.marconews.com/news/2009/apr/14/ask-pharmacist-hyaluronic-acid-may-help-your-skin-/

I take NeoCell ha capsules daily...they do keep moisture in and plump the skin but I am most happy with the benefit to my eyesight.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
From what I've read, hyaluronic acid is one of the most effective anti-aging ingredients.

It's also included in some high-end multivitamins.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
The instruction given on the label on the HA serum is that you only have to put 1-2 drops on your favourite moisturizer and on a cleansed face. I just got mine this afternoon and hopefully will give you an update in a couple of weeks.... will keep you posted...
cocoagirl
5% products discount

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
any updates to the use of Hyaluronic acids? I have oily/combo dehydrated skin and want to embark on using OCM to cleanse. I was also looking at an oil to moisturize (have watermelon and meadowseed in my cart) and so was looking for a hyaluronic acid or hydrosol to use before the moisture oil. I live in a climate that is very cold in winter and hot in summer, would a hyaluronic acid be good for me (diy or GOW) or should I look for a formulated vegan product with hyal as an ingredient? The goal is to not dry my skin/dehydrate it more than it already is.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
I personally like using HA with oils. I usually blend them together in the palm of my hand then apply. Honestly, I find it works as good (or better) than most high priced moisturizers. My skin is normal, slightly dry, but using a lighter oil should work for more oily skin. Meadowfoam is nice, I've not tried watermelon, but is supposed to be good for those with oily complexions.

GOW has a good selection of oils and HAs. I use their products frequently.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
I personally like using HA with oils. I usually blend them together in the palm of my hand then apply. Honestly, I find it works as good (or better) than most high priced moisturizers. My skin is normal, slightly dry, but using a lighter oil should work for more oily skin. Meadowfoam is nice, I've not tried watermelon, but is supposed to be good for those with oily complexions.

GOW has a good selection of oils and HAs. I use their products frequently.

Mixing HA with a moisturizer ( like Cerave PM lotion) also works very well.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 am      Reply with quote
That's what I do as well. Just on its own most of the HA's don't moisturize enough, unless its the Hydra Cool. That stands alone for me.
I just reordered some. I had just bought another generic HA off Amazon and it does not do enough by itself. I have to mix it with a Decleor or Cerave at night.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I mixed my HA with Vitamin E oil and it works for me too, to bring more hydration on a combination skin...
cocoagirl
5% products discount

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Ok so for clarification (for my Oily t-zone, dehydrated forehead, combo cheeks) I live in a climate that is cold in the winter, hot in summer, if an HA product will pull the moisture from my skin should I NOT use it now while its cold? Or will adding an oil on top fix that issue? Or should I just skip the HA and opt for a hdyrosol or hydragel or some other product that doesn't contain HA? I'm really confused by this one..
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've just read an article about the connection between stress, hormones, vascular leakiness, increased blood viscosity and blood clots, hypothyroid, and fibrinogen to the development of tumors. HA breaks down in connective tissues due to stress, and with age increases in the blood stream. Degraded HA is apparently pro-inflammatory which makes it potentially metastatic:
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/bleeding-clotting-cancer.shtml
auburneyz
5% products discount

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a link to a very interesting video: Hyaluronic Acid, "The Fountain Of Youth". ABC Prime Time Special with Connie Chung. This very video is what prompted me to research HA, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon EDS! I enjoyed the video, hope you do to!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefdHNnDuv4&list=FLndTTGrl6xPR0c35avNlHuQ

Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |