Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Moisturizer is dehydrating my skin????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SalvadorMontenegro

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, all. First off, I'm new here. Secondly, I'm a dude. I figured women probably know more about skin care than men, so, here I am!

So, here's my problem:

My skin is dehydrated.

I'm 25 and very pale. My skin is very sensitive, as well. Facial scrubs destroy my skin. For a while I was using them and I looked horrible. It seems now, though, that moisturizers also dehydrate my skin.

Right now I wash with Cetaphil twice a day (morning before shaving and night before bed) and use Eucerin's Q10 moisturizer as an aftershave/moisturizer. For awhile, I was using it twice a day.

Now, I've used a lot of products. Tried a lot of products, that is. Just about every moisturizer seems to dehydrated my skin. I get fine lines at the corners of my mouth, on my forehead and on my cheeks when I stretch my skin. This has been going on for about a year.

To be honest, I look fairly awful right now. I don't have the foggiest idea what's going on. I used to have sensitive, oily skin, now I look like a cadaver and it has been a precipitous decline. I used to smoke, but quit nine months ago. I drink about two cups of coffee a day, but even when I cut that out, my skin looks the same. I drink a lot of water, too. I also take flaxseed oil.

I've always been pretty knowledgeable about skin care, because I had terrible acne as a teenager and very sensitive skin. I can't figure this out, though. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I use the moisturizer mainly for the SPF, since I'm so pale. But it's making me look awful and I have no clue why. I worry that I've somehow permanently ruined my face.

Please help!
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Can you list the ingredients of your moisturizer?

You would be better off to avoid lotions, which are oil suspended in water, and go for creams, which is water suspended in oil. Lotions can sometimes dehydrate quickly, whereas creams will keep a protective barrier over your skin.

Sounds like you need a thick cream. La Roche Posay has a good thick cream for sensitive skin called TOLERIANE RICHE which contains shea butter and some other very moisturizing ingredients. There is also a regular version that is not "RICHE" but it is less moisturizing. Try applying moisturizer when your skin is still moist because then it locks some of the moisture in your skin all day. A lot of SPFs are not that moisturizing, so you will need to use a good moisturizer under it, then put the SPF of your choice on top.

Cetaphil is a good cleanser and I use it myself. But there are also more moisturizing cleansers on the market too. I think La Roche Posay has some moisturizing cleansers, also some people cleanse using oils. I dont know the details of oil cleansing but im sure you could do a search for it here. It would be good only if you don't break out anymore.
SalvadorMontenegro

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
Here are the ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate, Octisalate, Oxybenzone

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Alcohol Denat., Octyldodecanol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Panthenol, Ubiquinone (Coenzyeme Q10), Macadamia Nut Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Lecithin, Disodium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Carbomer, EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

The interesting thing is that my skin actually looks better and less dehydrated WITHOUT moisturizer. For instance, right now my face has nothing on it and while it doesn't look great, it looks a hell of a lot better than it did when I had moisturizer on it.

My guess is that maybe moisturizers somehow interfere with my skins natural oils, so that my skin thinks it's moisturized when moisturizer is on it, so it doesn't produce any natural moisture. I have no idea. That's just a guess.

I feel like a freak. I'm the only person I know who actually gets dried out by a product designed to moisturize.

For the record, I can't see a dermatologist right now because my health insurance is in limbo...
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
One of the ingredients in that moisturizer that is contributing to your dehydration is alcohol denat. (denatured alcohol). You should try to avoid that ingredient. Have you tried the other Eucerin moisturizer for sensitive skin (the cream one) which doesn't contain alcohol denat.?
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I agree. Alcohol denat is, in my opinion, one of the worst ingredients in skin care! Cetyl Alcohol is fine though. Some alcohols are actually moisturizing and gentle and recommended for dry skin, while others are not. I find that alcohol denat really irritates and dries my skin, and over the long run I think it is to be avoided. Sometimes I do the "smell test" with moisturizers and other products. If it smells like alcohol, I avoid it. I really think there is a moisturizer out there for you, you have just not found the right one yet. A good idea is to go to sephora and try some free samples, that way you don't have to spend money to know if you like it. You might find that you need to use a natural moisturizer with only a few ingredients. There are actual oils you can just apply on your face which work well for some. Also Squalane/squalene oil at the health food store is both calming and moisturizing, and I know a plastic surgeon who recommends it to his patients to soothe the skin.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that cetyl alcohol is fine. It is a moisturizing alcohol. Not all alcohols are the same. Familiarize yourself with skincare ingredients. Paula Begoun has a good dictionary of skincare ingredients inwww.cosmeticscop.com. Or you can check the individual ingredients in detail inwww.wikipedia.org.
SalvadorMontenegro

Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
One of the only things that has ever worked for my skin is Thayer's Witch Hazel. It's an all natural toner with aloe vera, so it's actually more hydrating than dehydrating.

I may just say to hell with SPF and use all natural products. I mean, what's the point in worrying about what my skin is going to look like in the future if I don't use SPF when right now it looks awful?

As far as the alcohol denat goes, I don't know. I've used a lot of moisturizers and I tend to get a similar result. I used Olay Sensitive over the summer (no alcohol denat) and I had pretty much the same result.

To be honest, the best my skin ever looked was when I didn't wash it at all. I just used water and I shaved, which was exfoliating.

It's been a wreck for about a year. I forgot to mention that I have a ton of milia, which don't seem to go away. And the products that are supposed to make them go away, don't do it and just make my skin more dehydrated.

To make matters even worse, my skin really stresses me out, which of course, makes my skin worse. So I'm in this vicious cycle. Really annoying.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
SalvadorMontenegro wrote:
To be honest, the best my skin ever looked was when I didn't wash it at all. I just used water and I shaved, which was exfoliating.

Why don't you go back to doing what was working for you? SPF is very important, though. Maybe look at an SPF geared especially for men? That may make a difference for you.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
There are also natural products with spf! Lots of options for physical sunscreen. There's Devita, Keys, MyChelle, etc... Devita is a my moisturizer/sunscreen of choice. It's lovely.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
SalvadorMontenegro wrote:
The interesting thing is that my skin actually looks better and less dehydrated WITHOUT moisturizer. For instance, right now my face has nothing on it and while it doesn't look great, it looks a hell of a lot better than it did when I had moisturizer on it.

Studies have recently come out that show that moisturizers actually overwet the skin barrier, which allows more moisture to leave the skin...ultimately causing dryness, increased sensitivity, etc.

I have personally stopped using all moisturizers and facial oils so that my skin does not become dependent on them, and stop producing it's own moisture.

I would find an SPF product you can live with, and just stick to that. I am using ZO Skin Health Oclipse SPF 30. It is not cheap, but it goes on great, keeps your face from looking oily, and has not irritated my skin at all. If you send a PM to ZOskinhealth here on EDS, Donna will send you a free sample.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/zo-skin-health-oclipse-su-p_10228.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
bethany if you do not use any moisturizers/facial oils.....then what do you do after cleansing....just apply ur sunblock straight away....and what about at night...no product at all on skin after cleansing? Shock how has this affected your skin in terms of hydration.....do you feel its more drier or better then before?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Not Bethany, but I don't use any moisturizers either. I do use other skin care actives (ZO, Nu derm products, C, etc), just not a so-called moisturizer. After using Nu Derm, one does not really need any added moisture, as the skin is healthier. According to Dr. Obagi, occasional use of a moisturizer is fine, he just does not believe in daily use so you skin does not become "addicted" to them.
SalvadorMontenegro

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I was just thinking that maybe it's not the moisturizer, but the Cetaphil. I've heard that sodium lauryl sulfate can damage your skin. I used Cetaphil back when I was a teenager and was fine with it, but maybe my skin has acquired an aversion to it?
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Sal..DUMP the cetaphil. They changed their formula, and its AWFUL. It's soooo drying.

If you have no issues with acne, i say dont even use a cleanser. Just use a gentle wash cloth morning in the shower, and just rinse your face with warm water in the evenings.

purpose is even bad too...
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my I did not even know Cetaphil changed their formula. Is there a NEW cheap good cleanser , or something similar to the old formulation?
SalvadorMontenegro

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
See, I was curious about whether or not Cetaphil changed. It seemed like when they changed their packaging, the product got harsher. It still looks the same and smells the same, but it felt different.

I would do the water only thing, but I run a lot now, so I get pretty sweaty. Also, I have oily skin. I just happen to have dehydrated oily skin.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Sal, the running is good. It will increase circulation which might help your skin out.

Drink lots of water, and take fish oil...that helps as well.

id suggest you register (its free) to makeupalley.com

they have a huge database of product reviews written by users. i always go there.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:54 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
bethany if you do not use any moisturizers/facial oils.....then what do you do after cleansing....just apply ur sunblock straight away....and what about at night...no product at all on skin after cleansing? Shock how has this affected your skin in terms of hydration.....do you feel its more drier or better then before?

Simran,

I wash my face and let it dry fully, then I add whatever actives I am using (either ZO products or a Vivite Vibrance/Obagi C-Rx mixture). Then I apply sunscreen if it is in the morning.

At first I felt a little dry, but within a week my skin had normalized and was no longer feeling dry. I will occasionally use emu oil or the ZO Overnight Recovery Creme, but seldom more than once every 2 weeks now.

Here are some quotes from Dr. Obagi's dermatology textbook on moisturizer * spam alert *:

bethany wrote:
Obagi Skin Health Restoration and Rejuvenation
By Zein E. Obagi
Pages 23-24

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 am      Reply with quote
bethany, the article sounds scary but yet it's so~ true. What about serum at night then? Does that consider a moisturizer too? I guess eye cream is the same thing? So wat u saying is nothing on the face whatsoever at night after cleansing and toning? Or just moisturize like once a wk? Masks are fine?

And in the morning, just Vit C serum & ss, and then makeup? No moisturizer even though face feels dry. What about hands and body?

And finally, my most concerned issue... I've been using moisturizer religiously every night for the last few yrs. If I stop using it now, can I still save my skin from what the article was talking about? Sry for being paranoid. Your reply is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! Smile
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:29 am      Reply with quote
yea that article is scary!. Actually I Dont even know what actives are hahaha gonna have to look them up unless someone has a article or something? How do i know which actives are good for me?

Stardusty doesnt using vit c during day time make skin more sensitive to sun? Well thats what i read!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:17 am      Reply with quote
Really though, this is just one dermatologist's opinion. Others will have different opinions. For example, when I use Retin A, my skin gets very sensitive. Moisturizer for me helps protect the skin's surface so it does not get damaged. I dont know how much of this THEORY i believe. And it is a theory, since I dont see any studies to back up the claim. I think that if you are going to use just a plain old moisturizer with no actives, then it IS useless. But if you are using, say, an AHA moisturizer, or another active ingredient in the moisturizer like vitamin C or Retinol, it is beneficial. IMO
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:27 am      Reply with quote
simran wrote:
yea that article is scary!. Actually I Dont even know what actives are hahaha gonna have to look them up unless someone has a article or something? How do i know which actives are good for me?

Actives mean Retin A or a derivative (retinol, etc), topical C serum, AHA/BHA, etc. Check out smartskincare.com. They have a lot of good information about a lot of different things!

Amonavis, you are definitely correct. This is just one derms opinion. There have been several others come out and say that about moisturizers, as well, though recently. I look at it as everything in moderation. A little moisturizer when you need it is fine. You don't have to quit using oils, moisturizers completely. But, I also don't think one needs them daily, either!
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
simran, Vit C should be used only in the daytime just once a day as the other forum members told me. The purpose of Vit C is to help protect u more against the sun with your ss. It helps to reduce sun damage as it claims. Smile
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
simran, Vit C should be used only in the daytime just once a day as the other forum members told me. The purpose of Vit C is to help protect u more against the sun with your ss. It helps to reduce sun damage as it claims. Smile

there is soo many conflicting information its all very confusing..........i thought vit c taken internally i.e pill form etc can help protect the skin against sun damage and vit c applied topically on surface skin makes skin more sensitive to sun and hence you can cause more damage Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
simran, from what I know, Vit C taken internally has to be a lot to achieve the same effect if there's any at all. I guess a 1000mg daily of Vit C is good for its antioxidant benefits.

As for applying Vit C topically, it helps to further enhance the protection against the sun reducing free radicals. Also, it stimulates collagen production and provides an even skin tone. I'm not sure if that's true or not cuz I just started using a Vit C serum myself. I've been using it for 2wks and I don't notice anything unusual so yeah....
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |