Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Skin thickening eye cream?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I've been using NIA24 eye cream to thicken the thin skin around my eyes, but I've developed a serious allergy to niacin so I can't use it anymore. Sad
I'm using retinol (Skinceuticals 1%) every other night so I'm worried about my skin thinning too much and looking crepey.

Can anyone recommend a "thickening" eye cream that doesn't contain niacin?

Also, I've ordered Skinceuticals CE Ferulic serum. Will I be able to use that around my eyes? I know it doesn't contain niacin, just wondering if it's too strong to use on the eye area. Wink
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Magica, I think you are using a skin thickening cream already. Retinoids are the only ingredients that are actually proven to promote collagen synthesis, hence thickening skin, when used consistently for many months and years.

Since retinol is thinning the outermost layers of the skin, your skin might look "crepey" initially. You will however get the skin thickening benefits in the long run.

If I were you, I would definitely continue using Skinceuticals Retinol cream around my eyes (perhaps the 0.5 % if the 1 % gives your under eye skin the "crepey" look).

I use SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic around my eyes and on my lips (!), prior to applying lip balm, every morning without any problems.

Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Septembergirl. I feel much better after reading your reply. Smile
You're of course right about retinol thickening skin in the long run, but I'm an impatient one. Laughing
A couple of months ago I upgraded from Skinceuticals 0.5% to 1% Retinol and I'm getting great results from it.
The NIA24 eye cream seemed to keep the eye crepey-ness at bay, so I'm pretty disappointed I can't use it anymore. After stopping, my eyes are looking the slightest bit crepey again. I might just have to deal with it until my skin gets used to the higher consentration of retinol.

Happy to hear you can use CE Ferulic around the eyes. I'll definitely try using it on my lips as well. Thanks for the tip. Anything to combat the cold Norwegian winter air, right? Wink
(I think I remember reading in another thread that you're also in Norway. Apologies if that wasn't you)
Thanks again.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Magica wrote:

Happy to hear you can use CE Ferulic around the eyes. I'll definitely try using it on my lips as well. Thanks for the tip. Anything to combat the cold Norwegian winter air, right? Wink
(I think I remember reading in another thread that you're also in Norway. Apologies if that wasn't you)
Thanks again.

Hi, Magica. So you are from Norway, too. How nice. I thought you were from Tryll (= de Spell). Eh?

You are right. We certainly need the most potent stuff to protect our skin from cold wind, wet snowflakes and dry air inside the house. I plan to give NIA24 a try some time, but I hope to have better luck than you... Too bad it did not agree with your skin.

Btw, I am currently using Relastin Eye Silk around my eyes (on top of SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic) in the AM. I have not noticed a dramatic improvement in my under eye lines after three months of use, but there is some evidence that this product might boost elastin production. I will continue using it. At least I can take advantage of the placebo effect. Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hi, Magica. So you are from Norway, too. How nice. I thought you were from Tryll (= de Spell). Eh?

Hehe. Someone said I look like Magica de Spell because of my pale skin and dark hair and I thought it was funny so the name stuck. Laughing

Quote:
You are right. We certainly need the most potent stuff to protect our skin from cold wind, wet snowflakes and dry air inside the house. I plan to give NIA24 a try some time, but I hope to have better luck than you... Too bad it did not agree with your skin.

Yes, I think it's a great line if your skin can tolerate it. The skin strenghtening face cream made me break out in a hideous rash the first time I tried it, but I was using the eye cream for a couple of months before I had an allergic reaction. I was hoping the rash was from some other ingredient and not from the niacin, but no such luck. Too bad- I've seen other people get really good results from NIA24.

Quote:
Btw, I am currently using Relastin Eye Silk around my eyes (on top of SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic) in the AM. I have not noticed a dramatic improvement in my under eye lines after three months of use, but there is some evidence that this product might boost elastin production. I will continue using it. At least I can take advantage of the placebo effect. Confused

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks Smile
Magica
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl I can't believe I asked you earlier if you're from Norway, and it says right there in your signature that you are. Laughing Laughing
I'm clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed at the moment...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Magica were you using everything from the NIA24 range....like cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream and SS or just the eyecream?....i am wondering if one product cause the reaction or whole combo?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
Magica were you using everything from the NIA24 range....like cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream and SS or just the eyecream?....i am wondering if one product cause the reaction or whole combo?

I was using the eye cream for about six weeks without any adverse reactions. I was really happy with it, so I tried the SS. After just a few hours, my face was covered in a really horrible rash. And it was itching like crazy!
I thought maybe I was allergic to one of the other ingredients in the SS, so after a few days I started using the eye cream again.
Used it for another couple of weeks and then one day my entire eye area swelled up and I looked like I'd lost a boxing match. Embarassed
And then the rash appeared all around my eyes...
I looked just wonderful! Laughing
So (to answer your question, sorry for the long explanation!) I've only tried the SS and the eye cream and both caused a bad allergic reaction.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |