Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Women of colour using obagi
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Im going to try obagi for my neck i have had success with it on the body away from sunlight

I would like to hear from any black women who have used the obagi line if possible

im concerned about rebound darkening so would love to get some feedback

Thanks
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Bump ...anyone? Sad
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:31 am      Reply with quote
hi there londongirl,
guess you and I are the only women of color using Obagi. I have only been on the product for 7 weeks, so i am not sure about rebound darkening.
please post your results if you try the product on your neck.
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi isa09 Very Happy

Great to hear from you ...someone at last! lol

My skin dilemma is i don't have a uniform shade on my face/neck to to my body

Most people yes the face will be slighter darker but mine is a joke

For reference im about a NW 45-NW 47 on my face and neck
I use a Becca foundation for my face in chestnut which is a medium brown and a perfect match

the rest of my body however is a NC 45-NC 50

nightmare!!! while my skin tone is smooth the whole zebra thing needs to stop so i hope that the obagi will lighten me up without giving my that bleached pink look to the skin Laughing

What are you trying to correct on obagi and what is your current skin tone
Have you noticed any change in the 7 weeks?
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
i am not familiar with the products (or terminology) that you are using, what is NW...

I have some minimal color diff head-neck
I am focusing on the face right now.
acne prone skin for many years. want to correct the hyperpigmentation and acne scarring, reduce the pore size.

Obagi is working pretty well so far, the blemishes are fading and i have gotten quite a bit of overall bleaching. My skin has lightened several shades (was not prepared for that), but boy am I RED! a co-worker asked me how i got the sun burn. Shock ooh, was i embarrassed, (and i mistakenly thought i was looking pretty good)

since the bleaching is so dramatic, perhaps it will work to match the color diff between your face and neck?
the instruction say to use the #3 clear on dark skin -full face day, dark spot at night. I do full face day and night.

btw, i used the clear on my neck a few days ago. won;t do that again. thought i was gonna catch fire! now i have significant irritation and inflammation.
keep e posted on your progress wave
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hey

Oh my gosh sorry i meant to say MAC NC 45 etc if you go on the mac page under foundations you can see the colour charts http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/

Damn it turned you red Shock maybe its the retin a as well i know that can be pretty intensive

I tried using retin with the clear on my neck had to stop like you my neck felt like it was on FIRE!!!

So i will only use a little retin maybe every other night
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe the clear will do a better job of skin bleaching than the Retin A.

I am not much of a foundation person, (i must while on this regimen, need to tone down the red). I do love MAC cosmetics, but i plan to try the bare minerals line. it has a natural look and they have shades for darker skin tones.
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
The Becca shade in chesnut is what i use on my face if im going to use foundation and thats a perfect match for my face

If i swipe that on my body its sooo dark there Mad

i just want to be one nice even tone like this woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuIU83UZX9I&feature=channel_page

heres hoping lol!

Im thinking of taking some pics...yeah i think i will do that
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
i am working on one tone too!
looking for h2t pumpkin peel and will use that on my body. ohhhhh leaves you with a silky feeling!
Sinita

Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I've been thinking of using the Obagi Nu-derm regime but just wanted to find out if other women of colour have tried using it without the Tretinoin Cream. I'm based in the UK and can't obtain this cream.

Does anyone know if the regime will be effective without this cream? My aim is to achieve an even skin tone.

Thanks Smile
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sinita,
i used the line without the retin A about 3 yrs ago.
to be honest, i had great results, no peeling
or redness either
just took a little longer to finish the 1st phase.
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Hello Sinita

I currently only use the clear i still peel with it which is normal
i have been getting REALLY great results from the clear without retin a and it hasn't been a full month yet! Cool
Sinita

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your responses. I'll try the system now!
Lillady T

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys....I just joined the obagi "nation" and I am a 31 year old african-american woman. I love the product but I just hate the flaking. What do you suggest. This is only my first week!
isa09
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:39 am      Reply with quote
lillady,
you must have patience!
exfoliation is part of the renewal process
you can try the Obagi Action (which is a hydocortizone based moisturizer) to minimize the flakes...but that will just slow down you "out with the old" process.
Try using your fingers when you wash your face to remove the "ready to fall" dead skin. Don't over do it, you face will be very sore.
You may also consider an exfoliation cloth.
otherwise, endure the flaking and peeling for a few weeks -IT WILL GET BETTER, and your skin will be beautiful!
ahill01

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a black woman using Obagi. I started at the end of December and have been on ever since. I went to a place that specializes in Obagi products and I was not using the system correctly, but now I am. I started using Obagi because my mom has been on it for several years and her skin looks great! Right now I'm going through the burning and redness. Since I'm black, the redness is not THAT noticeable, only if you are up close. I am starting to see the results I want. But I do notice that it's somewhat darker around my eyes and close to my mouth; places where I really can't put the clear. Has anyone else noticed that. I bought all my Obagi products online, so you don't need a prescription for the Tretinoin.
Lillady T

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Issa! I just feel ashy and tight all the time...I called my derm and a nurse is going to do an enzyme peel have you ever heard of that?
macgirl3121
5% products discount

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:32 am      Reply with quote
ahill01 wrote:
I'm a black woman using Obagi. I started at the end of December and have been on ever since. I went to a place that specializes in Obagi products and I was not using the system correctly, but now I am. I started using Obagi because my mom has been on it for several years and her skin looks great! Right now I'm going through the burning and redness. Since I'm black, the redness is not THAT noticeable, only if you are up close. I am starting to see the results I want. But I do notice that it's somewhat darker around my eyes and close to my mouth; places where I really can't put the clear. Has anyone else noticed that. I bought all my Obagi products online, so you don't need a prescription for the Tretinoin.

Hi,I have noticed this as well. I hope everything will eventually even out.
macgirl3121
5% products discount

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Lillady T wrote:
Thanks Issa! I just feel ashy and tight all the time...I called my derm and a nurse is going to do an enzyme peel have you ever heard of that?

I have been using this system for 4 weeks now. Had an appoinment with my nurse last night and she did an enzyme peel along with some microdermabrasion.
jackiet_mcc
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,
I have been using the Obagi Nu Der system for about 15 years. I am an african american woman, and I attribute my youthful appearance to years of Obagi. I can probably answer most of your questions because I have been through it all.
As for being able to use clear around your mouth, I don't know where you got the idea that you couldnt', but you can. In fact, you should use it everywhere. The product that you want to be care with is the retina on the eye area and the exfoderm on the eyes. Since both products peel, you can go too deep on the eyes, and they will get very irritated.
As for the enzyme peel, you can do that yourself. It isn't very strong and you can buy the products online. I personally have done lactic acid and tca peels myself. Currently though, I'm doing Jessner's with my derm.
If I get too peel, though I'll do an enzyme.
If you've only been doing the Obagi for a few weeks, I encournage you to keep going. There will be times when you want to quit. It is very irritating. The protocol calls for 18 weeks. Don't stop, and if you don't do the maintenance, you skin will revert back. But if you go through the process, you will have skin that is unbelieveable, and you will love being able to go naked.
macgirl3121
5% products discount

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for replying. Do you recommend any particular type of enzyme peel? I hadn't heard of this type of peel before. I keep being told that I can wear makeup. I normally wear MAC and I just don't see how makeup will look decent on scaly flaking skin. Any advice? I don't think of quitting. I want a return on my investment. Laughing At my appointment yesterday the nurse said that I had peeled A LOT and told me to stop for a day to minimize any irritation. Otherwise,I'm doing the protocol. She said that my skin was responding well and doing what it's supposed to. She has me on Retin A/Blender 4 nights in a row then Exfoderm the other 3 nights.
jackiet_mcc
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mac,
I use an enzyme peel from MUAC. I'ts premixed and works well. It works really well to get the peelies. Also you can use zinc oxide, the diaper rash cream. Get the store brand at Walgreens or CVS. Wash your face and let it dry out. You'll see all of the peelies. Put the cream on and leave it on for a while. When you wipe it off, the peelies will come with it. YOu can repeat if you like. This works as good, and maybe better then the enzyme peel, and it costs $3.00. Don't worry about skin sensitivity. I cant guarentee you won't be sensitive, but if a baby's butt isn't, I don't think your face will be. It's fine to use, so don't worry. The reason a recommend allowing your skin to dry out before applying is if you do it right after you wash your face, the skin is really soft. You will probably get a lot more peelies, but you could also peel down too far.

I'm really glad to find people who are using Obagi. I have told many people about it, but people are not willing to go through the process. They want instant gratification. But this is really worth the discomfort and what I call the uglies.
I use the products as follows:
AM: C Rx and/or C Professional, Exfoderm Forte, Clear, Sunfader, SPF 35 Skin Protector. I also use a product called Aclaro which I got from my derm. It helps with lightening some discoloration I got from a bad reaction to a product (Not obagi).
PM: C serum, clear, blender and retina 0.05%.
I use the regular gel cleanser, and although I have toner, I never use. I'm not encouraging anyone else not to, I just have never seen any benefit.
I a considering adding copper peptides to y regie, but I think I'll wait until I'm on maintenance.
Yes, makeup is a problem. I look a mess most of the time, but because of the discoloration, I have to wear something. I'll be glad when I can wear nothing. That's the beauty of the product, it allows you to wear nothing. And here's something I bet you didn't know. I am a brown skinned african american woman. But, after I go through the program, I can pinch my cheeks and get a blush. So, instead of using blush, I just give y cheeks a pinch, put on some gloss and go. You'll see, it will happen to you. It is one of the most pleasant things about Obagi. It's because there's a lot of blood flow, which is what makes your skin so healthy. One thing I do to help is to drink a lot of water, if you don't already. I don't like drinking it but I do 64 ounces. That's only 4 bottles of water. Two at work and two when I get home.
And like I said I'm getting Jessner's peels from y derm, but I will do a few very mild lactic acid peels in between. When I first started using the product through a plastic surgeon, the nurse would do a glycolic peel every month, and I would use the products. The peels make the products work better because you get better obsorbtion.
I'm so glad I found you ladies. This skincare thing is really important to me, and it's great to find like minded people.
Macgirl, how does your face look. The peel starts around the eyes, moves down to the cheeks, then the mouth, and fans out to the sides of the face. The last to peel is usually the forehead. At least that's how it is for me.
jackiet_mcc
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Sinita,
You can purchase the tretinoin online. I fyou pm me, I'll give you the info.
macgirl3121
5% products discount

Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I started peeling on my chin first then nose and cheeks. I'm on the 1% RA. I have a LOT of dark spots but in a good amount have faded in 4 weeks. Thanks for the info. I figure I'll try to wear makeup on my anniversary in 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to not having to wear full coverage foundation in a few months.
jackiet_mcc
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Full Coverage? LOL, you won't be wearing anything. You'll be naked.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |