Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi- want to stop after ONE week
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Emilia

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

After 5 days of using Obagi I decided to stop as I just couldn't take the peeling, redness, soreness and pain Sad
So after 5 days I stopped Tretinoin (0.1%) and kept to the rest of the Nu-derm routine. My skin is better but still red and peeling so I want to stop it fully, one week on.
So I was wondering, can I just stop or do I have to come off slowly? May be still use cleanser and toner?
I'm 24 and I'm on Obagi for minor acne and pigmentation..
I appreciate your advice guys
Crying or Very sad
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:01 am      Reply with quote
The is no reason that you can't stop it fully...there will be no withdrawal symptoms, lol.

There are several Obagi Nu Derm protocols - here is the link to the Sensitive skin protocol:
http://www.obagisale.com/pdf/GradualDrySunfader.pdf

The other option is to cut back to using the Nu Derm products just a few days a week, and eventually work up as you can. Dr. Obagi starts people on it as little as one day a week.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks...
It's just that I was not psychologically prepared for any of this, really did not expect it to be this bad. and even if I wanted to accept the way I looked, my skin really hurts the whole time so it keeps reminding me!
I feel like my skin was bad but not bad enough for me to put through this Crying or Very sad
Is it bad to just use cleanser and toner? or should I stop that as well?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Emilia wrote:
Thanks...
It's just that I was not psychologically prepared for any of this, really did not expect it to be this bad. and even if I wanted to accept the way I looked, my skin really hurts the whole time so it keeps reminding me!
I feel like my skin was bad but not bad enough for me to put through this Crying or Very sad
Is it bad to just use cleanser and toner? or should I stop that as well?

The Nu Derm program is pretty darn tough...I started and failed, but plan on starting back up after xmas.

I read Dr. O's dermatology textbook, and he talked a ton about how the Nu Derm program actually makes immense positive changes in your skin. However, it is brutal and not everyone can handle it.

You need to use the system together, because they work synergistically...the Toner puts your skin at the proper pH before you apply the Clear, etc. But you do not have to use ALL the components....lose the Exfoderm and the Sunfader if you are using those. You MUST use a strong sunscreen, but you can use any one you want (spf 30 or higher).

How about if you stay on the program, but scale back dramtically on the parts that are causing the problems?

2 days a week use the whole program
5 days a week just use the cleanser and the toner...but no other non-NuDerm products

Then you can work up slowly. It will take longer to get see results, but it should not be as horrible.

BTW, do you have a professional guiding you through this?

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:42 am      Reply with quote
yes I was prescribed this by a doctor but I would need to make another appointment and I just can't put up with this through to next appointment and also I feel like I can't face my doctor with my 'backing out' Sad
Emilia

Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
oh and now that I have stopped using the products, can I use Neutrogena moisturiser to help with the dryness? or might my skin react badly?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Emilia wrote:
oh and now that I have stopped using the products, can I use Neutrogena moisturiser to help with the dryness? or might my skin react badly?

What the Nu Derm regimen does is actually recalibrate your skin to be less sensitive and have less problems (ie dryness, acne)...but using anything outside of the Nu Derm products will defeat that. Nu Derm has 2 products that you can use as necessary - Action (I hated it) and Tolereen (helped me a lot).

If you don't have either of those, try to make do by using nothing. If you can't do that, I would probably recommend a cortisone cream over the Neutrogena cream which could cause stinging and more redness. But you really need to limit that, because cortisone stops the rejuvenation process.

Can you take a couple of days off and try using nothing but water (rinsing in the am and pm)on your skin to let it calm down a bit?

BTW, studies are showing that moisturizer is not good for your skin and causes MORE dryness because it overwets the skin barrier and lets moisture escape. You want to move away from using moisturizers.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your help, this is such a good forum!
I will not use anything then as you said, only rinse and we will see.... so depressing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Emilia wrote:
Thank you so much for your help, this is such a good forum!
I will not use anything then as you said, only rinse and we will see.... so depressing

If your doctor didn't tell you that you would be going through this, then I would also think about finding a new doctor. Keep us posted!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Emilia, try to use a zinc diaper rash ointment if your skin is really irritated/raw. That should help heal your skin. Have you used Retin A before? If not, I think your 0.1% is too strong for you and you may think about asking your derm to take it down to the .05 strength.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Oh dear, I finally got up the nerve to order some of the Obagi line last night and reading this thread has gotten me all nervous again!! Shock
Good thing ObagiSale has that 60 day return policy in case I chicken out!

I ordered the Blender, Clear and Exoferm. If I had the $, I would have sprung for the whole shebang but I love my NIA 24 sunscreen and I couldn't figure out what made the cleanser and toner so special from their ingredients lists. (I know the pH is vital but I have a toner that accomplishes that). I am already on Retin A Micro .04% and have a couple tubes of Retin A Micro .1%, should I ever need that.
Anyone else use the Retin A Micro with Obagi? I don't often see that mentioned....Is there anything about the Micro that is contraindicated with Obagi?

Bethany - maybe we can support each other in a New Year's Obagi attempt?! Very Happy
Emilia

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
yeh it definitely needs courage, I've been at home since I started and I still have no courage to face myself- let alone others..
I've read stories about people who's peeling and redness did not stop even after 10 weeks and I just can't come to terms with that!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Emilia, did your derm talk to you about this system and what you would be in for? He/she should have explained all of this to you. If you want to continue once your skin has calmed down, I would strongly suggest you use the products daily, just decrease the amount to just a tiny bit. If you don't use the Retin A daily, you will continue to be flaky/peely, etc. Your skin will never get adjusted to the RA if you don't use it daily.

Brenpatsa, is the RA micro a gel? If so, then it really is not advised. The blender is meant to be used with a RA cream, not gel. Not everyone has such bad flaking/peeling. You will more than likely be red, and that is most often due to the Exfoderm (though the Clear will contribute a little).
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
mmm...I wonder why the Micro isn't supposed to be used....or what will happen if I try it anyway since that's what I already have?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
mmm...I wonder why the Micro isn't supposed to be used....or what will happen if I try it anyway since that's what I already have?

Well you could definitely try it if you wanted to. But, because it is not recommended becuase the micro is a gel. It is usually hard to mix the blender with the gel form of RA and get an even consistency.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Gotcha..so it's a consistency issue. And I assume from the name 'Blender' that you have to blend the two and can't layer?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
That's right, brenpatsa, you have to blend the 2 together!
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
RileyGirl - I have been spending the evening searching EDS for Obagi info and I just came upon the post where you said that you went thru the entire Obagi regimen and never say any results? That's awful for you!! And here you spend so much time helping the rest of us!! Very kind of you!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
RileyGirl - I have been spending the evening searching EDS for Obagi info and I just came upon the post where you said that you went thru the entire Obagi regimen and never say any results? That's awful for you!! And here you spend so much time helping the rest of us!! Very kind of you!

That was when I first "used" the system several years ago, brenpatsa. Actually, I did what most people do the first time I used Nu Derm. I picked products to use, meaning I chose my own cleanser, and my own toner, didn't use the Clear, used a different AHA, and really only used the Blender and Retin A! I did not "do nu derm" and I added a nu derm product here and there. That is not how nu derm works.

That was the start of my learning. Went to a nurse, learned all about the system from her, did my own research, then I repeated the process the right way. I always preach to use all the products in the system, to use the correct amount of products, etc, etc. Because, if you do not, you will not get results (like my original try at "doing nu derm").

After using the system as it was supposed to be used, I had great results, brenpatsa. It completely faded all my freckles, and my skin was nice and even. But, my next failure, I did not stay on maintenance. So, here I am just beginning the last 6 weeks of a 3rd 18 week cycle!
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Ahh..I get it. Well then you really know all of the ups and downs, in and outs of Obagi use, huh?

How has your experience been this time? Did you have all of the same peeling, etc or was it less because there was less damage to slough off?

You know what is weird? I am a fair skinned, Irish girl with light freckling all over my face. All freckles are sun-related of course but I don't necessarily consider them to be the same type of sunspots that one gets with age. Anyway, I don't hate them but I would love to see myself with a clear, even complexion but I am a bit afraid that I will look too pale then. I think my overall freckling actually gives me color!! I keep reading though that the Retin A increases capillary growth near the skin, resulting in a rosy glow, so I am counting on that rosiness to compensate!
Of course, I am totally getting ahead of myself. I don't even know if I have the guts to tough this out.......

Even after searching the forums, I am confused about one thing. Can I wear foundation (Nanci's liquid mineral foundation) on my skin during the "molting"? If not, why not? I can't imagine not being able to tone down the redness!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
brenpatsa wrote:
How has your experience been this time? Did you have all of the same peeling, etc or was it less because there was less damage to slough off?

Even after searching the forums, I am confused about one thing. Can I wear foundation (Nanci's liquid mineral foundation) on my skin during the "molting"? If not, why not? I can't imagine not being able to tone down the redness!

Well, I have what I call croc hide (!) and I never got the bad peeling. I had flaking, mostly around my mouth (which is normal, as that is the area that one moves the most). My face was red, which was from the exfoderm, but nothing that sunscreen doesn't really tone down.

Yes, you can wear make-up on the system. You may not want to, because you will start flaking mid day, and late date (usually those are the times the flaking gets pretty noticeable), and the make-up might not look too good! Good luck if you decide to use it. Nu derm is the only thing to date that has "worked" on my skin, and has done exactly what it said it would do!
Jeffiner13
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I think it is important to ride it out and let the system take it's course. I have been on the system for 10 weeks and what I am noticing as far as changes to my skin have been worth redness and the lizard look. I definitely think that starting off with the 0.05 retin A is crucial and I feel so sorry that the system was such a bad experience at first. But like many of the ladies have said in this thread start off slow but give it a try.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I used the entire system when I was at your age. I got amazing results after all the peeling was gone. It took about 6 weeks from what I remember I would definitely used it again.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Emilia wrote:
Hi everyone,

After 5 days of using Obagi I decided to stop as I just couldn't take the peeling, redness, soreness and pain Sad
So after 5 days I stopped Tretinoin (0.1%) and kept to the rest of the Nu-derm routine. My skin is better but still red and peeling so I want to stop it fully, one week on.
So I was wondering, can I just stop or do I have to come off slowly? May be still use cleanser and toner?
I'm 24 and I'm on Obagi for minor acne and pigmentation..
I appreciate your advice guys
Crying or Very sad
Heres a really great article on what to do when you use irritating products.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-solutions-allergy-prone-skin-tips.aspx I find it very helpful when it happens to me.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:17 am      Reply with quote
That is a really great article!!! It is true, a cortosteroid cream can really help. Not sure how this article applies to Obagi, since irritation/redness is to be expected... but very good nonetheless.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |